Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
E: The Modern American versus the Awful app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Well, Hola worked, which is great.

I don't mind her short hair that much. She looks anime, but it's probably hinting at more character growth, which is probably going to be very likely with Korra.

Aertuun posted:

On the other hand, Nick seem determined not to make any money out of the show. The DVD for Book 2 is out soon in the UK! 20th October guys!

Great, we're already a year behind. GGs, Nick, GGs.

Maybe by next year we'll get a Blu-ray release of Sponge bob.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Michael Dante DiMartino's wedding cake topper. :3:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

Somehow that hair makes her look more anime than ever.

as well it should, considering korra is and always will be anime, as has been discussed

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like her short hair because it makes her look more anime, and I like anime. :kamina:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I like her short hair because it makes her look more anime, and I like anime. :anime:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I just like it short because it signifies at least a reason for it, like a change in character to cause it?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I just like it because it looks cool

Popcornicus
Nov 22, 2007

Watching ATLA for the first time to tide myself over until October. The last episode of ATLA Book 1 couldn't be more badass. Iroh and Zhao's confrontation, deicide, giant Avatar monster, and now Iroh and Zuko dueling each other...it just keeps getting better. Korra Book 3 attained this level of quality, but I wish the story would play out on a similarly epic scale - I guess that's hard to pull off without the backdrop of a global war.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Popcornicus posted:

Watching ATLA for the first time to tide myself over until October. The last episode of ATLA Book 1 couldn't be more badass. Iroh and Zhao's confrontation, deicide, giant Avatar monster, and now Iroh and Zuko dueling each other...it just keeps getting better. Korra Book 3 attained this level of quality, but I wish the story would play out on a similarly epic scale - I guess that's hard to pull off without the backdrop of a global war.

I've rewatched ATLA 5~ times, always happy I did. Such a great series.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I like Korra's short hair because there is less of it to swing around during a fight and it's harder for someone to grab it and mess up her...balance :downs:

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nostalgia Critic has made a Top 11 Worst Airbender episodes. With a surprise at the end.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/44744-top-11-worst-avatar-episodes

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Democratic Pirate posted:

I like Korra's short hair because there is less of it to swing around during a fight and it's harder for someone to grab it and mess up her...balance :downs:
Wouldn't leaving it down to swing everywhere be worse than when she had it tied in a ponytail?
:goonsay:

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Jesto posted:

Nostalgia Critic has made a Top 11 Worst Airbender episodes. With a surprise at the end.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/44744-top-11-worst-avatar-episodes

Called it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Babygravy posted:

Called it.

Spoil it for those of us who don't want to waste an hour watching smug nerds fail at humor.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Irish Joe posted:

Spoil it for those of us who don't want to waste an hour watching smug nerds fail at humor.

Dante Basco makes an appearance at the end saying he will be doing a challenge not it next week (interview)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jesto posted:

On the one hand, he voices some really weird personal issues as to why an episode is bad like with Sokka's Master being unnecessary - yet he doesn't realize that people can still doubt themselves when they're the not bender in the loving world of the Avatar, let alone making one mistake and blowing it out of proportion.

On the other hand, Rufio!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 17, 2014

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
He had a good point about the worst episode though.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
And combining "The Boiling Rock" into one part is a lovely idea

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, what, was it mostly filler episodes (I.E. the Great Divide, Avatar Day)?

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
The great divide, boiling cauldron part one, the serpent pass, the dancing one.. Can't remember the rest.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I didn't watch that countdown, but if it's anything like his original reviews then yeah I'm sure they're chock full of weird personal issues and subtle elements going over his head, even as he rightly enjoys the series.

So I'm not surprised he put Sokka's Master on his worst list, 'cuz I do remember him going off about how Sokka's swordsmanship was a needless extraneous trait, which of course was completely missing the point that it's actually meant to highlight and accentuate Sokka's preexisting qualities.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Babygravy posted:

The great divide, boiling cauldron part one, the serpent pass, the dancing one.. Can't remember the rest.

The Waterbending Master (where Katara fights sexism), The Painted Lady (for the environmentalist message), Bato of the Water Tribe (Aang being out-of-character)

He hates The Swamp too. I can understand not wanting to watch hillbilly swamp people, but he also hates swamps in general. That is just a wrong opinion. Swamps are spooky and awesome.

The video was all right, mainly because it had fewer of those godawful skits that his videos usually have. I would have preferred the Nostalgia Chick to review the show instead though.

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 17, 2014

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The reasons he has for hating various episodes in aggregate really makes him out to be quite the alpha nerd. He dislikes episodes for: romance, feminism, being outdoors (the swamp ew icky!), and environmentalism. Maybe in his top episodes show he'll talk about how much he loves "The Runaway" because all the money they get is non-fiat currency.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
He sort of has understandable problems as far as Cave of Two lovers goes. Its the same romantic cliches that we've seen thousands of times about how awkward it can get to start a relationship instead of the awkwardness that exists with being in or maintaining one. But he loses whatever he was going in the video with arguing the same with Water Bending master and maintains an obviousness that lasts until Great Divide. Yeah, I'd like it if the same feminist formula wasn't necessary to repeat ad nauseam, but sadly it still is. What a waste of an argument.

And as previously stated, gently caress him for thinking Swamps or the people who live in them is both too ugly of an environment to be shown or immediately Duck Dynasty. The whole point of the episode was showing that life is interconnected, what better goddamn Biome to illustrate that in but in a swamp?

EDIT: Now that I think about it the entire video is just him backpedaling on his personal issues because he's such a colossal fan-boy of the show. Everything except Dante Brasco is ultimately pointless.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 17, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rosalind posted:

The reasons he has for hating various episodes in aggregate really makes him out to be quite the alpha nerd. He dislikes episodes for: romance, feminism, being outdoors (the swamp ew icky!), and environmentalism. Maybe in his top episodes show he'll talk about how much he loves "The Runaway" because all the money they get is non-fiat currency.

Oh no, different opinions!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rosalind posted:

The reasons he has for hating various episodes in aggregate really makes him out to be quite the alpha nerd.

Well to be fair to him, he directly says that he doesn't hate any of these episodes and maintains that there are no bad episodes of ATLA, just ones that aren't as brilliant as the others.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Most of his criticisms aren't "don't do the thing" so much as they are "do the thing better." Which I definitely agree with on the romance front. And with the whole feminism angle of the Waterbending Master. I mean, what the hell was up with that episode? It wasn't even Katara's dedication and talent that actually convinced him to change; it was the random coincidence of her being the granddaughter of that chick he almost banged way back when. What were they trying to say with that? :psyduck:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nephthys posted:

Well to be fair to him, he directly says that he doesn't hate any of these episodes and maintains that there are no bad episodes of ATLA, just ones that aren't as brilliant as the others.

Counterpoint: Literally the only good part of The Divide was the last 30 seconds or so.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Most of his criticisms aren't "don't do the thing" so much as they are "do the thing better." Which I definitely agree with on the romance front. And with the whole feminism angle of the Waterbending Master. I mean, what the hell was up with that episode? It wasn't even Katara's dedication and talent that actually convinced him to change; it was the random coincidence of her being the granddaughter of that chick he almost banged way back when. What were they trying to say with that? :psyduck:

She confronted him with the consequences of his sexism in the past when he realized who she was, that opened him to appreciate her talent and dedication.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Spergatory posted:

Well, it wasn't exactly because she was the granddaughter; it was because he was reminded that his narrow-minded traditionalism cost him the love of his life (the grandma was explicitly said to have left because she hated tradition being forced on her), and that he was basically forcing another generation to relive his mistakes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Read posted:

She confronted him with the consequences of his sexism in the past when he realized who she was, that opened him to appreciate her talent and dedication.

Yeah, Katara had talent out the wazoo but he was ignoring it because of his sexism until he was confronted by that. It's honestly a bit more realistic than "I'm super-sexist but you're just so awesome I ignore that" because sexism tends to include downplaying or devaluing talent.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Nephthys posted:

I also think the reason he hates cliches is because he's probably seen so much poo poo that uses the same dumb cliches that he gets irked by it by nature now. Also while I appreciate swamps as an important part of creating a healthy environment, they are also in places that are very humid and mosquito ridden so I can understand why someone hates them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I also think the reason he hates cliches is because he's probably seen so much poo poo that uses the same dumb cliches that he gets irked by it by nature now. Also while I appreciate swamps as an important part of creating a healthy environment, they are also in places that are very humid and mosquito ridden so I can understand why someone hates them.

Eh, everything is a cliche. There are only a set number of ways you can tell a story that has a coherent and thematically relevant ending. How the cliche is used is a lot more important than the fact it is a cliche. That's something any good critic should know.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Spergatory posted:

Yeah that episode was kind of a mess. "The Warriors of Kyoshi" did it much better because it took the commonplace "woman wants to train with the men" idea and inverted it with Sokka wanting to train with the women warriors.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Putting Boiling Rock into one episode would be way too packed, and seemed way to contrived. One of my favorite aspects about those episodes is the Sokka and how he deals with failure. The entire setup is Sokka trying to atone for the invasion going wrong, despite not being his fault. The first episode is all the planning and setups he does, only for the escape to fail, and again because of things outside of his control. The reasons for the failures also have a neat parallel in that they both involve someone not being where they should be; the Firelord in the Throne Room and his father at the prison. Instead of falling apart, especially considering the stakes, he just gets ready for the next plan and the next time with a bit of help from his friends. It makes for a good pairing of episodes, with a good payoff in the end. I will admit that Part 1 drags a bit, but hardly enough to deserve being cut.

If it was one episode, that setup would seem way to contrived. The length of the two parts gives it time for this message to come together. Anything less would seem hokey and far too "kids show" than Avatar is.

You would also lose too much of fun side stuff that makes Boiling Rock a great pair of episodes. The stuff with the Guards, the Prison Riot setup, Suki kicking the poo poo out of the Warden and crew. I doubt they would cut anything from it, the fight sequence at the end is one of the series best and has a good length to it. And if you don't like Zuko's little scene in the cooler, I don't know what to say;

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's cool that he admits in the video that calling these episodes the "worst" is, while technically accurate, has incredibly misleading connotations, and then he proceeds to title the video that anyway, like some clickbait rear end in a top hat.

Also it's clear that he was struggling to nitpick so he could make it a Top 11 list instead of the Top 5.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Spergatory posted:

Most of his criticisms aren't "don't do the thing" so much as they are "do the thing better."

Zhu Li!!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I recognise that this was briefly mentioned, but his reasons for disliking The Swamp are just bizarre. Apparently it's a bad episode because a) it's set in a swamp (and not a "spooky forest"!), b) it guest cast is vaguely reminiscent of Deliverance, and this is an inherently bad thing, and c) none of the dream sequences are relevant to the show's overall plot, bar the brief appearance of Toph.

AKA, highly arbitrary crap, illogical normative statements and pro-serialisation bias. Which you know, is fine, if you happen to agree with all those statements, but it's kind of bargain basement criticism, and that video is riddled with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Open Source Idiom posted:

I recognise that this was briefly mentioned, but his reasons for disliking The Swamp are just bizarre. Apparently it's a bad episode because a) it's set in a swamp (and not a "spooky forest"!), b) it guest cast is vaguely reminiscent of Deliverance, and this is an inherently bad thing, and c) none of the dream sequences are relevant to the show's overall plot, bar the brief appearance of Toph.

AKA, highly arbitrary crap, illogical normative statements and pro-serialisation bias. Which you know, is fine, if you happen to agree with all those statements, but it's kind of bargain basement criticism, and that video is riddled with it.

Hello, he's the Nostalgia Critic, and you just described all of his videos.

• Locked thread