Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think half-faired bikes are fundamentally hideous compared to their naked counterparts and have said so in the past. But taking the fairing off to make a bike look more 'authentic' is loving retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Not to mention that bikes that come with fairings generally look like complete dogshit with them removed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Speaking of which, I just discovered this past weekend that I can remove my fizzer's half-fairing and leave the headlights and mirrors still attached to the bike normally. I just need to get a pair of fork-mount front blinkers and I can make my bike fully naked and still have two good headlights, and not spend $600 on an FZ1N conversion kit.

:dance:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Speaking of which, I just discovered this past weekend that I can remove my fizzer's half-fairing and leave the headlights and mirrors still attached to the bike normally. I just need to get a pair of fork-mount front blinkers and I can make my bike fully naked and still have two good headlights, and not spend $600 on an FZ1N conversion kit.

You need to get some of those awful plastic eyelashes to mount over each headlight.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

HotCanadianChick posted:

Looks lovely FYI.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

Man if you put a little windscreen above those lights it might almost look like the Street Triple you appear to think this maybe resembles.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

n8r posted:

Looks lovely FYI.

Looks like a Triumph Triple. In other words, lovely.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Road repairs aren't quite as bad here in Merrie Olde England

diesel slicks

In Manchester I ride on the A5103 everyday to and from work, there are loooong stretches of cracks and massive holes which are conveniently between lanes. I've gotten used to it now, but filtering through dead traffic everyday is a fun challenge to hold your balance on a precariously thin bit of level road between vehicles and a 1 inch drop. Even when getting near home the road is strangely lumpy, so the front wheel will start to have a mind of it's own about where to go.

I'm not sure about retiring the bike if it gets snowy on that shite A-road. :ohdear:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

In Manchester I ride on the A5103 everyday to and from work, there are loooong stretches of cracks and massive holes which are conveniently between lanes. I've gotten used to it now, but filtering through dead traffic everyday is a fun challenge to hold your balance on a precariously thin bit of level road between vehicles and a 1 inch drop. Even when getting near home the road is strangely lumpy, so the front wheel will start to have a mind of it's own about where to go.

I'm not sure about retiring the bike if it gets snowy on that shite A-road. :ohdear:

Yeah but that's a non-repaired road, eventually that'll get resurfaced with something nice. Even our most temporary repairs aren't anything like as bad as chipseal (although Shellgrip, when it isn't maintained properly, can turn into something similar which can be a nasty nasty surprise if you're expecting maximum grip).

I mean on my commute home there's two bits of road that are literally 100% repairs, and they suck, but they're due for resurfacing next spring. Our transatlantic brethren have to cope with what's basically a gravel road, sometimes for miles at a time, and almost always on the kind of roads that are generally the most fun on a bike.

(Also they have a *lot* more concrete roads than we do and they really, really, really loving suck after a few years)

As for riding in snow - last time we had a big snowfall in London I was walking down the road thinking "Yeah I can ride in this - there's a nice big dry strip in the road and if I keep calm I can make it home" just as three cars slid into each other. It's not me I worry about, it's all the other dickheads who think that ABS means they can drive as fast on snow as they can on dry tarmac.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Holy loving poo poo. Riding to work today I was splitting between two lanes of traffic (not a motorway). I came up behind a guy on a pedal bike. His pace was decent and his bike could slip through the tiniest gaps so he wasn't particularly irritating. But then we both come up behind a guy on a KTM 390 who was splitting so slowly that half the time the guy on the push bike was dragging his feet.

Eventually the guy on the bicycle overtook KTM guy and then gestured wildly and shouted at him to either speed up or move the gently caress over. gently caress me. Sell your bike and burn your license.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Looks like a Triumph Triple. In other words, lovely.

Please dont let people mistake a good looking bike like the FZ for a trumpet triple

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please dont let people mistake a good looking bike like a triumph triple for an FZ

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Please everybody buy bimota

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Oy guvna we found a palette of spare forklift lights in the back of the warehouse. What you want we should do with em?"

"gently caress it mate, blag em on to the bikes we can't find headlights for"

And that's how the street triple was born.....

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Bikes that look like insects own. I want a Street Triple.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Chichevache posted:

Bikes that look like insects own. I want a Street Triple.

Well This, but a speed triple instead. It needs to be something as insane as the ZRX.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have slowly frittered away my bike savings away in personal loans. These people need to loving pay me.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ElMaligno posted:

Well This, but a speed triple instead. It needs to be something as insane as the ZRX.

Z1000.

Hell, the entire bike looks like a bug. The fairing looks like a space invader.

ZRX isn't insane, it's just goofy. Every day it reminds me of like a goofy dog. Happy to just laze and walk, but sometimes it just wants to awkwardly run faster than gently caress for no reason and against all the laws of physics and decency.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Beach Bum posted:

I have slowly frittered away my bike savings away in personal loans. These people need to loving pay me.

Mine went, in one fell swoop, towards getting a splenic mass removed from my dog. Turned out to be a nasty malignant tumor and he doesn't have long anyways.

:smith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

Don't loan money unless it's your job, and even then you should probably find a different job. Look at what they did to Shylock.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Z1000.

Hell, the entire bike looks like a bug. The fairing looks like a space invader.

ZRX isn't insane, it's just goofy. Every day it reminds me of like a goofy dog. Happy to just laze and walk, but sometimes it just wants to awkwardly run faster than gently caress for no reason and against all the laws of physics and decency.

Mine was just Hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor HODORHODORHODORHODOR *starts flailing wildly*. It was like a fat colonial woman hiking up her skirts and bounding down the street like Usain Bolt.

I miss that goddamn bike :smith:

Sagebrush posted:

Don't loan money unless it's your job, and even then you should probably find a different job. Look at what they did to Shylock.

A pound of flesh is some pretty brutal collateral bro.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

yeah all the duke enacted was basically proto-predatory lending regulation.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Mine was just Hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor HODORHODORHODORHODOR *starts flailing wildly*. It was like a fat colonial woman hiking up her skirts and bounding down the street like Usain Bolt.

I miss that goddamn bike :smith:

That's pretty perfect also.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"Oy guvna we found a palette of spare forklift lights in the back of the warehouse. What you want we should do with em?"

"gently caress it mate, blag em on to the bikes we can't find headlights for"

And that's how the street triple was born.....

Racist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fucks sake, three things tonight (Aftermath of a nasty crash, loving lunatic in a VW thinking he could race me, and a bloke in a suit falling over) seen on my way home tonight and my camera's battery was flat. How as I supposed to become a Youtube superstar when poo poo like this happens?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fucks sake, three things tonight (Aftermath of a nasty crash, loving lunatic in a VW thinking he could race me, and a bloke in a suit falling over) seen on my way home tonight and my camera's battery was flat. How as I supposed to become a Youtube superstar when poo poo like this happens?

Just like everyone else. Stage it :)

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I always keep a charged spare in my jacket pocket.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Mine went, in one fell swoop, towards getting a splenic mass removed from my dog. Turned out to be a nasty malignant tumor and he doesn't have long anyways.

:smith:

Ugh, that sucks man. My wife and I lost our dog to cancer a few months back, it really is a poo poo situation. Just enjoy the time you have with him.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gently caress cabbies.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Chris Knight posted:

gently caress cabbies.

One the way home today a taxi carved right across me into my lane to get in front, then did the "Thank you" flash of hazard lights; what the gently caress bro that wasn't an invitation :mad:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 379 days!
If you want to sell your bike, try giving more contact info than the number for a landline phone you never pick up or check the messages on, jesus christ

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

wesley snypes posted:

If you want to sell your bike, try giving more contact info than the number for a landline phone you never pick up or check the messages on, jesus christ

Why would you do that? The 'buyers' are just going to call/text you a poo poo ton and flake at the last minute. :argh:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

monsterzero posted:

Why would you do that? The 'buyers' are just going to call/text you a poo poo ton and flake at the last minute. :argh:

That's why I sell all my poo poo at my convenience, on CL at least. You're meeting me at a place a quarter mile away from my house, when it's convenient for me. If you miss an appointment, you're blocked.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nine years driving, over a dozen cars owned, countless thousand miles covered on four big fat tyres. Never had a puncture.

Four years riding, two tiny narrow tyres, 3 punctures.

And today, a fourth.

On a brand new PR4, the rear one this time.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGHHHHHH :suicide:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Stop riding through spike strips and surrender at once.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
You didn't happen to buy my brother's cursed EX500? His wheels must have been made of rare-earth magnets, it's the only way I can explain how many nails he picked up.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm going to be a shill for CycleGear for the moment, so feel free to skip over this:
If any of you live near one and run tubeless tires, I'd suggest getting motoguard. It's $20-25 bucks (depending on the tire's cost) or $30 for front and rear.
If you pick up a puncture (or the tire shits out on you or whatever) within the first 25% of tread life, you get 100% of your purchase price of the tire towards a replacement. If the tread's below 75%, it's pro-rated based on the depth of a new tire of the type you have based on your current depth. After you get the new tire, all you pay is any related state fees (in WA it's $1 for every motorcycle tire sold) and for motoguard on the new tire.
Regardless of CG's lovely house-brand gear, it's actually really good insurance for something that can cost a poo poo load of money.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I keep a plug kit and small tire pump under my seat. I feel like being prepared for a flat should decrease the odds of me getting one.
I didn't know about the cycle gear deal. Will have to look into that next time around.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Nine years driving, over a dozen cars owned, countless thousand miles covered on four big fat tyres. Never had a puncture.

Four years riding, two tiny narrow tyres, 3 punctures.

And today, a fourth.

On a brand new PR4, the rear one this time.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGHHHHHH :suicide:

Someone once told me bikes are more susceptible to punctures because a) they aren't riding in the wheel tracks of cars, which sweep the road clean and b) bike tyres tend to be softer so sharp objects have more chance of sticking in place and then get ground in. I know I've had more than a couple of screws so perfectly embedded I've needed a screwdriver to get them out.

Having said that (and I know I'm painting a bit fat KICK ME sign for the gods on my back) I've gone from a puncture almost every two months to none in two years since the local council cracked down on local building sites (and where I live there are *always* local building sites), forcing them to sweep the roads outside their entrances every hour when they're active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marv Hushman posted:

Stop riding through spike strips and surrender at once.

:v: as a matter of fact, instead of being a nail or what have you, it was a half-inch sliver of aluminium stuff. I'm hoping the actual hole is small enough to repair; I've successfully repaired a rear PR3 before.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Someone once told me bikes are more susceptible to punctures because a) they aren't riding in the wheel tracks of cars, which sweep the road clean and b) bike tyres tend to be softer so sharp objects have more chance of sticking in place and then get ground in. I know I've had more than a couple of screws so perfectly embedded I've needed a screwdriver to get them out.

Having said that (and I know I'm painting a bit fat KICK ME sign for the gods on my back) I've gone from a puncture almost every two months to none in two years since the local council cracked down on local building sites (and where I live there are *always* local building sites), forcing them to sweep the roads outside their entrances every hour when they're active.

Yeah I think it's the fact that we tend to ride in the unswept debris field. Interestingly, I know exactly where it happened because the hole is closer to the right edge than to the center of the tyre. On that stretch of my commute, there's only one right-hand corner.

That is a fantastic law by the way. The best part was, after I pumped up the tyre at a gas station and started limping it home: I went past a loving street sweeper truck.