Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone going to Trib Fest this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nope.

I will say that when the Tribune launched I was super skeptical about it but it's turned into a real deal respected and accurate outlet.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm going but I don't think I'm excited as last year. The "Latinos and GOP" panel is all hispanic Republicans. Which I suppose is fair, but a lot less funny.

edit: do you capitalize hispanic or not?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You do.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm going but I don't think I'm excited as last year. The "Latinos and GOP" panel is all hispanic Republicans. Which I suppose is fair, but a lot less funny.

edit: do you capitalize hispanic or not?

Si you do. Let us know how that turns out. Being Hispanic on both sides of my family and living down here in McAllen where I was born and raised, it always blows my mind that there are groups within minorities that do actually swing Republican. I usually find them to be very well off financially but that isn't always the case. It's starting to become more common when you are having the offspring of second and third gen Hispanic families adopt a more homogenized view and identify as more American than their family's heritage.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jiro posted:

Si you do. Let us know how that turns out. Being Hispanic on both sides of my family and living down here in McAllen where I was born and raised, it always blows my mind that there are groups within minorities that do actually swing Republican. I usually find them to be very well off financially but that isn't always the case. It's starting to become more common when you are having the offspring of second and third gen Hispanic families adopt a more homogenized view and identify as more American than their family's heritage.

I dunno, it shouldn't be that surprising. Latinos of all stripes tend to get lumped together, but there's definitely a racial component within those cultures that is frequently ignored. And everyone knows it, they just pretend like they don't or that it doesn't mean anything. But when you look at your average Latino Republican, and then at the people we're talking about when we speak about the growth of the Latino demographic as a whole, they're not the same sort of person with the same type of experience. I know we don't like to toss around words like mestizo and such, but they do describe actual divides in Central and South American cultures. Race doesn't stop meaning things to some people just because you cross an arbitrary line. The fact that we do tend to treat them as some giant monogroup is kinda poo poo, really.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Nope.

I will say that when the Tribune launched I was super skeptical about it but it's turned into a real deal respected and accurate outlet.

Its been great to watch them turn into a powerhouse.

The Tribune is really the best example in the county (and maybe the world) of a new kind of successful and meaningful journalism. They have the largest statehouse desk in the US and they've already shaped the face of Texas politics.

Every state needs a non-profit journalism group like the Tribune.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ReidRansom posted:

I dunno, it shouldn't be that surprising. Latinos of all stripes tend to get lumped together, but there's definitely a racial component within those cultures that is frequently ignored. And everyone knows it, they just pretend like they don't or that it doesn't mean anything. But when you look at your average Latino Republican, and then at the people we're talking about when we speak about the growth of the Latino demographic as a whole, they're not the same sort of person with the same type of experience. I know we don't like to toss around words like mestizo and such, but they do describe actual divides in Central and South American cultures. Race doesn't stop meaning things to some people just because you cross an arbitrary line. The fact that we do tend to treat them as some giant monogroup is kinda poo poo, really.

I remember I got really pissed at my Hispanic ex girlfriend from McAllen, because she kept referring to "White Mexicans" and how she didn't like them. I was seriously puzzled about it, but now that I am a bit older, I think I can see where she is coming from.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blackguy32 posted:

I remember I got really pissed at my Hispanic ex girlfriend from McAllen, because she kept referring to "White Mexicans" and how she didn't like them. I was seriously puzzled about it, but now that I am a bit older, I think I can see where she is coming from.

I'm in a class about Tejano history since the breakaway of Texas and Spanish-style racism is wayyyy crazier than the equivalent system in the British colonies at the time.

It's actually fairly similar to the system in the US today, to be honest (There are some established racial hierarchies but you can be "one of the good ones" if you have land/money, or vice versa if you don't).

e: Actually it's kind of interesting because white supremacists totally tried the "we'll make you honorary white people if you hold down the black people" tactic back in Reconstruction. It didn't work.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 17, 2014

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

I'm in a class about Tejano history since the breakaway of Texas and Spanish-style racism is wayyyy crazier than the equivalent system in the British colonies at the time.

It's actually fairly similar to the system in the US today, to be honest (There are some established racial hierarchies but you can be "one of the good ones" if you have land/money, or vice versa if you don't).

e: Actually it's kind of interesting because white supremacists totally tried the "we'll make you honorary white people if you hold down the black people" tactic back in Reconstruction. It didn't work.

Yea, racial categories in Spanish colonies that informed that view real like some kind of insane D&D chart for racists.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

computer parts posted:

David Montejano has a pretty good book with a marxist take on the forming of Texas. It is worth a read, and explains how Whites and Mexicans formed certain alliances to achieve wealth. But basically, it gets downright confusing as hell.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

e_angst posted:

Yea, racial categories in Spanish colonies that informed that view real like some kind of insane D&D chart for racists.

In my experience within Mexico, this is enforced at the door of night clubs by bouncers who charge varying degrees of money depending on what you look like. I remember me and some friends paying around $10 dollars to be let into a massive club, I think billed as the biggest in Latin America, and a black person behind us in line was charged somewhere like ~$20 to be let in.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blackguy32 posted:

David Montejano has a pretty good book with a marxist take on the forming of Texas. It is worth a read, and explains how Whites and Mexicans formed certain alliances to achieve wealth. But basically, it gets downright confusing as hell.

Huh, I thought he sounded familiar; I'm reading one of his books for that class later on (It's not that one though but Quixote's Soldiers). I'll check that out if I like how he writes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah that happens, even when I was in high school. A lot of it comes from those that were lighter were treated or tolerated better than those of us that are darker or Mestizo. When I was growing up I found to not really like them because they were from the interior of Mexico and pretty wealthy to move over into the States. So they would act more entitled be disgusted with public schools, flaunt their cash around. Some I knew grew out of it others didn't.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
National Guard reaches goal of border deployment without doing anything, $30 Million well spent

the article posted:

Perry's office has said his operation and possibly hotter weather caused the decline, but federal officials say it is more likely due to a reassignment of Border Patrol agents, a crackdown on human smuggling networks and an international publicity campaign warning immigrants not to come.

What's this? All we had to do was tell people not to cross the border and for the most part they listened? It's almost as if those refugees DIRTY IMMIGRANTS are rational human-beings and not a horde of wild beasts.

the article posted:

"The numbers don't matter to them because the goal was for Perry to resurrect his presidential ambitions," said state Rep. Armando Walle, D-Houston, calling for a hearing to re-evaluate the surge. "That was the only goal of this operation."

Great job, Rick! You got the attention you so desperately wanted!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

karlor posted:

National Guard reaches goal of border deployment without doing anything, $30 Million well spent

What's this? All we had to do was tell people not to cross the border and for the most part they listened? It's almost as if those refugees DIRTY IMMIGRANTS are rational human-beings and not a horde of wild beasts.

Great job, Rick! You got the attention you so desperately wanted!

Have they been paid yet?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Have they been paid yet?

This is what I'd like to know as well. All of our local news outlets had started up food drives and letting people know that they hadn't even been compensated for the work they had been ordered to do. Our local food banks opened their doors to help feed them till they were supposed to be paid. I hope Wendy Davis capitalizes on this to turn it against Perry and Abbot.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Jiro posted:

This is what I'd like to know as well. All of our local news outlets had started up food drives and letting people know that they hadn't even been compensated for the work they had been ordered to do. Our local food banks opened their doors to help feed them till they were supposed to be paid. I hope Wendy Davis capitalizes on this to turn it against Perry and Abbot.

Wow. I haven't been following things too closely since I've been moving, but :wtc: was Perry expecting the troops to forage like a Napoleonic army?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Imagine Perry inadvertently creating a 2014 Bonus Army? :allears:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think I've seen this posted, but the televised Davis-Abbott debate is tomorrow (Friday) night at 6pm CDT. Davis' site has a list of TV stations boradcasting it in various cities.
http://www.wendydavistexas.com/debate/

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think I've seen this posted, but the televised Davis-Abbott debate is tomorrow (Friday) night at 6pm CDT. Davis' site has a list of TV stations boradcasting it in various cities.

I was about to ask about where to view this, although I might forget to do so since I only expect soundbites.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I thought he had backed out of it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I thought he had backed out of it?

If I remember right, he agreed to this one afterwards. Or something. I don't know.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Anyone know if tickets for the debate are on sale or available? I'd be interested to attend in person and maybe live post during.

Edit: Figures after spending 30 minutes for ticket information I find it after sending the post.

themonitor.com/news/debate/

quote:

In addition, in partnership with the Advocacy Alliance Center of Texas (AACT), a nonpartisan voter registration group, the media sponsors will be holding a watch party in an auditorium adjacent to the actual closed studio debate. People interested in joining us for this watch party are encouraged to call AACT at 956-664-2231 for tickets. While tickets are free, they are required to gain entrance to the watch party

Jiro fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 19, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Huh, that's weird. Abbott really has nothing to gain from this, I wonder what changed his mind.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

1stGear posted:

Huh, that's weird. Abbott really has nothing to gain from this, I wonder what changed his mind.

Probably a threat from the media to give Davis the hour. That's usually what does it.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

Whew, nothing like the state of Texas to hold their governor's debate on a Friday night during high school football season.

1stGear posted:

He did back out of one of the potential debates. It seems it was mostly an issue with format. Also, if you're the front-runner, you try to keep the number of debates to a minimum.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have a thing tomorrow night. I'm sad I can't watch it live.

Oh well, I can catch it when I get in. I have a bottle of applejack that I bought specifically for watching politics. It makes the hurting less.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Oh well, I can catch it when I get in. I have a bottle of applejack that I bought specifically for watching politics. It makes the hurting less.

The only brand I've seen anywhere is Laird's, and if that's what you've got, you're better off spending a little bit more and getting a low-ish end calvados. Yeah, you could do worse for the same money than Laird's, but it's not even proper applejack; it's like 70% grain alcohol blended with apple brandy. $22-27 will get you a decent calvados that you'll probably enjoy far more. Unless you prefer your politics with cheap liquor and all that it brings along.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

karlor posted:

Wow. I haven't been following things too closely since I've been moving, but :wtc: was Perry expecting the troops to forage like a Napoleonic army?

I need to hear this! Are they actually not paying or feeding the Guardsmen?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ReidRansom posted:

The only brand I've seen anywhere is Laird's, and if that's what you've got, you're better off spending a little bit more and getting a low-ish end calvados. Yeah, you could do worse for the same money than Laird's, but it's not even proper applejack; it's like 70% grain alcohol blended with apple brandy. $22-27 will get you a decent calvados that you'll probably enjoy far more. Unless you prefer your politics with cheap liquor and all that it brings along.

It's their 7 1/2 year brandy, actually, which isn't blended. I still think of it as jack though.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ah, well in that case, enjoy!

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
let's go livestream :munch:
hope this is interesting, no sound yet

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Geez has Wendy had some face work done? She looks a bit stretched.

Edit: :stare: Holy poo poo Wendy Davis slammed Abbott on the company he keeps in relation to treatment of women. And Abbott just breezes right on by it.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 20, 2014

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!

karlor posted:

let's go livestream :munch:
hope this is interesting, no sound yet

The YouTube steam is a mess, try this link:
http://www.valleycentral.com/townhall/

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
already found a working stream, thank though

yeah, wendy seems a bit stiff

lol abbott "culture of life"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really wish they wouldn't call him "general". Holy poo poo he reaches so far to tie this into Obummer.

Edit: She looks super nervous. She's doing alright just on virtue of answering more questions that the moderators are asking.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 20, 2014

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Is Wendy Davis a robot? She's been way better about specifics than Abbot, but gently caress me her delivery is terrible.

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!

TGLT posted:

Is Wendy Davis a robot? She's been way better about specifics than Abbot, but gently caress me her delivery is terrible.

Hah I was thinking the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TGLT posted:

Women who show any emotion in public are weak hysterical creatures. So I imagine this is a slight over-correction.