Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

cryptoclastic posted:

You just got unlimited money! Congratulations!

He'll get plenty of use out of it in all those shops after Depths II :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pussy riot police posted:

Nah, he can still run out of health to spend. What he really needs is the bloody penny. Then he'd really be rolling in the dollar.

Seriously though, each half health translates into two pulls from the iv bag (you can use it again in the invincibility frames), so that's a decent amount of dough, and enough soul hearts that it's completely safe to use.

The other good synergy item is Scapular, I've literally filled rooms with coins using it :v:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

pussy riot police posted:

Nah, he can still run out of health to spend. What he really needs is the bloody penny. Then he'd really be rolling in the dollar.

Seriously though, each half health translates into two pulls from the iv bag (you can use it again in the invincibility frames), so that's a decent amount of dough, and enough soul hearts that it's completely safe to use.

You can glitch with the IV bag and those invincibility frames. Pop it in the door frame, when the coins hit the ground, leave the room and do the exact same thing. Back and forth back and forth.

When the coins hit the floor, get your rear end out the door!

GrossMurpel posted:

He'll get plenty of use out of it in all those shops after Depths II :v:

Good point, not sure why he even wanted all the money anyway. Maybe banking on Money=Power?

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 17, 2014

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

cryptoclastic posted:

You can glitch with the IV bag and those invincibility frames. Pop it in the door frame, when the coins hit the ground, leave the room and do the exact same thing. Back and forth back and forth.

When the coins floor, get your rear end out the door!

I do this every time now, it's fun to milk 99 cents out of half a red heart then rerolling IV bag. Feels so satisfying after all the times I got IV bag without knowing the glitch. It's also a great way to get a poo poo-ton of rerolls on the ground if you find the D20.

Edit: I had an interesting Cain run the other day with Nun's Habit and bottle of pills. THe pill rotation was like health up, full health, and balls of steel. It was actually beneficial to get hit by enemies whenever possible, and by the end of the run I had probably 40 red heart containers alone.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 17, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

cryptoclastic posted:

Good point, not sure why he even wanted all the money anyway. Maybe banking on Money=Power?
For Necropolis 2, which comes after Depths 2 when you have forget me now. Generally if I get forget me now I end up carrying it to the depths just incase I get an XL floor along the way. You can clear an XL floor, pop forget me now, and start on depths 1 for example. 2 entire free floors you wouldn't get otherwise, a pretty great deal for non-Isaac runs.

Mental Midget posted:

I do this every time now, it's fun to milk 99 cents out of half a red heart then rerolling IV bag. Feels so satisfying after all the times I got IV bag without knowing the glitch. It's also a great way to get a poo poo-ton of rerolls on the ground if you find the D20.

Edit: I had an interesting Cain run the other day with Nun's Habit and bottle of pills. THe pill rotation was like health up, full health, and balls of steel. It was actually beneficial to get hit by enemies whenever possible, and by the end of the run I had probably 40 red heart containers alone.
I had a Isaac run like that yesterday. I re-rolled the IV bag into bottle of pills, and I already knew there was full health, bad trip, balls of steel, and luck down in the rotation so I figured I'd farm for a little using the curse room.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ed did mention Rebirth would be changed so you wouldn't have to spend all day at the arcade, right? I mean yes it is YOUR choice to gamble there forever, but...!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volt Catfish posted:

I mean yes it is YOUR choice to gamble there forever, but...!

The secret true ending to Binding of Isaac

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Volt Catfish posted:

Ed did mention Rebirth would be changed so you wouldn't have to spend all day at the arcade, right? I mean yes it is YOUR choice to gamble there forever, but...!

Most roguelikes have a mechanic where if you spend too long in any given level, the game just spawns something to come in and ruin your whole day. In Shiren it was a wind blowing you out of the level, in Spelunky it was an insta-death ghost haunting you.

Spending too much time on a floor in Rebirth unleashing some unkillable monster to hunt you down would be interesting.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It could easily be fixed by having like Rollx5 or x10 options. Most of the time is just going back and forth trying to use the machine with a 5 second animation time over and over 99 times.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
It may have been discussed before, but this post makes me even more excited for rebirth, which I didn't think was possible.

EdmundM posted:

and right now each chapter seems to have close to 600+ rooms to pull from

:allears:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

The Kins posted:

Soundtrack is up for pre-order for $3, six tracks available now with the rest coming November 4.

Holy poo poo, it's amazing. I wish all the songs were unlocked already. Just listen to it. Everlasting Hymn is beautiful.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jesto posted:

Most roguelikes have a mechanic where if you spend too long in any given level, the game just spawns something to come in and ruin your whole day. In Shiren it was a wind blowing you out of the level, in Spelunky it was an insta-death ghost haunting you.

Spending too much time on a floor in Rebirth unleashing some unkillable monster to hunt you down would be interesting.

No, it would be horrible. An important part of Isaac is taking your time to think through what you're gonna do next or in what order you want to spend money or whatever. Time limits wouldn't work with that at all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do honestly wish that the D6 could only reroll an item pedestal once, then the pedestal changes color of something to indicate it can't be anymore. More of a weighty choice that way.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

AndroidHub posted:

It may have been discussed before, but this post makes me even more excited for rebirth, which I didn't think was possible.

:allears:

So if each chapter has 600 to pull from, and assuming there's 8 chapters total that puts the amount of rooms into the perspective of 4800.

Yow.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

lordfrikk posted:

Holy poo poo, it's amazing. I wish all the songs were unlocked already. Just listen to it. Everlasting Hymn is beautiful.
Okay that is a downright amazing theme for the Cathedral.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Carbon dioxide posted:

No, it would be horrible. An important part of Isaac is taking your time to think through what you're gonna do next or in what order you want to spend money or whatever. Time limits wouldn't work with that at all.

You might want to brace for disappointment then because iirc edmund hinted about having a mechanic similar to the spelunky ghost, and I know I remember him saying spelunky was one of his current favorite games.

I hope thats not the only method for doing arcades/vendings faster though, cause that would suck. The simplest way to do it would be to add a 5 or 10 ¢ at a time option I would think, that wouldnt be too hard to implement in some way.

I AM BRAWW posted:

How many runs on average do you guys successfully get past Mom? I think I'm extremely lovely at this game.

Its just like csgo man, just click on (greed) heads.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Like everything else, Edmund was really vague on what the "ghost" mechanic would be like. I think he said it wouldn't be a literal ghost-type enemy haunting you, because he does want to encourage people to try to break the game. I imagine we can expect something like extra champion spawns, decreased devil deal chances, larger floors, additional chances of curses on the next floor, that sort of thing.

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011
I'm really glad I gave this game another shot. When I first played I liked it a lot, but was horrible and never got passed a few levels before turning it off. Then I stumbled on some people playing on youtube (platiunum god, d6 rerolling, all the good poo poo) and picked up on the strategies for getting items and secrets etc. Totally hooked now, and actually making good progress. I have mom kills with Isaac, Cain, and Judas so far.

Anyway, I keep thinking I want to use a controller - but my wired 360 controller + joytokey just doesn't feel tight enough for some of the precision you need in the game. It's most likely due to the d-pad being.. well the 360 dpad, and my analog sticks needing a fair amount of dead zone these days. Are you guys just using the keyboard, keyboard + mouse, or controller? I've been considering trying to hook up my ps3 controller, since those controllers are in very good condition and feel good.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I like to use wasd + arrow keys, but I'll switch to wasd+mouse for when I get epic fetus :)

I just feel like I'm more in control with arrow keys controlling how I shoot rather than the mouse. Haven't tried using a controller yet but I probably should...

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

krylon666 posted:

I'm really glad I gave this game another shot. When I first played I liked it a lot, but was horrible and never got passed a few levels before turning it off. Then I stumbled on some people playing on youtube (platiunum god, d6 rerolling, all the good poo poo) and picked up on the strategies for getting items and secrets etc. Totally hooked now, and actually making good progress. I have mom kills with Isaac, Cain, and Judas so far.

Anyway, I keep thinking I want to use a controller - but my wired 360 controller + joytokey just doesn't feel tight enough for some of the precision you need in the game. It's most likely due to the d-pad being.. well the 360 dpad, and my analog sticks needing a fair amount of dead zone these days. Are you guys just using the keyboard, keyboard + mouse, or controller? I've been considering trying to hook up my ps3 controller, since those controllers are in very good condition and feel good.

Dualshock 4 dpad + symbol buttons work great great great. Way better with this now than I was with keyboard (120+ hours on kb).

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011

whalestory posted:

I like to use wasd + arrow keys, but I'll switch to wasd+mouse for when I get epic fetus :)

I just feel like I'm more in control with arrow keys controlling how I shoot rather than the mouse. Haven't tried using a controller yet but I probably should...

Yeah, I definitely prefer straight up KB rather than mouse. But I think a good controller could make a huge difference for me.

Vic Boss posted:

Dualshock 4 dpad + symbol buttons work great great great. Way better with this now than I was with keyboard (120+ hours on kb).

Nice. I don't know if the Dualshock 4 connects to the PC differently than the DS3, but I was looking into using this: http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/

Are you using something like that to connect the controller?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am most excited about this coming to vita simply because of the twin sticks/screen placement. i wish there were more twin stick games because that handheld is made for it

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Logan 5 posted:

You might want to brace for disappointment then because iirc edmund hinted about having a mechanic similar to the spelunky ghost, and I know I remember him saying spelunky was one of his current favorite games.

I hope thats not the only method for doing arcades/vendings faster though, cause that would suck. The simplest way to do it would be to add a 5 or 10 ¢ at a time option I would think, that wouldnt be too hard to implement in some way.

I think the best solution I've heard proposed to cut down on arcade farming was to make the gambling machines blow themselves up sooner. The skull game could have more grand prizes than Skatole and more chances to go away. The blood donor could blow up faster as well. And we've seen that the arcade will no longer always be those three machines.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

krylon666 posted:

Nice. I don't know if the Dualshock 4 connects to the PC differently than the DS3, but I was looking into using this: http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/

Are you using something like that to connect the controller?

http://dsdcs.com/portfolio/software-development/4-ds4windows

Install, plug DS4 in with micro USB (not mini USB like DS3), create a profile for whatever game and map the keys.

D-pad probably works better for Isaac (on any controller) because with an analogue stick, not only does Isaac not have key sensitivity, but if you map the analogue to take over WASD, for example, it can only give you the 4 base directions + their in-betweens. And it jumps between them. Not tight controls at all with a stick.

E: Also you can apparently use bluetooth, but you'll need a BT adapter for that (not a Logitech Unifying Adapter).

Vic Boss fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 17, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Picked up Mom's Contacts, Common Cold, and Spider Bite on the first floor. :woop:
Only one of the effects can be active at a time. :negative:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sanctum posted:

Picked up Mom's Contacts, Common Cold, and Spider Bite on the first floor. :woop:
Only one of the effects can be active at a time. :negative:

Do the chances of getting an effect stack, at least?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Pixeltendo posted:

So if each chapter has 600 to pull from, and assuming there's 8 chapters total that puts the amount of rooms into the perspective of 4800.

Yow.
I have to imagine that the bulk of those are going to be palette swaps, but I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong about that.

krylon666 posted:

Are you guys just using the keyboard, keyboard + mouse, or controller? I've been considering trying to hook up my ps3 controller, since those controllers are in very good condition and feel good.
Straight-up keyboard only unless I luck into Epic Fetus, then I also use the mouse.

I may end up using a controller with Rebirth, though, considering it's actually being designed with controller support in mind this time.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Is there a way to go back to the old credits music? "Jesus loves me" starts to grate after a while, and the credits seem to be randomly unskippable for me.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
Hour 400+ into this game and just realized that having the portable blood machine (and the willingness to glitch it through a doorway) along with the bloody penny gives you infinite life between rooms :love:

I've noticed the same flat penny and burnt penny interactions with portable blood bag, but never thought about the bloody penny. Won't be keeping the paw if it shows up...I need those heart containers to face-tank the chest with eve.

Edit: on second thought, would still take paw if it showed up for whore+photo goodness. But if it doesn't, I'll be fine with infinite hearts.

Happy Big Fun fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 19, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Hard mode revealed, kind of. Not much detail about what goes into it, other than bosses not dropping any hearts on death.

Also: Completion checklist. Thank God.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

krylon666 posted:

I used my Dualshock 3 with DS3Tool for all my BoI playing and it always felt really good.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I used my Dualshock 3 with DS3Tool for all my BoI playing and it always felt really good.

Same. It's more about what you first start playing it with. MOST people play with keyboard and mouse, but there are even a few racers who use controllers.

The only thing I would say I don't like on the controller is Brimsnapping, but that won't be a problem for much longer.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

IMJack posted:

Hard mode revealed, kind of. Not much detail about what goes into it, other than bosses not dropping any hearts on death.

Also: Completion checklist. Thank God.

Is that the FEZ protagonist behind Cain? Or did Judas suddenly become boxy?

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

apophenium posted:

That's what Judas looks like when he's locked.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMR0Aldn6WU

What did I just watch?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

apophenium posted:

In case you didn't know, Judas having a fez is a joking jab at Phil Fish for not voting for Ed at some crap.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Reminded me of this

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Add as an actual game mode in Rebirth, replacing all items, enemies, rocks and bombs with Issac.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Or an item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
And all the walls and doors with flesh amalgams of Isaac parts

• Locked thread