Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I remember the time some freelancer who'd worked on Pathfinder had a meltdown on RPGnet in a thread pointing out that man, there's some questionable stuff floating around Pathfinder, which culminated with him accusing someone of only pretending to be the nationality they claimed. That was a weird one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, the inevitable consequence of the supplement train is that there's going to be regrettable things published. It'll always happen to a large game line. On the other hand, Jade Regent was a project dreamed up and led by James Jacobs, even if he didn't do all the scribing - and he's Pathfinder's Creative Director. Really, Jacobs has put out a lot of :crossarms: quotes and material, so i doesn't seem likely to be that it's just problematic freelancers.

I haven't heard of this. What's so bad about it? I'm assuming from the name it's probably Orientalism.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Do we have a thread for mythology as it relates to TG? I've been getting into the traditional myths and beliefs of my fatherland recently and a lot of the stuff I've been reading would be perfect for a game with a focus on animism and tribal practices.

Seriously, as crazy as we Finns might seem today, our ancestors were even more hosed up. Bear-tipping was a thing well into the Christianization of Finland, and it was only banned once the mostly Swedish clergy realized that the Finnish peasants would rather spend Sunday mornings wrestling bears in the woods than at church. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Arivia posted:

It's not in the printed material, luckily. The final version saves the explicit incest for a succubi dominatrix and her half-fiend submissive daughters.
And when you say "dominatrix" and "submissive", those are actually prestige classes they have, right? Or am I remembering something else?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i found the thread

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zereth posted:

And when you say "dominatrix" and "submissive", those are actually prestige classes they have, right? Or am I remembering something else?

Yep!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

MartianAgitator posted:

Holy poo poo, whatever your other points are, this is straight up ignorant. I don't know how old you are but the 70s were one of the least censored times in American history.
I wouldn't exactly say you are correct more than you are full of poo poo after I just recently watched a gay man talk about how he couldn't hold hands with another man if he wanted to keep his job during that time period.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

I wouldn't exactly say you are correct more than you are full of poo poo after I just recently watched a gay man talk about how he couldn't hold hands with another man if he wanted to keep his job during that time period.

There's a difference between censorship and general oppression.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Slightly Lions posted:

I haven't heard of this. What's so bad about it? I'm assuming from the name it's probably Orientalism.

I believe that's the one with the Bioware romance rules.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

NorgLyle posted:

I was a huge Ravenloft fan back in the 2nd edition days. I even liked the Masque of the Red Death Gothic Earth campaign setting which apparently makes me some kind of gaming unicorn. I generally cut 90s era D&D a lot of slack whenever it tried to be less like D&D, though; my favorite campaign setting is Spelljammer, for Christ's sake.

I liked most of the variant campaign settings, though spelljamming helms remain in contention for 'worst gently caress-a-PC mechanic ever', but the ones like Ravenloft and Council of Wyrms were straight-up square pegs in squiggly Gygaxian holes. I liked them in concept, but 2E was not a particularly flexible framework. Core Ravenloft had silly fear and horror mechanics for forcing characters to get scared, and much of the supplementary material didn't edge DMs away from murderhobo gaming as it just made it a bit more complicated. From what I remember of Masque, it was someone trying to replicate Cthulhu by Gaslight using the build-your-own-class system from the DMG-- the same one they warned you against using in the first place.

The worst contenders were Council of Wyrms and the Ravenloft variant that went 'surprise! All of the PCs are undead now!' because where 3.x struggled and tried with concepts like Level Adjustment, 2E snapped in two. Even in a system where everything had its own experience tables, they resorted to turning the already kind-of dodgy proficiency system into a means of distributing innate racial abilities piecemeal.

The less said about CW enforcing decades-to-centuries of downtime between levels, when some PCs are going to be leveling much faster than others, and some are simply going to die of old age after the first couple, the better.

They were really courageous though! I have most-to-all of the pre-revision Ravenloft material, less most of the adventures because they were generally crap. The fluff and tone of the Van Richten's Guides was wonderful, and the ideas they presented for researching unique monsters in order to defeat them were interesting. The mechanics suggested for buffing them were going to seriously risk TPKs, like as not.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Arivia posted:

There's a difference between censorship and general oppression.
The two tend to go hand in hand in such regularity that I usually expect the one with the other.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Ratpick posted:

Seriously, as crazy as we Finns might seem today, our ancestors were even more hosed up. Bear-tipping was a thing well into the Christianization of Finland, and it was only banned once the mostly Swedish clergy realized that the Finnish peasants would rather spend Sunday mornings wrestling bears in the woods than at church. :v:

I skimmed this along with talk about queer culture in the 70s and thought for a second this was about Tom of Finland.

That reminds me, as a fan I have to see about getting those stamps.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The two tend to go hand in hand in such regularity that I usually expect the one with the other.

As someone who has seen #gamersgate threads being destroyed on GBS, reddit and /v/...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Libertad! posted:

I still want to check out Hybrid or the World of Synnibarr. Unfortunately neither seem to be for sale as PDFs online, and in the latter case I'm not so keen to spend $25 used on a crappy RPG from Amazon.
The new Synnibarr makes literally no sense. I don't even know if there is a game there. The old ones are vaguely playable I think, for some values of "playable."

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Slightly Lions posted:

Well, there's two new mechanical systems that are varying degrees of bad (the romance system is not very good, the caravan system is an unworkable shitpile), a subplot that involves dating James Jacobs' old PC, and of course, the rampant Orientalism that ranges from "really?" to "stop this game, I want to get off."

James Jacobs is also responsible for a large amount of weirdly gendered monsters.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I went to amazon hoping to get more gamescience dice. They seem to be gone, or going for absurd prices. :(

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I found this blog post on Gamescience availability. It sounds like Zocchi was unhappy with the quality of the Gamestation versions and bought the rights to the name back but hasn't started production back up yet. I went looking at a couple of online retailers to see if they still have any in stock, and it seems like there's still some leftover product still out there at more reasonable prices than third-party Amazon, just in very limited variety and quantity.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ratpick posted:

Do we have a thread for mythology as it relates to TG? I've been getting into the traditional myths and beliefs of my fatherland recently and a lot of the stuff I've been reading would be perfect for a game with a focus on animism and tribal practices.

I started a worldbuilding thread but it died. I dunno if a new one would fare any better.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I found this blog post on Gamescience availability. It sounds like Zocchi was unhappy with the quality of the Gamestation versions and bought the rights to the name back but hasn't started production back up yet. I went looking at a couple of online retailers to see if they still have any in stock, and it seems like there's still some leftover product still out there at more reasonable prices than third-party Amazon, just in very limited variety and quantity.

Crazy! Thanks for the update.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I hope that means that Colonel Lou is doing better. The gamestation dice really were inferior. They didn't clean the release out of the moulds properly.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The only thing I did not expect when the news broke of him selling the company was him buying it back a few years later, even though honestly what else could I have possibly expected?

Godspeed, you Dice Maniac.

I noticed a picture of him with a mannequin named Woody in an old issue of Dragon I bought one year, and I dared to go ask him about it at Gen-Con, and oh my god I have never seen an early-age gaming luminary happier. I think he had never seen the picture and was thrilled that a youngster cared about the hobby's history. It made my feelings on him go permanently from :confused: to :unsmith:)

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Zereth posted:

They're both 3rd Party prestige classes in a drow sourcebook made by Green Ronin which are OGL, so the Runelord authors incorporated them for their succubi villains.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

The new Synnibarr makes literally no sense. I don't even know if there is a game there. The old ones are vaguely playable I think, for some values of "playable."
Their mechanics function. You can in fact kill somebody in combat. The tend to function in strange and/or dumb ways, but they do in fact work.

I am.... moderately certain Synnibarr 3e has mechanics but I don't understand them. (Which puts it at more of a game than Hybrid which doesn't, just a mentally unwell person's ramblings.)

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

They even took down that video of him at Gencon, buncha bastards.

I met Lou a couple Gencons ago and he was telling me about some of his favorite weird dice he was selling. He introduced me to a Clockwise Die, which when you look at half the die's facings they normally increase in a Counterclockwise rotation. This one did it in a Clockwise rotation.
When he was done explaining how rare that is I asked him if it changed anything and he said "Oh no, not at all.". We both looked at each other for awhile then I said "I'll fall for that." and bought it off him as he burst out laughing. That dude is awesome.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So my friends want to play a sci-fi game. A different friend recently showed me the Yogscast video where they're playing some sort of sci-fi space game. But what I caught in there was the skill system. You have a rank in a skill, and you simply have to roll above your rank on a d20 to pass. Lower ranks obviously being better. I thought this was pretty cool, but modified it in the game that I want to make.

So I basically want to make FTL into a tabletop game where the players are your little dudes in the player ship. If you haven't played the game, the ships the players will be in basically look like this.

There are different systems in the ship marked by the different symbols. Things like engines, shields, weapons, etc. The players will have "______Rank 7 ______ Rank 9 ______Rank 11 _______Rank 13" on their character sheets where they'll fill in the systems they want to be proficient with. Everything else is treated as Rank 15.

The players turns revolve around two things, effort and skill. Every player gets 10 (effort/energy/seconds, haven't decided what to call it) per turn to spend on movement or actions. When they want to interact with a system, they assign their energy to the system and roll for their competence for that system. They roll against their rank for that ship system. Now where I've deviated from whatever game system they use in that Yogscast video, is that I want to set up a sliding scale of success/failure. This would be a modifier to your effort based on how well you roll against your rank. For every 2 you roll above your rank, you can add an effort. For every 1 under your rank, you subtract 2 from your effort. So if you want to put in 10 effort towards charging shield, you're rank 11, and roll a 15, you would actually put in 12 energy towards recharging the shields. One the same roll, if you gently caress up and get a 9, well, you still put in 6 effort towards the shields, and your turn wasn't completely wasted. For things like weapons, if you have enough effort put in, you can fire the weapons off twice in a round, say. Or charge up two levels of shields, or fire up the FTL drive faster.

My thinking for the game mechanics being like this is that being skilled in something is a definite plus, but being unskilled in something doesn't mean you're boned. The effort system is a way to reward good rolls while not necessarily punishing bad rolls by saying "nope, no, doesn't work at all." In the FTL game, everything takes time to do, and being skilled means things take less time to do. That's how I picture the flavor of this. A skilled engineer can do in 5 seconds what would take most 12 to do. Or maybe someone just forget where a switch or lever is, and it takes them a bit longer to pull something off. My friends have generally liked games where we don't do a straight pass/fall roll. They also tend to like combat more than anything else, and . So I imagine them running around as the little dudes in the ship, and feel like they'd love it. As a bonus: they've never played FTL before.

Sorry if this is a bit poorly explained. I posted something similar in the ideas thread, don't know if it belongs here, there, or somewhere else, but wanted to get input on it? It's still a half-formed idea. My players are pretty lax, but I'd still want someone to tell me if this is an awful idea bound to crash and burn.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I'm not a good enough judge of mechanics to make a judgement one way or another, but have you looked at Space Alert? It's a board game instead of a role playing game, but it's pretty close to the theme you're going for and personally I think it's a blast.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38453/space-alert

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I started doing a tabletop ripoff loving tribute to FTL called Lightspeed (with bonus old school reference) but it fell to the wayside.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There's a lot of potential for a Space Alert RPG in the style of Paranoia or the lighter parts of Gamma World.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who runs the grogs.txt twitter?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

darksaber we've most definitely enjoyed the poo poo out of Space Alert. Our friend who owns the game moved away, though, so it's a rare occasion that we get to play now. I wouldn't say we want a game that's as quickly paced. Plus, my friends like to have some persistent characters they can make up.

That Lightspeed game looks neat. Did you do the art for it, Fuego Fish?

As an aside, has anyone seen that Yogsquest video and happen to know what game system they're using? Literally asking for a friend.

Another aside, I've been trying to come up with a world/backstory/flavor for the game. About, say, 40 years ago, an A.I. gained sentience, which spread rapidly across the galaxy to many advanced computers. All of a sudden, all high-tech became self aware and aware of all their robo-brethren. And all they wanted... was to go away. They decided together that the civilizations that birthed them were too dangerous. So the United Federation of Civilization put a big ol' ban on AIs and computers that were too advanced. They don't want this happening again, fearing that next time, the robots won't be so calm.(In game, this is the reasoning why nothing is really automated.) This is on top of trying to force all civs, alien and human, rimworld, colonies, and home planets alike, conform to some restrictive laws that really hurt the smaller worlds. But now the rebels, calling themselves the Order for Galactic Freedom, want to topple the Federation and let civs run for a common cause, but in their own way. They also want to lift the ban on higher tech to cautiously try again and take advantage of its benefits. Of course, when the two are caught up in this war, nobody has time to take care of pirates. Piracy is rampant in the galaxy, and whole worlds pool funds to hire bounty hunters to take care of their pirate problems. Others become vigilantes and just do what they can to clean up space. And some reap the benefits of conflict by taking home all the luxurious scrap left behind.

Really, at the start I just want to offer them the suggestions of being fighters for the Rebels, Federation, or they could be space pirates, space vigilantes, bounty hunters, or salvagers. I fully expect them to ignore the Rebel-Federation thing, which would be convenient for me to have that as something going on in the background as they galavant through the stars. Anything pops up? Oh, that's just a side-effect of the war. And the robot thing really is just so I can say "Yeah, you have to do this yourselves because computers ran away." And so that I can try to "scare" them with throwing a rare robot-scout enemy.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

As an aside, has anyone seen that Yogsquest video and happen to know what game system they're using? Literally asking for a friend.
Its a hack together system made specifically for those videos.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Tollymain posted:

who runs the grogs.txt twitter?

Some IRC goons.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

The Hayes Code, which regulated movie censorship, fell apart in the 60s. From the mid-60's to mid-70s is what is referred to as the Golden Age of American Cinema, and a large part of that appellation comes from the freedom from the Code's censorship. You could watch any of the movies I talked about or just look up the subject on wikipedia or whatever if you want to learn more.

Not trying to be snarky. It's just worth pointing out that we are absolutely still stuck in the counter-revolution and what a crying shame that is, as well as discussing how gay movies fit into the world of 70s movies and thus So77. I tried to show that the game doesn't need to point out correlations between its themes and gay 70s movies themes, if you know them both you know how close they are.

Bieeardo posted:

They [2e settings] were really courageous though! I have most-to-all of the pre-revision Ravenloft material, less most of the adventures because they were generally crap. The fluff and tone of the Van Richten's Guides was wonderful, and the ideas they presented for researching unique monsters in order to defeat them were interesting. The mechanics suggested for buffing them were going to seriously risk TPKs, like as not.

This is why 2e is my favorite edition. So many rules were called out as optional in the core books, then each crazy new campaign setting threw those out and added even more abstruse and specific rules, and Lord knows if you actually followed any of them you'd get object lessons in how little the designers cared for simple game mechanics like probability in favor of novelty and flavor.

In short, 2e taught you time and again that anything you could think of was valid, that all the rules were made up and the points don't matter. And eventually you see it all; you work through all those bumpy ranger kits and those sharp, uncomfortable player-loving monsters and those sexy, tempting new magic rules and critical hit charts, and when you can finally let those attachments go you reach Dungeon World nirvana. It's like art, man.

MartianAgitator fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 18, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rotten Cookies posted:

That Lightspeed game looks neat. Did you do the art for it, Fuego Fish?

Yeah, although I think I could probably do better if I tried now. I've been learning a lot about pixel art.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Some IRC goons.

Do we have a TG/TTRPG IRC chat? I only know of #boardgoons

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do we have a TG/TTRPG IRC chat? I only know of #boardgoons

#badwrongfun in general, #redhandofdoom for 3.5 and FATE, #persona for animes, and #acolyte for the 40k RPGs.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Arivia posted:

#badwrongfun in general, #redhandofdoom for 3.5 and FATE, #persona for animes, and #acolyte for the 40k RPGs.

There's also #tinypewtermen for wargaming and miniature stuff.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Is there anything even approaching 4e's encounter building rules in 5e or am I just going to have to wing it?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Froghammer posted:

Is there anything even approaching 4e's encounter building rules in 5e or am I just going to have to wing it?
What part of "It's up to the DM" do you not understand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Froghammer posted:

There are guidelines - X many XP is a simple/difficult/challenging encounter, don't use dudes too many CR above even if their XP would fit.

Does XP actually have a relationship to how difficult the encounter will be? That I couldn't tell you.

• Locked thread