Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
According to Devin's twitter he remastered the album after sending the album to be press review copies, but the final release will be the remaster, so we needn't worry.

However, if you're someone who listens to album leaks, there's a good chance you'd get the worse version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

slogsdon posted:

According to Devin's twitter he remastered the album after sending the album to be press review copies, but the final release will be the remaster, so we needn't worry.

However, if you're someone who listens to album leaks, there's a good chance you'd get the worse version.

Wow. That was fast. It seems like I just sent him a few files of my wife and I's beautiful singing.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Also, the Digipak version of the album of Dark Matters "without dialogue and a different assembly", which sounds neat.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Metalsucks just announced Z2 is coming out October 28th, more info about the album and other projects at the link. The turnaround on the album seems ridiculously quick, has this sort of thing happened before?

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/09/02/devin-townsends-ziltoid-2-release-details-revealed/

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Immanentized posted:

Metalsucks just announced Z2 is coming out October 28th, more info about the album and other projects at the link. The turnaround on the album seems ridiculously quick, has this sort of thing happened before?

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/09/02/devin-townsends-ziltoid-2-release-details-revealed/

I remember him putting out a teaser video before Casualties with some demoes that included stuff for Z2 so I'm sure he's had at least some material floating around for a while now.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Not clear if this is the album art or not but HYPE HYPE HYPE

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Also for any Anneke fans, she is doing an album with Arjen Lucassen of Ayreon fame called The Gentle Storm.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So, I had the pleasure to see Casualties of Cool performed here in London last night. It was at Union Chapel, a church and a beautiful venue. The entire audience was enthralled, no one was filming with their phones or any poo poo like that - all eyes on Dev and the other musicians on stage. Moon was amazing live, as was The Bridge.

Things went crazy with Deathscope and the choatic side was let loose.

Great show. I briefly met Dev as he was saying hi to people and said I would see him at The Royal Albert hall for Z2. He grimaced a bit - I think I broke his buzz.

henpod fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 5, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm a really big fan of the very limited Devin material I've heard. I really like that Love? Song from SYL, especially the live youtube footage ive seen.

I've also seen some footage of him doing a song "Kingdom". I guess I like the melodic vocals mixed with heavy screams. With these tastes in mind, can anyone recommend some albums to start with ?

I wonder what would happen if Devin and Mike PAtton collaborated on something. Their music isn't really similar but their attitudes towards making music seem to be.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Considering you're mentioning two songs that are heavy but also have a great melodic hook to come back to, my first suggestion would be to start with something like Addicted from the DTP, which is wall to wall that.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

jonathan posted:

I'm a really big fan of the very limited Devin material I've heard. I really like that Love? Song from SYL, especially the live youtube footage ive seen.

I've also seen some footage of him doing a song "Kingdom". I guess I like the melodic vocals mixed with heavy screams. With these tastes in mind, can anyone recommend some albums to start with ?

I wonder what would happen if Devin and Mike PAtton collaborated on something. Their music isn't really similar but their attitudes towards making music seem to be.

Yeah, definitely investigate the albums "Addicted!" and "Epicloud", both of which come under the Devin Townsend Project name. I'm sure you'll love them!

Agar Agar
Jun 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zcIHgJMRY4
Bones - Live

I would love to be able to see something like this just once before I die.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

That is so beautiful. I find it extremely frustrating that they won't get the attention they deserve. Part of me thinks that's OK as it keeps it really special (not meaning to be hipster-like...), but it's such a talented production that deserves some accolades.

And for a good Devin sample, I've usually had people start with Terra, Accelerated Evolution, or Ziltoid, given Dev's nature is explained a little. ZTO just hits so many of the things I love about his style in the whole album whereas others sometimes just have a mix of songs here or there that does it for me. It's goofy/campy and introspective, heavy and light, melodic and chaotic and the final track cracks me up thinking it's a geeky kids daydream while stuck in a mundane job. Hope Z2 is comparable and way excited for it.

I've mentioned it before, but his work often starts in high energy or somewhat silly, then turns really emotional in frustration, anger or depression, but then circles around to be somewhat resolving and upbeat again to end on a positive and optimistic side.

For SYL, if you liked Love try Aftermath, Almost Again, or Wrong Side. Honestly, I have a hard time with most of SYL but fully appreciate what it is and where it came from. I do absolutely love Alien, though, and with a bit of BP issues myself it means a lot to me, which is maybe why I find more meaning in some of this than I should...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Seconding Addicted. That's my go-to recommendation for someone that may not have been exposed to a lot of progressive rock, metal or experimental stuff in general.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Accelerated Evolution is also good in that vein, and is my favorite Devin thing, next to City and parts of Alien.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The end of Storm on that album, his vocals, really shows off his amazing blend of screaming/clean vibrato. Quintessential Devin right there.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Jesus, the big Z2 show at Royal Albert Hall sold out super quick. Many to snag a couple of tickets in lovely seats a million miles away, but at least I get to go. :getin:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

d3rt posted:

Seconding Addicted. That's my go-to recommendation for someone that may not have been exposed to a lot of progressive rock, metal or experimental stuff in general.

Don't get me wrong I'm into a ton of metal. I love doom/stoner/sludge, and post metal stuff like Isis. But some of the Devin stuff almost seems like Mr. Bungle. It's really good and fun, but only after hearing it a few times. Atleast thats the impression I get.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm into a ton of metal. I love doom/stoner/sludge, and post metal stuff like Isis. But some of the Devin stuff almost seems like Mr. Bungle. It's really good and fun, but only after hearing it a few times. Atleast thats the impression I get.

I'd disagree with that. Devin stuff at least feels like it's got some vague point to it. Mr. Bungle and other stuff sometimes just chaotically wanders all over the place without any real form or structure. Devin usually has some sort of "theme" in his songs that brings it all together.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'd disagree with that. Devin stuff at least feels like it's got some vague point to it. Mr. Bungle and other stuff sometimes just chaotically wanders all over the place without any real form or structure. Devin usually has some sort of "theme" in his songs that brings it all together.

You might need to research the music to figure it out, though. You take a listen to Deconstruction and you might be rubbing your head. But Devin put out a commentary for it, explaining how it's all one entire story.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

You might need to research the music to figure it out, though. You take a listen to Deconstruction and you might be rubbing your head. But Devin put out a commentary for it, explaining how it's all one entire story.

Eh, when I said a "point" I meant more musically than anything else. It rarely feels like Devy is just loving around randomly.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Devin is definitely way more structured than Mr. Bungle.

Anyway, first review of Z2 is out. The guy loved it, but the review itself is pretty crap.

http://damnationmag.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/album-review-devin-townsend-project-z2/

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

henpod posted:

Anyway, first review of Z2 is out. The guy loved it, but the review itself is pretty crap.

http://damnationmag.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/album-review-devin-townsend-project-z2/

God this guy's writing style. Glad it's solid though. I hope Sky Blue is closer to Addicted! or the old Devin stuff like Synchestra - Epicloud was good but I felt it relied too much on walls of synth and vocals and kinda lost the guitar work.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

henpod posted:

I've seen 'My Summer Vacation' essays written better than this. I was looking for maybe descriptions of songs and ideas as opposed to 'this song is good'.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
All I learned from that blokes article was the track titles and which song titles he liked more than the others...

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
Devin's recent twitter storm reminded me how much I hate that fart noise on deconstruction. I hate it as much as I love devin's music as a whole, i.e I hate it a great deal.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

SKELETONS posted:

Devin's recent twitter storm reminded me how much I hate that fart noise on deconstruction. I hate it as much as I love devin's music as a whole, i.e I hate it a great deal.

Me too. Sounds like I'll probably be spinning the "no dialogue" disk.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Devin did an AMA

http://www.reddit.com/r/progmetal/comments/2ghf55/hi_this_is_devin_welcome_to_my_ama/

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, I'm always taken aback by Devin when he's in an interview.

You see him on stage with a gigantic penis and gigantic vagina, screaming song like Kingdom at the top of his lungs at you or launching into something incredibly uplifting like Grace, then you see he's really quite insecure. I'd give the man a hug, but I don't think he'd appreciate it.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I feel bad because so many people respond to his posts with 'OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING I AM SO EXCITED'

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

yo look what just appeared

edit: where do I get that background at the start it's amazing

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 17, 2014

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Nam Taf posted:

That is great. Really looking forward to hearing how the whole thing turned out. Man time flies. It has been two years since epicloud.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nam Taf posted:

https://imgur.com/uN1Q7kE

From the YT comments... who would have thought!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

jonathan posted:

That is amazing.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

jonathan posted:

I looked through the comments when it was still showing "301+ views" and it was all just "OMG IM GUSHING" style responses and coffee memes.

Thanks!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Piece with Devin in the UK's* Independant newspaper:

Devin Townsend interview: 'When I look back at my musical catalogue, Zē is going to define it'.

*plus or minus Scotland** after tomorrow.

**Yup. Still with us.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 22, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Scotland will still be part of the UK until at least 2015.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From here, via Metalsucks: the packaging!

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I like the DTP album cover. Very Terria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

• Locked thread