Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
wish he'd progress to something without internet access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

I find it endlessly amusing that I've 'progressed' in my home browsing habits from a laptop, to a Playbook, to the Q10.

oh man

pram
Jun 10, 2001
he bought a playbook

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pram posted:

he bought a playbook

maybe he got it for free somehow

like that one yosposter

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
YOU MONSTERS!! YOU CALL THIS PROGRESS?!?!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

some online stores are listing the passport at $900 USD

http://www.confidencebusiness.com/store/

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Nelson MandEULA posted:

YOU MONSTERS!! YOU CALL THIS PROGRESS?!?!

tools not toys

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

makes sense for minecraft

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

makes sense for minecraft

truly you are the master of "getting" "subtle" "humor" :ocelot:

also wtf is this poo poo :goku:

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

sorry im busy checking my emails over here

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

sorry im busy checking my emails over here

just fuckin with ya

also why does everyone have a grenade next to their name now

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

platinum grenade

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

platinum grenade

thanks be to richard

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

just fuckin with ya

also why does everyone have a grenade next to their name now

new coder was testing something small and innocuous before addressing larger changes. the first test was to see if he could give icons based upon usergroup. originally it was just a little grey box for platinum users but that was migrated to the grenade.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

because Message wouldn't fit

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
shocked this hadn't happened already:

"the grauniad posted:

Bad news, BlackBerry: UK user base will fall below that of Windows Phone this year
Forecast from eMarketer says that dwindling BlackBerry users will be outnumbers by those with Microsoft’s Windows Phone – though Android and iPhone will extend lead into 2015

BlackBerry’s Z10 met indifferent buyer reactions - and now the company’s strong position in the UK is being eroded. Photograph: Nathan Denette/AP

BlackBerry’s UK user base will fall below that of Windows Phone this year, ending its position as a stronghold for the brand in Europe, according to new data from research group eMarketer.

From a position at the end of 2013 where BlackBerry had 3.6m UK users, against 1.9m for Windows Phone and legacy Windows Mobile users, by the end of this year Blackberry will have 2.4m users - against 2.7m for Microsoft’s platform, eMarketer says.

By contrast Android phone use will have gone from 16.5m to 19.3m in the same time, and Apple’s iPhone from 9.6m to 11.1m, eMarketer says. Between them, Android phones and iPhones will have 53% and 30.5% of the smartphone market by the end of 2015, eMarketer says - and forecasts that will grow to 54% and 31.5% respectively by the end of 2015.

By then BlackBerry’s installed base is forecast to have fallen to just 1.4m consumers, eMarketer says.

The decline is a blow for BlackBerry, for which the UK was once a key market. It depends for the majority of its revenues on handset sales - which have crashed from a quarterly high of nearly 15m at the end of 2010 to only 1.6m in its most recent financial quarter.

But the news is encouraging for Microsoft, which has been trying to catch up with the growth of Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android since launching Windows Phone in 2010.

“The demise of BlackBerry has long been documented, but these numbers highlight just how far it has fallen from grace,” said Bill Fisher, UK analyst at eMarketer. “Android and iOS are clearly dominant, but while Microsoft is making significant effort to grow its presence by buying Nokia’s mobile phone unit and recently partnering with HTC to offer a Windows-based version of the flagship HTC One M8, BlackBerry appears to have been treading water.”

eMarketer estimates for UK smartphone installed base by platform 2013-2015. Photograph: /eMarketer

Amid thumping losses and buyer indifference to its new BB10 handsets, BlackBerry ousted its previous chief executive Thorsten Heins in September 2013, and replaced him with outsider John Chen, who was given a mission to turn the loss-making smartphone company around.

Chen has cut jobs and focussed the company on its “core competency” of secure messaging for businesses and governments - leading to the claim today by David Cameron that he relies on his BlackBerry to run the country remotely.

But it seems that will not reverse BlackBerry’s slide among consumers, even as usage of smartphones grows.

Windows Phone will have a 7.5% share of the UK installed base by the end of 2014, and 9% - or 3.5m users - by the end of 2015, the company says.

That still leaves Windows Phone some distance behind the iPhone, forecasts to have 12.4m users then, and Android phones overall, expected to have 21.3m users.

Following a dramatic rise in smartphone penetration during 2013 to reach 64.3% of all mobile phone users, and 51.6% of all the population, eMarketer says that by the end of 2014 smartphone ownership will hit 69.5% of mobile phone users, and 56.1% of the population.

But it forecasts a slowdown by the end of 2018, with user numbers growing that year by only 3.4% to around 46.4m, by which time 84.8% of mobile phone users will have one.

Nokia’s discontinued Symbian still has faithful users, according to the study, which reckons there were 1m users at the end of 2014 and will still be 0.5m at the end of this year. The last Symbian phone was released in 2012, but data from Kantar, another research company, shows that Symbian ownership in the UK peaked in September 2010 at around 7m users, or 37% of smartphone owners at the time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nelson MandEULA posted:

shocked this hadn't happened already:

nah since its total userbase and 1% of people were still using symbian last year its not much of a surprise blackberry was still holding onto to some people

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

is bbry dead yet?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

start the bbwatchwatch

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Nope. Still buying other companies http://www.theglobeandmail.com/tech...rticle20531197/

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ah, the "taking you all with us" approach

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
London Gets Launch Event For BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Porsche Design P’9983

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  AND  FACE  TO  PORSCHE  DESIGN

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Kenny Logins posted:

:stonklol:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the article doesnt make it clear if its london, england or london, ontario

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
gonna ignore that thing on the left and just marvel at how impressively 2008 the one on the right is

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

My friend owns the 2 PD stores in Illinois (Chicago & some suburb somewhere) and he says those PDBBs are bought almost exclusively by middle eastern guys.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

FMguru posted:

the article doesnt make it clear if its london, england or london, ontario
they do mention "the harrods" which idk if london, on has a ripoff of that too or not

i'm the crosshair on the trackbuttan

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

My friend owns the 2 PD stores in Illinois (Chicago & some suburb somewhere) and he says those PDBBs are bought almost exclusively by middle eastern guys.
dubai event gonna be poppin' then

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
we've moved onto iphones and just samsungs

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

dubai event gonna be poppin' then

i also have no idea how he made so much money on the first store that he was able to open the second. poo poo, he said he'd charge me cost on anything i wanted and i still don't want anything there.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i also have no idea how he made so much money on the first store that he was able to open the second. poo poo, he said he'd charge me cost on anything i wanted and i still don't want anything there.
maybe he was connected to that truck of stolen playbooks like 3 years ago now

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Kenny Logins posted:

they do mention "the harrods" which idk if london, on has a ripoff of that too or not
likely

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
reminder

quote:

RIM had a complete internal panic when Apple unveiled the iPhone in 2007, a former employee revealed this weekend. The BlackBerry maker is now known to have held multiple all-hands meetings on January 10 that year, a day after the iPhone was on stage, and to have made outlandish claims about its features. Apple was effectively accused of lying as it was supposedly impossible that a device could have such a large touchscreen but still get a usable lifespan away from a power outlet.

The iPhone “couldn’t do what [Apple was] demonstrating without an insanely power hungry processor, it must have terrible battery life,” Shacknews poster Kentor heard from his former colleagues of the time. “Imagine their surprise [at RIM] when they disassembled an iPhone for the first time and found that the phone was battery with a tiny logic board strapped to it.”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

the Harrods

lmao

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
blackberry needs to get on the watch bandwagon so this thread can achieve its final form

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
coming in 2017

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

oh cool the blackberry p'zone isn't dead yet

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

can you buy PD stuff at an actual porsche car dealer or do you have to go to PD outlets

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

gonna ignore that thing on the left and just marvel at how impressively 2008 the one on the right is

Francois Suanez · Business Conduct Examiner at Investment Industry Regulatory Organisation of Canada
Dave Hargraves: You're not listening, go back to your classroom! lol Times are changing for BB. App gap has been filled, BB10.3 blows the competition out the water in terms of productivity, communication tools and security, and the Blackberry Passport is a very unique device with innovative technology that will appeal to many who are fed up with the same iOS or Android devices like me. And remember, Blackberry is no longer a handset only company. With JC at the helm this company now has a very bright future ahead!
Reply · Like · 6 hours ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

reminder that the advertising for the playbook was "you should have waited", it was priced the same as an ipad, and couldn't do messaging without being tethered to a blackberry

• Locked thread