Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Why can Level 5 make a well paced RPG that doesn't have a series-long template to follow? No no Kuni, Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy all had strong starts and burned me out early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I rather liked Ni No Kuni. Hopefully if there is a sequel then some of the annoyances around combat can be smoothed out as that was the only thing preventing the game from being truly outstanding. Presentation and atmosphere in that game were great. Dark Cloud 2 I thought was excellent and it is a shame we'll never have a sequel. Then again that's pretty much on-par with Sony's RPG efforts.

As far as continuity goes, you know, for all the hate it gets, Xenosaga series is fairly good at building up the plot... if II could have been split across I and III. The third game of the series is the best as well, IMO. Of course Europe got screwed with only II being released... and that was the worst of the 3 games by quite a bit.

I almost forgot about Yakuza. I mean that's a premier example of continuity being handled well and really Yakuza is pretty much ARPG brawler at it's heart with much manliness and drama (SEGA!!!). You have the mainline story continuing over 5 games. Oh, and Falcom Trails series is all about continuity and we might even find out early next year in English if that's the truth.

Of course, some PC RPGs managed continuity quite well between the titles. Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect in particular stand out.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Dark Cloud 2 was so loving good. Great soundtrack, fun setpieces, hilariously stupid looking weapons. I've wanted Dark Cloud 3 for a decade :(.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zaggitz posted:

Dark Cloud 2 was so loving good. Great soundtrack, fun setpieces, hilariously stupid looking weapons. I've wanted Dark Cloud 3 for a decade :(.
Am I the only person who actually enjoyed Dark Cloud 1 more? It was way less polished as a game, but for some reason I just liked it better.

(partially because I hated the camera system gently caress you Maxwell or whatever your name is)

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Ni No Kuni is just begging for a spiritual sequel. Ghibli aesthetic and Level 5 gameplay, even the core mechanics (monster capturing) can stay--just refine the battle system, maybe eliminate party members all together and have you control multiple monsters at once.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Cloud to butt is always the best part of my day :allears:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Am I the only person who actually enjoyed Dark Cloud 1 more? It was way less polished as a game, but for some reason I just liked it better.

(partially because I hated the camera system gently caress you Maxwell or whatever your name is)

Honestly, the only complaint I have about Dark Cloud is that it doesn't have quite as nice a Georama system as Chronicle. That's basically it.

Well, maybe forcing you to use new party members before you get a chance to really grind them up but that's only really an issue for Goro (mostly because he sucks in general); once you hit Queens, that's no longer really a problem anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

JASTER :byodood:
JASTER :byodame:

I love that the spaceships are just loving ships in space. That poo poo rules.

True on both counts, but almost all the prompts were actually useful and saved a lot of menu searching to re-apply buffs or toss out heal/revive items. It really helped combat stay at a nice fast pace rather than short bouts of combat interspersed with constant menu pausing the way Tales games can sometimes get.

Though I do like that Tales of Vesperia has something similar with the AI party members going "gonna use this item if you don't press LB!" with a little picture of the item in question over their character picture.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

True on both counts, but almost all the prompts were actually useful and saved a lot of menu searching to re-apply buffs or toss out heal/revive items. It really helped combat stay at a nice fast pace rather than short bouts of combat interspersed with constant menu pausing the way Tales games can sometimes get.

Oh I agree completely, it's just that a lot of my memories of the game are people screaming JASTER!!

Also the music in the ship and planet Zerard.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I prefer Dark Cloud 2, but I know my brother prefers Dark Cloud 1. He doesn't like the characters of 2 and feels that the Georama from 1 gave him more freedom.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Ni No Kuni is just begging for a spiritual sequel. Ghibli aesthetic and Level 5 gameplay, even the core mechanics (monster capturing) can stay--just refine the battle system, maybe eliminate party members all together and have you control multiple monsters at once.

I believe you mean "overhaul" but you're absolutely correct, everything outside the battle system was actually rather decent. The quests were kind of dumb, and a lot of them boiled down to "Hide and Seek" but that's OK, it was really part of its charm at some points.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Though I do like that Tales of Vesperia has something similar with the AI party members going "gonna use this item if you don't press LB!" with a little picture of the item in question over their character picture.
Tales of Xillia lets you set conditions for allies to use specific items, like 'use an apple gel when someone goes below half health, and a lemon gel when someone goes below 30%'

But it didn't have the LB-warning thing, which is weird.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hubris.height posted:

I believe you mean "overhaul" but you're absolutely correct, everything outside the battle system was actually rather decent. The quests were kind of dumb, and a lot of them boiled down to "Hide and Seek" but that's OK, it was really part of its charm at some points.

The fetch a monster quests were dumb because you couldn't target a specific monster to recruit. You'd have to luck into getting it in battle then hope it wants to join you.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

But it didn't have the LB-warning thing, which is weird.

That ends up being nice in the instance that you need somebody alive RIGHT THE gently caress NOW instead of after the warning has time for you to notice.

Also, Dark Cloud 2 would be almost perfect if they didn't flat out tell you how to beat each boss. Like, they all have some sort of interesting gimmick but the game won't let it go without telling you what to do and it makes all the bosses more boring than they need to be.

Probably would have played Spheda more if the first dungeon didn't have water traps on the side of every piece of the map.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Spheda was at its best in the jungle. Bank that shot straight through three dungeon walls and into the rift.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Phantasium posted:

That ends up being nice in the instance that you need somebody alive RIGHT THE gently caress NOW instead of after the warning has time for you to notice.

The PS3 version of Vesperia has the option to "allow" items instead of "decline" them, so they still do the "I'm going to use an item!" thing and you have to press R3 to actually confirm the usage, which has the advantage of reducing the delay.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

The best example I can think of for a multipart game that's not just one game stretched too long is Persona 2. Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are technically both Persona 2 but in reality they're two separate 40 to 60 hour games that feature the same characters, themes and plot points.

Each iteration of Persona 2 was relatively self-contained but even then there were tons of moments in EP where I felt confused or that I was missing something important when I originally played it on the PS1. Returning after IS it was much more enjoyable and fulfilling because all the little nods to IS added up to feel like you neglected something if you hadn't played it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

a medical mystery posted:

Each iteration of Persona 2 was relatively self-contained but even then there were tons of moments in EP where I felt confused or that I was missing something important when I originally played it on the PS1. Returning after IS it was much more enjoyable and fulfilling because all the little nods to IS added up to feel like you neglected something if you hadn't played it.

I dunno, I think you could have a different but equally interesting experience if you played Eternal Punishment up to where Tatsuya talks about the events of Innocent Sin, then play through Innocent Sin, before finishing Eternal Punishment. Sort of gives it a mystery vibe as you try and piece everything together.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Kild posted:

The fetch a monster quests were dumb because you couldn't target a specific monster to recruit. You'd have to luck into getting it in battle then hope it wants to join you.

gently caress I repressed that memory. :smith: What a bunch of wasted potential that game was because the thing you spent the most time doing was so aggressively bad.

How was Tales of Xillia 2, by the way? I still have to beat 1, but I'm pretty far and its been a fun ride for the most part. Is 2 worth getting on sale?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I have Tales of xillia, and I really want to play it...but I can't. Because Tales of Graces f ruined Tales games for me. That drat title system made individual battles fun, since it gave dozens of mini-goals to accomplish, like attacking with certain attacks, characters, special moves, etc, and you got rewarded with more goals, more abilities, stronger moves, etc. Every Tales game since is just...eh. The combat is cool, but it just doesn't have the extra flavour.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hubris.height posted:

How was Tales of Xillia 2, by the way? I still have to beat 1, but I'm pretty far and its been a fun ride for the most part. Is 2 worth getting on sale?

It's the JRPG equivalent of No More Heroes. You go around doing random poo poo to make money and when you have enough you pay to get to the next story segment. The rest of it's mostly the same as the first game except with problems fixed and more abilities, etc.

I'd probably not recommend going straight to it, though, since there's a lot of recycled areas and it could get tedious if you just jump into it right after the first game, but there's little reason for you not to like it if you liked the first game.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Honestly, if they do something like Ni No Kuni again, they should just stick with what they did with the DS version. Combat was a regular Turn-based JRPG, so the party members' AI was more then adequate, and whenever you did magic you had to actually draw the runes, rather then just picking from a list. That was also the version that came with a physical copy of the book, so you had to look up the magic spell you wanted to cast, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

I have Tales of xillia, and I really want to play it...but I can't. Because Tales of Graces f ruined Tales games for me. That drat title system made individual battles fun, since it gave dozens of mini-goals to accomplish, like attacking with certain attacks, characters, special moves, etc, and you got rewarded with more goals, more abilities, stronger moves, etc. Every Tales game since is just...eh. The combat is cool, but it just doesn't have the extra flavour.

Tales of Xillia lets you find and collect hidden decorative items you can stick on your party members anywhere you want. It's just as silly as you think. Alvin was the prettiest princess with his tiara. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tales of Xillia lets you find and collect hidden decorative items you can stick on your party members anywhere you want. It's just as silly as you think. Alvin was the prettiest princess with his tiara. :allears:

To further emphasize this you can resize them, reshape them and recolor them as well as put them anywhere you want.

And it carries over into battle and cutscenes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think at one point in my playthrough, Rowen had a giant Mandragora head on with his glasses on it, and Alvin had a Yuri doll coming out of his crotch just because I thought Danger Jr. sounded like a dick name.

Alvin is currently Big Boss.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely used this. That mercenary guy was sporting large aviators the second I got him into my party - and I don't think I saw the main character's face one I blew something up and covered his entire face with it.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Honestly, if they do something like Ni No Kuni again, they should just stick with what they did with the DS version. Combat was a regular Turn-based JRPG, so the party members' AI was more then adequate, and whenever you did magic you had to actually draw the runes, rather then just picking from a list. That was also the version that came with a physical copy of the book, so you had to look up the magic spell you wanted to cast, too.

Yeah, if they would improve AI and AI scripts as well as offer more options with "pokemons" and offer pause option, combat would be a lot better. Dumbest thing had to be to lock away Defend All until half the game was over.

That said I still loved NNK. It was one of the better JRPGs on the platform. ToX was pretty decent, better story vs Graces even if combat wasn't as good. Vesperia trumps any of them though (havent played ToX2). I even played through the PS3 version.

On PS2 RPGs - how is Arc the Lad Twilight of Spirits? I got it a while back for $5 so figured why not. Grandia 2 and 3 are also ony list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oblomov posted:

Yeah, if they would improve AI and AI scripts as well as offer more options with "pokemons" and offer pause option, combat would be a lot better. Dumbest thing had to be to lock away Defend All until half the game was over.

That said I still loved NNK. It was one of the better JRPGs on the platform. ToX was pretty decent, better story vs Graces even if combat wasn't as good. Vesperia trumps any of them though (havent played ToX2). I even played through the PS3 version.

On PS2 RPGs - how is Arc the Lad Twilight of Spirits? I got it a while back for $5 so figured why not. Grandia 2 and 3 are also ony list.

Twilight of Spirits is... it's okay? I guess that's really all I can say about it. Did you play the previous Arc games? It's pretty much a extension of those with a two-protagonist cast. I didn't hate it or anything but it's kinda unmemorable except for having a human cast who is boring as hell and a Demi-Human cast who is more interesting in almost every way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

oblomov posted:

I played it on a whim years ago and more or less liked it. The gimmick is that you have two different parties who actively work against each other; I vaguely recall that the human-side was kind of dumb in the usual JRPG way but the demon-side was sort of OK? Also the final boss takes a ridiculously long time to kill. Like, 2 hours or something silly.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Also the final boss takes a ridiculously long time to kill. Like, 2 hours or something silly.

I see they hadn't learned anything from Arc the Lad II.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Yes, I quite liked the first two PSX games. I just missed a ton of JRPGs on PS2 so started to catch up recently since I picked up a ton of them over the years.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 17, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Phantasium posted:

Probably would have played Spheda more if the first dungeon didn't have water traps on the side of every piece of the map.

The first dungeon is secretly Spheda hell. Skip it at first and do the awesome 2 and 3, and the somewhat boring but easy 4. By the time you get to dungeon 5 you'll be ready for its brand of :unsmigghh:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Nate RFB posted:

I played it on a whim years ago and more or less liked it. The gimmick is that you have two different parties who actively work against each other; I vaguely recall that the human-side was kind of dumb in the usual JRPG way but the demon-side was sort of OK? Also the final boss takes a ridiculously long time to kill. Like, 2 hours or something silly.

It's weird because the game didn't have great production value and the combat was mediocre but I still liked and finished it.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Best word for Twilight of Spirits is tedious. Battles are slow as gently caress and the story is super painful, and the game really likes to force the humans on you when those guys are loving boring.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twilight of the Spirits is a game that basically needed to be cut in half. Have the battles take half as long, have the story be just about the demon dudes instead of the human cast butting in constantly.

The human side seriously must be the most boring party in RPG history, and it's even worse because the demons are actually pretty cool.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Elminage Gothic unlocks on Steam in an hour.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

iastudent posted:

Elminage Gothic unlocks on Steam in an hour.

I'm very ready. Where will the soundtrack and the Artbook be on launch? I don't normally prepurchase games that have items like that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I liked Twilight of Spirits, but I pretty much like all the Arc the Lad games anyway. Maru and Bebedora were pretty neat characters.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Streaming Elminage Gothic.

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So it looks a lot like Elminage Original mechanically which makes sense. I want a brawler again because brawlers rock, but in Original, their best items were stolen and invariably cursed. Is it still a good idea to make them the race that's immune to curses?