Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
I would love to see the Dendrobium in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Take a page out of Reborn and have a speed kill battle with nothing but Big Zams. The teams have to kill as many Big Zams as they can within the time limit.

A Big Zam being the head of a Neo Zeong with a Shamblo as a back pack.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Missing Link posted:

And Neue Ziel arms

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

100% chance we are getting a customized Big Zam.
"Today on "Will It Blend?", we will be combining the Big Zam, Val Varo, Neue Ziel, Patulia and the Neo Zeong. Let's see what happens."

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I find it funny that Build Burning Gundam has no inspiration from God Gundam at all, despite completely reeking of G Gundam aesthetics.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
BF Burning is just another cut-and-paste job from Okie's F91 slushpile, it's about as generic as his designs get.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Missing Link posted:

Using a Destroy Gundam as a Base Jabber.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Bimmi posted:

BF Burning is just another cut-and-paste job from Okie's F91 slushpile, it's about as generic as his designs get.

Speaking of F91, I just watched the Meijin v Meijin episode. Should the Blonde guy's F91 be noticeably smaller than Yuuki's Exia? Or is the answer just "gunpla"?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, it's a (relatively) tiny little thing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kingtheninja posted:

Speaking of F91, I just watched the Meijin v Meijin episode. Should the Blonde guy's F91 be noticeably smaller than Yuuki's Exia? Or is the answer just "gunpla"?

F-91 is only 15 meters tall compared to Exia's 18 meters.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

F91 is a shrimp. It's amusingly tiny in the DW Gundam games too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ah okay, I thought the size difference was more than that. Did Victory suits go back to normal size or did they keep the smaller F91 ratio?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Ah okay, I thought the size difference was more than that. Did Victory suits go back to normal size or did they keep the smaller F91 ratio?

They stayed small. The high point of UC size was the CCA/Hathaway's Flash suits. After that beam weaponry became so powerful for its size that having a small and agile mobile suit was more effective than a bigger or heavily armored one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
In UC everything from F91 on is 15 meters because apparently the F91 and the related suits represented an industrial revolution or something.
e:

ImpAtom posted:

They stayed small. The high point of UC size was the CCA/Hathaway's Flash suits. After that beam weaponry became so powerful for its size that having a small and agile mobile suit was more effective than a bigger or heavily armored one.
Well, Unicorn Destroy is 22 meters tall, same with banshee norn. Still shrimpy next to the Xi. but bigger than the OG Gundam.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 17, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

In UC everything from F91 on is 15 meters because apparently the F91 and the related suits represented an industrial revolution or something.
e:

Well, Unicorn Destroy is 22 meters tall, same with banshee norn. Still shrimpy next to the Xi. but bigger than the OG Gundam.

Yeah, Unicorn is between CCA and Hathaway. Nu Gundam and Sazbai are in that range.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I thought it went CCA, Hathaway, Unicorn. My bad. :shobon:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Kurieg posted:

Crossbone Ghost actually makes use of this difference, with a literal museum piece of a Zaku II going up against a more modern MS, whose computer has trouble adjusting for the size difference between them by misjudging the distance between the two, thinking it's closer than it actually is and missing the target.

Then a much older Tobia Arronax fends off the other MS in the titular Crossbone Ghost. Note that he's blind while doing this.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Kurieg posted:

I thought it went CCA, Hathaway, Unicorn. My bad. :shobon:

There's only 3 years between CCA and Unicorn. 9 years later in 105 we get Hathaways Flash.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

StrifeHira posted:

Crossbone Ghost actually makes use of this difference, with a literal museum piece of a Zaku II going up against a more modern MS, whose computer has trouble adjusting for the size difference between them by misjudging the distance between the two, thinking it's closer than it actually is and missing the target.

Then a much older Tobia Arronax fends off the other MS in the titular Crossbone Ghost. Note that he's blind while doing this.

Who designs their target computers to use optical size comparison to guesstimate range without including a database of MS designs and their dimensions? I don't care how old the Zaku II is, at that point in the future datastorage is unlikely to be an issue!

Or better yet, use LIDAR rangefinding if conditions are good enough for optical tracking. :downs:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Who designs their target computers to use optical size comparison to guesstimate range without including a database of MS designs and their dimensions?

Military contractors, am I rite guys

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eej posted:

Military contractors, am I rite guys

quote:

WASHINGTON—Escalating recent budgetary disputes with the White House over military spending, members of Congress signaled their hesitance Thursday to curtail funding for the M114 Armored Combat Vehicle, a midsize tank whose sole capability is spinning 360 degrees in place and then exploding.

The 70-ton tactical battle tank commonly known as the Dervish, which reportedly has a price tag of $95 million per vehicle and is said to begin emitting volatile, combustible fumes and sending off a dangerous fountain of sparks immediately after it is started, has been called a vital asset to national security by top congressmen on both sides of the aisle. While detractors have attempted to defund the project over the years due to its ballooning cost and the loss of every vehicle so far deployed, advocates have been able to preserve the program from cuts, hailing the tank’s rightward-only movement and propensity to ignite in a towering fireball as the centerpiece of America’s war effort.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Who designs their target computers to use optical size comparison to guesstimate range without including a database of MS designs and their dimensions? I don't care how old the Zaku II is, at that point in the future datastorage is unlikely to be an issue!

Or better yet, use LIDAR rangefinding if conditions are good enough for optical tracking. :downs:

http://youtu.be/aXQ2lO3ieBA

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Posting duffleblog is cheating. To the point, though, I doubt the Los Angeles class attack submarines carry around acoustic fingerprints of 1940s Kreigsmarine subs in their databases.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I have a question for you gundam fans. Why was AGE so bad?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ka0 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508416&userid=136166#post433103013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Because it was written poorly.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

The story was bad, and every interesting idea in the show (the constantly evolving Gundam, the oldtype son of a newtype hero, seeing a war effect multiple generations) was squandered so completely they almost had to have been actively trying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ka0 posted:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
THE REASON WHY THE ALIENS INVADE IS BECAUSE THEIR COLONY IS NEAR HARMFUL RAYS AND FOUGHT for 100 YEARS

THEIR COLONY CAN MOVE APPARENTLY IN THE LAST FEW EPISODES THE ENTIRE TIME

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The reason I asked is, a friend and I are watching build fighters and at some point during episode 2 we looked at each other with the weirdest look you can imagine and said "this is some pokemon poo poo going on right here". I've never been a big fan of the lore but I can tell a crossbones from a rgm-79, I was wondering what horrors did AGE bring forth to have gundam just skip the fluff and go straight into toyline mode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

what horrors did AGE bring forth to have gundam just skip the fluff and go straight into toyline mode.

really bad model sales

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

boom boom boom posted:

really bad model sales

So bad that five Master Grades got canceled, and the ones that did get made apparently all sold like poo poo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ka0 posted:

The reason I asked is, a friend and I are watching build fighters and at some point during episode 2 we looked at each other with the weirdest look you can imagine and said "this is some pokemon poo poo going on right here". I've never been a big fan of the lore but I can tell a crossbones from a rgm-79, I was wondering what horrors did AGE bring forth to have gundam just skip the fluff and go straight into toyline mode.
The best way to explain is as following:
Imagine a whole bunch of pretty decent concepts, executed in the downright worst way possible, with the worst connections between them and being downright misogynistic in addition. It wasn't even "playing it safe" because it did try some new things and failed hilariously bad at it all. That's AGE.

Now imagine a show that is all about the merchandize, and extremely self aware about it. It has plenty of flaws and some concepts get overused, but it also has a ton of creativity in it. But it really doesn't take it self very serious. While the ladies in it show promise they do get sidelines but otherwise it's a perfectly fun merchandise promoting show. That's build fighters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Probably the worst part is that you know it's a generational show so it's not a question of if they'll get together. It's which one of the women will get chosen as the mother and moved permanently to the sidelines.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The main beef of the villain faction in AGE is that they were abandoned to rot on a colony above Mars and suffer from chronic and ultimately lethal illness due to some sort of radiation from Mars.

The colony is mobile and could have left Mars any drat time they wanted.

That is the quality of AGE writing.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The ultimate plan of the villain is to have a huge war that kills everyone who likes war even a little. Therefore only peaceful people are left to live on Earth.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
When the female staff asked why the main character's long dead love interest played a greater role than his wife, the main writer said he thought it made perfect sense.

You can go on and on about stupid poo poo that happens in AGE. It's not like Destiny where there's bursts of concentrated idiocy among a sea of boring, AGE is just constantly befuddling. And not even in an interesting way.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Pureauthor posted:

The main beef of the villain faction in AGE is that they were abandoned to rot on a colony above Mars and suffer from chronic and ultimately lethal illness due to some sort of radiation from Mars.

The colony is mobile and could have left Mars any drat time they wanted.

That is the quality of AGE writing.

Was any attempt at all made to explain this, even a bullshit one? If not, that's some seriously hardcore contempt for your audience right there.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The writer for AGE, Akihiro Hino, said that he thinks any plot holes in something would be automatically filled in by the audiences thinking about it and that it should be treated like a puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

When the female staff asked why the main character's long dead love interest played a greater role than his wife, the main writer said he thought it made perfect sense.

To be fair, if it were well written I could very much see this being a thing. Some people have a really hard time letting go of a traumatic event. A better show would have handled Flit's marriage as the loveless, perfunctory affair that it actually was, something that existed solely so that Flit could have another generation to carry on his genocidal endeavors or out of some misplaced sense of duty to the family line.

If it were well written.

• Locked thread