Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A distant relative shared this on Facebook.

I live in a very old house with single-pane windows and incredibly crappy jambs that have all sorts of gaps in them. We got some thick plastic film and duct taped it to the inside window frame itself so that basically the entire inside of the window was covered, and that helped a lot. looks like total garbage, but it's much less drafty in the winter and saved us a shitton on gas (which is the whole point)

also it was plastic film that we made by melting coffee stirrers from Starbucks with a solar oven so it fits in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
The bubble wrap is actually a good idea, not a dumb lifehack.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I taped a thermal blanket over my windows, hoping to keep out some of the heat as well as light in the morning. Barely worked for the heat, was alright for light. From an interior design standpoint, I'd advise anyone to steer clear of it.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
You people do know you can cheaply buy thermal insulation curtains, right? They're like $15 each.

Mounting them can be a bit of a bitch, since they need to hug the wall as much as possible, but if you're the kind of person who is willing to consider bubble-wrapping your windows, the idea of mounting them with duct tape or something probably won't bother you.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I made an egg sandwich and added a few crumbled Maple Bacon kettle chips on top and it was pretty good. Not quite as classy as chips and ketchup of course.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Sir_Substance posted:

You people do know you can cheaply buy thermal insulation curtains, right? They're like $15 each.

Mounting them can be a bit of a bitch, since they need to hug the wall as much as possible, but if you're the kind of person who is willing to consider bubble-wrapping your windows, the idea of mounting them with duct tape or something probably won't bother you.

Hmm, that's a completely different product that doesn't serve the same purpose as well, and you actually have to go out and spend money on it. The point of the bubble wrap is you put it up in a room that doesn't see much use (such as a guest room) and it'll prevent heat loss similar to double glazing, whilst letting in light and reducing condensation/mould on the windows/window sill. It's basically free and takes like 5 seconds to take down again. The privacy effect from scattering light could also be seen as an advantage if you're putting it in a shed or anywhere you're storing stuff.

Of course if you're poor and renting some lovely cold apartment it is by far the cheapest and easiest way to insulate all the windows, so it's an option available to you at least, even if it has aesthetic drawbacks. It's a good 'tip' or whatever.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Don't use bubble wrap on your windows, you lunatics, there's an adhesive plastic film you can buy that will do a much better job. lovely wall paper from the 70s transformed into packing material should not go on your windows.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I think you should just avoid posting if you're not sure what you're talking about.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Aggressive pricing posted:

lovely wall paper from the 70s transformed into packing material should not go on your windows.

I had no idea that it was originally designed as a wall paper. It was the 50s, not the 70s, but still, mind blown.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Drowning In Terror posted:

I think you should just avoid posting if you're not sure what you're talking about.

If that's at me, I'm licensed in HVAC and have forgotten more about insulating houses than most people have ever known. All the bubbles making contact with the window pane act as thermal bridges that heat will escape through. The proper way to do it is a plastic film that goes around the window frame, making absolutely no contact with the window.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

walla!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Good thing I always take peroxide to the beach!

Lifehack: carry everything you ever need (or don't need) on your back like one of those trolls in The Labyrinth.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Lifehack: buy a battery powered lantern for like ten goddamn dollars.

Double lifehack: keep spare batteries in your camping or beach gear! They take up less space than baking soda and peroxide and aren't dependent on Jerry not drinking the last of the loving Mountain Dew!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

gently caress, they have that poo poo here in Los Angeles as well, in small convenience stores. Want to buy a pack of cigarettes on credit? Well, you better buy two if you don't want to pay extra!

Someday, the world will realise its mistake and just use PIN as the card of choice...
https://www.pinwise.com.au/
Australia isn't arse-backwards all the time :(

Having said that a 20/22 packet of cigarettes is around $13AUD+ now.
And they all look like this.
E-cigs laws are still a lazy half-arsed lawed minefield too (You're allowed to import no issue, but selling in Aus itself is illegal, kind of, it depends.)

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Yesterday I discovered my own crappy lifehack. While visiting mcdonalds for some hangover food, I mixed orange and strawberry frutopia fountain drink and it tasted exactly like peach. You're welcome. :colbert:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Fruit Punch and sprite are hecka good together

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Yesterday I discovered my own crappy lifehack. While visiting mcdonalds for some hangover food, I mixed orange and strawberry frutopia fountain drink and it tasted exactly like peach. You're welcome. :colbert:

Where do you live that Fruitopia still exists there?

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Blendy posted:

Good thing I always take peroxide to the beach!

Lifehack: carry everything you ever need (or don't need) on your back like one of those trolls in The Labyrinth.

You joke, but they post these all the loving time:
The Fully Loaded Briefcase

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Would a mod please add "walla!" to the title?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

DrBouvenstein posted:

Where do you live that Fruitopia still exists there?

Canada?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

McDonald's fountains in Michigan have a couple kinds of Fruitopia, but I haven't seen it anywhere else in ages.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

betaraywil posted:

I like how the wallet in the linked list is $360. Lifehack: buy a normal wallet* for like $10. It works the same as any other wallet, walla!

*Duct tape wallets are not normal and are stupid

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Wait, there are places where Fruitopia doesn't exist anymore?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Even if you have peroxide, you guys know the Mt. Dew thing is simply 100% not true at all right?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I've always liked this "hack", using dishwashing soap to clean the dishes: http://lifehacker.com/5385784/dishwasher-detergent-soak-cleans-dishes-overnight

betaraywil posted:

They have to call out the brand of every little thing too, very postmodern. That's not a notebook. It's a Moleskine. That's not just a lighter, it's a Bic.

Stick Insect has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Sep 17, 2014

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
The thing I like most about the Frutopia being available at McDonalds is that every so often people will probably have some, or maybe give it to their kids, thinking it's probably a more health-conscious choice - has fruit, must be good, right?

The reality is that the Frutopia in the fountain at McDonalds has more calories than the Coke.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Stick Insect posted:

I've always liked this "hack", using dishwashing soap to clean the dishes: http://lifehacker.com/5385784/dishwasher-detergent-soak-cleans-dishes-overnight

They have to call out the brand of every little thing too, very postmodern. That's not a notebook. It's a Moleskine. That's not just a lighter, it's a Bic.

i wasnt aware letting something soak is an advanced lifehacking technique, looks like im ahead of the curve shitlords

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Antifreeze Head posted:

The thing I like most about the Frutopia being available at McDonalds is that every so often people will probably have some, or maybe give it to their kids, thinking it's probably a more health-conscious choice - has fruit, must be good, right?

The reality is that the Frutopia in the fountain at McDonalds has more calories than the Coke.

I tell that to meat bags that replace sugar in their diet with boat loads of honey.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Lifehack# Some places have Fruitopia

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Coldhax: buy a warm sweater and not insist on wearing tshirt and shorts at home all year around. Side effect of this will make it not look like you're a space hobo using bubble wrap on your windows.

It's served me in every Canadian winter of the last 37 years.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Tired of indoor baseball games breaking all your windows? Cover them in bubblewrap #lifehack

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lamech posted:

I like how the wallet in the linked list is $360. Lifehack: buy a normal wallet* for like $10. It works the same as any other wallet, walla!

*Duct tape wallets are not normal and are stupid

Not laughing at you, just telling you because someone else might: It's actually "voilą "

And dyin' at that link. How about instead of bringing two goddamn bottles you get a job somewhere with plumbing? It reminds me of the tourists you see in any major city who act like traipsing around the financial district requires a mountaineering backpack with 50 pounds of REI poo poo clipped to it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SLOSifl posted:

I made an egg sandwich and added a few crumbled Maple Bacon kettle chips on top and it was pretty good. Not quite as classy as chips and ketchup of course.

Seconding this, a couple of potato chips on an otherwise normal sandwich is good, making a sandwich with nothing but potato chips and condiments - floor, animal, etc.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Aggressive pricing posted:

If that's at me, I'm licensed in HVAC and have forgotten more about insulating houses than most people have ever known. All the bubbles making contact with the window pane act as thermal bridges that heat will escape through. The proper way to do it is a plastic film that goes around the window frame, making absolutely no contact with the window.

You mean I should do that after the layers of tinfoil, newspaper, and pizza dough, right?

Also sometimes the dough rises and touches the panes in places. Is this a problem? :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Meatwave posted:

Would a mod please add "walla!" to the title?

I want this.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Antifreeze Head posted:

The thing I like most is that the orange fruitopia tastes identical to the mcdonalds orange drink they've had forever. No school event was complete without incredibly watered-down mcdonalds orange drink! :thumbsup:

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You mean I should do that after the layers of tinfoil, newspaper, and pizza dough, right?

Yep! All window cooking goes wndow, food, tinfoil, newspaper. Just be sure to put an ice cube tray at the bottom to catch your drippings.

quote:

Also sometimes the dough rises and touches the panes in places. Is this a problem? :ohdear:

Not at all, just throw it on the floor and eat it like a animal.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

twistedmentat posted:

Coldhax: buy a warm sweater and not insist on wearing tshirt and shorts at home all year around. Side effect of this will make it not look like you're a space hobo using bubble wrap on your windows.

It's served me in every Canadian winter of the last 37 years.

Even better: learn to knit, make this, never be cold again (provided you never have to scratch yourself/poop):

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

ninjahedgehog posted:

Even better: learn to knit, make this, never be cold again (provided you never have to scratch yourself/poop):

It's like a Canadian Crysis suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

ninjahedgehog posted:

That looks like a woolen still suit.

EDIT: Goddamnit.