Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Hard to pin on any specific movies, though a few come to mind (Braveheart, Game of Thrones, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings), but I always get a little bugged when there's a medieval siege scene, and the attacking army brings very little in siege equipment. Easier to get over castle walls when you have more than 5 or 6 trebuchets/siege towers.

Kingdom of Heaven did their siege pretty well. Definitely nailed the scale of how many people/siege weapons would be used to take a city like Jerusalem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In Winter Soldier, Captain America has a small drive with vital information on it. He decides the best place to hide it is in full view in a vending machine in a room he knows enemy agents are sure to go into. And that's assuming some random person doesn't see it and try to buy it for a dollar.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

In Winter Soldier, Captain America has a small drive with vital information on it. He decides the best place to hide it is in full view in a vending machine in a room he knows enemy agents are sure to go into. And that's assuming some random person doesn't see it and try to buy it for a dollar.

I was pretty sure this was the reason Black Widow was chewing the gum, to mock Cap's dumb idea. He didn't find it funny though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr_Amazing posted:

I saw it as he had no choice but to do that. He knew he could not carry it with him so he placed it in the nearest place that had some security.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Re: Terminator time travel

By his own account, Kyle Reese doesn't know tech stuff. His explanation of the time travel mechanics is untrustworthy. It may easily be possible to send all kinds of poo poo through the machine, there's no way of knowing. As for why Skynet didn't do that, it's an artificial superhuman intelligence, and trying to figure out the thought processes of superhuman intelligences is a bit outside human capabilities.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

bobkatt013 posted:

I saw it as he had no choice but to do that. He knew he could not carry it with him so he placed it in the nearest place that had some security.

He could have at least put it on top or under the machine. At least it's a little less likely a random nurse will buy it.

Also at the very end the bad guys are rushing to get the doomsday device going and everything is all ready. They get the order to fire, and still have to do a little 3 second count down first.

Dr_Amazing has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Sep 17, 2014

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
He could have put it under his... Cap :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So Lord Of The Rings flew over his head but Zardoz didn't?

Well, it might just be that he didn't want to do it and was trying to be polite. After all, the Matrix script must have looked like just another lovely action movie and, as for Lord of the Rings, would you move halfway around the world and spend years working for a director whose previous magnum opus was Brain Dead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-wD42myVVk&t=158s

Context, a man's zombie mother has sex with a zombie priest while incarcerated in his basement and gives birth to a zombie baby. Naturally the man decides the best thing to do is take the zombie baby to the park.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Dr_Amazing posted:

He could have at least put it on top or under the machine. At least it's a little less likely a random nurse will buy it.

Maybe he tucked it against the shittiest candy that nobody would be willing to waste money on

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Well, it might just be that he didn't want to do it and was trying to be polite. After all, the Matrix script must have looked like just another lovely action movie and, as for Lord of the Rings, would you move halfway around the world and spend years working for a director whose previous magnum opus was Brain Dead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-wD42myVVk&t=158s

Context, a man's zombie mother has sex with a zombie priest while incarcerated in his basement and gives birth to a zombie baby. Naturally the man decides the best thing to do is take the zombie baby to the park.

Trap sprung, etc. but that was the zombie mother's zombie nurse that had the baby.

Dead Alive/Brain Dead is art and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

http://youtu.be/qFhs5LCNTFY

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Also at the very end the bad guys are rushing to get the doomsday device going and everything is all ready. They get the order to fire, and still have to do a little 3 second count down first.

A janitor could have gotten it. He also shoved it behind a bunch of gum, and he went back for it like an hour later. I thought it was first the ships being launched, then the algorithm to load, and finally they could kill everyone.

bobkatt013 has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Sep 17, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wamdoodle posted:

Dead Alive/Brain Dead is art and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

http://youtu.be/qFhs5LCNTFY

No arguments here. But if you were Sean Connery would you have moved ten thousand miles to spend years working for Peter Jackson on a three movie deal?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

bobkatt013 posted:

A janioter could have gotten it. He also shoved it behind a bunch of gum, and he went back for it like an hour later. I thought it was first the ships being launched, then the algorithm to load, and finally they could kill everyone.

First they had to launch the ships, then climb to a certain height, then let the computers target all the people. They knew the good guys were trying to stop them and had already sped up the schedule as much as possible. Then when everything is finally ready to go, the last guy has to go "firing in 3...2.....1.....oh poo poo we lost." He should have been mashing that button like crazy.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Gorilla Salad posted:

No arguments here. But if you were Sean Connery would you have moved ten thousand miles to spend years working for Peter Jackson on a three movie deal?

Have to admit that is a pretty hard sell.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dr_Amazing posted:

First they had to launch the ships, then climb to a certain height, then let the computers target all the people. They knew the good guys were trying to stop them and had already sped up the schedule as much as possible. Then when everything is finally ready to go, the last guy has to go "firing in 3...2.....1.....oh poo poo we lost." He should have been mashing that button like crazy.

Maybe the countdown was to when the computers finished targeting everyone?

edit: haha nope, they actually do say targets locked and then countdown

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

At approximately the time of this posting I was watching the end of School of Rock and commenting about it in GOON guild chat. This is a really strange round-about way to hold a conversation Zomb

That means you and I were watching it at almost the exact same time (Netflix?) but I'm not in GOON. Gos, does this mean I am your secret boyfriend? Don't tell Arus, I don't want to be eaten.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inzombiac posted:

That means you and I were watching it at almost the exact same time (Netflix?) but I'm not in GOON. Gos, does this mean I am your secret boyfriend? Don't tell Arus, I don't want to be eaten.

I think it means the government is tracking us. Did you also consider watching Saving Silverman afterwards and then decide nope too much Jack Black?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

nope too much Jack Black?

Unfortunately you're alone on that one because such a feeling is not possible to have.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think it means the government is tracking us. Did you also consider watching Saving Silverman afterwards and then decide nope too much Jack Black?

No, I ended up watching Step-Brothers for some reason.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Inzombiac posted:

No, I ended up watching Step-Brothers for some reason.

A fleeting moment of unity, lost forever to the comedy stylings of Will Ferrell.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows tonight, and saw something that annoys me in a lot of shows and movies. There's a bit where Watson does modern CPR on Sherlock, but it wasn't invented until around the '60s or '70s. A Victorian doctor would either have done one of a bunch of similar external techniques that looked very different (raising the arms and just doing mouth-to-mouth) or he'd straight up cut the patient's chest open and squeeze the heart directly.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Stottie Kyek posted:

A Victorian doctor would either have done ...

It would have been amazing if Watson blew smoke up Sherlock's rear end, even though that was a bit before the Victorian era.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stottie Kyek posted:

Watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows tonight, and saw something that annoys me in a lot of shows and movies. There's a bit where Watson does modern CPR on Sherlock, but it wasn't invented until around the '60s or '70s. A Victorian doctor would either have done one of a bunch of similar external techniques that looked very different (raising the arms and just doing mouth-to-mouth) or he'd straight up cut the patient's chest open and squeeze the heart directly.

Holy poo poo was that actually a thing doctors used to do?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

RBA Starblade posted:

That's a thing doctors still do.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Buzkashi posted:

Maybe he tucked it against the shittiest candy that nobody would be willing to waste money on

Bit-O-Honey?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So Lord Of The Rings flew over his head but Zardoz didn't?

Connery did Zardoz because it was the first post-Bond film offer he got that wasn't a spy movie. Zardoz has a really good director's commentary; John Boorman realized how ridiculous a lot of the movie is, there's a lot of good stuff about the cinematography, and he tells some good stories about Sean Connery.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

RBA Starblade posted:

It's still used in open heart surgery when poo poo hits the veins, as said. For infants they also have tiny little shock paddles to put directly on the heart :3: - wait that's not cute.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Twitch posted:

Connery did Zardoz because it was the first post-Bond film offer he got that wasn't a spy movie. Zardoz has a really good director's commentary; John Boorman realized how ridiculous a lot of the movie is, there's a lot of good stuff about the cinematography, and he tells some good stories about Sean Connery.

Theres still a lot of good stuff about Zardoz as a whole. Its still a ridiculous and flawed film but its really not a cheesy stupid fest like the trailer makes it out to be.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Bit-O-Honey?

Man, gently caress you.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Spree

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Neco Wafers.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
now and laters?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Abba-Zabbas.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mng posted:

It's still used in open heart surgery when poo poo hits the veins, as said. For infants they also have tiny little shock paddles to put directly on the heart :3: - wait that's not cute.

It's called massaging the heart, I believe. And yes, it still happens today.

Razorwired posted:

Neco Wafers.

Neco Wafers have been around since the civil war, and were in some of the Union Soldier's rations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Neco Wafers have been around since the civil war, and were in some of the Union Soldier's rations.

Believe me, you can tell from the taste.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Liv Tyler's character in The Incredible Hulk is insufferable to me. It feels like she spends the entire movie a broken wreck of a person blubbering and crying about everything.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

10 Beers posted:

Bit-O-Honey?

Them's fightin' words.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Chick-o-sticks

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ignoring the obviously stupid part of After Earth where the aliens can't "see" you if they don't smell your fear it seems a lot of their problems would have been solved with guns. I mean, shape shifting sword staff things are cool and all but they aren't very practical against an alien race that mostly fights hand to hand.

Also, maybe don't make your spaceships out of wood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
One thing that got me was the whole "Everything on this planet evolved to kill humans". Even though humans had abandoned Earth hundreds of years ago, for reasons that had nothing to do with local wildlife. That movie made me not like Will Smith, which is the worst thing I could possibly say about it.