Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Someone alert Chewbot, I've figured out where Carmen Sandiego's been hiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Braking Gnus posted:

The feel-good lp crossover we've been waiting for.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Voting for normal, straight man Zhang.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Braking Gnus posted:

Time's up, gumshoes! None of you figured out that the reason I tried so hard to save the world was so I could steal it.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Time's up, gumshoes! None of you figured out that the reason I tried so hard to save the world was so I could steal it.

Only stealing the world? I would have expected something a bit more ambitious from her.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pretty sure she's already stolen the Milky Way at least once. Once you go that big, there's nowhere to go but down.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Only stealing the world? I would have expected something a bit more ambitious from her.

Well, only a thief of her calibre can manage to hide something this large from the common populace, no?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Didn't she at one point steal a component of light particles?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 14: Interrogation and Autopsy BONANZA!!!

quote:

As part of the strike team I was invited to see the interrogation of the Thin Man (this particular one we’d nicknamed “Skinny”). An old lady strolled into the alien containment center, thin but powerful, wearing sunglasses, a lab coat and a garrison cap. The Commander introduced her as “Dr. Cobra,” one of the last living people who had seen a sectoid from the original 1962 invasion. (Yes, apparently there were sectoids back then, but they were slaves of the Zudjari.)

Dr. Cobra circled around the glass tube with the Thin Man in it. He did his best to look unimpressed by it all, but she got his attention when she pulled a loving surgical chainsaw out from under the table and started going at a nearby Sectoid corpse like a an ice sculptor, many precision cuts all across its body. There was less splatter than you’d think, but enough to make everyone take a step back, including the Thin Man.

Then she pulled out a couple of big knives, a pair of tongs and I swear, a SPATULA and divided up what was left of the sectoid corpse and laid it all out like a teppanyaki chef, pointing out all the bits she had identified.

“I spent the first twenty years of my career cutting up freeze-dried aliens,” she said. “After a while there wasn’t much left to work with, except for a colony of wild silicoids hidden in South America, but I’ve memorized every organ. Looks like you’ve made some new enhancements to the race since then; very efficient little power cells. Think of all the powerful little things we could make with cells like that;”

“Lasers, for example,” said Dr. Vahlen. “We’ve been able to make laser guns for years, but we couldn’t miniaturize the power sources properly. Laser-guidance systems, as well.

“We’ve already learned everything we can from a LIVING sectoid,” said Dr. Cobra to the Thin Man. “Since it didn’t have a mouth, do you want to know how we interrogated it? We inserted probes into its prefrontal cortex!”

“But you can actually speak, so perhaps we won’t need to do that with YOU,” said Dr. Cobra.

Skinny grimaced but zipped his lip. So Dr. Cobra did the teppanyaki thing again with the corpse of another Thin Man. More carefully, this time. That started to really get under his collar.

“You’ve been mutated so far from what you originally were,” said the old doctor. “But I think I have an idea of what your kind must have once looked like. Something serpentine?”

“Am I correct?”

“I wouldn’t know,” said the Thin Man. “My predecessors were whatever they were, but I began as…this.”

“What is the higher power in charge of all these species, mutating and cybernetically enhancing them?” said Dr. Cobra. Silence again, but Vahlen just nodded as if everything was just fine and poked a button on her PDA.

“And I suppose you won’t tell us what, specifically, your kind has been kidnapping humans for, either…” Skinny stared more. “You don’t even know, do you? Is that it, you follow orders without understanding the reasonings behind them?”

“Questioning orders is…unnecessary,” said the Thin Man.

“Where do your superiors originate from?” said the Commander from the viewscreen. Nothing again, but Vahlen’s PDA went beep boop.

“Alright, let’s move on,” said Dr. Cobra. “How about technology? Is there anything you can tell us, say, about the operation of your vehicles?” They started showing the alien a slideshow of the UFO flight computers and their power sources.

Skinny didn’t say anything, but Dr. Vahlen poked at her PDA like everything was all right. She nodded at the older woman, who started to grin cruelly.

“Well, Mr. Thin Man, you have been most uncooperative up until now, but here is where things get interesting,” said Dr. Cobra.

“Your lips may not have moved,” said Dr. Vahlen, “but your brain lit up on our neuroimaging scanners with every question. We now know EXACTLY where to…’probe.’ Thank you.”

The facade broke. “NO! WAIT!” Then the big doors closed over him.

“Aaahhh…like old times…” said the old lady. “Well, it’s your show now, kid. I’ll help you chop up a few more cadavers for old time’s sake, but you don’t need me to drain their brains.”

Brrr.

— Captain Cameron Watkins

This will shave MONTHS of time off our research. The best part of it is, Soldier Watkins, we’ll have so many more genetic enhancements to try out on you and other volunteers!

Not to mention other uses for the alien bodies. Missile jammers from the floater bodies, laser targeting systems from the sectoid corpses, poison grenades from Thin Men, invisible smokescreen from the seekers, a prototype needle grenade or armor add-ons from the chitin of the chrysalid —that’s what we’re calling the bugs— and Dr. Shen says he has a whole host of new ideas based off the equipment from the alien soldier, the “Muton.” And an emergency respirator that should make you immune to Thin Man poison and strangulation.

RESEARCHDOKEN!

Sweet. I loving HATE those seekers, and that bioelectric skin would let me see them?
See them, AND shock them off you if they try to grab you.
I volunteer for THAT.
You?
I have…reasons. You’re the big killer of the team, Cammy, you should get the adrenaline pheromone thing.
I really, REALLY want either the invisible skin or the jumpy legs…maybe both, once we can afford it.
Well, our new paychecks come in soon, so hopefully some of you will get your wishes. Heh…nice to have things go our way for once…

To Be continued

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm too lazy to count, so just out of curiosity: does speedball have enough seeker corpses to make a complete mockery of everything left in the game?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm too lazy to count, so just out of curiosity: does speedball have enough seeker corpses to make a complete mockery of everything left in the game?

You mean the invisibility grenades, or the mimetic skin? The skin doesn't require seeker corpses, just a shitload of money and meld. The grenades are pretty expensive too, though, but I can afford one as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jumpy legs are just the most fun thing ever. FWOOP!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Every time I play, I go for Jumpy Legs on everybody. Being able to get high ground at a moments notice? Being able to create new pathways for your troops and ambush aliens? Being able to make a quick escape if things suddenly go pear-shaped? Yes, yes and yes please.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Mimetic skin. Oh, my, my, mimetic skin.

Mimetic skin is the best enhancement. It's so good, so broken, that the cost to give it to a soldier was sharply increased (practically doubled, I think) a few patches after Enemy Within was initially released. It's so broken that it actually makes a snap shot sniper build not only feasible but really, really good.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The only problem with Memetic Skin is that it doesn't stack with a certain armor upgrade ability later on.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
You captured the only Muton that's shown up so far, how'd you get a corpse?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

What do you think happens to the aliens after they are interrogated?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The 2nd most glorious research credit, in my opinion. Or 1st, because you ought to have plasma toys by the time you capture the other one.

Did Snakemen appear in The Bureau? Nice X-Com reference anyway.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Speedball posted:

You mean the invisibility grenades, or the mimetic skin? The skin doesn't require seeker corpses, just a shitload of money and meld. The grenades are pretty expensive too, though, but I can afford one as well.

The invisibility grenades. They let your entire squad run around in the open taking point blank shots with no repercussions. And you get so many uses of them per mission with grenadier/deep pockets that it's just downright ridiculous. Mimetic skin is also really good, but I've found that I don't use it all that much because it's in competition with the grenades.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thinking that Eva will be our designated grenadier as soon as I can spare the item slots, including utility grenades.

It still hasn't stopped being funny to me that the shy one is in charge of blowing up the most poo poo. Totally didn't plan for her to become a heavy but it works for me.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Omobono posted:

The 2nd most glorious research credit, in my opinion. Or 1st, because you ought to have plasma toys by the time you capture the other one.

Did Snakemen appear in The Bureau? Nice X-Com reference anyway.

Snakemen didn't appear in The Bureau, but there are references to the Thin Men being very reptilian both in bone structure and skin (you can see it around their collars and cuffs if you look close enough).

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

Thinking that Eva will be our designated grenadier as soon as I can spare the item slots, including utility grenades.

It still hasn't stopped being funny to me that the shy one is in charge of blowing up the most poo poo. Totally didn't plan for her to become a heavy but it works for me.

I'm trying think of a better coping mechanism and failing. Explosions are the best therapy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Redeye Flight posted:

Snakemen didn't appear in The Bureau, but there are references to the Thin Men being very reptilian both in bone structure and skin (you can see it around their collars and cuffs if you look close enough).

I believe that Thin Men were always intended to be references to Snakemen from the get-go.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I believe that Thin Men were always intended to be references to Snakemen from the get-go.

While also filling a role that was only implied in the original X-Com: a type of alien that looks like a human. Some of the research lore from Original X-Com says there's such a type of alien but we never see it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

They also have Sid Meier's hair.

gyger
Feb 19, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

The invisibility grenades. They let your entire squad run around in the open taking point blank shots with no repercussions. And you get so many uses of them per mission with grenadier/deep pockets that it's just downright ridiculous. Mimetic skin is also really good, but I've found that I don't use it all that much because it's in competition with the grenades.

This. My usual opening move is to ghost the entire squad.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

scalded schlong posted:

They also have Sid Meier's hair.

Well, of course. They're copying the one human in charge of all of civilization.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The super jump is terrible because it's easily obsoleted by other mobility options and it's mutually exclusive with an incredibly useful gene mod, but it's stupidly fun so I always put it on a bunch of guys anyhow.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Gabriel Pope posted:

The super jump is terrible because it's easily obsoleted by other mobility options and it's mutually exclusive with an incredibly useful gene mod, but it's stupidly fun so I always put it on a bunch of guys anyhow.

I don't know, I think the other leg mod drops off in usefulness really quickly. Like it'd be good very early on when you basically have no armor and it will apply whenever someone takes a hit at all but once you get later in the game it's basically just reduced hospital time because even if you DO end up down into your regular health bar healing back up to the top of it won't stop a Muton+ from killing you. Jumpylegs meanwhile are generally superior (and are at worst equal) to grappling and since you can use them in Titan Armor you're less likely to end up in hospital.

Plus the other leg mod is only good if you're getting shot, whereas jumpylegs are good for getting better shots at aliens and for bypassing terrain to get the gently caress out of their line of sight.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Feinne posted:

I don't know, I think the other leg mod drops off in usefulness really quickly. Like it'd be good very early on when you basically have no armor and it will apply whenever someone takes a hit at all but once you get later in the game it's basically just reduced hospital time because even if you DO end up down into your regular health bar healing back up to the top of it won't stop a Muton+ from killing you. Jumpylegs meanwhile are generally superior (and are at worst equal) to grappling and since you can use them in Titan Armor you're less likely to end up in hospital.

Plus the other leg mod is only good if you're getting shot, whereas jumpylegs are good for getting better shots at aliens and for bypassing terrain to get the gently caress out of their line of sight.

Jumpy legs also don't require a full action to use, making them much more flexible than the mobility based armors as you can jump up, get into cover and shoot/overwatch/hunker in a single turn.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Flesnolk posted:

All interrogations are fatal to the target-you always get a corpse afterward. Note the speech given when the initial interrogation(That gets you the 'We need the Outsider' cutscene) occurs. 'When you have access to a creature's brain' 'In it's final moments we got this image, related to that image.'

Do they have to spell it out any clearer?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 17, 2014

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Well sorry for not knowing they always give you a corpse.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Even if the interrogation isn't fatal, what else would they do with a live alien? Throw it in Gitmo for indefinite detention? Ain't no alien signed the Geneva Conventions, plus most of them have had their ability to make moral decisions surgically or genetically removed.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Lobotomize them and keep them as pets. Also Muton football.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Feinne posted:

You have medkits too you know! The other leg mod lets you get a seriously wounded soldier back into fighting condition with one medkit application instead of 2-3.

I can see jumpylegs being more useful if you're playing boring snipermans but I like to kick in doors and shoot aliens in the face.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Even if the interrogation isn't fatal, what else would they do with a live alien? Throw it in Gitmo for indefinite detention? Ain't no alien signed the Geneva Conventions, plus most of them have had their ability to make moral decisions surgically or genetically removed.

The Bureau has you use captured sectoids as target practice

Also, it keeps captured Zudjai as POWs, until they break free. So Dr. Cobra may have plugged a bullet into their brains after interrogation was finished so they couldn't do it again.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Gabriel Pope posted:

You have medkits too you know! The other leg mod lets you get a seriously wounded soldier back into fighting condition with one medkit application instead of 2-3.

I can see jumpylegs being more useful if you're playing boring snipermans but I like to kick in doors and shoot aliens in the face.

Jumpylegs are ideal for snipers but it's not just for them, they're phenomenal for anyone who would ever want to cut across terrain quickly (which is everyone). Never underestimate the ability to cross any passable terrain as the crow flies (I mean that is after all what the 'best' mobility option lets you do).

My problem is that jumpylegs are a proactive choice whereas the other one is reactive. Jumpylegs give you new options you didn't have before (greatly increased mobility before the upgraded armors and the ability to pair that mobility with the best +health armor later on) whereas the other one makes the poo poo situation of 'aliens aren't just shooting at someone but have in fact shot someone and they are very close to death' a bit better early in the game.

That said I honestly wouldn't give either leg mod to most people, because that is Meld that could be making someone invisible or buying a Tier 3 MEC. Give some snipers jumping and solve the problem of 'oh god people are getting shot' by not letting things be alive when their turn comes along.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's the beauty of this game's balance: so many good options, never enough resources to try them all out at once.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Speedball posted:

That's the beauty of this game's balance: so many good options, never enough resources to try them all out at once.

That's what I love about the way they've rebalanced some of the promotion abilities in EW from EU; in EU some of them were so much better that the "choice" was a no-brainer, but in EW it can be agonising to decide which to pick.

Though I always tend to give all my soldiers the same upgrades, because it's easier than remembering which one has which powers. It's embarrasing when you forget which of your snipers has Disabling Shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

While also filling a role that was only implied in the original X-Com: a type of alien that looks like a human. Some of the research lore from Original X-Com says there's such a type of alien but we never see it.

They were also going to put in the MIB as a opposing faction, sadly they didn't appear in X-Com because of some reason I can't remember, could have been cool though, a anti-X-com enemy that uses the same weapons as you.

• Locked thread