Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

Has he tried Super Mario World? That was my first game ever and I stand by it.

He's played every side scrolling mario game and is absolutely fascinated by rom hacks and SMBX play throughs on youtube. Mario world and mario 3 are his favorites. Just the other day he ran downstairs in the middle of the night GBA in hand incredibly proud and excited telling us about how he beat bowser in SMW which he had been stuck on for a while. We watched the end together then sent him back up to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Are you sure? I thought the game had you position the remote and you'd press down on the d-pad to center it, which at no point it needed the sensor bar to do anything.

I'm not sure, but I've been playing it on Dolphin and I couldn't get it centered without a sensor bar, and I remember having that problem with it when I played it on my Wii as well.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

Allowing me to use the gamepad as a screen for original Wii games is goddamn brilliant. It sounds pointless, but man - I'm really getting into New Super Mario Wii.

Oh poo poo, can you? i missed out on a lot of Wii games but I enjoy the convenience of a gamepad too much. Do I ever need any controller other than a gamepad to just put a Wii disc in the WiiU, launch it, and play the game on the gamepad?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

You need a controller too, the gamepad wont work. Still neat though, i was playing fire emblem in bed for a while when we first got the wiiu.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kaubocks posted:

Oh poo poo, can you? i missed out on a lot of Wii games but I enjoy the convenience of a gamepad too much. Do I ever need any controller other than a gamepad to just put a Wii disc in the WiiU, launch it, and play the game on the gamepad?

You can't use the gamepad to play Wii games, unfortunately, so you'll need the respective controller for whatever game you're playing. When you launch the game into Wii mode, you need a Wii remote and sensor bar to initially set things up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

A Wiimote of some kind is needed to actually do anything in Wii mode. Gamepad controls won't do anything and trying to use them will just make a message pop up telling you that you can't use gamepad controls. Here's an example:

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 17, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
On the plus side, you can do something like this:

Being pinned down by a newborn is a good excuse to sit and play games.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ChaosArgate posted:

A Wiimote of some kind is needed to actually do anything in Wii mode. Gamepad controls won't do anything and trying to use them will just make a message pop up telling you that you can't use gamepad controls. Here's an example:

Nice screenshot of a Gamecube ISO lol

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ChaosArgate posted:

AAAAAGGGGH MY TABLES

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

AAAAAGGGGH MY TABLES

Oh poo poo I forgot iPhone pictures are ginormous! My bad!

Katana Gomai posted:

Nice screenshot of a Gamecube ISO lol

I'm running that through Devolution which requires a legal copy of the game to even boot.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Welp, nevermind then.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm running that through Devolution which requires a legal copy of the game to even boot.

Huh, you learn something new every day. A Wii U bootloader which still requires you to own a Wii to even use it is super pointless though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Louisgod posted:

On the plus side, you can do something like this:

Being pinned down by a newborn is a good excuse to sit and play games.

That baby is gonna drink that bleach.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Really when you get down to it, the TV is just a really big gamepad screen but without the buttons and joysticks. Makes you think..

Lemming posted:

That baby is gonna drink that bleach.

If a 1 month old can manage to climb their way down and open the vitamin cap on the bleach then she's earned it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Really when you get down to it, the TV is just a really big gamepad screen but without the buttons and joysticks. Makes you think..

If a 1 month old can manage to climb their way down and open the vitamin cap on the bleach then she's earned it.

It's possible you're underestimating how much babies love bleach.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Katana Gomai posted:

Huh, you learn something new every day. A Wii U bootloader which still requires you to own a Wii to even use it is super pointless though.
Wait, it does? Because that doesn't follow at all from what he said (which of course doesn't mean it isn't true, which I've no clue if it is). From what he said I had just assumed it was a fan-made patch/hack that allowed the Wii U to run original Gamecube disks when in Wii mode (you know, like the original Wii did). Though I've no clue where the Gamecube controller inputs would be coming from in that scenario :v:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

Wait, it does? Because that doesn't follow at all from what he said (which of course doesn't mean it isn't true, which I've no clue if it is). From what he said I had just assumed it was a fan-made patch/hack that allowed the Wii U to run original Gamecube disks when in Wii mode (you know, like the original Wii did). Though I've no clue where the Gamecube controller inputs would be coming from in that scenario :v:

No I googled it and apparently in order to run a (ideally self-dumped) Gamecube ISO, you need to start the legit game on a Wii, connect a Wiimote, which receives a signal "key" from the same guy's Wii hack and that, in turn, allows the Wii U loader to run the ISO. If you don't "unlock" it via that Wiimote, it will refuse to run. I applaud the effort, but that scheme is beyond retarded, especially for a console which saw its final games released almost ten years ago.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah the copy protection on that is really dumb but the compatibility is way better than the bootloader that doesn't have any anti-piracy and it also lets me use a PS3 or Wii U Pro Controller over bluetooth instead of only letting me use a PS3 controller over a wired connection.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Louisgod posted:

I'm not buying another widescreen TV unless it has buttons and joysticks lumped on the sides.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Shelf Adventure posted:

I'm not buying another widescreen TV unless it has buttons and joysticks lumped on the sides.

We've got a TV at work that has a buttons-and-joystick control for its menu system. It's loving awful.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kly posted:

He's played every side scrolling mario game and is absolutely fascinated by rom hacks and SMBX play throughs on youtube. Mario world and mario 3 are his favorites. Just the other day he ran downstairs in the middle of the night GBA in hand incredibly proud and excited telling us about how he beat bowser in SMW which he had been stuck on for a while. We watched the end together then sent him back up to bed.

Your kid sounds adorable. :D I'm glad he appreciates the classics. There's one kid who won't give you a blank stare if you mention anything released before Halo.

Just wait 'till he gets into Pokemon though. You will never know peace!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Every 8-11 year old child should play Earthbound. If they don't like it, it means that you need to start over with a fresh one since the one you have is defective.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Turns out I was able to get coins from my Wii U refurbished, which means Kirby Super Star is mine (after I registered WWHD).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Lemming posted:

Every 8-11 year old child should play Earthbound. If they don't like it, it means that you need to start over with a fresh one since the one you have is defective.

Kids comes with a 10 year, no questions asked, warranty.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

Being a child of the 90s who only just finished Earthbound for the first time this week, I really have to agree.

I wish I'd played it when I was 10. :sigh:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Being a child of the 90s who only just finished Earthbound for the first time this week, I really have to agree.

I wish I'd played it when I was 10. :sigh:

While you do miss out on playing the game when you still have a sense of magic and wonder in your heart, at least you won't have to play it again trying to chase that experience only to feel nothing but the barest impression of what you've lost.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lemming posted:

Conversely, don't, or at least don't let them play the end sequence, because that poo poo gave me nightmares for years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair, Earthbound is a very 90s game. A modern kid might not get the same sort of feel from it.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I've tried getting my kid into Zelda:LTTP because the original NES Zelda is a game that completely captured my imagination when I was a kid but I think he's too young for it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Kly posted:

I've tried getting my kid into Zelda:LTTP because the original NES Zelda is a game that completely captured my imagination when I was a kid but I think he's too young for it.

I actually think the NES title is better than LTTP for children. It's insanely difficult and they don't give you any direction, but it is genuinely fun exploring the world completely freely and discovering stuff 100% by your own volition. I still remember being 7 years old or whatever and discovering the final temple early on by bombing a weird looking rock. I think that kind of freedom is good for kids and they latch onto it. That probably part of the reason Minecraft is so popular among kids, it just drops you in a world and immediately lets you do whatever without forcing you to listen to a story or dialogue or do objectives in a certain order.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Kly posted:

The NES Zelda is a very different kind of game. It was basically designed with the assumption that people would be exploring independently and trading hints on the playground. The game by itself provides absolutely no direction on where to go or what to do, so it would probably be very frustrating to him without a guide of some type. Starting with LTTP is definitely the right call.

Edit: ^ That's very true, but LoZ doesn't really have any of the sandbox elements that make minecraft popular and the "exploration" mostly consists of bombing/burning every single tile until you find a door.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Polo-Rican posted:

I actually think the NES title is better than LTTP for children. It's insanely difficult and they don't give you any direction, but it is genuinely fun exploring the world completely freely and discovering stuff 100% by your own volition. I still remember being 7 years old or whatever and discovering the final temple early on by bombing a weird looking rock. I think that kind of freedom is good for kids and they latch onto it. That probably part of the reason Minecraft is so popular among kids, it just drops you in a world and immediately lets you do whatever without forcing you to listen to a story or dialogue or do objectives in a certain order.

I think it's a pretty cool game when you have crazy amounts of time and no expectations of what a game like that should play like. I will say, though, that Link to the Past also had me lost and confused when I was a small child despite being pretty guided.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Nickoten posted:

I think it's a pretty cool game when you have crazy amounts of time and no expectations of what a game like that should play like. I will say, though, that Link to the Past also had me lost and confused when I was a small child despite being pretty guided.

Me too, but I never gave up! The satisfaction of figuring stuff out in that game was fantastic.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kly posted:

Tell him to attack the chickens. Make sure you have your camera ready for when he turns to you so you can capture the deep sense of betrayal in his eyes.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I let my baby cousins play Metal Gear Rising REVENGEANCE, but that's outside of the scope of this thread.

But I really should get around to actually playing and finishing Earthbound.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

While you do miss out on playing the game when you still have a sense of magic and wonder in your heart, at least you won't have to play it again trying to chase that experience only to feel nothing but the barest impression of what you've lost.

Hmm, that's a good point... but playing Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG still give me those nice warm fuzzy feelings. Maybe it depends on the game.

Level Slide posted:

But I really should get around to actually playing and finishing Earthbound.

You really should! It's such a charming game. I say this as someone who had zero childhood attachment to it.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Zonekeeper posted:

the "exploration" mostly consists of bombing/burning every single tile until you find a door.

It's a tall order, but damned if 11 year old me didn't go for 100% completion.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I don't get it, why would anyone buy an Amiibo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

The same reason they buy Disney Infinity or Skylanders? They are 8-12 year old children who like having toys that interact with their video games. (Or adults with a lot of nostalgia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PoshAlligator posted:

For me personally it's going to be a lack of shame and self-awareness.

• Locked thread