Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It was giant bombcast recently where one of the guys went on and on about how he thought horror games were silly and for children and anybody who liked them is an idiot, right? Because gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Podcasts talk about things that do not interest me I could do them better they are full of manchildren I would not be a manchild if I did a podcast because my interests and digressions are cool.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

Podcasts talk about things that do not interest me I could do them better they are full of manchildren I would not be a manchild if I did a podcast because my interests and digressions are cool.
Awww, it's "you couldn't do better so shut up"! I haven't seen that one in weeks!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I enjoy the catharsis of it all. 18 months of constant previews and betas and first looks and then it comes out and it's met with mehs all around. It's the AAA cycle, which title will be the next to meh us all into boredom?

Assassin's Creed Unity.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The thing that kind of bothers me is whenever they bring up Diablo 3, most notably the loot aspect of it, they say how much better it is compared to Destiny. I haven't played Destiny except in beta form and I can already tell you that the loot in Destiny is far superior to those in Diablo 3 at launch. It was so heinous and crappy when the game came out because the drops were designed around the auction house. So you'd find a bunch of crap you couldn't use, sell it on the auction house, use that gold to buy it on the auction house then continue adventuring. It wasn't even part of the core game. You had to go outside the game in order to get the things you needed and I think most of the enthusiasts talking about Destiny forgot that aspect of Diablo 3. It was terrible and suffered the same kind of "great gameplay in service of nothing" apt point Jeff brought up in the Bombcast. Diablo 3 lost its predecessor's atmosphere, unobtrusive story and characters so all it had going for it was its gameplay and loot - the latter which was really lacking. It took 2 years but Diablo 3 got really fun with the expansion and even more so with 2.0, which is great. But Destiny is a platform for content and it seems to be a sound platform but now they really need to populate it with worthwhile content.

It's a shame they had to charge 60 dollars for that platform. But at the very least it seems like the kind of thing you'd get when a Game of the Year Edition comes out with all the currently released DLC already on the disc.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

EC posted:

Boy, if you are tired of the same old Destiny conversation that's been happening since the beta, you might as well skip the first hour of this weeks Bombcast.

Incorrect. The first couple minutes of the episode are Dan relating the fact that his dad only drinks Monster energy drinks all day and then picks up $20 of Taco Bell on the way home, which is his only meal.

If anybody here is still interested in conspiracy theories about game journalists you may be interested in my theory that there is no way Dan Ryckert is a real person.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I think its fair to compare the current iteration of a game to the current version of another game, even if one of them is brand new and the other has been revamped heavily. Diablo got (rightfully) poo poo on at launch, but by all accounts its been greatly improved with the new loot system.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jimbot posted:

The thing that kind of bothers me is whenever they bring up Diablo 3, most notably the loot aspect of it, they say how much better it is compared to Destiny. I haven't played Destiny except in beta form and I can already tell you that the loot in Destiny is far superior to those in Diablo 3 at launch.

The thing that bothers you is that when people compare Destiny to Diablo they don't arbitrarily decide to compare it to the older, inferior version of Diablo that's been patched to hell and back since launch? What?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

VDay posted:

The thing that bothers you is that when people compare Destiny to Diablo they don't arbitrarily decide to compare it to the older, inferior version of Diablo that's been patched to hell and back since launch? What?

Yes? You can compare releases with releases too. I just think it's false equivalency. You're comparing a game that's been out two years, received all that feedback by players and the designers tweaking it based off of feedback then you have a game that's barely been out a week that's been tweaked through focus testing. You don't see a difference at all? What?

The point is comparing launches tempers your criticisms - especially in games like those two that evolve over time. They not once mentioned Diablo 3's launch in their comparison so it leads me to believe that they forgot how dire the game was when it launched and believe it was in the same state as it is now.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Song For The Deaf posted:

This is a great week for hearing people be indifferent about a game they feel obligated to talk about.

It's especially frustrating when it's one of the very few AAA games you've bought into and are actually enjoying quite a bit. After that much hype and marketing it was easy to see the backlash coming but still.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

The point is why would I play Destiny when I can play Diablo 3. There is no point comparing launch states of games if they launch 2-3 years apart.

The same thing happens when a new mmo comes out and people compare it to WoW launch saying it's so much better. Yeah they're probably right but it doesn't matter as the game it's competing with is WoW as it is now, not at launch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Idk, I didn't play D3 much past launch. Also, I hate AAA titles. I keep wanting to get back into it and buy the expansion, but then I remember how dumb the story was and how the mechanics weren't anything to write home about.

I'm just trying to bide time until Fantasy Life comes out. :(

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bumfluff posted:

The point is why would I play Destiny when I can play Diablo 3. There is no point comparing launch states of games if they launch 2-3 years apart.

The same thing happens when a new mmo comes out and people compare it to WoW launch saying it's so much better. Yeah they're probably right but it doesn't matter as the game it's competing with is WoW as it is now, not at launch.

Yes, but games also take time to develop and there's a plan that needs to be followed. Getting a solid foundation down is more important than to try to shoe-horn in what your competitor is doing into your game when it's not yet complete. MMOs and games like Destiny and Diablo (at least with 3) are platforms in which the developer uses to deliver new content to you. It's important to remember where it came from, where it is and where it is going. Knowing or being informed of each one can help determine if it's worth playing now or not.

I'm not saying it's an invalid criticism, I'm just saying it's unrealistic to think a game that launch should stack up to a game that has been out for years. Especially when the base game itself is more of a platform than anything. That's what bothered me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jimbot posted:

I'm not saying it's an invalid criticism, I'm just saying it's unrealistic to think a game that launch should stack up to a game that has been out for years. Especially when the base game itself is more of a platform than anything. That's what bothered me.

Except they were specifically talking about the loot system, not the overall amount/quality of content of Diablo 3 compared to Destiny, so I'm not sure where you're even coming from with these ideas about how it's unfair to compare the two. They just said playing Destiny makes them want to play Diablo, and Brad even said he feels the exact opposite. What would them putting out a disclaimer and saying that Diablo 3 was bad at launch accomplish, exactly?

Also I'm sorry, but saying that it's unfair that a game with a budget in the hundreds of millions of dollars shouldn't be compared to other games in its genre that have been out for a few years because it's actually a Content Delivery Platform™ and it's totally gonna get way better down the line is kind of ridiculous and excusing the game's flaws with the assumptions that it'll all just be fixed at some point. The game's not some free/cheap download that you can buy DLC for later to add content. It's a massive, widely marketed AAA release that costs $60 and has a story campaign.

No one is saying that Destiny will never be good, and there seem to be plenty of people having a lot of fun with it. Everyone understands that Bungie's going to keep pumping content into the game and working on it for years, but it's not like they're going to be giving all the new content away for free and therefore deserve to have criticism of the release product tempered and adjusted with that in mind.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Song For The Deaf posted:

This is a great week for hearing people be indifferent about a game they feel obligated to talk about.
Honestly if GB, a fairly big gaming website, didn't discuss Destiny further than "it's okay" it'd probably result in them getting a deluge of "PLEASE ELABORATE" emails and messages since Destiny is such a big name title. They don't need to discuss it quite at the length they did, but it seems like half the crew likes it a lot but is torn because there is so much wasted potential. I doubt(hope) we'll hear much about it from here on out after that, I fast-forwarded through most of the Destiny talk.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I enjoy the catharsis of it all. 18 months of constant previews and betas and first looks and then it comes out and it's met with mehs all around. It's the AAA cycle, which title will be the next to meh us all into boredom?
It's cathartic but also saddening because I like Bungie games and it feels like this was shoved out the door by Activision with only half of it fully completed. The art design and core gameplay finished, but absolutely everything else not so.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

VDay posted:

Except they were specifically talking about the loot system, not the overall amount/quality of content of Diablo 3 compared to Destiny, so I'm not sure where you're even coming from with these ideas about how it's unfair to compare the two. They just said playing Destiny makes them want to play Diablo, and Brad even said he feels the exact opposite. What would them putting out a disclaimer and saying that Diablo 3 was bad at launch accomplish, exactly?

Also I'm sorry, but saying that it's unfair that a game with a budget in the hundreds of millions of dollars shouldn't be compared to other games in its genre that have been out for a few years because it's actually a Content Delivery Platform™ and it's totally gonna get way better down the line is kind of ridiculous and excusing the game's flaws with the assumptions that it'll all just be fixed at some point. The game's not some free/cheap download that you can buy DLC for later to add content. It's a massive, widely marketed AAA release that costs $60 and has a story campaign.

No one is saying that Destiny will never be good, and there seem to be plenty of people having a lot of fun with it. Everyone understands that Bungie's going to keep pumping content into the game and working on it for years, but it's not like they're going to be giving all the new content away for free and therefore deserve to have criticism of the release product tempered and adjusted with that in mind.

I have no idea what you are talking about. It's like you glanced through my posts, saw some points then made up the rest. Unrealistic is what I called it but not "invalid" or "unfair". Their criticisms are valid and fair but their loot expectations of Destiny in comparison to Diablo 3 in its current state are unrealistic. But since it's a platform for Bungie to deliver content to its users, I think it's fair to say that the game will only get better and things will change. So discounting or writing the game off at this point is just premature. I wrote Diablo 3 off after I beat it once around launch now I play it almost daily because of all the changes the expansion and 2.0 brought.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Regarding Destiny, I don't have a PS4 but from what I'm hearing I'll be surprised if it lasts long enough, especially given a lot of factors, one of which is Bungie wants to jump into the super long development cycle and work on Destiny for the next few years, which I don't believe they have a pedigree for. I would be more confident if even like the devs behind Tera or RIFT or Guild Wars were behind Destiny at this point. It might change, but I'm not hopeful at this very moment.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jimbot posted:

So discounting or writing the game off at this point is just premature.

I don't think any of them are? They're talking about the game that they are playing right now. If the loot system improves, there will be a 'I went back to Destiny after that patch came out and it's pretty good now!' section of the Bombcast. They even mention things like it not meeting its potential and feeling like it lacks something, which is all perfectly fair criticism that can be fixed moving forward. There's not much point in talking about how good a game might be in a couple years, because we have no way of knowing if that will ever happen. It's the same thing as them looking at an early access game -- don't you think it would be odd if they talked about features that weren't in there yet?

They may not be reviewers these days exactly, but that's the background a lot of them come from. When you're reviewing a game it's unfair to the consumer to talk about how things might be fixed in a little while -- there is a product that does not do some things as well as other products on the market. You may consider that an unrealistic expectation to have, but that doesn't make it less true.

Jimbot posted:

I wrote Diablo 3 off after I beat it once around launch now I play it almost daily because of all the changes the expansion and 2.0 brought.

Not to be mean, but this just shows that you're being hypocritical -- why should they react any differently to Destiny at launch than you (or they) reacted to Diablo at launch? At the time they could and likely did compare the loot system to those in games like Torchlight 2, which was a similar product available at the time.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 17, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The perception I got was that Destiny was just kind of "meh" since it was first announced. It's been shown at the past two or three E3's and the reception has basically been "looks like Borderlands and Halo." Even Giant Bomb has voiced their concerns since the alpha.

Sober posted:

Regarding Destiny, I don't have a PS4 but from what I'm hearing I'll be surprised if it lasts long enough, especially given a lot of factors, one of which is Bungie wants to jump into the super long development cycle and work on Destiny for the next few years, which I don't believe they have a pedigree for. I would be more confident if even like the devs behind Tera or RIFT or Guild Wars were behind Destiny at this point. It might change, but I'm not hopeful at this very moment.

I think this is largely Activision's doing, they're trying to capture their partner's magic in a bottle. But the console market doesn't exist in the same space as PC. Console games are very susceptible to time and I just don't see how Destiny's base game can possibly hold people for 2-3 years.

I will say I'm surprised that Final Fantasy 11 is still going on consoles and the last PS2 game was an FF11 expansion. But Destiny isn't a fully fledged MMO, it's not going to have the same shelf life.

PantsBandit posted:

It was giant bombcast recently where one of the guys went on and on about how he thought horror games were silly and for children and anybody who liked them is an idiot, right? Because gently caress that guy.

That is Jeff Gerstmann. He thinks anything and everything is specifically "bullshit" except for wrestling which is God's gift to humanity. This segues into...

SlyFrog posted:

There's talking about things I'm not interested in, and then there's the disparaging commentator who does nothing but interrupt people's conversation to poo poo on them whenever they're talking. That's Jeff Gerstmann. He has to get the last word in on every conversation and it's maddening.

"Hey guys, what are you playing this week?"
"I'm playing Metal Gear Solid it's pretty fun--"
"THAT GAME'S BULLSHIT UTTER ANIME BULLSHIT HORROR GAMES ARE BULLSHIT YOU ARE A CHILD IF YOU'RE SCARED BY MEDIA did you check out CM Punk last night I love how his tats appear to move when he flexes..."

Gary Butterfield is lukewarm to Sonic the Hedgehog but he doesn't interrupt Kole when he brings it up.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 17, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Milkman posted:

It's especially frustrating when it's one of the very few AAA games you've bought into and are actually enjoying quite a bit. After that much hype and marketing it was easy to see the backlash coming but still.

It's actually a refreshing reminder that game reviewers aren't so swayed by marketing and hype and aaa polish that a mediocre game can get mediocre reviews.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Not to be mean, but this just shows that you're being hypocritical -- why should they react any differently to Destiny at launch than you (or they) reacted to Diablo at launch? At the time they could and likely did compare the loot system to those in games like Torchlight 2, which was a similar product available at the time.

That was mainly a reaction to Jeff's comments on the game. That said, I don't think they're the same. The biggest difference is Bungie very transparent with its planned out expansions and events. Blizzard, on the other hand, were all about the auction house and the biggest thing they had planned at that point was getting the real money auction house up and running. So more DLC and expansions to add to the game or same broken loot tables in favor of selling them for real money; which sounds more appealing to you? Both used that "game doesn't really start until you beat the campaign!" nonsense too, so they both have demerits there.

Torchlight 2 came out after Diablo 3, I can't remember their conversations about the two.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 17, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

al-azad posted:

Gary Butterfield is lukewarm to Sonic the Hedgehog but he doe
SONIC IS BULLSHIT.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://twitter.com/vanaman/status/512373504902041600

Anita Sarkeesian on Thumbcast

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Agreed. The game implores you to go fast but going fast leads to unavoidable spikes, enemies, and pitfalls. Sonic is blue trash shat out by a bad subsidiary and forced down the throats of Americans with millions of dollars of marketing. The series then became a favorite of weird furries.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

We got Anita on the ep AND a new crazy Steam Economy email from Invictus* so its pretty good.

* he (you) sent the email a while ago and we didn't notice it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jimbot posted:

That said, I don't think they're the same. The biggest difference is Bungie very transparent with its planned out expansions and events. Blizzard, on the other hand, were all about the auction house and the biggest thing they had planned at that point was getting the real money auction house up and running.

I'm just of the opinion that what companies say will be coming in the future has no bearing on the current game experience, which is the important thing. In this age of constant patching and early access, ongoing support is an incredibly important part of most any game but there's absolutely no way to know that something will be a good example of it or a bad one without the game itself having time to mature. Basically you're arguing that we should have faith that Bungie will fix it but I don't see why that matters -- if they fix it, we can just buy the game once they do. I'm actually sort of glad it's not on PC yet because once it is it'll be basically Destiny 2.0.

As a sidenote, I find myself avoiding a lot of games at launch these days for this very reason. So many of them are improved by a patch or two that even if it's something I'm really excited about I tend to wait a while. Delayed gratification works. Like, I backed Divinity on Kickstarter and still haven't really played it -- which might turn out to be good, because they just released two extra companions that seem to be engineered specifically to deal with some of the problems that reviewers had about party constraints.

quote:

Torchlight 2 came out after Diablo 3, I can't remember their conversations about the two.

You're right, I was mis-remembering. May vs. September. I definitely do remember conversations (not necessarily on GB, just in general) when Torchlight came out about how a little indie dev had managed to out-Diablo Diablo but I guess I had the timing mixed up.

E:

quote:

We got Anita on the ep

I hope you guys are ready for the bomb threats. :smith:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 18, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is it the one about Dota 2 Keys being removed from the game? Gonna listen to the podcast at work tonight!

There was an extra bit to the dota 2 key thing, in that the list of chests, in true Valve fashion, was bugged and included a China-exclusive promo chest on the list. So you could turn your keys into, at the time, a 3-dollar exclusive promo. Friend of mine told me to give him 100 keys to turn into them, and he only was able to convert 20 before they hotfixed it.

In a matter of minutes, they went from 3 dollars to 65 dollars. They're now considerably more.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wow, they went from being sad they weren't on the conspiracy chart to finding the fastest and most direct way to get added.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Oh man, gently caress the 8-4 Play TGS Hype Shinkansen. :swoon:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

What the gently caress the replies to that tweet do not contain any incendiary bile from the stupid parts of the internet.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

ja2ke posted:

We got Anita on the ep AND a new crazy Steam Economy email from Invictus* so its pretty good.

* he (you) sent the email a while ago and we didn't notice it.

Oh man. I loving love the crazy loving world of hat economy. Of all the things to accidentally come out of Steam, I find it the most fascinating.

Anita probably will be great too, but man, Russian murder hats. Alternative currency headphones. If I was Gabe I would hire a team of economist to just come up with ways that I could create wacky economy hijinks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Speaking of crazy hat bullshit, valve just, about an hour ago, pushed an update to tf2 that made EVERYTHING marketable. Bills hats, max heads, earbuds, soldier medals, everything. Sheeeeeit.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow captain invictus Chris actually read what you said about Danielle, that Polygon is squandering her. :laffo:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

moller posted:

Agreed. The game implores you to go fast but going fast leads to unavoidable spikes, enemies, and pitfalls. Sonic is blue trash shat out by a bad subsidiary and forced down the throats of Americans with millions of dollars of marketing. The series then became a favorite of weird furries.

Sonic is about navigation and expert platforming and gently caress Sega for advertising it as 90s XTREME 'tude. I always tell people the difference between Mario and Sonic is that when Sonic gets hit he stops while Mario maintains momentum.

I am a Sonic 1-3/Knuckles apologist and Knuckles Chaotix was the best evolution of the series that never took off because the 32X tanked.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 18, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wow captain invictus Chris actually read what you said about Danielle, that Polygon is squandering her. :laffo:

yessssssssss

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

moller posted:

[Video Game] requires you to get to the end, but contains obstacles and challenges which complicate that goal. WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
He's right though, in that Sonic managed to encapsulate the worst of wrote-memorization games combined with quarter-eating arcade games, all while tied together inside of a "hey look at this tech, it's awfully fast ain't it!?" package.

Sonic is roughly the equivalent to putting a puppy in a cage with an electrified floor that goes off with little to no warning - after a while, the sane participant gives up and just lies down because it's not actually possible to time the jumps after the warning occurs, to avoid the shock. The only way to avoid this learned helplessness is to repeat one's exposure to the stimuli while hoping that it will never change (and being a lovely game, it never does change.)

Of course if I was a kid given a Sega console in that era I'd probably be a rabid supporter who'd memorized every blind leap in the game however, it still wouldn't mean it was a well-designed game.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 18, 2014

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Farscape loving owns.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Farscape loving owns.
I just finished watching it all in earnest for the first time and it was pretty much awesome. Danielle and Anita were right though, there are parts in the first season where it was kinda rough. I mean, if you sit down and think about the earlier episodes some of them had some merit but there were a few straight up stinkers until about halfway through. I believe it's because they shot them first and not the pilot or something, or at least completely out of order (they were also aired out of order). Season 2 was good minus a few bumps, season 3 is the best, season 4 starts flat but gets good is basically how it goes.

edit: it's also the fact it came out in 1999 but when you watch the progression it being almost like "adventure of the week" show into how serial it gets later on, and this is before LOST takes off (the show ends its run in 03 or 04, so a year before) and before DVD box sets were a thing (it was a nightmare before full season sets, really, look up the starburst editions of Farscape), it was really impressive.

Also the puppets aged well, IMO, the little CGI they used differed but generally weren't awful either. But yeah, it's an old show but really strong. Not formative like Twin Peaks or The Wire or whatever but probably highest-tier sci-fi.

Sober fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

coyo7e posted:

He's right though, in that Sonic managed to encapsulate the worst of wrote-memorization games combined with quarter-eating arcade games, all while tied together inside of a "hey look at this tech, it's awfully fast ain't it!?" package.

Sonic is roughly the equivalent to putting a puppy in a cage with an electrified floor that goes off with little to no warning - after a while, the sane participant gives up and just lies down because it's not actually possible to time the jumps after the warning occurs, to avoid the shock. The only way to avoid this learned helplessness is to repeat one's exposure to the stimuli while hoping that it will never change (and being a lovely game, it never does change.)

Of course if I was a kid given a Sega console in that era I'd probably be a rabid supporter who'd memorized every blind leap in the game however, it still wouldn't mean it was a well-designed game.
None of the obstacles in the Genesis Sonic games are particularly hard to avoid on reaction even if you're playing a stage for the first time, so hey, here's hoping that you eventually overcome whatever crippling mental block you have that prevents you from playing mildly difficult platformers.

• Locked thread