Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I think LSU would do quite well against Baylor and Oregon, considering their performance against A&M the last two years. Oklahoma and Stanford would be good matchups though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Only that very last part and it was more making fun of thoguh than being mad about Iowa. At some point getting mad about them losing to someone they shouldn't is like getting mad at the grass for being green. Birds gonna fly, fish gonna swim, Kirk gonna lose to Iowa State and Northwestern. Happens in years we're bad. Happens in years we're good. Just gonna keep happening.

I am just giving you a hard time. :glomp:

--

Unrelated:

@KirkHerbstreit 7m
“@LambentLucky: @Jay_Gerlach_WCU OU wins by four TD's. Don't pump up WV cause they played an overrated Bama close.” Ever been to Morgantown?

Kirk-Sama :3:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

I need some help.

We have not beaten LSU in 15 years and we are playing them in Death Valley on a Saturday night.

However, this is easily our best team since our SEC West championship team (possibly better) and our strengths are perfect for their weaknesses, and LSU hasn't looked great this season and lost a ton to the NFL. Also, while we have looked good in our tune up games, the stats are incredibly deceptive because we have been platooning on both sides of the ball early and often, so we are likely a lot better than what those show and we are VERY deep.

Now, several talking heads are picking us for an upset and a few have said that they think that Dak Prescott gets his Heisman moment too.

Can a few of you tell me I am crazy for thinking we have a decent chance? I never let myself get excited for this game, and that level of heartbreak will put a major, alcohol shaped hole in my wallet if I get my hopes up.
I don't know. LSU tends to save our bedshitting games for Ole Miss and Arkansas, and our defense is already looking much better than last years. For this game you'll probably want to pull ahead early since our offense has trouble clicking until the second half. If it's a one score game though in the mid third quarter, I think LSU will probably come away with the win. You are playing us early on in the year which is good for y'all because our team is so young.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I'm getting seriously concerned for Marcus Mariota. Drake fandom AND an upcoming SI cover story? That's some bad juju.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

LGD posted:

I'm getting seriously concerned for Marcus Mariota. Drake fandom AND an upcoming SI cover story? That's some bad juju.

it's almost like Oregon has been here before,

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Pinbacker posted:

I think LSU would do quite well against Baylor and Oregon, considering their performance against A&M the last two years. Oklahoma and Stanford would be good matchups though.

It's always interesting to see people dismiss Baylor and Oregon, but give credence to teams like OU and Stanford. Is it because the offensive style?

Baylor is 2-1 against OU in the past three years, beating OU in 2011 (45-38) and 2013 (41-12), and losing to OU in Norman (34-42) in 2012.
Oregon is 1-2 against Stanford, beating Stanford in 2011 (53-30) and losing in 2012 (12-17) and 2013 (26-20).

I'm not making an argument about how LSU would fare in the Big XII or Pac12, because it's not an argument that can be won, just curious what drives comments like the one above.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dr. Pangloss posted:

It's always interesting to see people dismiss Baylor and Oregon, but give credence to teams like OU and Stanford. Is it because the offensive style?

Baylor is 2-1 against OU in the past three years, beating OU in 2011 (45-38) and 2013 (41-12), and losing to OU in Norman (34-42) in 2012.
Oregon is 1-2 against Stanford, beating Stanford in 2011 (53-30) and losing in 2012 (12-17) and 2013 (26-20).

I'm not making an argument about how LSU would fare in the Big XII or Pac12, because it's not an argument that can be won, just curious what drives comments like the one above.

Probably games like this. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312460099 Also, I think LSU generally looks more impressive than Stanford.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 17, 2014

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

And what about games like this: http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=292480201?

It also doesn't address why teams like OU and Stanford would be considered "good matchups" when that same Oregon team beat Stanford by 23 points later on in the year.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Lol the word suspension is being thrown around in the jimbo fisher press conference wrt Jameis.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dr. Pangloss posted:

And what about games like this: http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=292480201?

It also doesn't address why teams like OU and Stanford would be considered "good matchups" when that same Oregon team beat Stanford by 23 points later on in the year.

You're also forgetting Stanford had at least one big injury the year Oregon won. In the games you mentioned Oregon loses more than they win, that's why Stanford is a good matchup.

BYU was also good that year and only lost two games.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spacebump posted:

You're also forgetting Stanford had at least one big injury the year Oregon won. In the games you mentioned Oregon loses more than they win, that's why Stanford is a good matchup.

BYU was also good that year and only lost two games.

You can give that excuse for any game. Oregon was starting their back up returner who fumbled the ball on the opening kick. They gifted LSU at least 3 of those TD's. Single games do not make a long-term trend.

OTOH, there is a perception that a spread offense can be shut down by a great defense while a more traditional offense will be able to at least score some points. I never bought into that, but that's why Baylor and Oregon are considered poor matchups vs a defensive oriented team like LSU.

For the record, OU runs a hybrid spread from the Leach/Mangino years. They're just given the benefit of the doubt because they're a traditional power.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Hatin' rear end Spurrier returns with every Richt burn you could ever want, even as a UGA fan

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dr. Pangloss posted:

It's a difference in stile of play. LSU's defense has just been able to shut down offenses like Baylor and Oregon rather consistently while struggling a bit more with the wear em down with a power running game like Stanford tends to use. It's speaking more to the match up rather than overall quality of any of the teams.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Lol the word suspension is being thrown around in the jimbo fisher press conference wrt Jameis.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

^^^^what a dork that guy is

And there it is. Jameis Winston suspended for first half of Clemson game.

Can't wait to see how this plays out

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Jameis suspended first half against Clemson

Edit: drat yall fast

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

pillsburysoldier posted:

^^^^what a dork that guy is

And there it is. Jameis Winston suspended for first half of Clemson game.

Can't wait to see how this plays out

On a side note, that is all you need to know about Pat Forde. I would rather hear John Steigerwald's take on literally any subject over Forde and that's saying a lot

swizz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 17, 2014

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

gently caress her right in the pussy hahhahahaha that's pretty funny lmao

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I guess Jameis finally saw those fake videos that have been floating around for a while.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dabo and Jimbo obviously have a gentlemen's agreement to play Stoudt for the first half too.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 17, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I guess "Being a dumbass college kid" is a half game suspension now.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
If you're bored at work and want a pretty cool read, Fox Sports just published an oral history of the greatest college team ever assembled, the 2001 Miami Hurricanes

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dude789 posted:

LSU's defense has just been able to shut down offenses like Baylor and Oregon rather consistently

Seems like kinda selective memory. They've lost to spread teams a decent bit too. Off the top of my head:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272860096

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=282850057

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302960002

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=323660228

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

May this day never be forgotten.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pillsburysoldier posted:

Dabo and Jimbo obviously have a gentlemen's agreement to play Stoudt for the first have too.

Eh, putting Deshaun in will be a judgement call based on how well Stoudt does in the first few series. I think Deshaun will definitely come in before the half.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

May this day never be forgotten.

Remember that like month where Andre Woodson was going to be a number 1 draft pick? That was fun.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

D.N. Nation posted:

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Remember when Jameis Winston said "If I get Manziel disease, I want every one of you all to get your mikes and start slapping me on the head"? Just sayin'.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Finebaum is going to be spectacular

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

swizz posted:

On a side note, that is all you need to know about Pat Forde. I would rather hear John Steigerwald's take on literally any subject over Forde and that's saying a lot

I wonder how much Forde enjoys college football now that Boise is completely irrelevant again. Hurr durr get on the Boise train everyone!

Dork.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Also this gif of Swoopes rules on account of the first defender getting blown the gently caress up. He looks like he was hit by a car, or maybe he's a henchman who just got shot by vintage James Bond.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I can only assume this suspension really just speaks to what Jimbo thinks of Clemson this year.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Texas and Michigan just agreed to a home and home series, I think 2024 and 2027.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

computer parts posted:

Texas and Michigan just agreed to a home and home series, I think 2024 and 2027.

Perhaps by then it will be a game worth watching.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

I can only assume this suspension really just speaks to what Jimbo thinks of Clemson this year.

I watched UGA/Clemson. Then I watched UGA/USC. Jimbo's probably right.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
For a little bit people were actually trying to talk up Pat Forde as someone who mattered or was worth listening to because it played into the "Yahoo! vs ESPN" thing. I'm glad that's done and everyone has remembered that he's a hack.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

gently caress her right in the pussy hahhahahaha that's pretty funny lmao

Things a guy who maybe probably raped a girl shouldn't yell in public for $1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

KKKLIP ART posted: