Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

KnifeWrench posted:

Is there a reason the document needs to be live and not published to HTML? Is anyone but you contributing? It sounds like the "live collaborative" feature isn't in use right now anyway.

Or could you start a new document every 25 pages or so with a link in the last one? The limitation you're experiencing makes sense for the platform, and the platform doesn't make obvious sense for your application.

HTML would be fine if it had a WYSIWYG interface, free hosting, and a way to restrict access to specific viewers; it's not meant for general release. Collaboration features would be nice because some users have expressed an interest in annotating it, but it's not strictly necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do the Arabs of Egypt have shieks and tribal connections?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kestral posted:

HTML would be fine if it had a WYSIWYG interface, free hosting, and a way to restrict access to specific viewers; it's not meant for general release. Collaboration features would be nice because some users have expressed an interest in annotating it, but it's not strictly necessary.

There are plenty of WYSIWYG HTML editors, so if your ISP gives you some web space you could just upload to that and give the URL to those you want to see it. Technically it would be public, but no one's going to find it by accident.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

In my decade and a half of learning, I don't think this has ever been specified to me, and I recently had it brought up by my partner so I thought I'd ask.

On a school paper, when asked to put the date, are you supposed to use the date you start writing it, the date you finished it, or the date you're supposed to turn it in?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The date you turn it in.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Redczar posted:

In my decade and a half of learning, I don't think this has ever been specified to me, and I recently had it brought up by my partner so I thought I'd ask.

On a school paper, when asked to put the date, are you supposed to use the date you start writing it, the date you finished it, or the date you're supposed to turn it in?

Depending on your school, either the date you finish or the date you turn it in will be preferred, though really if it's printed you should put the date you print it out. Never use the date you started writing it unless that's specifically asked for.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How long does it take sting ray sting wounds to heal? Googling isn't being very effective and its been like a week and the swelling and pain when I walk are kind of annoying

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

Jose posted:

How long does it take sting ray sting wounds to heal? Googling isn't being very effective and its been like a week and the swelling and pain when I walk are kind of annoying

Ask your doctor?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I was informed by the life guards I only needed a doctor if it got infected which it hasn't and I'm travelling in the US and would prefer not to have to pay/claim on insurance if its not necessary

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

This is pretty much impossible to answer since if they're anything like any other sting or bite, different people will take different ranges of time to recover. For instance, bed bug bites on me leave these enormous, maddeningly itchy welts that last three months, on my wife they just leave dainty little dots that go away in a day or two.

SuperS
Oct 28, 2007
i'm not that super, really
I have 100 folders on Dropbox, each containing 5 image files. How do I view all 500 photos (and only those 500) on my Android device in a single view?

I've tried adding all the folders to the Dropbox Photos folder, but this doesn't show up under Photos in the app, nor are they in http://www.dropbox.com/photos

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
If I'm trying to sell something- let's say, a piece of exercise equipment- to someone via email and haven't heard back after giving a price, how long should I wait to hit them back to see if they're interested? To complicate it further, that person is my company president- who I know personally, not like I'm some unnamed peon working in the fields. He seemed interested at the time but that was last week and I don't want to bug him about it..

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

New Leaf posted:

If I'm trying to sell something- let's say, a piece of exercise equipment- to someone via email and haven't heard back after giving a price, how long should I wait to hit them back to see if they're interested? To complicate it further, that person is my company president- who I know personally, not like I'm some unnamed peon working in the fields. He seemed interested at the time but that was last week and I don't want to bug him about it..

When it comes to selling things informally via email or Craigslist or whatever, a good rule of thumb is to assume that 1 out of every 5 people you correspond with will actually respond beyond the initial contact, and one out of those 5 will actually bother to pay and pick the drat thing up. Normally, no response for a week would count as a solid "Not Interested" in my book, but seeing as it's your boss, a polite email reminder and waiting another week might be a good idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it normal to have to pay for your own suit when you are in a wedding? My buddy decided to buy suits instead of rent tuxes and I was kind of surprised to find that I'm supposed to pay $300 for a suit that I don't want.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

NESguerilla posted:

Is it normal to have to pay for your own suit when you are in a wedding? My buddy decided to buy suits instead of rent tuxes and I was kind of surprised to find that I'm supposed to pay $300 for a suit that I don't want.
It's "normal" in the sense that anything for a wedding is "normal." That doesn't make it not kind of a dick move. It's a huge dick move if they didn't let you know what it was going to cost you when you agreed to be a groomsman or whatever.

If it makes you feel any better, about half that is typical for a rental, and if it's not super-formal, it's something you can at least use for job interviews or whatever.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

NESguerilla posted:

In general, yes, the attendants cover their own clothing expenses. For groomsmen, that's usually just a tux rental, but the poor bridesmaids always get stuck buying a hideous dress that's been dyed to the EXACT shade of [color not found in nature] that the bride wants. Looks like you get join them in the same boat for this one.

But hey, toward the end the reception, when it's time to drunkenly hit on the bridesmaids, you have a ready-made conversation topic to break the ice! :v:

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

What band is depicted in this painting?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

mlnhd posted:

My instant thought was REO Speedwagon.

edit: You know what? I think it might be The Eagles, but with Frey, Henley, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, and Don Felder.

edit edit: OR it might be Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Randy Meisner, Joe Walsh and Don Felder but I happen to know that the original configuration I posted above first played together at Disneyland.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 17, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was ognna suggest Foghat but there's an extra guy there?

edit: It's basically every band that charted in the 70s.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

NESguerilla posted:

Count your blessings. I was in a wedding last year where the groom and his entire family was from NC, but the wedding was being held in Ohio. The wedding party had to stay in the Westin in downtown Columbus, which is pretty loving expensive for someone like me. On top of that, it was a 5 day stay. Plus, we had to BUY A CUSTOM MADE VEST from Etsy. Not only is it absolutely hideous, it ran me over $180 bucks. PLUS, we had to rent the rest of our outfit, so another $150 or so. At least you have something you can wear again. After food expenses- which were astronomical by the end of it all- this wedding cost me $1200 to BE IN and all I have to show for it is a vest where the front looks like some Steampunk cosplayer's idea of vintage and the back looks like my grandmother's sofa.

Not that I'm bitter or anything..

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My software engineering professor gave us a variety of little grammar/writing things to watch out for in our homework. One that struck me was "Whenever you use 'if', there must be a 'then'". As in, you must literally include the word "then" if you say "if". I asked if this was particular to technical writing, since I'd never heard any such thing, and her she seemed surprised I hadn't known that. I've since looked up Strunk & White's "Elements of Style" (since she mentioned that at a different point), and it certainly doesn't mention anything about that, and if any style guide would, I would've thought that one would.

Does anyone have any idea where she got this notion from? Is it just bleed-over from programming?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

My software engineering professor gave us a variety of little grammar/writing things to watch out for in our homework. One that struck me was "Whenever you use 'if', there must be a 'then'". As in, you must literally include the word "then" if you say "if". I asked if this was particular to technical writing, since I'd never heard any such thing, and her she seemed surprised I hadn't known that. I've since looked up Strunk & White's "Elements of Style" (since she mentioned that at a different point), and it certainly doesn't mention anything about that, and if any style guide would, I would've thought that one would.

Does anyone have any idea where she got this notion from? Is it just bleed-over from programming?

If I were you I wouldn't worry about it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

hooah posted:

People latch onto rules that are comfortable and prevent mistakes. It's likely never wrong to include "then", and sometimes wrong to omit it, so the rule is a kind of security blanket to prevent mistakes. Couple that with a technical mindset (especially programming) and you can very easily extend the "always right way" to be the "only right way". There's a reason it's called a style guide and not a rulebook.

So to answer your question, she could have synthesized this rule on her own, or some other misguided person may have told her it was a rule, but once it got filed under "rules" she just stuck with it.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

hooah posted:

Obey the crazy professor, then forget all about it when you're done with the class. College microcosm.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

KnifeWrench posted:

People latch onto rules that are comfortable and prevent mistakes. It's likely never wrong to include "then", and sometimes wrong to omit it, so the rule is a kind of security blanket to prevent mistakes. Couple that with a technical mindset (especially programming) and you can very easily extend the "always right way" to be the "only right way". There's a reason it's called a style guide and not a rulebook.

So to answer your question, she could have synthesized this rule on her own, or some other misguided person may have told her it was a rule, but once it got filed under "rules" she just stuck with it.

This may be a case of casual speech/writing departing from formal writing. I imagine we often assume an implied "then" when using "if" (see syscall girl), but if you're doing formal writing it may be better or safer to say it explicitly. At the very least, it doesn't hurt.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Namarrgon posted:

Obey the crazy professor, then forget all about it when you're done with the class. College microcosm.

Oh, of course. This ain't my first rodeo, as they say. I was just curious if anyone else had heard of this strange "rule".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Why does everybody keep saying SA's font is different? To me, it looks exactly the same as it always does.

Using Safari, if it matters.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mister Macys posted:

Why does everybody keep saying SA's font is different? To me, it looks exactly the same as it always does.

Google changed Chrome's default font rendering to DirectWrite in version 37.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Macys posted:

They tested a new font in the forums CSS yesterday or a few days ago for a few hours. Seems people didn't like it and it's gone now.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

hooah posted:

I'm wondering if she has a mental disorder.

Then again, maybe she's just weird.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kestral posted:

Are there any online 'collaborative' text editors like Google Docs that can handle very large documents without slowing to a crawl? I have a document that's just broken the 300 page mark, and it's almost unusable at this point. I have to do the actual writing on a separate document and paste completed sections into the main document to avoid having about a full second of lag per keystroke.

I could simplify things by using an offline editor, but I have a small audience that's reading the updates as they come out, and distribution would be a hassle if it weren't cloud-based.

Split the big document into smaller ones, have each of them link to one another.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Then again, maybe she's just weird.
As both a software engineer and a professional academic there is a 100% chance that she is weird.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Please help John and ___ solve this problem." Is it me or I, and why?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mlnhd posted:

If it helps, I think the guy in the middle is Mickey Mouse.

Vegetable posted:

"Please help John and ___ solve this problem." Is it me or I, and why?

Me. The simple test is to remove the other person and see what word you would use then. You'd say "help me solve this" so you say "help John and me solve this".

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Tiggum posted:

If it helps, I think the guy in the middle is Mickey Mouse.

Me. The simple test is to remove the other person and see what word you would use then. You'd say "help me solve this" so you say "help John and me solve this".

What if you're Jamaican?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meatwave posted:

What if you're Jamaican?

bumbaclot, talkin' foul to I an I.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

hooah posted:

It's most likely a bleed-over from programming, since for programming there's always an 'If X, then Y'. Which can lead to a mess if you're programming, and you forget to program the Y, at best you're going to end up with failed dependencies, so you're going to want keep an eye on Y, even if it doesn't do anything.

In conversational English, the 'then' is usually implied. She might also have conflated it with either/or and neither/nor, where you still have to use the latter word if you start a sentence with either or neither.

For example, "If it is sunny tomorrow, I will have a picnic." And "If it is sunny tomorrow, then I will have a picnic." Those are both pretty much the same sentence. Depending on the writing style, most writers usually try to cut out pointless words, and 'then' is an easy cut.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 18, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

It's 'I' because the people represent the subject in the sentence. It's 'me' when the person is the object.

'Please help John and I solve this problem' is correct.

e: examples: Clare and I are going for a coffee
The dog followed John and me to the door.

Aggressive pricing fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 18, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aggressive pricing posted:

Uhh...that doesn't seem right.

"Please help I solve this problem."

?

No. It's clearly "Please help me solve this problem."

"Me" is still the object of the sentence. "The problem" is the subject.

Edit: Or is the implied "you" in the "please help" the object? Either way, you're right on the "object vs subject" use for "me vs I," but just got it wrong in that one example sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aggressive pricing posted:

It's 'I' because the people represent the subject in the sentence. It's 'me' when the person is the object.

e: examples: Clare and I are going for a coffee
The dog followed John and me to the door.

If this is the case (and I'm not saying it isn't, I've never been formally taught grammar), why does that not apply if you remove John?

Clare and I are going for a coffee -> I am going for a coffee.
The dog followed John and me to the door -> The dog followed me to the door.
Please help John and I solve this problem -> Please help me solve this problem?