Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Leofish posted:

They told her that she'd burn in hell for not being a Muslim. There's an hour-long video in there as well that I didn't watch, but the short video is a documentary of a woman talking to people at a single protest. The marchers are chanting "UK go to hell, British police go to hell" and she confronts a few of them who tell her she's wrong for not being Muslim, and that Islam requires they convert the land to their way of life. And then she's a little sad at the end.

Also that she's naked and trying to seduce someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There are plenty of places in the United States where religious extremists will tell you you need to convert or go to hell, they're called Georgia.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

1stGear posted:

There are plenty of places in the United States where religious extremists will tell you you need to convert or go to hell, they're called Georgia.

Georgia goon here: You're wrong, those people are in Alabama. Georgia is actually pretty nice.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Georgia goon here: You're wrong, those people are in Alabama. Georgia is actually pretty nice.

And then an Alabama goon comes in and says it's really Tennessee, Tennessee goon comes in and says it's really Mississippi, and Xylo bans all of you because he can't think of anyone to pass the buck to.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
All of those places suck, including New York.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Apogee15 posted:

All of those places suck, including New York.

New York would be pretty cool if it weren't for all the New Yorkers living there.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Centripetal Horse posted:

New York would be pretty cool if it weren't for all the New Yorkers living there.

This is a good post.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this poo poo is still being posted. I hate being from the South.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
That you even need to be piss tested for a job that isn't involving heavy machinery or highly super duper top secret stuff is bullshit in the first place. But I'm trying to argue with a 3 year old macro, so whatever.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

It would still be altogether too near to NJ.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

mng posted:

That you even need to be piss tested for a job that isn't involving heavy machinery or highly super duper top secret stuff is bullshit in the first place. But I'm trying to argue with a 3 year old macro, so whatever.

My friend who posted a macro like that once is a loving copy writer. She writes radio commercials. There's no piss test for that job.

But it's the principle of the thing, you see. :downs:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is a good post.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that this poo poo is still being posted. I hate being from the South.

A friend of mine posted this alongside a comment about how he bets welfare will get cut in half and he can't wait to get his money back! :sigh:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Transmogrifier posted:

A friend of mine posted this alongside a comment about how he bets welfare will get cut in half and he can't wait to get his money back! :sigh:

If it was recently then you should link to articles about how drug testing the poor actually cost Florida taxpayers more money than if they left it alone.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Transmogrifier posted:

The average american has about $36 of their yearly taxes going towards welfare. Cutting it in half would save them a staggering 18 dollars a year. Sure, the 100 million people on welfare might not be able to afford food anymore, but just imagine the boost the economy would receive after he spends that $18!

I, for one, cannot wait to spent my $18 dollars on something useful like a new T-shirt or McDonalds.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
As if cutting welfare would even give people the money back, it'd just go to something else people won't appreciate.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Picnic Princess posted:

If it was recently then you should link to articles about how drug testing the poor actually cost Florida taxpayers more money than if they left it alone.

The Daily Show's bit on that a little while back was great. Asif Mandvi handed the governor a cup at a press conference and asked if he'd pee in it, because his salary also comes from taxpayers.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Huntersoninski posted:

As if cutting welfare would even give people the money back, it'd just go to something else people won't appreciate.
It could go to the military which no one ever objects to.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
Usually I don't get a whole bunch of bullshit on my feed, but that CNN iReport concerning 'Fraud at the CDC' has brought some sleeper anti-vax friends out of the woodwork.

The report if anyone is interested. CNN's note at the top of the article:

quote:

CNN PRODUCER NOTE CNN iReport is the network’s user-generated news community. This story, which is about a study from Dr. Brian Hooker about the alleged link between vaccines and autism, was initially pulled for further review after it was flagged by the community. CNN has reached out to the CDC for comment and is working to confirm the claims in this iReport.

Anyway, as a response to that article my apparently anti-vax friend posted, another friend (who's a pharmacist) posted this picture which I found hysterical:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
why yes correlation is causation im a scientist

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Picnic Princess posted:

It was yesterday and I did exactly that, as well as linking to the one from Tennessee. All he did was talk about how the tests aren't reliable because "everyone can pass a scheduled drug test when money is involved," and those who passed the tests just weren't showing up positive because of that. He also claimed he knew a guy who took a drug test within 24 hours of doing a bunch of drugs and he came up clean while citing that 90% of the people he knew on welfare were also on drugs. :suicide: I just gave up on him.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Wasn't there a GBS thread long ago where goons were making correlating graphs using random axis, stuff like 'Stray cats in US' vs 'NASA budget'

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Wasn't there a GBS thread long ago where goons were making correlating graphs using random axis, stuff like 'Stray cats in US' vs 'NASA budget'

There's a whole website dedicated to it.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Spalec posted:

There's a whole website dedicated to it.

Dual income households can afford real butter.

Teenagers can no longer smoke honey so now they smoke weed.

People are slipping on wet floors and falling under the trains.

All perfectly reasonable :shrug:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Don't forget the FL Gov's wife owns the company that did the testing. Oh and that the he's suspected of other medical fraud. Oh and he looks like a bald comic book villian.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Transmogrifier posted:

It was yesterday and I did exactly that, as well as linking to the one from Tennessee. All he did was talk about how the tests aren't reliable because "everyone can pass a scheduled drug test when money is involved," and those who passed the tests just weren't showing up positive because of that. He also claimed he knew a guy who took a drug test within 24 hours of doing a bunch of drugs and he came up clean while citing that 90% of the people he knew on welfare were also on drugs. :suicide: I just gave up on him.

The other usual counter argument I've seen is that it doesn't matter if it's a waste of money it's the principle that matters, the principle being people who claim welfare should be punished and humiliated I guess.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Puntification posted:

The other usual counter argument I've seen is that it doesn't matter if it's a waste of money it's the principle that matters, the principle being people who claim welfare should be punished and humiliated I guess.

My favorite argument for "the principle" I've heard is "If I can't get hosed up when I bust my rear end, why do they deserve to get hosed up while they don't even have a job?" Not coincidentally, I've heard this most from ex-stoners.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

My favorite argument for "the principle" I've heard is "If I can't get hosed up when I bust my rear end, why do they deserve to get hosed up while they don't even have a job?" Not coincidentally, I've heard this most from ex-stoners.

It drives me insane that their solution is "That other guy should be poo poo on too" rather than "They should stop making GBS threads on me".

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

It drives me insane that their solution is "That other guy should be poo poo on too" rather than "They should stop making GBS threads on me".

People literally feel happiness based on their status compared to those around them. So on that front, it's probably way easier to become happier by making GBS threads on someone else rather than advancing their own prospects.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The saying is "misery loves company," not "misery will fight a motherfucker to stop being miserable."

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Slime posted:

People literally feel happiness based on their status compared to those around them. So on that front, it's probably way easier to become happier by making GBS threads on someone else rather than advancing their own prospects.
I'm not sure this is true for everybody.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Afraid of Audio posted:

why yes correlation is causation im a scientist

Which was, of course, the point of the graph unless :thatsthejoke:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

canyoneer posted:

It's fitting that some of the oil is named "thieves"

The best part is that thieves oil is basically a snake oil. Back when people though diseases were caused by bad smells or "miasma" Thieves Oil was the name given to blends of essential oils and herbs that grave robbers would smear on their noses to protected them while they looted the bodies of people who had died/were almost dead from the plague. Because of this people ascribe all kinds of antiseptic properties to it, even though 99% of them involve the fact that it's made with grain alcohol and clove oil and not any magical special powers unheard of to science.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

But surely stoners would know how much drugs cost? How would welfare claimants even afford the drugs? Unless these are baby boomers who used cannabis in the '60s and aren't adjusting for inflation, and saying the modern stuff's much stronger and they'd never touch it of course

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Wasn't there some survey/study/whatever done and it showed that a rather insignificant amount of people on welfare are actually using drugs? I recall hearing it was one in 850 or something along those lines but I could be off there. A lot of times people bitching about welfare, etc is just thinly veiled racism and people just wishing they could make it illegal to be anything other than white in 'merica.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Tracula posted:

Wasn't there some survey/study/whatever done and it showed that a rather insignificant amount of people on welfare are actually using drugs? I recall hearing it was one in 850 or something along those lines but I could be off there. A lot of times people bitching about welfare, etc is just thinly veiled racism and people just wishing they could make it illegal to be anything other than white in 'merica.

There was a study which put the percentage at around 20% recipients of welfare reported some drug use within a year.

What you are probably thinking about is when Tennessee(I think) started testing welfare recipients for drugs, only like 2% of recipients tested positive.

Apogee15 has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Sep 18, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Yeah, the latter of the two sounds like what I was thinking of. I just recall so many people thinking that 90% of all the poors did drugs and it turned out so obscenely wrong all they could do was shut up.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

You don't need perky books to be beautiful.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Conal Cochran posted:

You don't need perky books to be beautiful.

I'm going to guess the person who posted this weighs more than 300 pounds.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

And yet, she is still half (or even a quarter!) of the weight of the intended target audience of that image.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Some local businessperson shared a person of a drunk first nations person on Facebook and now it's spreading like wildfire with a lot of racist comments, FN is a big part of my heritage and even if I try to engage in thoughtful discussions surrounding social issues and why that photo isn't funny, I know I'll get dogpiled on :sigh: Like, even if people say "it would be funny if it was a white person too!", it's still a pretty sad picture at someone at a very low point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Soviet Commubot posted:

An axe-wielding maniac attacks a random citizen, hacking away at their legs. The citizen panics, screaming and flailing until a good Samaritan shows up to try and help. Whereby the victim then pulls a weapon of their own out and attacks the good Samaritan. Completely ignoring the cause of the problem and instead bringing someone else down.

Alternatively, and less stupidly written, all of these people are Stinkmeaner and would prefer everybody else's live to also be poo poo.

• Locked thread