Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first five seasons of Supernatural not to long ago and the first season is definitely the weakest (of those.) The first handful of episodes are incredibly formulaic and it takes forever for the overarching plot to actually start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They very much went with the "what if urban legends were real" gimmick in season one. I think maybe they were making sure of a pickup before they got more serialized.

Also Racist Truck.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

I think there is some stuff you could cut from Breaking Bad, but not much. The stuff with the twins, in retrospect, didn't seem terribly necessary, for example.

The attack on Hank, though?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lycus posted:

The attack on Hank, though?

They were also important in the Gus/Hector war.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Yeah, what the hell, why did SyFy pass on High Moon anyway? That was amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sober posted:

Yeah, what the hell, why did SyFy pass on High Moon anyway? That was amazing.

Needed more sharknatos and less Sci-fi.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I would cut the plane crash stuff from BB before cutting the Cousins. Yeah they were boring characters but they managed to be decent plot devices I thought. Plus their fight with Hank was baller as hell.

Guy who wants faster-paced dramas, you would probably like Strike Back or Luther.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

precision posted:

Though it's funny he mentioned Edgar Wright since Hot Fuzz is one of the few things that I think needs every single scene to work.

Hot Fuzz might be my favorite movie. There isn't a single scene in that movie that isn't set-up, execution upon said set-up, or callbacks. None of it is pointless, all of it is amazing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hot Fuzz was a huge disappointment after the zombie movie.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah, if you were dissapointed that the follow up to Shaun of the Dead was leagues better.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Hot Fuzz feels like an extended Family Guy sketch.

"Hey Brian, remember the time Die Hard took place in a retirement home?"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mu Zeta posted:

You're crazy, Hot Fuzz is fantastic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Metropolis posted:

I would cut the plane crash stuff from BB before cutting the Cousins. Yeah they were boring characters but they managed to be decent plot devices I thought. Plus their fight with Hank was baller as hell.

I didn't enjoy the plane season, but it wasn't bad enough to cut. And Walt letting Chloe die so she could be reincarnated as the Bitch in Apartment 23 was loving dark Some of the more standalone episodes could stand to go though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty sure considering Hot Fuzz a disappointment is actually in the DSM-5.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

I know your thing is making people wonder what the gently caress you're talking about, but what the gently caress are you talking about.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

One of these days we have to compile a greatest hits of Irish Joe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I didn't enjoy the plane season, but it wasn't bad enough to cut. And Walt letting Chloe die so she could be reincarnated as the Bitch in Apartment 23 was loving dark Some of the more standalone episodes could stand to go though.

"Let's get weird and play Mario Kart!" was a quote years ahead of its time, as it turns out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sober posted:

One of these days we have to compile a greatest hits of Irish Joe.

The one where he talked up Brooklyn Taxi so much he got people to watch it and then they came in here and complained about it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the best Irish Joe posts are the ones where he pretends to break Kayfabe and goes "no guys these are actual opinions that I have!"

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Metropolis posted:

Guy who wants faster-paced dramas, you would probably like Strike Back or Luther.

Also Rectify.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Luther is pretty great. Also, all four three seasons is only like 14 episodes total.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 17, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Season 2 is kinda garbage tho... Stopped watching after that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Luther is pretty great. Also, all four seasons is only like 14 episodes total.

You just made me think I'd somehow missed a fourth season of Luther. :argh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can't remember, I watched them all in a row. I don't remember anything being especially bad, but then again I watch a lot of TV.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You guys thought Hot Fuzz was a disappointment? Goddamn, have y'all ever seen The World's End? Hot Fuzz is still a nonstop laugh riot several years after coming out but The World's End was pretty much a dud.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hot Fuzz is the best Edgar Wright movie. Followed soon after by Scott Pilgrim.

Shaun of the Dead was a huge disappointment after watching Hot Fuzz.

I can't remember a single thing about World's End other than the bathroom scene.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought Hot Fuzz was better.

I watched it after Shaun of the dead.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Toxxupation posted:

Season 2 is kinda garbage tho... Stopped watching after that

I liked S2, but I had some issues with S3

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

BSam posted:

Also Rectify.

Rectify's pacing is like watching snails dry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So, Arrested Development is pretty funny.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Irish Joe posted:

Pretty much this. With Shaun of the Dead there were plenty of references, parodies and homages but underneath it all there was a pretty drat good zombie movie as well. Real horrific scenes too and heartfelt moments with the mom. In Hot Fuzz all I saw was a series of hey remember that thing in Bad Boys and then it shows them doing the same thing from Bad Boys.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

So, Arrested Development is pretty funny.
Season 4 is pretty much one of the most brilliant TV-related things I've ever seen, and it's a shame that it's not funnier.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Season 4 is pretty much one of the most brilliant TV-related things I've ever seen, and it's a shame that it's not funnier.

Like a lot of people, I think the raw footage is there; it just needs to be edited into eight great episodes instead of 14 decent ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The World's End is the best movie in that trilogy. It's just the least funny.

E: I mean, yeah, Hot Fuzz is probably the funniest movie I've ever seen, but the thematic work done in TWE is just phenomenal.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 17, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Totally agreed on that front. It's also the one that works best as a movie instead of just a genre pastiche. But I'd still rather watch Hot Fuzz most days.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Like a lot of people, I think the raw footage is there; it just needs to be edited into eight great episodes instead of 14 decent ones.
I'm not convinced. I think production is the problem, not post. They weren't able to get everyone together to film, which really hurt their ability to make it work.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
VagueRant, watch the Killing. You'll love it!

radlum
May 13, 2013
I didn't give a damm about Ant Man and Edgar Wright leaving it until I saw Hot Fuzz again. Now I can understand the fanboys crying over that.

Also, Shaun of the Dead is good, but not as good as Hot Fuzz, I've yet to see World's End and I don't understand why I expected to like Scott Pilgrim if I hated the comic so much (though making someone as punchable as Michael Cera the lead in that helped a lot, since the thing I disliked the most about the comic was the main character)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The World's End started off really great, but I was really exhausted of it by the time they got to the weird shouty ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Listen man, I could go write a ten-page screed on how that scene is loving amazing but no one here wants to read that so I'll just say it's a goddamn beautiful thematic climax that encapsulates everything that move is trying to say about the nature of alcoholism and nostalgia.

• Locked thread