Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

If anyone is in or around Bristol today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Hey guys, Dogfish is selling these sweet punkin growlers. Only $175 (limit of 1 per person).

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Quantrill posted:

Hey guys, Dogfish is selling these sweet punkin growlers. Only $175 (limit of 1 per person).

...... :wtc: I'm sad that I know there will be people buying them. D:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jesus gently caress that's an expensive growler.

Popped open a Hardywood Raspberry Stout and that was so yummy. Very much like eating a raspberry chocolate cake and happy that the fruit nor sweetness wasn't cloying!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

funkybottoms posted:

he's a autistic stoner who alternates between being really friendly and being an aloof, arrogant dickhead. he doesn't beat up his wife or anything truly hosed up, though, so i will continue to enjoy the beer that he makes.

Let's Talk Beer 4: We stop at wife beating, even for WHALEZ.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Quantrill posted:

too bad they're loving ugly.

one of my usual shops is selling hand-made wooden beer totes for about a fifth of the price as Hill Farmstead. i think they're a fine idea for growlers, but a big wooden thing that's like 17" tall for a six-pack is pretty stupid.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Jesus christ what the hell is wrong with Rogue :psyduck:

GABF/WTF folks, I am sending out an email about our share - October 3, and we haven't quite nailed down a time but eyeballing mid afternoon to early evening (no later than 5 or 6 pm start). PM me your email if you want in!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

they responded that they always serve Japanese-themed menu items with chopsticks. if true, well, okay, but the response to the complaint is still terrible.

V haha

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 17, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Just Rogue Things

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Rah! posted:

I'm usually too poor to regularly buy good beer...but not today! I just picked up a 12 pack fall sampler from Sierra Nevada for $13 (Pale ale, Oktoberfest, Tumbler brown ale, and Vienna Lager). :getin:

I had never tried their Vienna lager before, and I really like it. In fact I'd never had that style of beer at all before, anyone have some recommendations for it?

Brooklyn Lager and Great Lakes Eliot Ness are top of the class. Sam Adams Boston Lager is a sort of one. Clown Shoes Swagger is a hoppy version.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
I randomly got to talk with Chris Ives, the head brewer from Ilkley Brewery, last night. He was on his way to Asheville for the Brewgrass Festival, and stopped in with his distribution company at a local bar. Really nice guy, and it was interesting to hear about the state of craft beer on the other side of the pond. He told me about getting death threats from CAMRA (on Twitter and Facebook) when they announced they were starting to keg and bottle their beers.

I'd love to see some more of their English styles available over here. The Mayan is an excellent lighter chocolate & pepper stout, but of their other imports, two of them are "American-style" IPAs, and while they are ok, they're not going to be able to compete with cheaper and better actual American offerings.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Fluo posted:

If anyone is in or around Bristol today:

I bought the (quite pricey) gift pack of these thinking I'd never get the chance to see them anywhere nearby on draught and now there's a launch event tonight, near my mate's house, which just happens to be 40-miles nearer to a customer I have to go and see early tomorrow morning. I think fate is telling me I should see you there.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Midorka posted:

Brooklyn Lager and Great Lakes Eliot Ness are top of the class. Sam Adams Boston Lager is a sort of one. Clown Shoes Swagger is a hoppy version.

Stiegl is widely available and I think is one of the best import lagers. Also it is basically the definition of a Vienna Lager.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Eejit posted:

Stiegl is widely available and I think is one of the best import lagers. Also it is basically the definition of a Vienna Lager.

Tangentially, Stiegl's Paracelsus is one of my favorite beers.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Crooked Stave is now distributing in NC! Wow, I hadn't heard anything about this until I saw some bottle shops tweeting out that they had bottles on the shelf yesterday. Looks like St. Bretta, Surette and Vieille so far.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Tired Hands and Forest & Main both decided to do unannounced sub-200-bottle sales today.

gently caress my life.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Something is in the air today... Tired Hands and Forest & Main both announced ~200 bottle count releases for today at 4pm. Tired Hands has I See A Darkness (coffee honey porter) refermented with their emptiness (sour saison) culture. Forest & Main is selling Dochter Seizoen, a hoppy saison fermented in wine barrels.

It's 25 minutes to either brewery from my office and they're in opposite directions. I have plans in the city at 6 so I can only pick one. Decisions decisions.

edit - beaten by the only other person as upset about this as I am.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

a worthy uhh posted:

Tired Hands and Forest & Main both decided to do unannounced sub-200-bottle sales today.

gently caress my life.

And I thought having to haul rear end to Jester King with a few days notice was bad :yayclod:

e: speaking of silent releases, the new okie whale Fred's blend is now out.

air- fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 17, 2014

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

pugnax posted:

Tangentially, Stiegl's Paracelsus is one of my favorite beers.

Yeah, that's actually an awesome beer. Zwickl is an unusual style that I could drink more often if it were available. I actually had a kellerbier two weekends ago and while it was drinkable, it wasn't as excellent as Paracelsus.

Retemnav posted:

Crooked Stave is now distributing in NC! Wow, I hadn't heard anything about this until I saw some bottle shops tweeting out that they had bottles on the shelf yesterday. Looks like St. Bretta, Surette and Vieille so far.

All three of those are worth picking up, but if you were going to skip one I'd say Vieille as it's a solid slightly sour saison but unless it's one of the day hopped variants it's maybe not worth what they charge for a tiny 350 mL.

E durr of course you know this since we had beers at the source last year

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
North Carolina beer goons, what are some good beers that are not distributed that far out of NC (I'm in Chicago, IL)? My mom is going to be visiting my grandparents in Cary in a few weeks and she said she would be willing to pick me up a few beers from out there. All I can remember from reading this thread is Wicked Weed and Green Man. Any others that are worth checking out? Any recommendations for bottle shops close to Cary? I looked on Google Maps and found The Beer Dispensary.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

a worthy uhh posted:

gently caress my life.

You do not have to get all of the beers. They're not Pokemons. It's ok.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

But sub-200 bottle count = whalez.

FT: New TH bottles. ISO: DQ+

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

But there's only 150 of them I gotta have one.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

sub-200 bottle count is my favorite flavor.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

If you're that desperate for sub-200 bottle beers, just homebrew some! Then you'll have 100% of one of THE RAREST WALEZ.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Retemnav posted:

Well, I know what I'm going to try to pick up on my way home now…

americanzero4128 posted:

North Carolina beer goons, what are some good beers that are not distributed that far out of NC (I'm in Chicago, IL)? My mom is going to be visiting my grandparents in Cary in a few weeks and she said she would be willing to pick me up a few beers from out there. All I can remember from reading this thread is Wicked Weed and Green Man. Any others that are worth checking out? Any recommendations for bottle shops close to Cary? I looked on Google Maps and found The Beer Dispensary.

Check out http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/compare.html. Tasty Beverage in Raleigh is cool, I've heard good things about Bottle Revolution as well. Bottle Revolution apparently carries NoDa, which I haven't had yet but also keep hearing good things about. Cary is basically a Raleigh suburb, in terms of distance.

If you want the intersection of rare NC-only and 2014's hot Gose trend, have her pick you up a bottle of Steel String Zupfen. 12 ratings on BA and not even on seekabrew L@@K FT

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Some breweries could put actual nail polish remover in branded bottles and sell it at sub-200 bottle count numbers. In fact I'm pretty sure Three Floyds has done exactly that in the past. It was pretty tasty, as I recall.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007

Eejit posted:

E durr of course you know this since we had beers at the source last year

:downs:

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm not familiar with The Beer Dispensary, but it looks like they've got a pretty good selection. Bottle Revolution is nearby as well. Either will probably do you ok.

Wicked Weed (Black Angel, Oblivion, Serenity are my favs. Some Serenity batches have had issues with diacetyl tho.)
Olde Hickory (Irish Walker, Imperial Stout, Death By Hops, Hickory Stick Stout are all very good.)
Foothills (People's Porter, if it's first of the month their IPA of the Month for Oct. might be out.)
NoDa (Hop Drop n' Roll has been back in distro so they might be able to score some of it. Excellent DIPA. Cavu is good as well.)
Duck-Rabbit (Milk Stout, Baltic Porter, Schwarzbier)
Fullsteam (Summer Basil if you can still find it, Working Man's Lunch)
Hi-Wire (Hi-Pitch IPA)
Lonerider, Green Man, Asheville Brewing Co, Big Boss - solid beers if nothing that stands out (unless you can get some of Green Man's sours, which I kind of doubt down in Raleigh.)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bartolimu posted:

Some breweries could put actual nail polish remover in branded bottles and sell it at sub-200 bottle count numbers. In fact I'm pretty sure Three Floyds has done exactly that in the past. It was pretty tasty, as I recall.

That infected Rue D'Floyd was the perfect accompaniment to the bacon wrapped bandaids and used syringes I had for dinner that night.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Glad to see you all tripping over yourselves to be smug. Both of these beers are going to be loving delicious and there's nothing wrong with wanting things.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

Glad to see you all tripping over yourselves to be smug. Both of these beers are going to be loving delicious and there's nothing wrong with wanting things.

It's not so much smugness (at least in my case) as it is recognition that there are, have been, and always will be more delicious beers I will never taste than those I will. Scampering around and spending a ton of time/money to taste just one more super-rare thing seems like too much effort when there are thousands of more available things right here to drink.

I mean, if a Veritas release happens to fall on the first day of my San Diego vacation I'll be up in San Marcos doing the needful. But going apeshit bananas over whales isn't my primary motivator at this point.

bartolimu fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 17, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Ubik posted:

If you're that desperate for sub-200 bottle beers, just homebrew some! Then you'll have 100% of one of THE RAREST WALEZ.

The only problem is that the flavor of disappointment overpowers the rarity.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I really wasn't trying to be smug, I just think you need to reassess your priorities if not being able to get hold of a beer is a "gently caress my life" moment.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew shelf beer.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Sirotan posted:

I really wasn't trying to be smug, I just think you need to reassess your priorities if not being able to get hold of a beer is a "gently caress my life" moment.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew shelf beer.

Everything people say on the internet is definitely 100% literal. Hyperbole isn't a thing.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Retemnav posted:

Duck-Rabbit (Milk Stout, Baltic Porter, Schwarzbier)

Have these guys resolved their near-constant infection issues?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Retemnav posted:

God drat it, as soon as I move out of the state NC gets Cigar City and Crooked Stave. I'm just waiting for the announcement that The Alchemist, Russian River, and Westvleteren are coming next month.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

internet celebrity posted:

God drat it, as soon as I move out of the state NC gets Cigar City and Crooked Stave. I'm just waiting for the announcement that The Alchemist, Russian River, and Westvleteren are coming next month.

When I moved out, they lifted the ABV cap. Obviously people should just keep leaving NC. Because beer.

pepper bologna
Dec 31, 2005
A man among mushrooms

internet celebrity posted:

What have you heard about Cigar City entering NC? I know we have a poster here that works at the brewery but I can't remember anything being said about them distributing to NC. It would be nice if Westbrook began distribution here as well, but I can definitely put up with the 15 minute drive to SC for a decent selection of their stuff.

For NC beers I would add Foothills Jade IPA if you can find bottles. It's a pretty solid and unique IPA. I would also second NoDa Hop Drop N' Roll if it is possible to find. I think I have been spoiled by being local to the brewery but by the sounds of it it has become increasingly harder to find after the WBC Gold and Citra supply issues.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

crazyfish posted:

Have these guys resolved their near-constant infection issues?

they're still in business, so, yes, i guess they did. i picked up a single of their schwarzbier out of curiosity the other day and it wasn't nearly as good as i remember, though, and i have to wonder if they have the same brewer(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I have a friend going to St Paul for the weekend. Is there a six pack that I should have him pick up for me?