Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

My lincoln has 5 ashtrays and 0 cupholders.

Priorities, folks.

Now, let's see one of you defend this one.

Call me paranoid, but this is all I can think of when I read the words, "salvage title"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm more concerned about the integrity of that repair or how hosed the labor market is where this was done that throwing that many hours into a '90s Lanos was a worthwile and profitable operation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tommychu posted:

I'm not sure if I'm more concerned about the integrity of that repair or how hosed the labor market is where this was done that throwing that many hours into a '90s Lanos was a worthwile and profitable operation.

Are those pictures of a shop job or are they from an AI journal of somebody putting tons of hours and cash into a pile of poo poo and saying "I love it and nobody understands"?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shop job, 12 days of work.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Still think an RX-8 with a BPD in it would be a lot of fun.

I'm curious as to how similar the new 2.3 EB going into the new mustang is to the MZR & Skyactiv engines; if the EB is still based off the MZR bolt pattern, it might be a relatively easy swap into a Miata (hopefully including the ND), or an RX-8. Mmmm, 310 HP Miata. :fap:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Panty Saluter posted:

Considering the speed limit on my road is an (inexplicable) 40 MPH winding out first gear might even be a bad idea, especially with a yowling rotary. Also I thought first gear redline in an RX-8 was like 45-50?

Anyway, don't help me justifying one as a daily driver. I am already quite adept at spending my money foolishly :v:

I totally, Unironically was just looking at RX-8s for a daily driver. Theres a few around here for pretty drat cheap with 100kish miles. Seems like a fun car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're cheap because 100,000 miles is beyond the service life of the engine.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I went looking for RX8s here in Europe, and found this with an asking price of 2300euro/3000usd:

For just 200euro more you can get this:

So I don't even know what the gently caress is up with the owner of the first "car". From the description:

quote:

Total damage, engine and transmission work properly, vehicle starts and you can there before and will return.

So the engine has 41000km on the clock, and apparently runs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

did you read either ad?

from the sounds of it, the red car is worse off than the black one.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Powershift posted:

That bad huh? Thats a shame. It seemed like a fun idea.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

There are dozens of RX-8s for under £1000 in the UK. They tend to mention "start issues". Something like this is pretty loving tempting though.

quote:

THIS VEHICLE WAS BROUGHT IN AS A PART EXCHANGE AND IT WILL BE SOLD AS SEEN WITH NO WARRANTY IMPLIED OR GIVEN

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 15, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

quote:

THIS VEHICLE WAS BROUGHT IN AS A PART EXCHANGE AND IT WILL BE SOLD AS SEEN WITH NO WARRANTY IMPLIED OR GIVEN

Which is bullshit, since that's a dealer, and the Sale of Goods act in the UK requires your purchase to be fit for purpose and as described, with a 6 month window. As long as it's sold by a delaer and not a private sale.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

AirRaid posted:

Which is bullshit, since that's a dealer, and the Sale of Goods act in the UK requires your purchase to be fit for purpose and as described, with a 6 month window. As long as it's sold by a delaer and not a private sale.

What if the dealer is selling it as a parts car that, at the moment, runs?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Call me paranoid, but this is all I can think of when I read the words, "salvage title"

They'll post the 2nd to last picture as the original damage and claim "No idea why insurance totalled it! Their loss is your gain!"

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Safety Dance posted:

What if the dealer is selling it as a parts car that, at the moment, runs?

Well that's pretty much the entire reason that "Sold for spares or repair" is such a popular tag on old cars in the UK.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm curious as to how similar the new 2.3 EB going into the new mustang is to the MZR & Skyactiv engines; if the EB is still based off the MZR bolt pattern, it might be a relatively easy swap into a Miata (hopefully including the ND), or an RX-8. Mmmm, 310 HP Miata. :fap:

As I understand it, the 2.3EB is the basis for the new 2.0EB that's debuting in the next Edge. It shares bore-centers with the current 2.0 Ecoboost (an MZR derivative) and nothing else.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 15, 2014

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

The Door Frame posted:

Thats nothing. This was famously a story where some guy buys an audi, and after realizing one of the speakers didn't work he took the door panel off to investigate. Upon doing so, he discovered photos and a letter. It said, "Thanks for buying my car, here is some work I did to it...."

It was basically a car he built completely from parts in a junk yard. And painted with the color produced by the jug where they dumped excess paints.
From this:

To This:

More pics and story here
http://englishrussia.com/2009/03/16/car-with-surprise/1/

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That's quite impressive handiwork, though.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Octopus Magic posted:

The RENESIS offered the best N/A rotary power that a 2 rotor engine ever got from the factory. How is that crap power?
It's impressive for what it is, but it's not competitive.
If mazda wanted to keep the dream alive and sunk heaps into r&d, then needed something to get a short term influx of cash to keep going on to better things, then congrats, that's what they did and I shouldn't be so harsh. Maybe they can get some decent power out of it to compete with 4 cyl pistons next time? But if they were serious thinking this is a great car, then they've done more damage to the brand than they have done good.
Bare in mind that only Japan and USA had the higher power version IIRC, europe and aus had a much lower power versions, which is why we may hate on them more.

GutBomb posted:

How is a 2 seat roadster a more sensible package than a 4 seater (the back seats can actually be used too) with a trunk you can actually fit things in?

What other cars were even in the same space at the time the RX-8 was around?
MX-5? (if the S2000 is considered in the same space, then the MX-5 has to be too)
S2000?
Nissan 350Z?
G35? (this is a stretch)

Am I forgetting anything?

The closest car I can think of to the RX-8 is the FR-S/BRZ but they didn't overlap in production at all. They get a lot of the same criticism as well, low torque, not enough power, no turbo, etc... The Toyobaru definitely wins in the fuel consumption department though.
Honestly to me, would have been more sensible to stick a MZR type engine in it and call it a MX8. They had the chassis, the MZR is only ~20-30kg heavier anyway, it would have potentially more power than the renesis and it would pass future emissions standards, (I spelled it right that time).

Powershift posted:

160,000 miles at least, considering that's what one of my rx4s had on the clock with it's original engine and rx8 fans think it's such a great engine, must be better that a 1970s 13b eh?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 16, 2014

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I had an NA FC with over 130,000 miles and it had great compression and ran great, didn't even have issues at 3k rpm when the secondary injectors came on, when the car got totalled because a sorority chick panicked in traffic and blocked me. The rotary engines can certainly last a long time, but the average driver will baby their car too much and load them with carbon. I get sad when I'm behind an RX8 being driven slowly, I know it's just dieing a slow death.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

Bare in mind that only Japan and USA had the higher power version IIRC, europe and aus had a much lower power versions, which is why we may hate on them more.

Swedish sold RX8s are only of the high power variety, which means it had an EU CoC.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Lucky Swedes, I haven't heard the same from the UK. Being an anglo aussie, that's europe to me. Drive on the same side of the road and same language and all :v:
Just kidding of course but I can only go by english language information. E: not that we speak it much down here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 16, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Computer viking posted:

That's quite impressive handiwork, though.

kev level metal grafting.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

EightBit posted:

I had an NA FC with over 130,000 miles and it had great compression and ran great, didn't even have issues at 3k rpm when the secondary injectors came on, when the car got totalled because a sorority chick panicked in traffic and blocked me. The rotary engines can certainly last a long time, but the average driver will baby their car too much and load them with carbon. I get sad when I'm behind an RX8 being driven slowly, I know it's just dieing a slow death.

My '90 NA FC currently has 224K miles on the original 13B. Still runs smooth and strong. It's the turbo rotaries that have short lifespans. Too much boost or one bit of detonation and out go the apex seals.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Modern direct injection is pretty sophisticated, why not adapt that to the rotary engine? From what I understand, one of the big emissions hurdles with the 13b was the overlap caused by the PP exhaust port and side port intakes. The Renesis engine fixed that by moving both exhaust and intake ports to the irons. If they put DI on the engine, they could go back to the PP exhaust port design, reducing carbon loading issues and making it more exciting, no?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
EDIT: oops, wrong thread.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 17, 2014

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
All of this non-picture rotary-chat is the wrong thread

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Look, a terrible car photo!

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

Preoptopus posted:

Thats nothing. This was famously a story where some guy buys an audi, and after realizing one of the speakers didn't work he took the door panel off to investigate. Upon doing so, he discovered photos and a letter. It said, "Thanks for buying my car, here is some work I did to it...."

It was basically a car he built completely from parts in a junk yard. And painted with the color produced by the jug where they dumped excess paints.
From this:

To This:

More pics and story here
http://englishrussia.com/2009/03/16/car-with-surprise/1/

:psyduck:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Quantrill posted:

The composition of that photo is indeed terrible, however I would unironically drive that daily.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A distant friend of mine installed a new stereo in his car. He was having a lot of trouble with it, but finally got it done! Good for him! The he posted on Facebook about needing a jump.

Me: "Grab an ammeter and check for parasitic draw on the battery. You've been messing around with the wiring and your battery suddenly died -- that smells like a short somewhere."

Him: "Yeah, after the battery died I covered literally every exposed wire in electrical tape. I figured that would help."

I think I found The Previous Owner. I pray for whoever buys that car next.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Quantrill posted:

This guy lives like 2 blocks from me. The Del Sol was way better than the 350 :colbert:

And the license plate is 'OBI SHWN'

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Quantrill posted:

Does he have to step over those cables every time he gets out?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
:10bux: says he jumps in over the door "like a fighter pilot."

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tactical Bonnet posted:

:10bux: says he jumps in over the door "like a fighter pilot."

If you own a convertible and don't do this whenever you get a chance you sound really boring.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Beach Bum posted:

If you own a convertible and don't do this whenever you get a chance you sound like you actually give a poo poo about your vehicle and don't wanna trash the doors and paint just to do some Miami Vice-looking hops into your ride.

I agree.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I think I've found the culprit, one of our own Cycle Asylum inmates:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I heard you guys like welds! So I got more pics of welds!

Welding welding welding welding :supaburn:

Welding welding welding :supaburn:

Welded :tinfoil:

Welded :tinfoil:

Welds :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
About to finish season 2 of racing that sidecar rig. We're still one of the few rigs on the circuit who have not cracked a frame.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

About to finish season 2 of racing that sidecar rig. We're still one of the few rigs on the circuit who have not cracked a frame.

am I missing something or do you guys just not need a suspension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
When the weld joints are flexible, they dissipate the forces that would otherwise be there to stress and crack the frame bars :haw: