Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

lol they released a deck-builder based on Legendary with the aliens license, nerds will eat that poo poo up

ive heard mixed opinions of legendary though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is it fascism yet posted:

stop talking about the other thread all the time.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Impermanent posted:

kill the bad thread and make one thread for designer board games and caylus and one for games that are "fun"

then we'll have posts upon posts lobbying for certain games to be included in the designer category

Tekopo posted:

lol they released a deck-builder based on Legendary with the aliens license, nerds will eat that poo poo up

ive heard mixed opinions of legendary though

based on posts in the other thread and from hearing people talk about it, i think Legendary can be described as a deck builder

not a good/bad/exciting/complex/boring deckbuilder, just.....a deckbuilder.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i mean poo poo, its not the dumpster fire thats the dc deck building game, that game is aggressively bad

why yes, lets make every loving card give you points and make the most powerful cards give you the most points, well designed game, 10/10 :downsbravo:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

some people i know and i like to play the dc deckbuilder because it excites the reptilian part of our brains, but at some point or another i 'played' legendary with others and somehow it accomplished making me feel even less in control than i did when playing the dc one. it was like someone designed a deckbuilder and decided that it needed about 2x as much moving parts with not much more payoff for it, so even though you might have some unique win/loss condition going on and the supervillain's poo poo can change from game to game all you're still really doing is watching bad dudes crawl across a track of which you need to clear out every now and then or bad things will happen. either that or the game fucks you over anyways and just piles poo poo on with no chance of you really being able to do anything about it.

really my biggest impression was that it was way more convoluted than any other deckbuilder i'd ever played but none of it really added to it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i just dislike how dc deckbuilder isnt a deckbuilder in anything but name because there isnt a way to to really plan out your deck unless you wanna fall behind the curve, and then one fucker gets lucky with the villain deck, grabs the card and is immediately better than everyone else on the table, then you get dicked as more villains get revealed because your lovely deck gets poo poo on harder since your cards overall as shittier

it basically becomes about getting lucky enough to draw enough to get the big villains and if you are like 1 less than needed, lol because the rest of your hands are poo poo and you still cant buy what you actually need to win

dc deckbuilder fundamentally misunderstands how deckbuilders are meant to work

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it has a lot more snowbally stuff in it, yeah. kinda sucks for those who don't get a foothold. i'm hoping to get everyone i know into ascension even though the dc game will probably still hold a place occasionally cuz at least with ascension people can work towards certain goals without having to think 'well gently caress i was 1 power short of buying the villain' again for the 9th time.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Legendary is aggressively mediocre. It didnt really break any molds or even bring anything new to the table. Your deck never really builds to a satisfying engine in any of the scenarios I've played.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

i went to a comic book store down the block and they had boardgames but only lovely boardgames, the barnes and noble nearby had better games what the hell hobby store

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lord Frisk posted:

Legendary is aggressively mediocre. It didnt really break any molds or even bring anything new to the table. Your deck never really builds to a satisfying engine in any of the scenarios I've played.

yeah, you just kinda sit there for a couple hours and mess around with the game's definition of 'co-op' using boring cards to buy/defeat other boring cards and then maybe you win. at least with the dc deckbuilder, janky as it can be, you can at least do vaguely interesting things.

legendary was much ado about nothing

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i have a weird stumbling block with deckbuilders where even the ones i like, i dont want to play

dominion was cool when it came out but gently caress playing it live (ie shuffle the loving deck the game)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

otoh concordia loving owns, play concordia, its one of the only games that ive seen 'multiple paths to victory' done right

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*rolls some dice and farts*

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dominion is sorta fun sometimes but it would be better if it had a caylus dropped on it

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

dominion is sorta fun sometimes but it would be better if it had a caylus dropped on it

that's true of almost any game though

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

caylus is the platonic ideal of board games

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

caylus is the platonic ideal of board games

more like totaler krieg

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Have not played my Caylus in two years.

Every night I feel a disapproving stare from the top of my bookshelf.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

more like totaler krieg
we aint talking bout wargames bub

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

we aint talking bout wargames bub

anything else can scarcely be called a game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Panzeh posted:

anything else can scarcely be called a game

if there's not largescale killings of my fellow man it's not worth my time

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

dude i dont mean to break you delusion, but they are cardboard chits

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

otoh concordia loving owns, play concordia, its one of the only games that ive seen 'multiple paths to victory' done right

I played it and found it...okay? I dunno, I get what you're saying with the deckbuilding actually making sense, I just didn't really like the game that *wasn't* the deckbuilding all that much I guess.

I'd probably play it again, I could well have missed quite a bit and it definitely did not turn me off of it at all. Plus, knowing what kinds of upgrade cards and w/e are there would have helped.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i was gonna reversal of fortune and drop a caylus on your avatar but it's just a dark mess and wouldn't deliver well

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
I heard this was the cool thread if I wanna talk about board games on SA because my spouse silvergoose just showed me two pages on the other thread where he got bashed for thinking Dead of Winter kinda blows (it kind of blows, guys).

Confirm/deny? Need to know which thread to bookmark.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
how much did silvergoose pay you to pretend to be his wife

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
nah i'm kidding, we've got everything you need in this thread, memes, gifs, macros, the whole deal!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
are there any board games for unironic natzis such as myself?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The great thing about this thread isn't winning the arguments, but showing everyone online that I have superior tastes.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

stoutfish posted:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
board gaming confession: outside of teaching new people how to play, my last game of caylus was almost 2 years ago

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

stoutfish posted:

barbarossa

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Broken Loose posted:

how much did silvergoose pay you to pretend to be his wife

uhhh the dowry was uhhh I think I had a copy of heroquest? yeah that and dungeon!.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I have never played Caylus, but I want to.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

board gaming confession: outside of teaching new people how to play, my last game of caylus was almost 2 years ago
If you hadn't already changed your King Philip avatar I might have done something much worse, but as it stands I will instead just grimace at you with the deepest scorn imaginable.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
alright cool. does anyone know if Nauticus has a USA release in the works at all? I trolled BGG but can't find any info. maybe there is insider info or better google-fu in this thread (one can hope).

Nauticus ruled. everyone play Nauticus.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Broken Loose posted:

i was gonna reversal of fortune and drop a caylus on your avatar but it's just a dark mess and wouldn't deliver well

to be fair the game it came from is also a dark mess and i think the king would be displeased in any case

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
tekopo thanks for calling out thecosmicmuffet because he really is a loving terrible unfunny poster

Tekopo posted:

i should really like concordia but part of me just doesn't enjoy the whole euro with a ton of bits to set up and move and flip right now

like i look at the cardboard used to randomise city types and ask myself whether I want to spend a lot of money to do all that every game. I'm lazy and I think castles of burgundy made me realise this.

it's a good game though and the scoring mechanism really owns

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I like legendary a lot but I'm not going to argue with anyone saying its bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

It's real swingy and the decisions are super obvious and it's got the ascension style cycling market, but no other game lets me fart around with a bunch of marvel characters and build up combos that give me ridiculous numbers of attack points that satisfy my lizard brain.

• Locked thread