Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
My girlfriend brought just this back from her work

Ionstorm, I know you wanted Slenderman or something cthulu related on the guitar, those fruits look like eldrich horrors to me. Close enough?

The box REEKS too. It's like a diabetic tomcat with kidney failure pissed into a tub of sherbet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
so it smells like four loko?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

so it smells like four loko?

We don't have that in the uk so I had to look it up. Caffinated alchopops is such a perfectly bad idea. We have this weird 'tonic wine' called Buckfast over here, it's made by monks, tastes like children's cough syrup and it's full of caffine, in Scotland they call it 'wreck-the-hoose-juice' because it makes you want to break stuff.

I'll get more pictures of stuff up tomorrow! The pick-guard is wired up. I almost poo poo myself with rage trying to figure the wiring out, but I THINK it's sorted. Waiting for some more PP3 batteries to arrive in the post.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

White Dog Eggs posted:

My girlfriend brought just this back from her work

Ionstorm, I know you wanted Slenderman or something cthulu related on the guitar, those fruits look like eldrich horrors to me. Close enough?

The box REEKS too. It's like a diabetic tomcat with kidney failure pissed into a tub of sherbet.

Cut out 'Smelly Ball' and put it on the headstock.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

We don't have that in the uk so I had to look it up. Caffinated alchopops is such a perfectly bad idea. We have this weird 'tonic wine' called Buckfast over here, it's made by monks, tastes like children's cough syrup and it's full of caffine, in Scotland they call it 'wreck-the-hoose-juice' because it makes you want to break stuff.

to steal a line from neil hamburger, it's like someone dumped powdered lemonade into a trough urinal

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Clitch posted:

People want to create a new classic shape that can't be accused of being just derivative of Fender/Gibson shapes.

This leads to 999 disasters to every success.

yeah the problem is a "new classic shape" looks like this:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sadsack posted:

this, except on the rear trem cover plate instead

because that's where your smelly ball go

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sadsack posted:

It's too big :(, I could probably fit "Smell" on there though...

Dewgy posted:

this, except on the rear trem cover plate instead

because that's where your smelly ball go

Trem cover? Phffft. Everyone knows that you have to remove the trem cover to get better tone (this is actually a thing people believe). I can do that.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
yo his name is iostream.h

tone fruit fret inlays

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

Phffft. Everyone knows that you have to remove the trem cover to get better tone (this is actually a thing people believe).

Remove the truss rod cover while you're at it

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Trem cover? Phffft. Everyone knows that you have to remove the trem cover to get better tone (this is actually a thing people believe). I can do that.
This is true. You remove the trem cover. Then you deck the trem. Then you put the trem cover back on.

Definitely improved the tone on my Strat.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
my trem cavity is full of wood cuttings (probably tone mahogany thanks guitar shop :) ) and tissues to mute the springs

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I blocked the trem with a block of walnut I had left over from making a humidor. I figure it's a pretty good tone wood because I've never heard that humidor sound a bum note.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

SubG posted:

Then you deck the trem.
Negative.
Impossible to do sick dives and crazy poo poo with a decked trem.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

CURIOUSLY STRONG TONE, CURIOUSLY HIGH ACTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oIQ8YMUjUw

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really wish locking trems that had locking levers intead of bolts caught on

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

tacodaemon posted:

lmao loving noob can't say piezo right

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

pfs Write posted:

yo his name is iostream.h

tone fruit fret inlays

Oops. I want to blame autocorrect, so pretend I was phone posting.

I would loving love to use these as fret inlays, I'd have to use a LOT of poly on the fretboard to even out the thickness though. I might take them to a print shop, scan them in and see if I can't get them printed onto a thin plastic sheet.

muike posted:

my trem cavity is full of wood cuttings (probably tone mahogany thanks guitar shop :) ) and tissues to mute the springs

I worked on a guitar where the springs had been covered with epoxy, owner has just brought it and wondered why the whammy was stiff.

SubG posted:

I blocked the trem with a block of walnut I had left over from making a humidor. I figure it's a pretty good tone wood because I've never heard that humidor sound a bum note.

No no no no you see Walnut is only good for bass guitars and only then in a laminate with maple otherwise your tone will be too dark ghkughkjfghjgkfjh.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

muike posted:

lmao loving noob can't say piezo right
She loving nailed that Henry Kaiser solo though.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

tacodaemon posted:

Ahh! I had someone tell me about altoids guitars the other day, I assumed he ment an altoids pickup. Huh.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
For real there's some sick looking walnut tops out there. it's a great wood to go natural with.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

For real there's some sick looking walnut tops out there. it's a great wood to go natural with.

One my favourites, however I can't find nice enough pieces over here in the UK for a reasonable price. There is a guitar I'm making for another goon that's going to be pine with a walnut laminate front and back, I should probably get a move on with that, poor guy has been waiting ages.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Doug from Blackmachine got his hands on something called English bog oak, and from the description it sounds sick, and it's 4000 years old

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i just looked it up and gently caress i wish i had 6 grand, not least because i've wanted a b2 for like 10 years

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

Doug from Blackmachine got his hands on something called English bog oak, and from the description it sounds sick, and it's 4000 years old

I just looked it up and it sounds awesome. holy gently caress is it expensive though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I believe that is the nature of blackmachine.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

I believe that is the nature of blackmachine.

Hah, I actually meant the wood. To get enough to make a top from would be scary amounts, about £200 for a decent thicknessed top.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

I would loving love to use these as fret inlays
Hahaha, that'd be the polar opposite of my recent wish for a blank fretboard, that'd be loving awesome!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I know, I guess I meant both. I'm not sure, but he might make the bodies out of it too, as his bodies are only about 35mm thick

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Somebody make me a scalloped fretless guitar

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
just play with some rounds on a fretless and it'll happen eventually

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThePutty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkkg7vO0FlA

thanks for giving me a reason to post this again

I will never not love this video, I remember someone said "And he's known for playing guitar?" Hahahahaha gently caress Mustaine.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Sire Oblivion posted:

I will never not love this video, I remember someone said "And he's known for playing guitar?" Hahahahaha gently caress Mustaine.

the soundboard version is even better, because there's no excuse of video and sound quality to hear how lovely he is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9sA8XfHwE

i just realized i've made this exact post before but whatever

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Quickscope420dad posted:

yeah the problem is a "new classic shape" looks like this:

Who the gently caress uses Reason?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThePutty posted:

the soundboard version is even better, because there's no excuse of video and sound quality to hear how lovely he is

Someone should just put this as a hidden track on the next Megadeth album.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

ThePutty posted:

".. Maestro Dave Mustaine"

From youtube-user LETTHETORTUREBEGIN

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Sire Oblivion posted:

Someone should just put this as a hidden track on the next Megadeth album.

nobody would even be able to tell the difference between it and the actual songs

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

ThePutty posted:

Dave Mustaine :allears:.

Has he recorded any Christian music yet? That'd be funny as poo poo.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

Dave Mustaine :allears:.

Has he recorded any Christian music yet? That'd be funny as poo poo.

no, but there's plenty of humour in his lyrics

quote:

Burn, baby burn 'cause it feels so good
Burn, baby burn like I knew it would
Fire, I've got the fire
Fire, burning desire my desire to burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Super late to this party (spent the last week+ working through EVERY PAGE OF THIS THREAD).

For the Goontar - do they make any pots that just keep turning continuously; this would be great for the tone control (plus no numbers/indicators, so it's hard to dime the tone without turning just past 10 and resetting it to 0).

And can the knob be super obnoxious like this:

EDIT: updated SUPER PRO GOON TONE VERSION

• Locked thread