Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chief Savage Man posted:

I know that Jarl Dyre's ships go away after thirty years I think.

Dyre the Stranger in Kiev starts with ships?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Are the mercenary fleets even in vanilla? I thought they were a CK2+ thing.

(also, yeah, I can't think of any way to lose Haesteinn's event ships, except that they might go away if he dies or if you accidentally disband them?)

They're definitely in vanilla, yeah.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

Yes. Then you lose them when he dies, so you better take advantage and sack Rome and Venice as much as you can while he lives, while expanding to the sea.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah, they are just hanging out in the river. You have to wait until the Magyars go away to rush to the coast so that you can actually bring home your piles of money.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah. Especially not if your territory is an enclave in theirs. Probably more likely that you'll declare the last guy an antipope.

Well I made an antipope after I took Rome. My dumb uncle is now Paulus II, sitting his gonorrhea-ridden rear end right on St. Peter's throne

Not a great year for Catholicism, all in all.

EDIT: No uh, the old Holy See has sure seen better days:

"Somewhat surprising" is sure one way to describe that.

EDIT2: wait that icon isn't for gonorrhea, it's for...

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2014

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Bort Bortles posted:

Do the free ships that Haestein of Nantes starts with ever go away?

Apparantly they do. After he died, or perhaps I accidentally disbanded them for some reason. I didn't really pay attention when they were gone. I just noticed they weren't there anymore.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

beedeebee posted:

Apparantly they do. After he died, or perhaps I accidentally disbanded them for some reason. I didn't really pay attention when they were gone. I just noticed they weren't there anymore.

I know how you feel. I decided to jump on an opportunity to seize Crete when both counties there rebelled in the midst of a Byzantine civil war. I was so excited at my opportunist genius that I didn't notice I had no boats. It hurt to let them go.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Guildencrantz posted:

And wouldn't you know, the very first reply:

:allears:

Haha, I love it. FYI, they're Christian because in the end, it's going to belong to the Byzantines anyway, it's just the difference between 20 de jure claims and 2 holy wars.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Help! So It's my first time as norse pagan, I managed to snatch up everything belonging to norway, but how should I proceed now? As far as I understood I can declare a subjugation war only ONCE on one leader.

Should I declare war against Svibdsomething oder Jylleland? Jylleland will propably kick my rear end because it has like 5000 troops (vs my 2400), apparently it snatched up england completely. Svidbsomethhing has almost the manpower I have, but is allied with Holmsomething which has about 4500 troops.

If i declare war against one of the smaller independet counties I will loose my subjugation declaration won't I?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

wilbur.walsh posted:

Help! So It's my first time as norse pagan, I managed to snatch up everything belonging to norway, but how should I proceed now? As far as I understood I can declare a subjugation war only ONCE on one leader.

Should I declare war against Svibdsomething oder Jylleland? Jylleland will propably kick my rear end because it has like 5000 troops (vs my 2400), apparently it snatched up england completely. Svidbsomethhing has almost the manpower I have, but is allied with Holmsomething which has about 4500 troops.

If i declare war against one of the smaller independet counties I will loose my subjugation declaration won't I?

Check to see how many counties you still need to form the empire of Scandinavia. Use your subjugation declaration on whichever of those two gets you closer to meeting that goal. Which looks to be svibjod. (Edit: If you can, or need the help get an alliance with Jylleland and bring them into your war on Svibiod.)

Once you form the empire, you should be able to declare on the other or even request they become your vassal because they'll be part of your de jure domain.

Don't worry too much about the alliance with Holmgardr. They look to be far enough away to not be as big of a threat. Or you could try to assassinate whatever is giving that alliance. (Check wives of the kings and direct children. See who married whom and stab the wife.)

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 17, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Or bide your time a little. Norse England usually devolves into a clusterfuck of holy wars and revolts.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Also, while you're subjugating either Denmark or Svibjod, have your chancellor fabricating claims on the capital of the other and press them when you can. Hopefully Norse MA will be high enough that once you've got those three sites you can reform and switch to a succession law that isn't godawful. If not, go raiding and burn some churches and/or take bites out of Ireland to fix that.

While forming Scandinavia should definitely be the long-term plan, don't worry too much about trying to get it done in one lifetime. With the limit on subjugation, the amount of land needed, and how much of a pain in the rear end Finland is to take over between its weird internal borders, Suomenusko defensive bonuses, and the pagan attrition penalties if you're reformed when you do it, you'll probably need another ruler before you get the imperial crown unless Haraldr lives ridiculously long.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

wilbur.walsh posted:

As far as I understood I can declare a subjugation war only ONCE on one leader.

Yes and no. With the 'Become King of X' ambition, you can declare subjugation wars against everyone inside that kingdom. If you don't have that ambition, or if you're declaring a subjugation on someone not inside that kingdom, you can only do a single one per ruler.

In your particular case, I would probably go for Sweden first, while fabricating a claim on the capital of Denmark. You can then use the additional levies from Sweden to take on Denmark and grab that third holy site.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Corbeau posted:

Or bide your time a little. Norse England usually devolves into a clusterfuck of holy wars and revolts.

While yes, this will happen to most AIs, the question isn't really on who he CAN declare on but who he SHOULD. Honestly he could probably take both of them since half the troops of Jylleland will be stuck over in England for several months only to be shipped over in batches of 500 because the AI is really dumb like that sometimes.

But Svibjob will get him closer to the empire title since they have more counties in that title. Then he can turn around and take Jylleland or at least the holy site so he can reform the faith.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Chief Savage Man posted:

e: What would happen if an event fleet disappeared with troops on it?

(Your troops probably just disappear. The screenshot has nothing to do with fleets disappearing, also had it happen in the Aral Sea)

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Man, how many times do I have to butcher the Knights Templar? I'm currently trying to force Britain to bend the knee to Odin, but I'm constantly facing 6k+ stacks of holy orders after my armies are already depleted from fighting their regular troops. :saddowns:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Do we have a CK2 modding thread?

If not, how should I get started if I'd like to mod a fantasy map of mine (purely for personal pleasure of seeing simulated feudalism in a world I've built)?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Just bought this on the Gamefly sale, and some of the DLC. Should I start in 867 or 1066 for my first-ever game?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

VostokProgram posted:

Just bought this on the Gamefly sale, and some of the DLC. Should I start in 867 or 1066 for my first-ever game?

1066 Ireland is a great start.

And here is the gold standard of CK2 tutorials/lets play. A lot has changed, detail wise, from when this LP was made, but it is a great road map to follow along. Try to navigate a bunch of medieval laws and rules is daunting for your first play through.
http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Captain Beans posted:

1066 Ireland is a great start.

And here is the gold standard of CK2 tutorials/lets play. A lot has changed, detail wise, from when this LP was made, but it is a great road map to follow along. Try to navigate a bunch of medieval laws and rules is daunting for your first play through.
http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Thanks for the quick response. Ireland it is!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

wilbur.walsh posted:

Release some Swedish stuff to get under 40 holdings and declare invasion on which ever Karling owns Frisia. THEN Subjugate either Sweden or Denmark. This route is high risk high payoff because you are painting a target on yourself by taking mainland stuff, but if you can subjugate and consolidate quickly you can never be touched again. Also you can probably immediately reform the faith.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've been trying an 867 start as the Byzantines to get the SPQR/Roman Empire achievements. I've been just tunnel-visioning and minding my own business, finally got all the Roman duchies except for Alexandria and Tunis, and I figure "hey I'll zoom out to see how the world looks."

Apparently Hungary subjugated Cumania because now Hungary literally stretches from Hungary proper and off the right side of the map. :negative: drat it this is going to be trouble!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Random idea I had while driving for the apoc USA mod. A cult that arises around the legacy of King Martin, a hero from the past who led his people to freedom and was martyred. Could come up with parallels to Jesus and recast some of MLK's efforts as parables. Holy sites in Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham, Washington, and Chicago.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That sounds a little tasteless, but if you're going to do it, make the Black Panthers the religious holy order.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
How is it tasteless? The man was a spiritual leader and his legacy can be found on street signs and park names all over. I don't think it's too wild to imagine post apocalyptic people who lost that history to somehow discover copies of his sermons and speeches that become a kind of scripture and the inspiration for a movement. And the story of his struggles against the provincial governors and leaders of the long dead American empire ending in his martyrdom. Just a suggestion that I think could make for an interesting dynamic in the region.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've been (somewhat erratically) enforcing a "no post-WWII references" rule with the mod, as I've been trying to avoid establishing when or what the apocalypse was. Any clues as to what's still historical from the Cold War and what's missing would cause people to try and suss that out on their own.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
That's fair. The potential of MLK as a messianic figure just came to me during an interview where somebody described him as a prophet. Felt like I'd be remiss not to suggest it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been (somewhat erratically) enforcing a "no post-WWII references" rule with the mod, as I've been trying to avoid establishing when or what the apocalypse was. Any clues as to what's still historical from the Cold War and what's missing would cause people to try and suss that out on their own.

Ah but by inferring nothing after WWII can only mean that America's bombing of Japan had far graver repercussions than in our world. There was no Cold War because it went hot.

Interesting development, please excuse me while I go write up a five-hundred page backstory for how this Hot War was executed.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Thanks for the quick response. Ireland it is!

A more up to date series, and not in the terribly outdated format of screenshots, would also be Arumba's tutorial series. He basically goes through every mechanic he can, explaining it all fairly well.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBBUYoAjpLxFkbgFw19CeA_

I really recommend everyone in here watch it actually. It explains so many things. Dude knows his CK2.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Another Person posted:

A more up to date series, and not in the terribly outdated format of screenshots, would also be Arumba's tutorial series. He basically goes through every mechanic he can, explaining it all fairly well.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBBUYoAjpLxFkbgFw19CeA_

I really recommend everyone in here watch it actually. It explains so many things. Dude knows his CK2.

I've never used arumba for CK2, but his videos were perfect learning EU4 when it was brand new and he's considered to be a better CK2 player. His videos are good.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Chief Savage Man posted:

e: What would happen if an event fleet disappeared with troops on it?

From a page back, they go away when you die (like Haesteinn's) but if you have troops on the boats when you die you get to keep the boats :)
This also works to get free, no upkeep boats from your prepared invasion. Just load your troops onto your boat stack before declaring peace and you keep them all. (I assume there have to be some non-PI event generated troops in there because those will still disappear)

wilbur.walsh posted:

If you want to be sneaky, since in this game Jorvik didn't get either of it's other dejure counties before Jylland invaded England, and assuming Whiteshirt hasn't created the Jarldom of Northumberland, you could subjugate Jylland in England (once you think you can take him) and then usurp the jarldom of Jorvik which will shatter his realm into a bunch of counts. As long as the counts are norse/norse they will accept vassalization since you are a king and share borders with them.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Release some Swedish stuff to get under 40 holdings and declare invasion on which ever Karling owns Frisia. THEN Subjugate either Sweden or Denmark. This route is high risk high payoff because you are painting a target on yourself by taking mainland stuff, but if you can subjugate and consolidate quickly you can never be touched again. Also you can probably immediately reform the faith.

This is actually fairly similar to what I like to do whenever I'm doing a Norse game with Haraldr:

1) Subjugate enough of Norway to be one button click away from creating Norway.
2) Create Norway. Immediately declare a prepared Invasion on Frisia, which should be available because the realm is still small enough.
3) Vassalize all the remaining Norwegian chiefs as well as any other independent chiefs bordering Norway. They will usually accept the vassalization in spite of not being De Jure Norway due to having the same culture and your relative difference in power.

I know it's gamey as gently caress, but it's usually helped me get enough event troops and levies to take Frisia in one fell swoop, after which subjugating Sweden and reforming the faith is a piece of cake.

The only problem with reforming the faith this early is that in order to create Scandinavia you'll need to do the rest of the work through the traditional marriage game/fabricating claims against your fellow Norse faithful. Also, the moment you reform your stacks will start suffering from the Pagan homeland attrition penalty, which means that Holy Warring the Finns is usually going to be a chore (especially since all their neighbors will usually join the Holy War).

e: I'm at that point in my Italia game where I'm just doing random stupid poo poo in between expanding my Empire into North Africa. So I decided to Invade the Holy Roman Empire with my vassal Pope's permission and Balkanize it. If you like pretty borders, don't look: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=315297120

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 18, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think borders like that are fine. It's big Europe spanning blobs with ugly patches all over the map that look bad. For pete's sake, people, tidy up your poo poo before expanding.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Thx for all the replies. My game is going well to your advice. Right now I am emperor of Scandinavia and king of Norway, Finnland and Sweden, only Danemark has a vassal king.

Right now my successor law is Elective for all my Kingdoms. What's the best way to keep my empire united under my lineage? I'd like to change it to Primogeniture, because it would be less of an hastle. Right now I didn't create any dukes because i didn't want to create more electoral titles, I am scared that they wouldn't vote for my sons.

wilbur.walsh fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 18, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just completely destroyed the city of Paris. Goddamn I love that feature.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Larry Parrish posted:

I just completely destroyed the city of Paris. Goddamn I love that feature.

How do you actually get that to work, anyway? I don't think I've ever seen it happen except to holdings that are still under construction.

Do you need to siege down every holding in the province?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Are the mercenary fleets even in vanilla? I thought they were a CK2+ thing.

(also, yeah, I can't think of any way to lose Haesteinn's event ships, except that they might go away if he dies or if you accidentally disband them?)

They were CK2+ but they were one of Wiz's favourite things. After all most crusades got to the holy land using mercenery ships. So he added them when he became a dev, I guess.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Autonomous Monster posted:

How do you actually get that to work, anyway? I don't think I've ever seen it happen except to holdings that are still under construction.

Do you need to siege down every holding in the province?

You can randomly destroy a sub-holding when raiding.(I've only seen it happen to churches and cities, never castles). The chance of it happening seems pretty low, though. I've only had it happen like 5 or 6 times.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

You can randomly destroy a sub-holding when raiding.(I've only seen it happen to churches and cities, never castles). The chance of it happening seems pretty low, though. I've only had it happen like 5 or 6 times.

I think the way it works is, a successful siege during a raid will destroy a random building in a holding. If there are no buildings to be destroyed, the entire holding is instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

What, an entire build chain or just one building level? Because. We're talking dozens upon dozens of raids just to kill a single holding here.

e:

The Witch-King posted:

We're aware of some issues with the South Slavic religion setup as shown in the screenshots and improvements will be made to it before release (yes, this means more Pagans).

Looks like the south Slavs will be pagan for Big Chuck.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 18, 2014

• Locked thread