Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I picked up Always Sometimes Monsters and I'm digging it; I take it it's kind of a CYOA-style deal with multiple outcomes and I'm curious how its going to implement it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Unlucky7 posted:

I know this has already been answered, but is Disciples 3 Gold, in the humble bundle, the unfucked one?

You want D:Reincarnation, whichever that one is.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ZearothK posted:

Turns out this will be every character in my party.

This doesn't work so well because there aren't actually very many skulls in the game. It's good to take ONE minotaur with it, but not more.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Justin Godscock posted:

I picked up Always Sometimes Monsters and I'm digging it; I take it it's kind of a CYOA-style deal with multiple outcomes and I'm curious how its going to implement it.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the side jobs are extremely monotonous and grindy (by design) but at the same time can trivialize the rest of the game if you really stick to them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just got two 75% off Memoria coupons for no reason. Is it any good?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Acquire Currency! posted:

You don't have to.
You don't have to buy the video game.

But... but... I have to know. I never had a console from the previous generation and now I have to know the truth about Final Fantasy 13.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Watch an LP, pretty sure all 3 games have been covered by goons.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

But... but... I have to know. I never had a console from the previous generation and now I have to know the truth about Final Fantasy 13.

I'm probably gonna pick up XIII-2 because that's the one where they fixed the battle system and basically turned it into Pokemon. Also it's weird as hell in every way possible, especially the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DurcdkTvO3c

Ed:

Accordion Man posted:

Don't buy 13, buy 4 instead.

Already have it on DS.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 18, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Don't buy 13, buy 4 instead.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I just got two 75% off Memoria coupons for no reason. Is it any good?

It's a pretty good adventure game brought down slightly by a mediocre dubbing job due to using German actors (not as bad as many, but still a bit weak.)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I heard it was just running down corridors for hours and hours...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm probably gonna pick up XIII-2 because that's the one where they fixed the battle system and basically turned it into Pokemon. Also it's weird as hell in every way possible, especially the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DurcdkTvO3c

That sounds like a slightly mellower version of The Kovenant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLvDTmEb98

Definitely a weird choice for a JRPG.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
We just need a bunch of orchestral Nachtmahr songs and any jrpg'd be game of the year.

When I bought my PS3 I also had FF13. What a crock of poo poo it was; this coming from someone who loved the gently caress out of FF6 & FF8, enjoyed FF9, and thought FF10 was also pretty darn good.

I never made it very far in 13, but I sold it to one of my employees for $5 and didn't feel ripped off.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 18, 2014

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
I really want to buy Eldritch off the humble store but for some reason the store page won't load :(

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Dominic White posted:

That sounds like a slightly mellower version of The Kovenant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLvDTmEb98

Definitely a weird choice for a JRPG.

It's not even the weirdest one in the game. That would be Worlds Collide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5vsL0A-EY

FFXIII-2 was a weird game and I can respect that weirdness. Even if the plot was trash.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

It pretty much is.

Every area in the game (save one near the end) is basically a thinly disguised corridor you travel down from point A to B, with an occasional side path that has a single treasure chest or something. There are very few NPCs to interact with and the game does a poor job of building its world (most info is in an ME-style codex, but entire PLOT POINTs are hidden in there.) The plot is completely nonsensical as, reportedly, all of the cutscenes were made before the plot was even hammered out into a final version.

The characters are okay. Typical JRPG fare. Soundtrack and graphics are really good, as expected of Square.

The combat system is weirdly both fun and boring at the same time as battles are 70% preparation, 30% execution.

XIII-2 improves on things in pretty much every way except for barely touching the cast of the first installment. I couldn't get into Lightning Returns at all as I really didn't like the demo.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Well it's a JRPG so yeah

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Which is the Final Fantasy that lets you dress your character up in crazy outfits and go into cutscenes with them? Cause that's the one I want.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

Which is the Final Fantasy that lets you dress your character up in crazy outfits and go into cutscenes with them? Cause that's the one I want.

Lighting Returns is the dress-up one. XIII-2 has costumes, but I believe they're all DLC and not great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the best character in ff13 is the literal child who cries in every cutscene and never does anything proactive at any point

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The FF13 series is flawed for sure, but interesting. The first game had a cool combat engine and fantastic art direction, but the story didn't know what to do with itself. The second game went all Bizarro Chrono Trigger and opened things up somewhat, and the third game just went completely and utterly bonkers in every respect, with one of the most surreal and nonsensical stories in videogame history.

If nothing else, they'll look fantastic at 1080p/60fps on modern PCs. Hopefully they throw some extra shiny effects at them, too.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

the best character in ff13 is the literal child who cries in every cutscene and never does anything proactive at any point

Hey, his mom died.

...but named him Hope, and her name was the same name as the ragtag terrorist group, NORA.

SYMBOLISM!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I recently was playing Final Fantasy 7 when it occurred to me how simple it was. If you took out the battle system, which is no more than a series of menus over a big fancy video, you would essentially have an oldschool point-and-click adventure game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I recently was playing Final Fantasy 7 when it occurred to me how simple it was. If you took out the battle system, which is no more than a series of menus over a big fancy video, you would essentially have an oldschool point-and-click adventure game.

What kind of oldschool point-and-click adventure games did you play that just consisted of talking to NPCs in series to advance the plot

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

ChrisAsmadi posted:

When the heck did thac0 become a selling point?

You don't deserve to call your game a true descendant of Wizardry without it. :colbert:

Tomorrow's my day off, Elminage gonna own.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

What kind of oldschool point-and-click adventure games did you play that just consisted of talking to NPCs in series to advance the plot

Um. Most of them? I guess it's more akin to a visual novel.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

Lighting Returns is the dress-up one. XIII-2 has costumes, but I believe they're all DLC and not great.

It still weirds me out that mass effect of all things got a crossover dlc armor thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7QZTdPAePU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think Assassin's Creed did too, if I'm not mistaken.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

:cawg: Whatever bit this is, keep it up

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

I think Assassin's Creed did too, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, Noel has an Ezio DLC costume. I think Assassin's creed did a Metal Gear costume at one point as well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lance Streetman posted:

Yeah, Noel has an Ezio DLC costume. I think Assassin's creed did a Metal Gear costume at one point as well.

Yeah, Snake got an Altair outfit in MGS4 and Ezio got a cyborg Raiden costume in AC: Brotherhood (as well as a goofy MGS shoutout in one cutscene). And then Peacewalker had a box (actually a bale of hay) that you had to enter via a leap of faith in order to unlock, at which point you could sneak around with it and do the AC hiding spot takedown.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 18, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Lord Lambeth posted:

It still weirds me out that mass effect of all things got a crossover dlc armor thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7QZTdPAePU

God those swords. :allears: if lightning returns lets me battle crazy angel demons while dressed like a buffoon wielding huge flowery swords, than that's the game for me.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

How is Xenonauts?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Um. Most of them? I guess it's more akin to a visual novel.

Ok so if you're talking about visual novels I'll believe you because when it comes to old school adventure games I don't think there's a single one that just had you talking to NPCs and not doing puzzles and poo poo with item combinations

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yaws posted:

How is Xenonauts?

By most accounts it's a great transition of Old XCOM to modern day. However, I've heard that it suffers in some fashion and feels a tad soulless.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
half a day until elminage im super psyched

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Looks like Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut was released a day earlier than I was expecting! Anyone with Dragonfall should find it in their games library now. I'm installing it right this second.

I really like the look of the new UI in this version. Looks a lot more like modern XCom, which is hardly a bad thing.

corn in the bible posted:

half a day until elminage im super psyched

Half a day til' Elminage, then another half-day until Wasteland 2. loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The Sun at Night is a pretty cool game, and if you bought the Groupees Greenlight bundle it was in I'd give it a try. Just be warned the map sucks.

• Locked thread