Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Seconding the buy a gas dryer, they have way lower operating costs and will cost way less then adding a 220 outlet. If you had a king size bed and it didn't fit in your new bedroom would you expand the house or buy a queen bed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Elephanthead posted:

Seconding the buy a gas dryer, they have way lower operating costs and will cost way less then adding a 220 outlet. If you had a king size bed and it didn't fit in your new bedroom would you expand the house or buy a queen bed?

Demand the sellers pay for it, either way

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The real estate disclosure form we are filling out to sell asks if we have any Boundary Agreements. Does that include the electrical company's easement? Google isn't turning up any answers.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

If you had a king size bed and it didn't fit in your new bedroom would you expand the house or buy a queen bed?

The answer is "saw the box spring in half to get it up the stairs". I had to do that for my queen size bed at my house.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Well done, sir. :golfclap:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The real estate disclosure form we are filling out to sell asks if we have any Boundary Agreements. Does that include the electrical company's easement? Google isn't turning up any answers.

Disclose the easement :)

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Based on a brief google, I am going to say not, but the easement should be disclosed somewhere.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

gvibes posted:

Based on a brief google, I am going to say not, but the easement should be disclosed somewhere.

That was my thought too, but I don't see anywhere to disclose it. I'll ask my realtor.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I bought an electric dryer but that is because I plan to do solar in the next few years. You can't make your own gas.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chin Strap posted:

I bought an electric dryer but that is because I plan to do solar in the next few years. You can't make your own gas.

:smug: I can

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

See if you can work out some on-site storage capability so the natural gas is covered by the home warranty.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

uwaeve posted:

See if you can work out some on-site storage capability so the natural gas is covered by the home warranty.

He has all this empty space where the fridge should be, so he has plenty of storage.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chin Strap posted:

I did too and then the utility company cancelled all rebates for home solar!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I did too and then the utility company cancelled all rebates for home solar!

Ours are trying to charge people with solar power a poo poo ton extra!

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/09/16/1330250/-Wisconsin-energy-company-trying-to-make-solar-less-affordable?detail=facebook

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jastiger posted:

bah. All you mofo's like "bloo bloo its just a fridge" can eat it. This is becoming a huge stress point for us since we literally need to find a fridge before we move in, and the one we had found is too big. We really should have fought for more cash for a replacement. Its becoming a headache.

hahahaha

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I use propane for heat, the dryer, hot water, and the stove. On Monday, the tank was empty. This made me mad because we are on auto delivery. So I call the propane company.

"We show you should have 125 gallons based on your usage. We will send a truck out right away and fill your tank, pressure test your system, and light your pilot lights."

So the guy comes, and he's really cool. Then he informs me "your system is not holding pressure. That's bad. I need to call in Service."

Service comes out. "I've tested the regulators. It's a leak in your underground line. You own the line, not us" OK, fine. I start digging up 45 feet of buried line looking for connections while he drives back to his shop to get a temp tank for me."

I did like a madman, leaving a 2 foot deep trench. Turns out I have multiple leaks.

Service guy says "Wow that's a lot of digging. It's too many leaks to repair. You need a new plastic line. It's 4 bucks a foot, and we have to pull a permit to do it. And the fire department has to inspect it too.

:awesomelon:

My wife calls my cell. I give her the bad news. Her reply,

"Why don't you just have them put in a new tank that is below ground and not ugly?"

:bang:

So I call a contractor I know. $700 bucks to dig the hole, $200 to backfill it with sand.

the TLDR version:

My propane line broke, 400 dollars of propane went up in invisible smoke, and I'm paying $1500 to fix it. Home ownershop!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

Home ownershop!

Beautiful summary, sir.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Look on the bright side. With that size of a propane leak, you could have had a major fire or explosion.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So in summary the joy of homeownership in the last page or so includes the all so common tasks of, replacing a broken fridge on zero days notice or suffer no cold food or drinks, throwing out a perfectly good dryer and buying a new one, and spending a day digging a 45 foot long trench and still spending $1,500 after doing all that work. Living the dream!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Look on the bright side. With that size of a propane leak, you could have had a major fire or explosion.

"Custom flame heated porch for the family to gather around at night"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
So I've got an update on the fridge situation.
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/crime/police-blotters/man-accused-of-calling-911-to-complain-about-not-having-refrigerator-1.373192

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Oh man, I wanna probate you so bad for thread-reading failure. Lucky for you I'm in a good mood. :cheeky:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

slap me silly posted:

Oh man, I wanna probate you so bad for thread-reading failure. Lucky for you I'm in a good mood. :cheeky:

Hey I know the fridge situation has been resolved with a $500 used fridge, but I needed an outlet after reading all of that. :shobon:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It was more that I Like Turtles beat you to that link last night. Other than that, good find though! :)

E: also pls continue to post things

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 18, 2014

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

slap me silly posted:

It was more that I Like Turtles beat you to that link last night. Other than that, good find though! :)

E: also pls continue to post things

Well in that case I'm a drat idiot for missing that. For that I apologise.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Aw, I am just picking on you for no good reason. Getting back on topic, does anyone have any experience shopping for property in a "soft" market? I.e. driving distance from a major city but out at the county line where turnover is low and pot and meth production are part of the scene. Not that I am into pot or meth production, I just like trees.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The local issue with meth here is that if there is a likelihood of meth production people get the house tested before purchasing. There have been a number of unlucky buyers that have had to redo their interior to remove a variety of toxic chemicals from their just purchased house.

You'll get the same issues that you would in a not so soft market with people sticking to a minimum price they'd be prepared to part with the property. My brother-in-law is having issues purchasing an adjacent farm because the family still wants too much for the farm, and that value is more emotional that anything else.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I have a question about TITLE DEFECTS

We're about ready to buy this foreclosed house from the REO bank, but there are two issues raised by the title report

1) The final foreclosure paperwork was filed 2 months after the assigned foreclosure closing date, and no one seems to know why. This was 2 years ago, and the attorney that filed this foreclosure has retired

2) The attorney filing the paperwork failed to file an affirmation proclaiming that the REO bank has all rights to the title, in violation of a state law that was passed just a few weeks earlier

We have offers for title insurance despite these defects. Our loan officer is suggesting that we'll still have our loan approved since there aren't any liens on the property and the title record is otherwise clean, we just have some hosed up paperwork. However, I'd still like to know what this means for us, as the potential owners. Is this going to make the house extremely hard for us to sell in the future? If we purchase this house, do we need to consider filing an action to quiet title, and will that even help?

:siren: We are already seeking an attorney to help us understand our situation better, but I'd like to see if anyone in the thread has suggestions, advice, or comments.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

slap me silly posted:

Aw, I am just picking on you for no good reason. Getting back on topic, does anyone have any experience shopping for property in a "soft" market? I.e. driving distance from a major city but out at the county line where turnover is low and pot and meth production are part of the scene. Not that I am into pot or meth production, I just like trees.

I bought a house out in the country about 20 miles outside of Madison, WI, give or take. I have about an acre. We don't really have meth out here and people just grow pot in their basement so maybe I don't meet your criteria but if you have any more specific questions I might be able to help I guess?

Edit: I took this picture in my backyard tonight:

ssb fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 18, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

So in summary the joy of homeownership in the last page or so includes the all so common tasks of, replacing a broken fridge on zero days notice or suffer no cold food or drinks, throwing out a perfectly good dryer and buying a new one, and spending a day digging a 45 foot long trench and still spending $1,500 after doing all that work. Living the dream!

Actually he hasn't moved in yet and has had plenty of time to buy a fridge.
There is a thing you can do with perfectly good appliances that you don't need any more, besides just throwing them in the garbage.
The trench thing is... well, yeah. Stuff buried in the ground can break and it's expensive. I am now saying my daily prayer that my cast iron sewer line continues to drain away my poo poo without clogging up too bad.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Leperflesh posted:

Stuff buried in the ground can break and it's expensive. I am now saying my daily prayer that my cast iron sewer line continues to drain away my poo poo without clogging up too bad.
From multiple neighbors, I've been advised to regularly empty my early 70's installed septic tank to keep it in top-top shape, as the moment I call anyone for any septic-problems, said service/contractors will refuse to touch me before I install a new, modern system to the tune of $30k.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

In my fun homeownership news, I thought my wife ran the dishwasher a few days ago and we didn't make many dishes so I didn't empty it for a few more days, so I opened it up this morning and it looks like a loving Louisiana swamp with mold that looks like spanish moss hanging all over the loving place. Cleaning this is going to suck so much.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I am now saying my daily prayer that my cast iron sewer line continues to drain away my poo poo without clogging up too bad.

I just replaced mine for about $275. Only the first 10 feet from the tank toward the leech field should be cast iron, after that it should be PVC. Dig it up, smash it with a bar to break the coupling, yank it out, and put in a new PVC (glue and new coupling) and then slap on a new PVC T-adapter inside the tank which will be the new baffle.

The $275 was mostly paying a guy down the road to come dig with his mini-excavator for an hour and then fill it back in an hour later.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

In my fun homeownership news, I thought my wife ran the dishwasher a few days ago and we didn't make many dishes so I didn't empty it for a few more days, so I opened it up this morning and it looks like a loving Louisiana swamp with mold that looks like spanish moss hanging all over the loving place. Cleaning this is going to suck so much.

:stonk:

If you got mold in your dishwasher like that after just a few days, you might have a bigger problem than just cleaning the dishwasher.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

a shameful boehner posted:

:stonk:

If you got mold in your dishwasher like that after just a few days, you might have a bigger problem than just cleaning the dishwasher.

Yeah this. You shouldn't have mold in there after a few days. It will reek, but not MOLD. Bad news bears.

In MY news, we got approved for the VA loan. Yay.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

I just replaced mine for about $275. Only the first 10 feet from the tank toward the leech field should be cast iron, after that it should be PVC. Dig it up, smash it with a bar to break the coupling, yank it out, and put in a new PVC (glue and new coupling) and then slap on a new PVC T-adapter inside the tank which will be the new baffle.

The $275 was mostly paying a guy down the road to come dig with his mini-excavator for an hour and then fill it back in an hour later.

MY cast iron sewer pipe runs from under my house at least 100 feet out at an angle to the sewer line buried under the street. This path takes it directly under my sycamore, which is a goddamn stupid tree to plant in california anyway, being a thirsty tree with water-seeking roots, and even worse to plant directly over a cast iron sewer line, since these types of lines just have press-together fittings that easily yield to root intrusion.

Right now an annual cleanout pulls out the small roots that intrude in the pipe and it continues to work. If and when I have to replace it, I might go with this newfangled "trenchless" replacement, which will be expensive but not as expensive as having my tree removed (although I might do that anyway). This is a 60' mature sycamore that was probably planted when our housing development was built in the late 50s; they seem to be pretty common in my neighborhood.

e. Oh by the way, if I do have my line replaced, I will probably have to pay to have part of the street and sidewalk torn up unless trenchless can avoid that. I checked and even though that part of the line is under city property, it's my responsibility. :negative:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Yeah this. You shouldn't have mold in there after a few days. It will reek, but not MOLD. Bad news bears.

In MY news, we got approved for the VA loan. Yay.

It's more like the better part of a week. And yes something is a bit concerning about this but I have a suspicion that something moldy was put into the dishwasher. Does anyone know anything about mold that looks kind of like spanish moss but is light grey? It's all stringy and loving disgusting.

Edit: Maybe it's more of a whiteish color? I don't know? I'll see if I can get a picture if I missed some of it. It's almost cobwebby in composition. I used a stick and got most of it out that way but I haven't worked all that hard at it yet so I may have missed some. The reckoning comes tonight with some sort of super strong bleach cleaner I guess.

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 18, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

shortspecialbus posted:

It's more like the better part of a week. And yes something is a bit concerning about this but I have a suspicion that something moldy was put into the dishwasher. Does anyone know anything about mold that looks kind of like spanish moss but is light grey? It's all stringy and loving disgusting.

Edit: Maybe it's more of a whiteish color? I don't know? I'll see if I can get a picture if I missed some of it. It's almost cobwebby in composition. I used a stick and got most of it out that way but I haven't worked all that hard at it yet so I may have missed some. The reckoning comes tonight with some sort of super strong bleach cleaner I guess.

Make your wife do it *bwahahaha*. She is responsible, no?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Make your wife do it *bwahahaha*. She is responsible, no?

Maybe, it may have been my mother-in-law when she was staying with us for a bit before she went back to Poland last weekend. We both thought it had been run and we only made a few dishes in the meanwhile so we were lazy about it and now we're both paying. I'm gonna deal with the dishwasher and she's going to hand wash the poo poo out of all the dishes. And I think we're agreeing to make sure dishes are loaded into the dishwasher nightly no matter how few there are. Serves us right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

shortspecialbus posted:

Wouldn't the easiest resolution to this to be just run an empty sanitizing cycle with some bleach?
But yeah, stringy moss sounds super weird.