Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I hate editorials like this. They always have to mention an old gem of wisdom passed down and also alludes to China's 5000 yo history. It's so formulaic like somebody taught a specific way to execute essays and now everyone has to put a proverb in there and reference 5000 years. It's like a Bill Simmons article mentioning 90210, Larry Bird and Tom Brady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

Hi guys just dropping by to remind you China sucks.
You have hurt the feelings of the Chinese people

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

Where is the respect for Egypt's 5000 year old literary tradition?

In the British museum, well-studied and respected. Story of Sinuhe in the house

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JaucheCharly posted:

How did Bloodnose put it? Orc Warboss-land. I will never be able to get that out of my head.

I feel like China would be improved by going back to the Warring States period. More exciting, in any case

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I feel like China would be improved by going back to the Warring States period. More exciting, in any case

Interesting*

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

systran posted:

Imagine if America or Europe underwent the industrial and technological revolution in less than fifty years. You can stop imagining, as a place like this exists: it's my country. In China, someone born on a poor farm in Liaoning can go on to own a luxury car in a cosmopolitan metropolis such as Shanghai. Some people say that the American dream is dead, but in fact it lives on. In China. While China has its fair share of problems--and what country doesn't?--this quickly developing country is also ripe with many exciting opportunities for people from all walks of life.

Zhang Zhihong, 38, types on his smartphone while sipping tea poured from an Xixing pot. He is dictating to his secretary regarding the closing of a big business deal. Everything is on the line, but Mr. Zhang still has time for tea. His secretary tells him the client's new request for their advertising campaign. "Mao Dun!" Zhihong yells. It references a tale from China's rich literary tradition which spans 5,000 years: a tale of a merchant selling both impenetrable shields and spears that can pierce any armor. What if the spear were used against the shield? Mao Dun--spear, shield: contradiction. Zhihong doesn't like the client's suggestion and feels it is hypocritical. He opens a tab on his phone's browser and sets out to research a new strategy. The waitress pours him a new cup of tea. This contrast of traditional Chinese culture and modern technology is par for the course in my country.

Little Lei, 8, lives in rural Henan. His shoes are falling apart, but he's happy to have a full plate of food every day and parents who love him. In fact, almost his whole family lives in the same village, and they often meet together to gossip over a plate of cool watermelons. Little Lei doesn't usually understand the gossip, but he loves getting attention from his grandparents and aunts and uncles. Not everyone in Little Lei's family lives in the village: his paternal uncle made it big in Zhengzhou, and he's visiting today. Uncle Xie rolls into the village in his own car. It's shiny black all over except where dirt from the village road has soiled the area around the tyres. "Nephew!" Uncle Xie says, holding a bag. When Little Lei asks if his uncle brought him any gifts, Xie opens a box of fresh Nike sneakers, and Little Lei has a great day.

Jian Liyan, 19, has passed the National Higher Education Entrance Exam with flying colors and is now studying at Zhejiang University. As part of the freshman curriculum, new students are given the opportunity to take part in military exercises during their first summer break. Liyan crawls under an obstacle, then sprints across the field before scurrying up a wooden board with small footholds. Thousands of other students are by her side learning what it takes to serve in the People's Liberation Army. A girl doing military drills? Isn't China still developing? Well, while countries like the United States or Canada didn't have equal rights for women until the late 70's, with New China all genders were given full equality more than seventy years ago! Through the military exercises, these students are learning what it means for China to become a superpower, and what PLA soldiers must sacrifice in order to keep my country safe. The students are also strengthening their bodies to be in great shape both mentally and physically for their second year of university.

Yes, while China is developing very fast--and with that comes many advantages and disadvantages--I think that the advantages are so great that you must focus on the positive. All countries have their problems, some worse than others, but to see what my country has achieved in so little time is very amazing and makes me feel a great sense of patriotism. Maybe in your country patriotism is not held in high esteem, or maybe it's even seen as a bad thing, but in my language patriotism is "Ai Guo" which simply means "Love of my country," and I think loving what my country has done is the most patriotic action I can take.

Loving what your country has done is the most patriotic action you can take? That's just a bad statement.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

systran posted:

Maybe in your country patriotism is not held in high esteem, or maybe it's even seen as a bad thing, but in my language patriotism is "Ai Guo" which simply means "Love of my country," and I think loving what my country has done is the most patriotic action I can take.

My country also had some great success with exporting it's patriotism. Much love was felt about how awesome it was and how fast it developed. You probably know how that story ended. See how fast these funny moustaches and the colour brown went out of style.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

My country also had some great success with exporting it's patriotism. Much love was felt about how awesome it was and how fast it developed. You probably know how that story ended. See how fast these funny moustaches and the colour brown went out of style.

WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU EVEN SAYING, poo poo.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chickenwalker posted:

I think he was talking about Germany.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chickenwalker posted:

:godwin:

Seriously though, I do look around at all the problems the US has and then remember that investment bankers can close lucrative, poor people crushing deals while doing coke off of a high class call girls tits, and I'm reassured that my country is worth being proud of.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Chickenwalker posted:

Didn't see that one coming, funny old chum. Ja?!? :hitler:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think he was talking about Germany.

Or pre-WW1 England. Or prewar America. Really, tan fits plenty of nationalistic powers.

E: Possibly even Japanese nationalism!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
China could learn a thing or two from Germany about Vergangenheitsbewältigung

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Those countries never made a moustache style go out of fashion, though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You nailed the self-congratulatory style probably adopted from propaganda textbooks btw. The twisting everything back to a "we should" statement at the end despite that making no sense for the thesis is every composition you'll ever see. I may also steal it because is technically competent but full of mistakes that Chinese students have been taught to make.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

You nailed the self-congratulatory style probably adopted from propaganda textbooks btw. The twisting everything back to a "we should" statement at the end despite that making no sense for the thesis is every composition you'll ever see. I may also steal it because is technically competent but full of mistakes that Chinese students have been taught to make.

Could you expand more on this? Is it the way Chinese students are taught to write in their native language or in English?

Also, anyone have any opinions on the Alibaba IPO? I've seen articles from both sides of the spectrum that it'll be a disaster or a tech miracle.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Chinese students are rarely taught that it's different when you write in English, so they will use the exact same phrasings that they would use in Chinese. In Chinese research papers or books on academic topics it is totally okay to start a paragraph about Pinyin with: "What is Pinyin and where is it used? Pinyin is a romanization system that is used in mainland China, Singapore, and Malaysia."

The term 我国 (my country) will be used to refer to "China" even if the author is not writing in first-person, or maybe they will break into first person randomly at certain times even though 99% of the time there is no first-person frame of reference being used at all.

The key thing though is the bullshit "every coin has two sides" type thing. Chinese students are generally taught that they should just present advantages and disadvantages of everything rather than making an argument one way or the other. Despite this, it is pretty implicit that you always bias it toward whatever opinion is commonly accepted as right given your audience. This creates the very grating effect where it feels as if the author is going to great lengths to be balanced, but it's 100% clear which side they are actually taking. Western media suffers from this also at times; for the sake of keeping things "fair and balanced" you will get both sides of an issue being presented, but they will cherry pick it to lead you to their favored conclusion. When this is done in western media it's much more subtle and the intention is masked better. When you see it done in Chinese or in articles translated from Chinese, it is about as obvious as a little kid trying to hide the guilty look on his face when his mouth is covered in chocolate.

Here is a good one from a real article on people's daily, I'm sure I could find something better but I literally opened the first opinion piece I could find:

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/n/2014/0911/c98649-8781384.html

Example of weird phrasing that doesn't work well in English and self-congratulatory tone:

quote:

Looking back, what does it mean to a country's education system to respect teachers and provide high quality training to teaching staff? And how do education policies enacted at vital historical moments influence life today? 37 years ago, opponents of the Cultural Revolution forced the resumption of the college entrance examination and set up special education policies. In 1985, China created Teachers' Day, which was a signal that the country had started to consider education as a national strategy and that education had become a link between individual liberation, social transformation and the dream of the nation.

Example of bullshit "two sides" poo poo:

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/n/2014/0917/c90780-8783878.html

This one posts a bunch of Wikipedia facts and platitudes for several paragraphs, then suddenly ends with an urge to action to end the "petty border disputes," and it's 100% implicit that the ending of the dispute should be done by India keeling over and doing what China wants.

quote:

As the world's most populous nations, which account for nearly 40 percent of the global population, Beijing and New Delhi are both pursuing the great dream of national renewal, dreams that are interconnected and mutually compatible.

To ensure a peaceful environment for more than 2.5 billion people combined, China and India should strive for an early and peaceful resolution to the border disputes. It serves the interests of both sides, the whole Asia and the world at large that China and India can put aside their differences and make sure such thorny issues do not damage their overall friendly ties or derail their promising cooperation.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 18, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
New Delhi is probably my favorite nation on earth. After the great nation of Beijing, of course.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I wish China would set aside it's petty border disputes with Japan and Korea and the Philippines and India, too.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Bloodnose posted:

New Delhi is probably my favorite nation on earth. After the great nation of Beijing, of course.

referring to countries by their capital cities irks me to no end for some reason (tehran seeks to contain baghdad! rising tensions between washington and moscow!!!)

augustus gluten posted:

I wish China would set aside it's petty border disputes with Japan and Korea and the Philippines and India, too.

I suggest an impartial "Pretty Borders" committee

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The examples or real stories of people in China (It's a dude on a smartphone drinking tea!) remind me of "vignettes" that I used to read at Christian websites describing converts and how they now lead a happy life since they converted. They were obviously fictional and concocted just to push an agenda.

Also the essay provides no real insight into anything if you think about it. Nothing witty, nothing smart, nothing that shows real creativity or particular insight. It's just stuff that the author probably heard someone else say and is now repeating it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The article is parody written by cistran you dumbos he says so on this page. :cripes:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 18, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

While the Chinese education system may teach a 5,000 year old tradition of written argument, the American system teaches an insufficient quality of reading comprehension. With this said, it is clear that these countries should adopt the superior system.

:china:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MrNemo posted:

While the Chinese education system may teach a 5,000 year old tradition of written argument, the American system teaches an insufficient quality of reading comprehension. With this said, it is clear that these countries should adopt the superior system.

:china:

But....you just said both are insufficient, and have not indicated which system is superior.

F- term paper, it almost sounds like you copy/paste parts of it from somewhere else.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Also just seen linked from the People Daily article linked by cistrans, eat your heart out militarised US policing!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

At least in the US our ridiculously militarized police look badass, and not like 80s throwback day at the airsoft field :smuggo:

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Do they not have steroids in China?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh come on, our police use way better eye protection than that tacky poo poo when they're oppressing minorities stopping looting rioters.

And look at that vehicle positioning! You're never going to crush a mourning, grief-stricken community unlawful protests with that kind of shoddy technique guys!

Also not nearly as heavily armed or armored as the actual Ferguson police response :911:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

hailthefish posted:

At least in the US our ridiculously militarized police look badass, and not like 80s throwback day at the airsoft field :smuggo:

Yeah, they look like 80's John Woo. Badass.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Warcabbit posted:

Right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Fei Han Fei.

Isn't that what I said? Slightly younger than Aesop's Fables, and that's something in common parlance still.

So is Aesop's Fables :confused:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Daduzi posted:

So is Aesop's Fables :confused:

That's what he said.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

fart simpson posted:

That's what he said.

My reading sucks poo poo.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

:eyepop:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wow, I love the Roscoe P. Coltraine hat on the guy on the tank... thing. Who knew China had rednecks.

In unrelated chat, I'm very curious how Chinese media is handling the Scottish independence vote. Is it banned/blocked? I can't imagine they like the implications wrt Hong Kong.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I get the impression it's either ignored or firmly in the 'It would morally abhorrent to comment on the internal issues of another sovereign nation, just as anyone else saying anything about Hong Kong is tantamount to trying to re-subject China to another Century of Shame' and then looking super smug about their genius diplomatic move that gives them +5 VS foreign condemnation.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

It's being covered, I've heard mention of it on CCTV. Also overheard a couple discussing it in Lanzho Lamian just today, If nothing else it is at least explaining the difference between England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the UK to Chinese people.

Personally I'm loving it. As an English person who supports independence, I'm really loving with people's expectations here. Citing George Washington, Ghandi and Zhu Yuanzhang (the Hongwu Emperor, founder of the Ming Dynasty) as examples of historical separatists is all kinds of fun.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Here's an awesome article:

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/n/2014/0915/c90883-8782464.html

Six paragraphs of "the relationship and perceptions on BOTH sides are quite strained," and talking about how both side should work to prevent war. Then the seventh paragraph just goes to town and invalidates everything you already read.

quote:

Japan inflicted the most painful suffering on the Chinese nation in modern history, a scar that is difficult to forget for China's public. To break the deadlock requires Japan's sincerity and efforts.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:
Maybe if the Chinese paid reparations to the Japanese and apologized for being victims of war crimes, there wouldn't be this diplomatic kerfuffle. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

systran posted:

Here's an awesome article:

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/n/2014/0915/c90883-8782464.html

Six paragraphs of "the relationship and perceptions on BOTH sides are quite strained," and talking about how both side should work to prevent war. Then the seventh paragraph just goes to town and invalidates everything you already read.

It starts out pretty good but then goes up the ramp of Japanese blame. Then drops the hammer like a WWF signature move. The last paragraph is awesome. I'm a bad way.