Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Anyone who thinks an iPhone coming with 16GB that you don't have to buy is "the single-most disappointing aspect of the new phone" probably cries when they cut slices of Velveeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I still can't arrange icons or folders vertically in iOS8, how long must I wait Apple?! :argh:

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
I'm bummed (and annoyed) Apple ditched the "Camera Roll" album from the photo app and turned it into "Recent Photos". Yes, I know you can tap photos on the left and go into the collections/year/etc view, but it's annoying and not as good/fun/quick as infinitely scrolling up the camera roll. Maybe they're forcing people to throw images into albums and sort everything that way. But still, I know so many people who just used the camera roll and that was that. Wonder if Apple brings that back "due to popular demand".

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

jiffynuts posted:

I'm bummed (and annoyed) Apple ditched the "Camera Roll" album from the photo app and turned it into "Recent Photos". Yes, I know you can tap photos on the left and go into the collections/year/etc view, but it's annoying and not as good/fun/quick as infinitely scrolling up the camera roll. Maybe they're forcing people to throw images into albums and sort everything that way. But still, I know so many people who just used the camera roll and that was that. Wonder if Apple brings that back "due to popular demand".
This must have changed with the GM because the regular "camera roll" album was still there in the earlier betas.

A dumb workaround would be to open up any app that has access to your photos like Facebook or Twitter and endlessly scroll through your available photos there.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Anyone who thinks an iPhone coming with 16GB that you don't have to buy is "the single-most disappointing aspect of the new phone" probably cries when they cut slices of Velveeta.

Apple should not be putting out a crippled product. Period. "You don't have to buy it" is the most non-excuse excuse imaginable.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
This is a pretty great review of the 6 and 6+ in real-world situations:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/17/life-is-tough/

A dude takes them both to Disneyland - apparently the 6+ lasted two full days with pretty decent usage (games in line, taking photos, making calls/messages etc). Check out the video of him on Thunder Mountain Railroad, the image stabilisation looks amazing!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

Apple should not be putting out a crippled product. Period. "You don't have to buy it" is the most non-excuse excuse imaginable.
Time will tell if it will be enough of an issue to create a backlash. I have a feeling it won't.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Whirlwind Jones posted:

A dumb workaround would be to open up any app that has access to your photos like Facebook or Twitter and endlessly scroll through your available photos there.

It is dumb, since some apps don't have that view (TweetBot uses the new view, for example) and none of them let you do the stuff that you would want to do: email, upload to different places, edit, delete, etc.

Super glad to know the exact date I took those two photos though! :downs:

Having a 16gb phone that records HD 120FPS video is Very Dumb, and I can only imagine the math didn't work out enough in Apple's favor to make the default 32gb. I wouldn't call it "disappointing" but it's definitely going to be one of those weird models no one has in a few years.

So far the highlights of iOS8 to me are Family Sharing (no more double dipping on apps/music, or using the incredibly awkward Home Sharing!) and the Details tab in the Messages app.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Time will tell if it will be enough of an issue to create a backlash. I have a feeling it won't.

It won't because 99% don't care.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

fleshweasel posted:

Except it isn't crippled by any substantive definition?

As far as I know, the 16GB models sold out first -- again. To me that suggests that it isn't "crippled" for the average consumer. The only people bitching about it seem to be phone spergs.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Apple is apparently telling law enforcement to go pound sand to recover data off ios 8 now:

quote:

“On devices running iOS 8, your personal data such as photos, messages (including attachments), email, contacts, call history, iTunes content, notes, and reminders is placed under the protection of your passcode,” Apple said on its Web site. “Unlike our competitors, Apple cannot bypass your passcode and therefore cannot access this data. So it’s not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
My wife now has multiple Family Sharing invites from me.

* If she Accepts, it either says the invite has expired, or that she can only start or join a Family account twice every 364 days.

* If she Declines, it says she is already a member of Family group.

So... what the heck can she do with this invite?

There is a (1) next to her iCloud now, indicating this invite that won't go away.

Has anyone seen this before? Did this happen during beta?

Neither one of us has had an iOS 8 beta installed.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jiffynuts posted:

Yeah, this is really annoying. It also added a folder called "oldpics" that says "from my Mac" under it and it can't be deleted at all -- the album can't be deleted and the pictures can't be deleted. The weird thing is, I don't have "sync photos" or whatever selected in iTunes, and I can't find the photos or this "oldpics" folder on my Mac at all. They're definitely my photos from last month, but they're not on my computer and now I can't remove them from my iPhone. :psyduck:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

fleshweasel posted:

The problem is that it's not a crippled product. You don't have to buy the 16GB version of the phone, get the 64 for $100 more. Complaining about the 16GB being too small when you aren't buying that size is akin to complaining about the fit of women's underwear on your balls.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

fordan posted:

Apple is apparently telling law enforcement to go pound sand to recover data off ios 8 now:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html

For those who are interested in more in-depth technical information about the security measures they use, they've also updated their security whitepaper: http://images.apple.com/privacy/docs/iOS_Security_Guide_Sept_2014.pdf

The big changes seem to be new technologies relating to iOS 8, such as Handoff, SMS/Phone call relay, Instant Hotspot, etc.

Xenomorph posted:

My wife now has multiple Family Sharing invites from me.

* If she Accepts, it either says the invite has expired, or that she can only start or join a Family account twice every 364 days.

* If she Declines, it says she is already a member of Family group.

So... what the heck can she do with this invite?

There is a (1) next to her iCloud now, indicating this invite that won't go away.

Has anyone seen this before? Did this happen during beta?

Neither one of us has had an iOS 8 beta installed.

I would try rebooting her phone before trying to troubleshoot any further, might fix it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah, this is really annoying. It also added a folder called "oldpics" that says "from my Mac" under it and it can't be deleted at all -- the album can't be deleted and the pictures can't be deleted. The weird thing is, I don't have "sync photos" or whatever selected in iTunes, and I can't find the photos or this "oldpics" folder on my Mac at all. They're definitely my photos from last month, but they're not on my computer and now I can't remove them from my iPhone. :psyduck:
Probably some sort of weird iPhoto/PhotoStream/iCloud carryover.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People having to janitor their 16gb phones is pretty common. Pushing the upper limits of your storage even when you keep all your media in clouds and don't install many big apps is standard at that size. Especially when iPhones aren't that good about keeping the camera roll with Photo Stream enabled and the iTunes Match cache slim by themselves. Honestly, I'm as big of an Apple fan as anyone, but it's wearying to see that it's standard practice in here to just cry "sperg" whenever people point out Apple's shortcomings.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I think there are, oddly enough, a great many consumers of phones who purchase the smallest phones (16gb or otherwise) out of some strange guilt for buying new and expensive technology. In some cases it's almost self-punishment, or a signal that they are austere or that even though they have a smart phone "they don't ever play games, take many pictures, store movies or music" etc. They are mainly boomers or older and there are a great many of them. It's not simply that people don't have money or have no use for space.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Probably some sort of weird iPhoto/PhotoStream/iCloud carryover.

Yeah but it's just so weird, I can't find them on my Mac and I can't delete them off the phone. And it's like a handful of photos from last month, the rest are all in the right place except for these. So strange.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I don't have iOS 8 yet as I'm jailbroken, but my mother is telling me that swiping all the way left on a mail is sending it to the trash immediately -- is there an option to turn this behavior off?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spongeworthy posted:

my mother is telling me that swiping all the way left on a mail is sending it to the trash immediately
Yes this is a new feature.

spongeworthy posted:

is there an option to turn this behavior off?
Settings > Mail > Swipe Options

Alternatively enable Ask Before Deleting in the same area.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes this is a new feature.

Settings > Mail > Swipe Options

Alternatively enable Ask Before Deleting in the same area.

I told her to enable Ask Before Deleting and she claimed it still slid off to the left and removed it without a prompt. I was just hoping there was another way to disable it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Realized there's a battery usage by app tracking now in iOS8. Now I never have to wonder what's killing my phone. :slick:

Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage

Also, it was Facebook... Time to change some permissions...

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

spongeworthy posted:

I told her to enable Ask Before Deleting and she claimed it still slid off to the left and removed it without a prompt. I was just hoping there was another way to disable it.

Yeah I tried as well. It doesn't ask, just deletes. Seems odd and going to lead to a lot of frustration. Going to flag this email ... And it's gone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Realized there's a battery usage by app tracking now in iOS8. Now I never have to wonder what's killing my phone. :slick:

Yeah this thing is going to be hugely useful, mainly so people realize how much battery life they're giving away by using Facebook with the default options. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's motivation behind this was primarily Facebook because it's insane how much power it uses even if you don't open the app.

Dbhjed posted:

Yeah I tried as well. It doesn't ask, just deletes. Seems odd and going to lead to a lot of frustration. Going to flag this email ... And it's gone.

The key is to realize you don't need to swipe the whole mail to open the menu. A quick flick will show you the options, a full swipe will do the default option (Trash/Archive). But yeah, I'd expect a setting for this to come in a future update (or a fix for the "ask before deleting" setting).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

DarkJC posted:

Yeah this thing is going to be hugely useful, mainly so people realize how much battery life they're giving away by using Facebook with the default options. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's motivation behind this was primarily Facebook because it's insane how much power it uses even if you don't open the app.

The key is to realize you don't need to swipe the whole mail to open the menu. A quick flick will show you the options, a full swipe will do the default option (Trash/Archive). But yeah, I'd expect a setting for this to come in a future update (or a fix for the "ask before deleting" setting).

I've had background refresh turned off for Facebook since iOS7 came out and it was still top of the chart according to the usage. It's ridiculous.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

DarkJC posted:

It is way to easy to do a full swipe though. I've been testing it and I've had to try to do a half swipe while the full swipe seems easy to initiate. I guess I'll stick to opening my email to flag for now.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just be careful when judging apps based on this list because it doesn't do any kind of adjustment by usage. A single app could be using a huge percentage of your battery if you use it for a huge percentage of time. It's not necessarily bad for some apps to be using more battery than others. That said I definitely adjusted some Facebook settings after seeing how much it used during the betas.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I've had background refresh turned off for Facebook since iOS7 came out and it was still top of the chart according to the usage. It's ridiculous.

Same here, and its above my other apps by far too.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kobayashi posted:

Even his Gruberness is dissing on Apple for the entry level iPhone having 16 Gb of storage:

And even when Apple Fan #1 disses apple, there's people saying they don't owe you a thing and Apple knows business and so on...

In this very thread even.

It's a poo poo move, I don't care if any other companies do it or not, Apple should do better in 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

Just be careful when judging apps based on this list because it doesn't do any kind of adjustment by usage. A single app could be using a huge percentage of your battery if you use it for a huge percentage of time. It's not necessarily bad for some apps to be using more battery than others. That said I definitely adjusted some Facebook settings after seeing how much it used during the betas.

Yep, but considering that Facebook was using at like 3 times more then lower apps, it was a safe bet.

I do like that it differentiates on usage if it's because it was in a bad area with low signal.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I'm confused, what makes Gruber an rear end in a top hat?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Facebook is the only application that I dont let use location services because it wants to grab it all the loving time regardless of what you're doing.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Don Tacorleone posted:

And even when Apple Fan #1 disses apple, there's people saying they don't owe you a thing and Apple knows business and so on...

In this very thread even.

It's a poo poo move, I don't care if any other companies do it or not, Apple should do better in 2014

I think we can all agree that 32 vs. 16 would be better for every user.

I don't think the impact on users is necessarily that bad though. There's plenty of people that don't use their phones to the fullest extent, and for them 16GB is plenty. Someone using an iPhone as a pure work phone probably isn't ever going to break 4GB for example.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I really like that Disney review. The tone of it.

Also that sample video on big thunder mountain is so loving impressive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Facebook is the only application that I dont let use location services because it wants to grab it all the loving time regardless of what you're doing.

A while back I read something about Facebook pretending to be a GPS tracker so that it could stay active in the background longer than it would have otherwise been allowed to.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Huh. I was probably at Disneyland the same day he was.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

My wife just had to clean up her 16GB iPhone 5 so she could do an OTA update to iOS 8. She doesn't have a ton of apps though she does take quite a few photos. It really is kind of space constrained.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My Facebook used up 2% of my battery in the last 24 hours. How exactly is the app a battery hog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

phongn posted:

My wife just had to clean up her 16GB iPhone 5 so she could do an OTA update to iOS 8. She doesn't have a ton of apps though she does take quite a few photos. It really is kind of space constrained.

Well the easy solution according to this thread is for your wife to not buy her iphone, or alternatively, to not exist

hope this helps