Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My wife is sick tonight so I'm making chicken noodle soup. The plan is to get some thighs, skin them, simmer them in stock until they're cooked, and then shred the meat and use the liquid for the soup. Do I have to worry about doing anything to the stock post simmer, or should the skinless thighs keep things pretty clean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
You shouldn't have to worry about doing anything once it's done, but don't forget to skim the stock while it's simmering. The presence of bones will mean there will be coagulated blood and protein to be rid of if you want a nice, clear stock.

If she's sick, can I also recommend chicken long rice? It's super easy and it got me better in a day. Make chicken stock and throw a poo poo ton of thin sliced ginger in. Like, a lot. Add bean thread noodles and finish it with salt, pepper, and green onions.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

kinmik posted:

You shouldn't have to worry about doing anything once it's done, but don't forget to skim the stock while it's simmering. The presence of bones will mean there will be coagulated blood and protein to be rid of if you want a nice, clear stock.

If she's sick, can I also recommend chicken long rice? It's super easy and it got me better in a day. Make chicken stock and throw a poo poo ton of thin sliced ginger in. Like, a lot. Add bean thread noodles and finish it with salt, pepper, and green onions.

That sounds really good, but chicken noodle soup is a sick comfort food for her. I'll definately be skimming the top while the thighs cook, and I'm adding a bit of fresh ginger in as well, as I've had good luck with it in chicken soups in the past.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My buddy gave me a bunch of deer burger. Trying to figure out a recipe so I can bulk cook all of it and eat it throughout the week before it goes bad. But, I'm looking for something healthy.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

me your dad posted:

We ate at the Old Mill restaurant not long ago in Pigeon Forge TN, and they had these great green beans, seen here. What's the secret to beans like that? The green beans I know are slender, round and slightly chewy things. These were flat and soft and damned good. How can I make beans like that?

My Tennessee-native Grandmama calls those bush beans instead of green beans. I see them labeled Roma or bush beans in the grocery stores in deep rural Texas in the spring and summer, and they're always available in the frozen section as well. Typically you have to search a little, but check farmers markets and asian grocers for similar flat green beans. Whatever you do, don't use snow peas or sugar snaps...you won't get the right flavor or texture.

I can give you my Grandmama's recipe for them if you need it, but they cook just like regular green beans. Cook em with too much bacon and add some butter just before you serve if ya wanna do em proper.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

fizzymercy posted:

My Tennessee-native Grandmama calls those bush beans instead of green beans. I see them labeled Roma or bush beans in the grocery stores in deep rural Texas in the spring and summer, and they're always available in the frozen section as well. Typically you have to search a little, but check farmers markets and asian grocers for similar flat green beans. Whatever you do, don't use snow peas or sugar snaps...you won't get the right flavor or texture.

I can give you my Grandmama's recipe for them if you need it, but they cook just like regular green beans. Cook em with too much bacon and add some butter just before you serve if ya wanna do em proper.
If they're romano beans then they're actually a little firmer and starchier than typical green beans when they're raw. The traditional approach to them is to braise them with some other poo poo at a low temperature for half an hour, 40 minutes. From me your dad's description that's what it sounds like to me.

Here's a recipe from smitten kitchen for one version (the text contains links to a couple others).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Its that time of year and this time I did not forget to start making eggnog early!

...but I can't find the recipe for bottled eggnog that was posted here at some point in the past. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I want to make a soup base for my chicken wontons. I'm starting with chicken broth and thinking of adding soy sauce and garlic. What else should I add so that the liquid itself has flavor and not just the wontons?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Oracle posted:

Its that time of year and this time I did not forget to start making eggnog early!

...but I can't find the recipe for bottled eggnog that was posted here at some point in the past. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Are you talking about the aged eggnog?

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2010/01/best-eggnog-recipe.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Brennanite posted:

I want to make a soup base for my chicken wontons. I'm starting with chicken broth and thinking of adding soy sauce and garlic. What else should I add so that the liquid itself has flavor and not just the wontons?

Lots of scallions/green onions!

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Hey nerds, looking for something involved as hell to make during my vacation, the more time-consuming the better. I have a small kitchen with one stove/oven and don't have a large food processor but I suppose I could get one if necessary. Weird offal ingredients are cool (I don't like spleen though)French is nice but cool with other things too.

I don't want to make pork rillette for the umpteenth time.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jay Carney posted:

Hey nerds, looking for something involved as hell to make during my vacation, the more time-consuming the better. I have a small kitchen with one stove/oven and don't have a large food processor but I suppose I could get one if necessary. Weird offal ingredients are cool (I don't like spleen though)French is nice but cool with other things too.

Time to go take a copy of Modernist Cuisine out from the library.

Or maybe Under Pressure.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Jay Carney posted:

http://food52.com/recipes/23984-homemade-croissants :getin:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

I suck at baking so might be a good challenge.

My mom has a copy of modernist cuisine I should guilt her into shipping it to me (I don't have a puddle machine though)

edit: I live in new york so could take a subway ride and get croissants a million times better but not the point hmmmm...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Making macaroons will take a whole afternoon the first time, if you want a baking challenge

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm planning on making some Doro Wat, and I was wondering about a good suggestion for an ethiopian veggie recipe to go with it. Pretty much everything I've seen is a vegetarian lentil thing, and I was looking for a side for nutrients aside from protein.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have yellow and purple cauliflowers I want to mess with. What should I do with them.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Steve Yun posted:

I have yellow and purple cauliflowers I want to mess with. What should I do with them.

Gratin like a ham beast. And then
aloo gobi to feel better about yourself.

vxk5004
Oct 23, 2008
Best recipes for goat? I have approx. 3 pounds of goat precut into 1-inch pieces.

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.
Someone asked me what to do with a round roast that was under cooked a bit, and then put in the fridge for a couple days. My first thought is just some hash with onions and peppers, or Philly style steak sandwiches.

Thinking about it now though, is it still ok to eat after it was undercooked and refrigerated?

\/\/\/

Yea, i guess a bit of the center was blue, but the rest was fine. Thanks!

Autographed Book fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 18, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
As long as the outside got cooked, it's fine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

chaos rhames posted:

I'm planning on making some Doro Wat, and I was wondering about a good suggestion for an ethiopian veggie recipe to go with it. Pretty much everything I've seen is a vegetarian lentil thing, and I was looking for a side for nutrients aside from protein.
This site has plenty of recipes. Samples:

http://ethiopianrecipes.net/aleecha/
http://ethiopianrecipes.net/yeabesha-gomen/
http://ethiopianrecipes.net/bamya-alicha-okra/

5MinuteButtermilk
Mar 5, 2014
Is there any way to grate ginger that isn't a complete pain?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jay Carney posted:

Maybe you could make a bunch of tamales or dumplings? For the tamales you could go all out and make some fancy filling for it and maybe some mole? I don't know if mole goes well with tamales, but it has a reputation for being time consuming. You could make some baozi dumplings, but those might not take too long. On a similar theme, you could make Zongzi, glutinous rice & filling stuffed in bamboo leaves. There's also dolma/whatever it's actually called: grape leaves stuffed with rice. Those only take about as long as it takes to stuff them.

I think for Zongzi & tamales, the filling is generally pre-cooked so you can pick something that sounds good and takes a long time and cook that. Dumplings often have raw fillings, so the time for that would just be stuffing.

You may also consider making a bunch of condiments for yourself over your vacation. A lot of them might not take very long to make, but if you just pile on a bunch of different ones you could use them for a while. I think stuff like mustard, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, maybe something with tamarind. You could make a bunch of different hot sauces.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Are there any interesting things I can do with a pomegranate that aren't: eat it, make a lamb glaze, or use for salad?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Anything you can use raspberries for, you can do with pomegranate - like a garnish for desserts. It's really good - try putting seeds into a salsa (that's not too spicy) and use that with anything salsa-ish like pork cutlets or chips. if you know how to make jelly you can make a pomegranate -mint or -pepper jelly, fuckin' aces, that. If you don't mind making juice, you can use that juice instead of lemon juice to make a pomegranate (instead of lemon) meringue pie.

Look up recipes for vegetables roasted with pomegranates. Most use some pom molasses and roasting veggies in olive oil/all-spice/salt/pepper/pomegranate seeds.

http://mypersiankitchen.com/khoresht-fesenjan-persian-pomegranate-and-walnut-stew/

Pomegranate Chutney

http://www.meatlessmonday.com/recipes/spicy-lentil-pomegranate-tart/

5MinuteButtermilk posted:

Is there any way to grate ginger that isn't a complete pain?

I don't understand. With a grater? is it any more of a pain than grating any other firm vegetable?

If you have a microplane you don't even need to peel it if you don't want to.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 18, 2014

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

DerLeo posted:

Are there any interesting things I can do with a pomegranate that aren't: eat it, make a lamb glaze, or use for salad?

Juice. Reduction sauce. Jam.

5MinuteButtermilk
Mar 5, 2014

Drifter posted:

I don't understand. With a grater? is it any more of a pain than grating any other firm vegetable?

If you have a microplane you don't even need to peel it if you don't want to.

Maybe it's just me, then. I've never been able to grate it without making a mess and taking forever. Now that I think about it, it's actually entirely possible that I'm just incompetent.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

5MinuteButtermilk posted:

Maybe it's just me, then. I've never been able to grate it without making a mess and taking forever. Now that I think about it, it's actually entirely possible that I'm just incompetent.

If you don't mind you can always slice thin sheets of it off the root and mince five or six sheets at a time.

I've done that and it doesn't take super long.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I peel ginger and then microplane. It's easy.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You can use one of those ceramic ginger graters, if you use ginger all the time.

Just drape a bit of heavy duty plastic wrap over it, and don't grind too hard, and it's easy to reclaim all the grated ginger.

Or just use a microplane because you don't give a poo poo about using the fancy 'proper' tool.

Don't use a box grater, though, that's just asking for pain.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

89 posted:

My buddy gave me a bunch of deer burger. Trying to figure out a recipe so I can bulk cook all of it and eat it throughout the week before it goes bad. But, I'm looking for something healthy.

You can sub it in any recipe that calls for ground beef. The only thing to watch out for is fat content, since venison is so lean. When I grind mine I usually add some pork suet to compensate - if your friend didn't add any ancillary fat when he ground it up, you'll probably want to pair it with something a bit fattier and be careful not to overcook because it'll dry out easily.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Edit: ^^^ Venison tag on

Yup, venison super lean. You can get away with rare burgers, but pretty much any other application requires adding some fat. Mix in some fatty pork for a nice meatloaf.

chaos rhames posted:

The GF and I make Ethiopian at least once a month, and a handful of times we've made our our sourdough injera from scratch, too. Our favorite is the Ayeb Begomen, farm cheese with collards. Since she is vegetarian, we make a number of veggie dishes, too.

Ayeb Begomen (Spicy Ethiopian Collards and Cottage Cheese)

Kik Alicha (Ethiopian Stewed Yellow Split Peas)

Cabbage and Peas (she made this one up)

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 18, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fizzymercy posted:

Yeah those are flatbeans, bush beans or Roma green beans. I'm growing those right now along with snap peas and while broadily similar in appearance if you had one in each hand you'd notice the differences instantly. Flatbeans are tasty as hell if you get them pretty hot in some oil or give them a long simmer. They are pretty tough compared to regular green beans otherwise but I prefer their flavor a good bit. Overall they are larger and more bristly than the peas of similar shape and color.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Regarding ginger grating chat: When I worked in a Japanese kitchen, we used this.

They taught me to gently press a sheet of foil over it, then grate the ginger. It always lifted off with no problem, and with minimal to no mess.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Tendales posted:

You can use one of those ceramic ginger graters, if you use ginger all the time.

Just drape a bit of heavy duty plastic wrap over it, and don't grind too hard, and it's easy to reclaim all the grated ginger.

Or just use a microplane because you don't give a poo poo about using the fancy 'proper' tool.

Don't use a box grater, though, that's just asking for pain.

I use a box grater, but I also freeze my ginger, which makes it much easier to grate. Am I a freak of nature who loves pain?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I use a box grater, but I also freeze my ginger, which makes it much easier to grate. Am I a freak of nature who loves pain?
I don't know about freak of nature, but frozen ginger definitely grates super easily.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
So for cooking meat on the stove. I have a 12" All Clad Fry Pan and a Cast Iron Skillet. Which is better for cooking meats? I see recipes often say use a cast iron pan but then what is the use of the fry pan? I get some nice sears on the all clad but did I waste a bunch of money on it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The All-Clad will distribute heat evenly, the cast iron skillet is gonna have hot spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

the cast iron skillet is gonna have hot spots.

Only initially. :mad: