Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

From what I've messed with on tribble: the missions are fun, and Cryptic's done the usual thing of taking dumbass Voyager concepts and making them at least entertaining. The ship stuff isn't too big a deal... it's another cash sink, sure, but it winds up making a lot of ships a lot more viable than they currently are and the intelligence ships look like fun gimmicks. The intel powers look fun too, though those aren't really available to test in space yet. So far, not revolutionary like the Romulan expansion was, but a lot of potential fun.

But then we got the item upgrade info and costs and oh holy gently caress no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just save up money and buy upgraded crap off the exchange or something.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I briefly returned to farm up a couple of Raisa cruisers and discovered that I really, really didn't care for the new doff interface or the replacement crafting system. I tried to relearn space combat in the Dyson sphere, but that lost me within minutes. So I figured I'd sit tight and wait for the upcoming expansion.

Now, the only reason I haven't uninstalled is sheer lethargy.

Ibanez Murderface
Mar 7, 2005

#!/bin/bash

Bieeardo posted:

I briefly returned to farm up a couple of Raisa cruisers and discovered that I really, really didn't care for the new doff interface or the replacement crafting system. I tried to relearn space combat in the Dyson sphere, but that lost me within minutes. So I figured I'd sit tight and wait for the upcoming expansion.

Now, the only reason I haven't uninstalled is sheer lethargy.

Push butan, game is ded

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
So tired. can't find butan. :(

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I unironically like the look of the new ships :( Angular and bulky ship design's always been a favourite of mine.

-Troika- posted:

Just save up money and buy upgraded crap off the exchange or something.

Yeah, this is my plan. Do lockboxes, keys and contraband still sell for mad spacebux?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

CommissarMega posted:

I unironically like the look of the new ships :( Angular and bulky ship design's always been a favourite of mine.

Yeah, this is my plan. Do lockboxes, keys and contraband still sell for mad spacebux?

Keys and contraband do. Lockboxes, hahaha no.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Meh, 2/3 ain't bad. Time to get space-rich.

Seriously, I have over 200 contraband- the temptation to crash the market for gits and shiggles is near-overwhelming.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

CommissarMega posted:

Seriously, I have over 200 contraband- the temptation to crash the market for gits and shiggles is near-overwhelming.

You aren't crashing poo poo with 200 contraband.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Do you mean 200 stacks?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommissarMega posted:

I generally like angular and bulky, but the new ships so far aren't doing it for me, especially not the Federation ships. I always thought of Federation ships as very rounded and flowing, generally ovoid in overall shape - I've always thought that future Federation ships would start looking almost organic. I just can't muster a kind word to say about the new Federation ships. The new Romulan ship isn't bad, but doesn't impress me. Don't know if I've seen a new Klingon ship yet, but they're the race I think of for bulky, harshly angular ships in Star Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I always thought of Federation ships as very rounded and flowing, generally ovoid in overall shape - I've always thought that future Federation ships would start looking almost organic.

Well that's the general progression when you look at the Enterprise-A and the Enterprise-D. :probert:

Second Sun posted:

I think the big problem with this upgrade system is how much game time is going to be spent not actually playing the game.

There's all these missions and content and ships, yet they're driving players to click buttons to make numbers go up.

This is really the key.

Honestly, I think the system might work if Rep Gear could be upgraded with dil or Marks. And Fleet Gear could be upgraded with Dil or Fleet Marks. And also get rid of cooldowns for the sake of cooldowns.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The new ships are just more from the "fighter planes r kewll! STEATLH TECKNOLOGYYYY BRO xtreeeeme" school of sci fi art direction, poo poo sucks

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I think they're not bad, but I'd be unhappy if that became the STO Fed ship style rather than something one-off, if that makes sense.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's just intel ships specifically.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Not likely. They're Section 31 or something.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MikeJF posted:

Do you mean 200 stacks?

Dootman posted:

You aren't crashing poo poo with 200 contraband.

Goddamit stop making me feel small :(

Bloodly posted:

Man, I hope so- I'd like more Section 31-related content, actually, or at least more behind-the-lines stuff (e.g. raiding Voth supply lines, deep strikes etc.). Basically unconventional warfare, now that the Feds/Kilingons/Romulans are in way unfamiliar territory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloodly posted:

Odd. I'd figure Section 31 ships to be sleek and organic looking, more of a ship-sized B-2 than the F-117s the Scryer and pals have going.

It's not a terrible evolution of the Starfleet aesthetic, but those ships just don't look "Federation" to me. From the Constitution to the Galaxy to the Defiant to the Intrepid to the Relativity, the impression I have of Starfleet ships down the centuries is becoming sleek, rounded, and increasingly organic in appearance.

The Klingons are the ones I can see adopting the pointy, harshly angular streamlining. Perhaps the Romulans if they start using Reman designs like the Scimitar, though to me the Romulans' defining aesthetic feature is that their ships are wider than they are long.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What if they're appropriating Delta Quadrant tech and merging it with their own? Sure, on the whole the DQ's more technologically backward (or was that just the Kazon?), but they might have some stuff the Alpha Quadrant races might be interested in. The conflicts with the Borg might have also influenced things.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Odd. I'd figure Section 31 ships to be sleek and organic looking, more of a ship-sized B-2 than the F-117s the Scryer and pals have going.
Yeah, not quite. :downs:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Captain Kim

http://youtu.be/RnWTaCrmno4

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

You shut your filthy mouth.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

You shut your filthy mouth.
It's canon. You can't stop it. :unsmigghh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asimo posted:

Oh my God I want one so bad- what's the name of that beauty? :allears:

EDIT: Is it a reskin of anything in STO? I'll shell out all the Zen for one if I have to.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If the question's serious, that's a model of the USS Vengeance from ST:Into Darkness. Which you'd never be able to recognize because it's always shot from the dark or in odd angles in the movie because the cinematography was loving horrible. It will never be in STO (since Cryptic's contract is with CBS, not Paramount), but the Avenger is probably the closest ripoff homage to it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Asimo posted:

If the question's serious, that's a model of the USS Vengeance from ST:Into Darkness. Which you'd never be able to recognize because it's always shot from the dark or in odd angles in the movie because the cinematography was loving horrible. It will never be in STO (since Cryptic's contract is with CBS, not Paramount), but the Avenger is probably the closest ripoff homage to it.

Aw man, I was genuinely stoked for one. The Avenger doesn't look anywhere as nice.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

It's good to see him showing his approval of Starfleet Dental by doing the dance of Our People.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Cythereal posted:

I generally like angular and bulky, but the new ships so far aren't doing it for me, especially not the Federation ships. I always thought of Federation ships as very rounded and flowing, generally ovoid in overall shape - I've always thought that future Federation ships would start looking almost organic. I just can't muster a kind word to say about the new Federation ships. The new Romulan ship isn't bad, but doesn't impress me. Don't know if I've seen a new Klingon ship yet, but they're the race I think of for bulky, harshly angular ships in Star Trek.
I think the cruiser(? The one with the four nacelles) looks alright... right up until you hit the nacelles and then :stonk:

Asimo posted:

Am I a bad person for almost instantly recognizing it anyway? Especially within the context of the conversation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the cloesest you'll get to the Venegance is the Evil Avenger skin

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Get out your best strangling gloves!

quote:

Creating Neelix in STO was fun, and very rewarding. As one of the most memorable characters of Voyager, getting his likeness was extremely important to us. We scoured the Voyager episodes, pored through many still images, and even read reference material to nail down what Neelix looks like.

One of the challenges of a video game is to bring out features of a character that are easily seen from a distance. To that end, we brought out the jowls of the face, accentuated the nose, pulled the ends of the eyes down, and gave him his unique Talaxian hairdo. We also gave him very colorful and patterned clothing – such that no other crew member on Voyager looks like him.

But of course, visuals are just part of the equation. When paired to the voice work of Ethan Phillips, it truly does feel like Neelix is in the game. We feel the character model looks and feels like Neelix – warm, and friendly; but ready for action should the situation arise.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Present MKXII spire consoles are 31.9 and 1.6 crit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's a purple? Because I'm gonna end up getting purple and going 'gently caress it' and I'd like to know just how much better their cash splurge will get them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Am I a bad person for almost instantly recognizing it anyway? Especially within the context of the conversation.
Nah, it's the only canon Trek ship with lines like and angles that.

MikeJF posted:

What's a purple? Because I'm gonna end up getting purple and going 'gently caress it' and I'd like to know just how much better their cash splurge will get them.
Don't have the number on hand, but they're not... that much lower. A percent or so? Considering the difference between a very rare console and an epic console is going to potentially be a few hundred thousand dilithium and/or zen store items, and there's no additional mods being tossed on like with weapons, I don't really see a point in leveling consoles to epic on live unless you're space rich.

EDIT: Wait, lemme upgrade one quick to see... yeah, it's %35.6/%1.8 for a Mk XIV very rare. To be honest, I think I can live with the difference there.

Aleth posted:

Get out your best strangling gloves!
I actually don't mind Neelix... that much in the missions so far. The game seems pretty self-aware about how annoying he is, anyway. And luckily at least one of the missions involves piles of Talaxian corpses and on-screen Talaxian murder and there's something for everyone there.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 18, 2014

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Apparently you can win this fabulous prize if the game isn't stuck in network maintenance.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Asimo posted:

I can't get over the iron sights mounted at the back of the saucer.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

(I used a model photo since all the movie shots were horrible. That's for hanging it up. :ssh:)

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

If you shoot a photon torpedo through the eyelet, you win a prize! (Hint: It's more layzers up your nose).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I guess JJ looked at the first draft concept art and went NO! MORE ANGLES!

TOO SMOOTH AND GRACEFUL

BETTER

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 18, 2014

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

MikeJF posted:

I guess JJ looked at the first draft concept art and went NO! MORE ANGLES!

TOO SMOOTH AND GRACEFUL

BETTER

The underbite on that first one is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lorak posted:

The underbite on that first one is awful.

Not as bad as the JJ Enterprise (at least this one is counterbalanced at the other end of the hull), so I guess that'd count as design continuity.

• Locked thread