Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Fruits of the sea posted:

The smaller handle for the bath faucet is placed unintuitively, above the larger handle for the shower. They both only turn downwards, between 90 and 270 degrees. That's precisely the opposite of how a normal shower handle would be expected to work. Still usable, it's just contrary to normal design conventions. Same with the flush lever. The only levers I've seen that pull downwards are the European style attached to a chain connected to a tank in the ceiling.

I don't mean hanging like "on a chain", just that it was oriented vertically. Typically vertical ones are pulled towards the user from the bottom; they're usually teardrop-shaped and a bit heavier than standard handles.

I thought the two shower levers were flow and temp. If the little one is the faucet selector then yeah, that's bizarre and doesn't even look functional. I guess they routed the linkage around the water lines? Also it means flow and temp are the same lever which always sucks. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

ColHannibal posted:

Well I am discovering how hosed my plumbing is, plumber finding junctions going copper to PVC and weird things like the water heater run off tied into the AC condensate drain.

(Done right) Copper to PVC is a totally legitimate connection, and while it's no longer to code to have the water heater relief tied into the condensate drain, it was also common practice not all that long ago so it's not a red flag for crappy construction.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's no longer to code to have PVC for domestic water service either (at least as of 2006, probably earlier). I wouldn't worry about it too much on the cold side, but I would eradicate with extreme prejudice in any hot water run.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Thats good to know, plumber was probably just fishing to repair stuff at the HOA's expense. He did change my regulator on their dime, measured 165lb going into the unit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Good for Christmas lights. :thumbsup:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Or a neon beer sign

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or an EXIT sign. Was the home ever used as a public or commercial space, such as a group home, office, daycare, etc?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Load bearing doorway.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Or an EXIT sign. Was the home ever used as a public or commercial space, such as a group home, office, daycare, etc?

Whoa now, please take your reasonable suggestions outside while we make fun of this.

So let's ignore the outlet for a minute, what's up with the angle on the left side :airquote:vertical:airquote: edge?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

As a person who worked at HF for a year, only buy poo poo that has a warranty attached.

Sometimes I love living in the country where everything that is sold comes with a warranty.

Sometimes I hate it with a fiery passion, but not when I am buying stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Whoa now, please take your reasonable suggestions outside while we make fun of this.

So let's ignore the outlet for a minute, what's up with the angle on the left side :airquote:vertical:airquote: edge?

Camera is at a slight angle and is curving the image a bit. Without a straight-on photo I don't think you can say for sure that it's much off of true.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

Believe it's lens distortion. The edge pretty closely follows the edges of the work on the door behind. Looks like one of those textured hollow core doors, which is probably stamped off a mold or machined out of foam.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

An un-permitted deck fell off the side of an Oakland home this weekend, injuring 10.

The homeowner will be fined $2,000. The newsreader made it sound like that was a lot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's hard for me to tell, but was the entire thing held onto the wall with just nails? Goddamn, guys. I mean, at least use bolts so we can laugh at you for not attaching to the house's structure properly. This is just sad.

EDIT: "I'm thinking the deck was just old, and with that weight on it, it just didn't hold," he said. Yeah, right.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Yeah, the NPR story I heard explicitly mentioned "nails just pulled out" which made me surprised it held as long as it did.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Slanderer posted:

Seriously, using a hair dryer instead of a heat gun seems like a lot of wasted effort. I've gotten two cheap heat guns over the years, and one broke from a failed thermal fuse, but the other is still going.
Its a good way to kill hair driers, too. I killed a very nice pretty new one owned by my mom in highschool... I bought a heatgun there after.

Aoi-chan
Jul 28, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

Its a good way to kill hair driers, too. I killed a very nice pretty new one owned by my mom in highschool... I bought a heatgun there after.

Huh, really, all you guys killing hair dryers. I swear that's what my parents used to use to seal storm windows and it worked fine for me. Fortunately the place I'm in now has modern windows so I don't (think I) have to to that this year.

Aoi-chan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 19, 2014

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Aoi-chan posted:

Huh, really, all you guys killing hair dryers. I swear that's what my parents used to use to seal storm windows and it worked fine for me. Fortunately the place I'm in now has modern windows so I don't (think I) have to to that this year.

Those window sealing kits don't really require nearly as much heat as most things that people use heat guns for

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Aoi-chan posted:

I was forming pleather one of the times, which likely needs a good amount of heat. I'm not sure what I was doing the rest of the time, it was over a decade ago.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I bought a heat gun a few months ago. Turns out it there are much better ways to take up linoleum.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SiGmA_X posted:

At least it's safer than using heat guns as hair driers.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I got a heat gun. I use it for... heat shrink tubing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Using a heatgun on window shrink film is like using an antiaircraft cannon to kill a mosquito. Way overpowered and you probably won't like the results, I accidentally melted a hole in the stuff with a hairdryer on low once.

Wait, we're talking about HF heatguns... yeah, carry on. Should make a decent if somewhat weak hairdryer, too :v:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kastein posted:

Using a heatgun on window shrink film is like using an antiaircraft cannon to kill a mosquito. Way overpowered and you probably won't like the results, I accidentally melted a hole in the stuff with a hairdryer on low once.

Wait, we're talking about HF heatguns... yeah, carry on. Should make a decent if somewhat weak hairdryer, too :v:

Oh hell no, don't you bring that weak poo poo into the bathroom. 1875 watt or gtfo

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What am I looking at and why does it fill me with a faint but sharp terror?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's a jerry can for gas or kerosene being used as some sort of support or T-link on a pipe system it seems. :stonk:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks to me like it's just being used to catch a leak from the black pipes above.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Looks to me like it's just being used to catch a leak from the black pipes above.

Yeah, except I think the leak it's catching is that completely uncapped end of that T section up there :stare:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

FISHMANPET posted:

Given this thread, nothing is "only" catching a leak. It's probably full of electricity or radiation or buttwasps or something

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

This, it catches some leaks from those black pipes and drains it to a pipe to the ground (that i assume is connected to the sewer system)
The building has lots of infiltrations on the walls and rebar showing from missing cement.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

That is loving beautiful.

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004

I love this so much. Just the idea that someone looked at a gas can and thought "I can turn that upside down and make it into a gutter" as a solution to the problem.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

kid sinister posted:

I got a heat gun. I use it for... heat shrink tubing.

I got a heat gun, I use it for nothing.
Bought it when I was a refrig mech, I thought it would be useful for defrosting frozen evaps, and also for heatshrink.
Turns out may as well use a lighter or butane soldering iron for heatshrink, also a heat gun is not enough heat to defrost a commercial all metal evap, and too hot for a domestic evap, (melts all the plastic).

So I never used my heat gun for 10 years. Used a hair drier for domestic FF and a mapp gas torch for commercial all metal FF evap defrosting, and a lighter/butane soldering iron for heatshrink. Pretty much any application for it I could think of, there was always a better way, or a way that justified not bothering to carry the heat gun around with me.
But then again we don't do siding or whatever in Australia, houses are double brick, and I'm not in construction or doing my own home reno anyway.

E:I still have no idea where my heat gun is, tried looking for it about a year ago...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 26, 2014

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
A heat gun works awfully well for stripping paint.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Heat guns can also be useful for lifting linoleum.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

For electronics and general hobby-ing they're pretty handy, especially after you've accidentally lit on fire your 8th carefully soldered cable bunch while trying to heatshrink it with a lighter. I totally understand not wanting to carry one around in your toolbox all the time though.

EDIT: Oh and more derail-y uses: de-soldering a bunch of pins of a chip at once, where you can't solder wick or otherwise remove enough solder to extract something that has a million goddamn tiny pins, you can just blast it with the heat gun and lift it up while they're all melted. This is assuming you don't melt or destroy the chip in the process, but it's pretty handy.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 26, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Heatguns are way better than a torch or lighter for heatshrink, honestly. I used to think a lighter was fine, then I used a proper heatgun. Not worth it if you don't do it a lot however.

As for desoldering, I find that I only care about one half of the equation at any given time. Either the chip is good and I'm salvaging it, or the part is bad and I'm repairing the board. For the latter case I carefully nip all the pins off the body of the chip, leaving them soldered into the board, then desolder one at a time, for the former, I either just go full retard with a heatgun or even use a blowtorch (and plenty of ventilation, epoxy combustion byproducts are REALLY BAD FOR YOU.) As long as you melt the solder and pull the chip before the bottom of the chip gets melty poo poo stuck to it, you're probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

sirr0bin posted:

A heat gun works awfully well for stripping paint.

I've used them to bend one hell of a lot of PVC for use in props and as a temporary building material.