Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Seiren posted:

I saw a guy recently who had over 16000 hp, so it leads me to wonder what the armor cap is.

Depends on the class but the average is 1.6 billion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Neo Helbeast posted:

Depends on the class but the average is 1.6 billion.
:stare:

Got a long way to go...all my classes hover around ~1200hp aside from Fencer, which is nearing 3k.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

Seiren posted:

I've been playing this like mad again, trying to get the best weapons and further increase my armor ratings off and online.

My Air Raider is sorely lacking in high-level vehicles, the best I have is the Vegalta Firelord at Lv82, with everything else in the 40s-50s still. I still love the reliable Gigantus and have become a startlingly great shot with the howitzer turret. Just wish my best one wasn't a Lv50ish thing.

So I've been experimenting a lot with air support, and have come to the conclusion that Whale is one of the best in the game. It recharges so fast, that with good placement you can get more than one going at a time for truly massive, bug-and-hector-sploding carnage.

I saw a guy recently who had over 16000 hp, so it leads me to wonder what the armor cap is.

AFAIK there is no armor cap, it just keeps going up forever.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Medicinal Penguin posted:

AFAIK there is no armor cap, it just keeps going up forever.
I love it when a hacker guy with a 7-figure health count jumps into my game. It's a guarantee that you'll finish the mission.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Should I get this on Xbox or PS3? Is the multiplayer scene especially better on one or the other?

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

I've seen about a maximum of 10~15 on the PS3 side these days, and most of these people are grinding-out the last few % of completion. I couldn't say about the 360 side. It may be just as dead.

I'd recommend you get whichever one you're more comfortable with.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Marogareh posted:

The high altitude ones are great for hanging way back and destroying things but it falls apart when there's air units swarming you due to the reload. So far the only good anti air option I've found for fencers is dual wielding shotguns while spamming the boost jump.
I'm still hacking away at EDF2025 on Hardest difficulty with my Ultramarine-colored Fencer. I just got thru Map 41, named Annihilation, where you have your first encounter with the Earth Eaters and ultimately face a large wave of wasps in open territory. I had forgotten :bang: that you wrote that you had spammed _two_ shotguns for anti-air and I only tried one shotgun a few times and failed.

After two weeks and tanking another 700 armor I finally got thru Map 41 by using the Javelin Catapult to stay mobile and slowly plink off the wasps with my Jackhammer as I went in a big circle around one of the large hills, which was one hell of a circle-strafe.

Next time I'll have to try your akimbo-shotgun approach. I was hoping the shield would tank me thru the map but the pounding from two waves of wasps attacking at once was much was too great. At full force they were taking away about 1000 armor per attack :aaaaa: if I was standing still, which is why I decided to resort to the Javelin Catapult to keep moving and slowly whittle the flying demons down.

I remember now that HG Wells movie adaptation of, "The Food of the Gods", had giant rats and giant wasps attacking people. I wonder if there is any influence on the EDF games from either the HG Wells books or from the movies from the 1970's, since giant ants and wasps are so prominently featured?

EDIT: Here you go, guys: here's what EDF 1976 would of looked like:

Trailer for Food of the Gods (1976)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCHdHJ-xguE

Extended trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWoN-zyaUyo (video has low volume, may need to turn it up)

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 23, 2014

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

nnnotime posted:

I remember now that HG Wells movie adaptation of, "The Food of the Gods", had giant rats and giant wasps attacking people. I wonder if there is any influence on the EDF games from either the HG Wells books or from the movies from the 1970's, since giant ants and wasps are so prominently featured?

I think there's a reference to "Them!", which is about the military fighting giant ants in the southwest United States, at the very beginning of the game when they're talking about the last of the giant insects being wiped out in America.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

nnnotime posted:

I'm still hacking away at EDF2025 on Hardest difficulty with my Ultramarine-colored Fencer. I just got thru Map 41, named Annihilation, where you have your first encounter with the Earth Eaters and ultimately face a large wave of wasps in open territory. I had forgotten :bang: that you wrote that you had spammed _two_ shotguns for anti-air and I only tried one shotgun a few times and failed.

After two weeks and tanking another 700 armor I finally got thru Map 41 by using the Javelin Catapult to stay mobile and slowly plink off the wasps with my Jackhammer as I went in a big circle around one of the large hills, which was one hell of a circle-strafe.

Next time I'll have to try your akimbo-shotgun approach. I was hoping the shield would tank me thru the map but the pounding from two waves of wasps attacking at once was much was too great. At full force they were taking away about 1000 armor per attack :aaaaa: if I was standing still, which is why I decided to resort to the Javelin Catapult to keep moving and slowly whittle the flying demons down.

I'm at 93% completion and all I can think of is how bullshit the good missile launchers are locked due to needing an air raider. The Phoenix would've been the most viable anti air option since everything else does such piss poor damage on Inferno. I would've loved if the Arm Hound actually did some damage comparable to the MEX5 Emerald instead of tickling enemies with it's anemic 400 damage.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

Marogareh posted:

I'm at 93% completion and all I can think of is how bullshit the good missile launchers are locked due to needing an air raider.
What levels are you still missing? I know I'm not exactly strong enough for the toughest levels on Inferno, but I've been needing a good excuse to play more EDF, and online is turning into a crapshoot with such a small community; when I ran games on Hardest, or even Inferno, I get guys with beginner-level guns and armor hoping to get carried for sweet loot, and when I join games I get kicked for "taking too long to re-equip" when the host significantly changes the game settings.

It's also part of why I've played Air Raider more in couch co-op than online. DLC 2-16 is easy with high-level Electro-walls and Splendor bombs, but the few people I've managed to get it going with always, without fail, charge into that first room, past the walls I've set, and get eaten by spiders. Especially without voicechat, at least you can punch the idiot next to you into making use of those tools, or any of the multi-seat vehicles. Really, Brute is a good chopper with a competent pilot and gunners. Proteus is a game-changer if it can actually get on the field and manned with sharpshooters. Some of those horrifically-powerful missiles are capable of making Inferno-level Hectors GO BACK HOME TO SPACE :black101:. Those Haytal-series of missiles are particularly deadly when the Raider focuses the firepower towards a single target...and so much more.

Speaking of which, Raiders don't just control those missiles that require laser guidance. They can hijack and redirect any missiles fired by other players, though I'm not sure about Wing Diver ones since those aren't technically missiles. I'm sure players much more creative than myself can think of some cunning uses for this.

nnnotime posted:

Next time I'll have to try your akimbo-shotgun approach.

Jackhammer
Double-shotguns on a Fencer are some of the most fun I've had, and surprisingly potent in tougher spots as well. Reflector-type shields are also quite nice, as long as you're reflecting and not guarding. Jackhammers, for all their amazing DPS, have terrible range, and they will not penetrate enemies like spears will. That penetrating-power really makes spears some the best weapons in the game, since you're multiplying the damage with every enemy hit. Granted, that won't help a whole lot against wasps, but the range would. Even lesser spears can reach out over 120m, while the highest Jackhammer I've seen goes only about half of that.

I will admit to not using the Javelins. I feel like shields are too useful to pass on, especially once you've learned to reflect semi-decently. There's a mission in DLC 3 where you fight multiples of every boss-level insect in the game, with two boss-dragons thrown in for good measure. If there's a better Powered Reflector, I really want one, because that thing carried me and my coop partner through that level with little effort. No amount of speed is going to save you from three bosses making GBS threads nasty things at you simultaneously, but turning those attacks back in their faces will. This might be common knowledge by now, but the whole "spider webs instantly killing spiders when reflected back at them" extends to the boss-spider as well.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
All I'm missing are the final really bullshit levels on Inferno for a few classes. Kinda hard getting anything done when there's like ten people on and the majority either disconnect right when the mission starts or have triple digit armor.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
So by this point this has like zero chance of making it to PC, right? :(

I wouldn't care if it was a lazy port that added absolutely nothing, I just want to play EDF at 60fps (actually even a steady 30fps would be nice). As great as this game was, the framerate during local multiplayer is pretty inexcusable.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Marogareh posted:

I'm at 93% completion and all I can think of is how bullshit the good missile launchers are locked due to needing an air raider. The Phoenix would've been the most viable anti air option since everything else does such piss poor damage on Inferno. I would've loved if the Arm Hound actually did some damage comparable to the MEX5 Emerald instead of tickling enemies with it's anemic 400 damage.

Seiren posted:

Double-shotguns on a Fencer are some of the most fun I've had, and surprisingly potent in tougher spots as well. Reflector-type shields are also quite nice, as long as you're reflecting and not guarding. Jackhammers, for all their amazing DPS, have terrible range, and they will not penetrate enemies like spears will. That penetrating-power really makes spears some the best weapons in the game, since you're multiplying the damage with every enemy hit. Granted, that won't help a whole lot against wasps, but the range would. Even lesser spears can reach out over 120m, while the highest Jackhammer I've seen goes only about half of that.

I will admit to not using the Javelins. I feel like shields are too useful to pass on, especially once you've learned to reflect semi-decently. There's a mission in DLC 3 where you fight multiples of every boss-level insect in the game, with two boss-dragons thrown in for good measure. If there's a better Powered Reflector, I really want one, because that thing carried me and my coop partner through that level with little effort. No amount of speed is going to save you from three bosses making GBS threads nasty things at you simultaneously, but turning those attacks back in their faces will. This might be common knowledge by now, but the whole "spider webs instantly killing spiders when reflected back at them" extends to the boss-spider as well.
Thanks for the info. To your points, and reflecting on map difficulties and limited Fencer weapon options, I've decided to give up on my Fencer Hardest difficulty play-through, instead allowing to play through some of the maps on Hard difficulty if the map gets to crazy.

If I can't get through the map on Hardest after three attempts then I'll drop the difficulty down to Hard. There were two or three maps on Hardest where I was stuck, and had to spend over a week in some cases backtracking to tank up on armor or farm higher level weapons on lower-level maps on Inferno to push forward. Even then the additional weapons didn't help much with swarms of air units on the recent four maps.

If there will be several more Hardest maps like that then I don't see the point wasting time trying to bulk up my Fencer further if the returns would be diminishing. I'll still play the Hardest maps in hoping to find a few that are unbalanced to the easier side, so I can plan to try farming weapons on those maps on Inferno difficulty.

Disappointing, but it's been clear from the game's beginning the Fencer is a support class, not really designed to solo the game with. I must like learning things the hard way.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Wasn't 2017 just a port of a PS2 game? I'm sure they'll make a PS4/Xboxone version and at that point they'd have no reason to not have a pc version.

As for fps the frame rate is noticeably better on the Xbox360 version as compared to ps3 version. So much so that I do not like the go back to the ps3 version.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 24, 2014

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SamuraiPaul posted:

Wasn't 2017 just a port of a PS2 game?
Nope. It's more of a heavily expanded re-make of a PS2 game. Story goes that SCEA rejected the idea of releasing the PS2 EDF games in America on the grounds that the graphics were too poor. Sandlot's response was to just make EDF1 again for the Xbox 360.

In other EDF related news EDF 2 Portable V2 has been announced for the PS Vita. I was hoping for a 2025 port, but I guess a Semi-HD remaster of the second best Game in the series will have to do instead.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Will this finally be the long-awaited day, where we can play EDF2 with a good frame rate? Hope this comes out in the US or otherwise will work on the Vita TV I am planning to buy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But watching your system cry when Godzilla charges through several city blocks is half the fun.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I found the bad frame rate kind of endearing. I got a lot of joy out of the fact that as a wingdiver I could manually manipulate the frame rate by flying really high and looking off into the horizon, and then tilting the camera down when I wanted the game to suddenly speed up.

My coop partner may have gotten less joy out of that than I did though.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 25, 2014

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Funnily enough I picked this up last week on the 360. Have worked through the game on my Ranger, now trying more stuff with the Wing Diver. I didn't know what the fuss was about the electroshock weapons until I did the second series of tunnel missions, holy poo poo the Éclat-30 and Idunn-E just wreck stuff. Love it.

Add me on 360 if you want to team up for coop goodness: Sambo951

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

I_Socom posted:

I didn't know what the fuss was about the electroshock weapons until I did the second series of tunnel missions, holy poo poo the Éclat-30 and Idunn-E just wreck stuff. Love it.
It’s all about the Thunderbows

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
With some side ventures into the mid-range lasers like the Reflectron Laser D.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I started playing through this again with a different coop partner, and I figured I'd try a different class. I had been wing diver the first time, and went for Fencer this time.

How is the fencer supposed to deal with swarms of fast flying enemies that stick on you? Maybe I just don't have the right weapons unlocked for clearing them yet or something, but any missions with huge swarms of drones I feel completely useless. I spend all my time dash canceling away from them, and never having a second to turn around to try and shoot them. I can't imagine this feeling will get better once the red drones start coming.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

LibbyM posted:

How is the fencer supposed to deal with swarms of fast flying enemies that stick on you?
Basically keep moving and pick them off, or find cover where they can't easily shoot you and pick them off from there.

I'm playing Fencer on Hardest and aerial swarms are the worst to deal with. Earlier advice in the thread was to wield dual-shotguns and jump boost to take them out, but that didn't work well for me on Hardest difficulty. You can also use one of the blade-striker weapons to attack aerial units, but I haven't tried that, yet.

I don't recall what I used on red drones or plain ones, either self-locking missiles or one of the Galion cannons, which have good range to hit them. Against the wasps I dash-cancelled with the Javelin Catapult (due to its high ammo count, and it dashes faster than the shields) and would run around part of the map in a big circle, turning once in a while to pick off any wasps that flew too close. After taking out one or two I would dash-cancel again with the Javelin Catapult before the remaining wasps buried me with their steel barbs.

Here's a good example video of a guy using the Fencer with the Javelin Catapult to move around instead of the shield (Map 41 on Inferno).
He's using one of the level 83 Dynaforce blades to attack and boost and dash cancelling with the Javelin Catapult:

http://youtu.be/_C7QND_tvN4?t=7m15s

I basically had to do the same tactics he did, but he did it a little faster and better.

I just spent the past week or two with the Fencer getting thru a bunch of Wasp levels on Hardest (maps 39 "Search", 40 "Waterside Bugs", and 41
"Annihilation") and now the game is getting more manageable again.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Basically keep moving and pick them off, or find cover where they can't easily shoot you and pick them off from there.

I'm playing Fencer on Hardest and aerial swarms are the worst to deal with. Earlier advice in the thread was to wield dual-shotguns and jump boost to take them out, but that didn't work well for me on Hardest difficulty. You can also use one of the blade-striker weapons to attack aerial units, but I haven't tried that, yet.

I don't recall what I used on red drones or plain ones, either self-locking missiles or one of the Galion cannons, which have good range to hit them. Against the wasps I dash-cancelled with the Javelin Catapult (due to its high ammo count, and it dashes faster than the shields) and would run around part of the map in a big circle, turning once in a while to pick off any wasps that flew too close. After taking out one or two I would dash-cancel again with the Javelin Catapult before the remaining wasps buried me with their steel barbs.

Here's a good example video of a guy using the Fencer with the Javelin Catapult to move around instead of the shield (Map 41 on Inferno).
He's using one of the level 83 Dynaforce blades to attack and boost and dash cancelling with the Javelin Catapult:

http://youtu.be/_C7QND_tvN4?t=7m15s

I basically had to do the same tactics he did, but he did it a little faster and better.

I just spent the past week or two with the Fencer getting thru a bunch of Wasp levels on Hardest (maps 39 "Search", 40 "Waterside Bugs", and 41
"Annihilation") and now the game is getting more manageable again.

Thanks for the advice/video. That Javelin Cataput certainly looks like it will make things a lot more manageable when I unlock it, hope that's soonish.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

LibbyM posted:

Thanks for the advice/video. That Javelin Cataput certainly looks like it will make things a lot more manageable when I unlock it, hope that's soonish.
The Javalin Catapult is a level 14 weapon, so its unlockable on Hard difficulty maps up to Map 22, and unlockable on higher difficulties as well.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

LibbyM posted:

I started playing through this again with a different coop partner, and I figured I'd try a different class. I had been wing diver the first time, and went for Fencer this time.

How is the fencer supposed to deal with swarms of fast flying enemies that stick on you? Maybe I just don't have the right weapons unlocked for clearing them yet or something, but any missions with huge swarms of drones I feel completely useless. I spend all my time dash canceling away from them, and never having a second to turn around to try and shoot them. I can't imagine this feeling will get better once the red drones start coming.

Real talk, I've beaten the game 100%, and the fencer is probably DPS-wise the worst character in the game. If a large swarm gets on you and you cant get away, you're dead. I eventually gave up on playing the fencer on Inferno and ended up carrying him with the other chaaracters.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
That PS4 EDF game is just a remake of 2025 called Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despairing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbxuEw-kM-w

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Still slowly grinding through this game as Air Raider. Can't believe they expect this for three other classes, co-op or no.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

About the framerate, it's as a friend of mine said: EDF doesn't have framerate issues, it has situational bullet-time. When there is an overwhelming enemy force on your screen, the game acknowledges this and slows time down to give you the chance you need to assess what's going on. It's the epitome of "It's not a bug, it's a feature".

Realtalk though, I don't mind the bad framerate, in fact I kind of love it. To me, it encapsulates everything that's great about EDF so perfectly. I imagine EDF development team meetings go something like this:
:eng101:: Well, we could improve the framerate if we reduced the number of enemies...
:black101:: gently caress that noise! MORE BUGS! MORE BUGS!

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
There was actually this trailer released for a PS4 port of EDF 2025, which (presumably) will have a much improved framerate at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwi5IwcP1rc.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

LibbyM posted:

I just love how high level play subverts the normal expectations of the class. Fencer is in this heavy armoured suit and should be a slow, tanky unit and the video shows them basically pirouetting through the hills like a figure skater.

Side note, when I was playing with a buddy locally we had no idea what to expect from the Javelin Catapult. It was the end of the night, last mission, he mounts two of them and we go to clear out some early nest mission. He starts firing and arcs a stream of literally dumbfire javelins absolutely nowhere near the ants. We couldn't stop laughing because in order to aim them on ground targets his viewpoint was looking down at the ground barely ten feet away from him. I had to provide my viewpoint to spot for him and watch a shower of metal pin everything down.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Sage Grimm posted:

I just love how high level play subverts the normal expectations of the class. Fencer is in this heavy armoured suit and should be a slow, tanky unit and the video shows them basically pirouetting through the hills like a figure skater.
Yeah, I agree. When I started Fencer single-player I was expecting to play the Fencer just like a Tanky unit, much like from the earlier EDF:Insect Armageddon. But after a few early maps I realized the Fencer's lack of mobility was a serious weakness on the harder difficulties, due to the strength of enemy attacks. So you have no choice but to exploit weapon abilities to be able to beat some maps, though the results don't match expectations of the unit's design.

There are a couple of maps where you can bear down with the shield and melee and get a good tank-like experience, but with aerial or large numbers of units you have to play very un-tank like to survive.

When the game stated the Fencer is a "Technical" class, I think they meant that the class was not play-balanced on hard difficulties, nor viable for solo-play.
I wish they had made the Fencer a little stronger out of the box, like getting double-points for armor, and having better air-defense weapons.

But after a lot of armor mining (thanks, Map15) I now have 4,000 armor which is making the Hardest difficulty gameplay more tolerable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo Helbeast posted:

That PS4 EDF game is just a remake of 2025 called Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despairing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbxuEw-kM-w
Even though it has no gameplay, I love this trailer. The drawings are the perfect way to represent EDF.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
New class: Japanese schoolkids that do flying kick attacks.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

New class: Japanese schoolkids that do flying kick attacks.

sold

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

So on my OCD Fencer solo game on Hardcore, I'm getting close to grabbing all high-level weapons under 79, and I'm only at Map 50 in the main game. All that's left I want to grab are:

71 Deflection Shield MGX
77 Jackhammer MA

I'm not directly trying to reach 100% with the Fencer weapons, just trying to pick-up all weapons and gear that will allow optimal Hardcore gameplay.

Are there any other Fencer items at higher levels that are worth finding? I consider the level 83 Dynablade important for air-defense, but will get that later. There are a few other shields to consider at level 79 onward, like the Master Shield, which would be nice.

Currently I'm weapon-harvesting on Inferno on Map 49 (Pincer), but it's slow going due to the limited enemies on the map.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

New EDF 4.1 trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDusIWTaZGM

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
They put RAD into EDF. They put RAD into EDF. They put RAAshaDASJDLF:SDGLKSGLSKDGDG

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Oh no.. That's where Nanao lives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
a robot is going to kill grandma

and it will be my robot