Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Peep that sick slowdown

all my fears have been allayed

e: poo poo, new page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDusIWTaZGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I missed the PS3 version, so Ill probably grab the HD remake. Was that dinosaur and mech in the PS3 version?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Megasabin posted:

I missed the PS3 version, so Ill probably grab the HD remake. Was that dinosaur and mech in the PS3 version?

NO NOT AT ALL AND I'M REALLY HAPPY

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Seriously it looks EXACTLY like how the RAD mechs looked. So pumped for this. Sandlot and D3 better bring this over here.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

randombattle posted:

Seriously it looks EXACTLY like how the RAD mechs looked. So pumped for this. Sandlot and D3 better bring this over here.

I'm going to be the most mad if they don't.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

absolutely anything posted:

They put RAD into EDF. They put RAD into EDF. They put RAAshaDASJDLF:SDGLKSGLSKDGDG

:gizz:

Oh lordy.

I have such a soft spot for RAD. I beat it three times :shepface: I really, really hope that Glang's most useful and in no way actively detrimental to use unlockable attack makes an appearance.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
They also uploaded another important EDF video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYmR4js2wEQ

EDF2 with online play, Air Raider, and what looks like a decent framerate??? Please tell me I can play this via import on a US Playstation TV if it doesn't come over.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I absoliutely adore that that they re-designed the air raider to fit with the EDF 2 character designs.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
On the subject of EDF 2025 and Fencers: I take back what I said about not finding shotguns effective.
For fighting the Dragons on Hardest difficulty the Level 77 Dexter automatic shotgun ZG is essential. Using the ZG was the only way I could get through level 63 (Mountain Liberation). The dragons were easy to fight in the cities, but if you have no cover, like in the wilderness, then the dragons can tear you apart.

I wish they had stuck with the insect motif and made the Dragons as _Dragonflies_, as that would make sense for the insect aliens to evolve further into. Maybe they developers decided to model fantasy dragons as a sort of joke.

Or maybe it was a misunderstanding? As follows:

Project lead: "We need the final insect evolution to be a dragonfly. Animate and model for an aerial attack and ground attack when it lands." (leaves the room)

Modeler and Animator: "Did he say dragons that fly? Odd choice, but dragons are known to be pretty fierce, breathing fire and are like giant lizards, probably with giant teeth. Let's get to work!"

3 months later....

Modeler and Animator: "Ok, boss: we worked real hard on this enemy, and here's your dragon! And it flies! And also breathes fire and has a brutal biting attack :hfive: "

Project lead: :doh: Ok, whatever, let's go with it, we have to get the alpha build ready soon.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!
The lines about the dragons being the insect's final evolution is probably unique to the US translation. Big ol' weaponized lizards have been a thing in the series since the beginning and there's no way to convince most people that a knockoff Godzilla with mounted lasers somehow spawned from overly bouncy giant spiders :3:. I'm still a little sad that some of the weirder guys didn't make the cut in 2025 but not everyone like ships with reflective shields or giant centipedes.

Due to a (now resolved) conflict with the compiler I haven't gotten the colored version finished, but the b/w/red emblem looks kind of neat. Wear your EDF pride on your sleeve or something..?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man I wish I had anything remotely appropriate to wear that on, holy poo poo.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

I finally obtained all the weapons for the Fencer. I wound up playing map 71 (Death Queen) at least 34 times on Inferno to finish off the weapon collection :stare:

I started to enjoy Map 71 on Inferno once I developed a good strategy. That 35mm Battle Cannon with 10,000 damage makes short work of the DeathQueen twins.

Now I can attempt to finish the game on Hardest with just 10 maps to go. Should I play the DLCs? I tried a few of the DLC missions and they felt like puzzles rather than continuation of the storyline (a term I use loosely).

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The first dlc is alright but nothing too fancy, the second one has bar none the best weapon grinding level in the game. The third one has some insane levels that make the ones in the base game look like small scale skirmishes in comparison. When you see NPC Rangers packing Fusion Blasters you know you're in for some hell.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

nnnotime posted:

I finally obtained all the weapons for the Fencer. I wound up playing map 71 (Death Queen) at least 34 times on Inferno to finish off the weapon collection :stare:
I got most of the Air Raider weapons from the map immediately before Death Queen (Den of Thieves) by equipping a Power Gun, and either a Plasma Charger or a Life Vendor, depending on my teammates. It takes a while and if you fall down into the spiders then you're completely screwed, but when done correctly, you can unlock everything for Air Raider short of the Rule of God.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

On my Fencer Hardest play-through I just completed Mission 76, Monster Camp, which is an outdoor mountain area, taking place at dawn or dusk, with dragons, spiders, and red and black ants. The Mission 76 map itself is identical to the Mission 63 map (Mountain Liberation) with the same enemies but different mission structure.

I thought Mission 63 was hard enough, since dragons are the most dangerous in open areas. But Mission 76 made the map a lot tougher by adding more dragons, ants and spiders to where the game slowed down due to the excessive number of enemies.

After several attempts with different weapons, I found that the same strategy in the earlier Mission 63 also worked the best in Mission 76: just capture all the troops and take them with you. None of the soldiers survived but they kept enough enemies distracted so that I was not completely overrun as with earlier attempts.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

I finally completed my Fencer play-through on Hardest. For anyone else playing Fencer, the last level is do-able on Hardest with at least 4500 armor. I had 5900 armor but remember getting down to 1500 or so on the final mission (Mission 85: Star Eaters).

I found using the shields on the final mission didn't help. Instead of tanking it was a better strategy to dish out maximum firepower, so I resorted to Akimbo 35mm Battle Cannons, which reduced my fire rate from 3 seconds to 1.5 seconds per shot (10,000 damage each round), and allowed me to wear down the final enemy as fast as possible. I got through the first phase so quickly that the two Deroys never appeared, which was vital to preserving my armor.

What's the minimum armor for the Ranger to beat the last mission on Inferno? I watched one Inferno video of a Ranger with 12,000 armor, but he was not playing the mission optimally, by spending time shooting out a few dozen Earth Eater cannons before progressing to the next mission phase, which was puzzling. On my Fencer session I didn't have to take out any individual cannons.

I think it took him 30 minutes to finish the map, which seemed too long IMO. I think my final mission took about 10 minutes, with the most time spent avoiding the dragons (granted, not on Inferno).

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 13, 2014

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
I wish there were more people online. I can't get enough giant insect death.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Zev posted:

I wish there were more people online. I can't get enough giant insect death.

When the new one comes out on PS4 I think lots of us will be playing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
GIANT ROBOT. SPIDER MECH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDj0HyyG61g

God drat I hope this makes it to PC.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Oh man I hope that's coming out in the west.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
There goes the only reason to ever play Watchdogs.

Also Vehicles in cave levels! Wooo!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Levantine posted:

Oh man I hope that's coming out in the west.

When i posted it, there were like 7000 views and half the comments were in English, at least three of them were "please localize this".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Light Gun Man posted:

This and Dying Light are making me seriously considering buying a PS4.

Talk about 2 lovely console must buys.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I hope the online is actually stable this time and the load times bearable at least. I pretty much abandoned the thought of getting 100% completion when this was announced. I'm really liking the new stuff so far and hopefully they'll fix some class issues or better yet give them way more OP weapons. It's really disappointing how the Rule of God isn't that good for such a high level and amazing looking weapon.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Light Gun Man posted:

That looks incredible every robot on there looks great but man my second thought was how bad are they going to control.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

They look like the robots from Robot Alchemic Drive, which I believe was made by the same developers as EDF. Those controlled extremely oddly and took some getting used to. The controls eventually clicked for me but you can expect more than a few reviews citing horrible controls for the robots.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TTBF posted:

They look like the robots from Robot Alchemic Drive, which I believe was made by the same developers as EDF. Those controlled extremely oddly and took some getting used to. The controls eventually clicked for me but you can expect more than a few reviews citing horrible controls for the robots.

I have such a goddamned soft spot for that game. My biggest problem with it was the buggy gravity belt or whatever upgrades (If you did upgrade, it only refilled back to defaut), meaning you were stuck being only barely able to fly up high enough to land on your robot's head/shoulders st full power unless you made it kneel first.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

They made a bunch of robot games, including DS game where every robot has different touchscreen controls and a licensed Tetsujin 28 (aka Gigantor) game.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Wouldn't happen to know the name of the DS game, would you? I'd be interested in checking it out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TTBF posted:

Wouldn't happen to know the name of the DS game, would you? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Chou Soujuu Mecha MG. There's also Remote Control Dandy on the PS1 (they made it when they were still part of Human Entertainment) and it's sequel Remote Control Dandy SF on the PS2.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Chōsōjū Mecha MG

On preview: beaten so here's this for content.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man that poo poo better be available in the US because that's fuckin hilarious.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
My friend and i just beat this game a few days ago. It was probably the most fun co-op experience I've ever had. This game was loving incredible, and the insanity just kept escalating. All of the bugs (figurative and literal) really added to the charm. I even loved the nonsense plot written by a 10 year-old. EDF really distills the fun of video games to its core components. Everyone should play this game.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Beefstew posted:

My friend and i just beat this game a few days ago. It was probably the most fun co-op experience I've ever had. This game was loving incredible, and the insanity just kept escalating. All of the bugs (figurative and literal) really added to the charm. I even loved the nonsense plot written by a 10 year-old. EDF really distills the fun of video games to its core components. Everyone should play this game.

Then start sending copies to North America already!

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Then start sending copies to North America already!

It's out in north America already though? Unless you mean the Ps4 version which doesn't launch until April in Japan.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
My one wish is that they get rid of the laser guide kit limitation on the Fencers more beefier missile launchers. I can only imagine the beauty of firing the full thirty missiles from a Haytal on a swarm of wasps or drones.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

One of the more peaceful moments in EDF 4.1 (a split second after a massive explosion, of course). By the way, being able to "EDF!" on command is the best feature ever, especially when your dudes will chant along if they're nearby. Were you always able to do this in single player, or was it only in multi in the last-gen version?

Couple of random videos I uploaded, shame about the PS4's crummy video capture quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTJ9Rfb03E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xze6g49aUDM

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I want this in the U.S. so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Doc Morbid posted:

One of the more peaceful moments in EDF 4.1 (a split second after a massive explosion, of course). By the way, being able to "EDF!" on command is the best feature ever, especially when your dudes will chant along if they're nearby. Were you always able to do this in single player, or was it only in multi in the last-gen version?

Couple of random videos I uploaded, shame about the PS4's crummy video capture quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTJ9Rfb03E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xze6g49aUDM

First off :stare: AI CONTROLLED VEHICLES! HOLY poo poo!

To answer your question, it was multi only last gen.