Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Plutonia is extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm a big fan of Plutonia 2. It reminds me of Alien Vendetta.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

MrBims posted:

Plutonia isn't a very good wad and you shouldn't feel like you have a moral obligation to push through it.
Bad player detected.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Who the gently caress's talking poo poo about Plutonia in here? :frogout:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wild T posted:

I played through System Shock Portable a few months ago and I really enjoyed it with a few faults. The controls are rear end of course (though I didn't have the fan patch that let me remap them) and I spend half of the time running around lost, bleeding health to random enemies.

SS1's controls aren't quite as bad as they appear once you realize what's going on: rather than implementing control rebinding, the developers came up with four different control schemes -- SZXC, arrow keys, numpad, and pure mouse -- and then implemented all of them. So the help screen is a total clusterfuck, but if you narrow it down to, say, just the SZXC controls, it becomes a lot more tractable. Pressing 2 to enable fullscreen mode helps a lot, too.

Also, setting one of the side MFDs to display the map (and enabling the HUD compass if you have a poor sense of direction) help a lot with getting lost. I basically have one of my MFDs showing the minimap at all times.

quote:

Some moments were amazing, though. The entire garden area, or the first time you encounter SHODAN's 'death machine' are great even today. The zombie screams still sound weird, alien and spooky as well. Hell, the entire sound design was impressive for an early '90s 2.5D FPS.

LGS excelled at sound direction in general; System Shock 2 and both Thief games were also amazing in that respect.

(Also, SS1 wasn't 2.5D; the renderer and physics engine are fully 3d and textured 3d models were heavily used, although enemies and most items were sprites.)

quote:

Full disclosure: I never could win the death machine fight straight up so I ran out of the room and threw in grenades until it was clear like a weak little hacker.

I think cheesing the Death Machine is kind of expected, honestly, and there's a lot of ways to do it apart from just fleeing the room. With some land mines (there's a few in the Deck 1 armoury) or carefully timed nitropacks (available in small quantities on decks 1 and 2) you can set up traps before the doors open by arming them and throwing them through the doorway; you can also dash through the Machine at top speed and then pick off the enemies as they follow you. And if you have enough drugs, you can take a shortcut through the reactor core and enter the Machine from behind, giving you plenty of time to arrange whatever nastiness you have in mind before SHODAN notices.

I'm pretty sure destroying the cameras won't disable the Machine -- it's activated by tile-entry triggers -- but it's possible that the triggers are wired up to be disabled if all the cameras are destroyed, too, so that might be worth a shot if you can figure out a way to hit them all without entering the room.

quote:

GoG tracking down the rights to distribute System Shock 2 really made me hopeful that it would sell well enough to renew interest in the IP. If someone is willing to work out a deal to license or buy the remaining rights from whatever insurance company owns them it would be awesome to revisit the franchise using a modern engine, but I doubt it would happen since it's infinitely cheaper to use a new or already-owned IP. I've always seen rumors that Dead Space began as SS3 but never anything really confirming it.

Someone asked about the IP over on systemshock.org, and this was the answer:

mahk posted:

A year or so ago I approached some contacts from EA about the possibility of licensing System Shock in order to kickstart a sequel. It turns out that the IP is pretty legally entangled; EA owns some, and other entities might have pieces of it from the LookingGlass closure. So getting all the IP in place would require a lot of legal research, even before the actual deal-making starts. So a System Shock in name is not likely to happen.

That said, I do think there's room in the space of possibility for a reboot or redux of some kind, but I don't know of any plans to do so. I'm pretty happy with my current gig doing R&D at Riot Games.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I don't much care for Plutonia either, I think I gave up after the Baron's Lair or something. I don't mind a challenge but I found the whole thing so boring that I couldn't force myself to carry on.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I ran out of patience with it as well. I finally finished it, died after killing the boss, and the ending played anyway. Which I thought was strangely apt given how fed up I was at the end.

For all its faults (such as, um, not actually being completable if you find the secret levels) at least Evilution has the best "GO FORTH AND RIP AND TEAR THEIR GUTS" music of them.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

MrBims posted:

Plutonia isn't a very good wad and you shouldn't feel like you have a moral obligation to push through it.
Given how many WADs are being made in the Plutonia style (or outright named after it, like Plutonia 2, Plutonia Revisited, Plutonia 1024/Plutinya... how long until somebody makes Plutona USA, I swear to god), I kinda figured I should force myself through it just to see why map makers are so infatuated with it. That and, well, I'd beaten TNT: Evilution and the so-called "third half" of Final Doom that is Perdition's Gate, so I might as well complete the set.

Right now, what I'm getting from it is "unfair traps that force you to save scum literally everywhere, even on HMP, with an unhealthy fetish for Chaingunners and Revenants". I mean, I kinda always knew this was the case, this is more just reaffirming it. Still kinda fun, though, and I love some of the tricks they did with self-referencing sectors to make invisible walls, floors and bridges.

I will say that I rather like the relatively-small scale of both these early maps and pretty much every map in Perdition's Gate - I find them a lot easier to blow through than lengthier affairs, which more often than not I just tire of in the middle of the WAD.

Still debating whether or not I want to even bother with Go 2 It or not, though. I've dicked around the map before, but I don't know if I've ever tried to beat it legitimately, and slaughter maps (which Go 2 It could probably qualify as) generally don't agree with me.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Plutonia was an early foray into super-hard megawads, and as such it's flawed a bit and interesting only for historical reasons. Alien Vendetta or even Plutonia 2 made same things. I think I got as far as map 20 on HMP before getting tired. Nowadays I reccomend my friends to play both Final Doom episodes until they have enough, and then show them AV or BTSX.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Gonna join the gently caress Plutonia band wagon. So many switches that open monster closets behind you, I don't care for that.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

DXH posted:

So apparently this is a thing again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yPPVWvB6I

Doom 1 and 2 redone in idTech4. I just reinstalled Doom 3 to play around with some mods so maybe I'll give this a go. What do you guys think? From what I've seen from the videos, it's not much of a scale up visually speaking from the numerous 3D model and texture packs already out there for Doom. I'm not liking that they kept the Doom 3 shotgun model and sounds but it's a pre-beta (alpha?) so I'm sure that will change.

Jesus H Christ this looks so awful

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Oh, I just watched the video, it ticks every box for badly made remake mod. Oversharpened "HD" textures, awful lighting, awful models, terrible music.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh, I just watched the video, it ticks every box for badly made remake mod. Oversharpened "HD" textures, awful lighting, awful models, terrible music.

I just don't like the Doom 3 weapons and enemies. If it had Doom 2 weapons and enemies, it probably wouldn't suck so much.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My mind went down the same path (sort of):
"If it didn't have ultra-resolution textures, it wouldn't be so bad."
"If it didn't have (sometimes slightly modified) Doom 3 enemies, it wouldn't be so bad."
"If it didn't use the Doom 3 weapon models, it wouldn't be so bad."
"If it didn't use that music, it wouldn't be so bad."

But the hypothetical mod I was constructing in my head was basically Doom with none of the benefits of existing in Doom 3's engine, so you might as well go back to playing Doom/II in whatever port you choose.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you watch until the second level you can see that the enemies respond completely differently and the guns fire differently (Doom 3 logic for that) which means it has a completely different feel and timing that doesn't fit the levels at all. It is literally a horrible half-stitched abomination.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DXH posted:

So apparently this is a thing again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yPPVWvB6I

Doom 1 and 2 redone in idTech4. I just reinstalled Doom 3 to play around with some mods so maybe I'll give this a go. What do you guys think? From what I've seen from the videos, it's not much of a scale up visually speaking from the numerous 3D model and texture packs already out there for Doom. I'm not liking that they kept the Doom 3 shotgun model and sounds but it's a pre-beta (alpha?) so I'm sure that will change.

:stonk:

Every texture seen in that video looks like what happens when you give a non-artist a box of Photoshop filters and tell them to recreate Doom textures.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Arivia posted:

If you watch until the second level you can see that the enemies respond completely differently and the guns fire differently (Doom 3 logic for that) which means it has a completely different feel and timing that doesn't fit the levels at all. It is literally a horrible half-stitched abomination.

Yeah, I haven't seen anything that bad since Brutal Doom. :cheeky:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

ToxicFrog posted:

SS1's controls aren't quite as bad as they appear once you realize what's going on: rather than implementing control rebinding, the developers came up with four different control schemes -- SZXC, arrow keys, numpad, and pure mouse -- and then implemented all of them. So the help screen is a total clusterfuck, but if you narrow it down to, say, just the SZXC controls, it becomes a lot more tractable. Pressing 2 to enable fullscreen mode helps a lot, too.

Also, setting one of the side MFDs to display the map (and enabling the HUD compass if you have a poor sense of direction) help a lot with getting lost. I basically have one of my MFDs showing the minimap at all times.

True, the controls weren't bad per se, just... Different. I got used to them pretty quick, though, with a few awkward moments. System Shock 2 really refined the hybrid of mouse for view control and fine interactions with the levels, which spoiled me a bit trying to go back.

But the MFD displays and hardware upgrades were awesome. More games need to let me stick a rearview mirror to my HUD while I slap on roller blades and scream towards cyborgs with a laser sword because mag pulse ammo is hard to find.

ToxicFrog posted:

Someone asked about the IP over on systemshock.org, and this was the answer:

That's kind of what I figured. I figure the most likely thing we'd see would be Bioshock 4: Political Commentary... In Space! Really System Shock's storyline really went off the rails at the end of 2 (thanks to Looking Glass having to rush the ending* and include a boss fight, from what I remember) so continuing the same plot wouldn't be any better than starting fresh. System Shock struck me as being more about the cyberpunk setting, intricate backstory and amazing atmosphere than the particulars of the plot. The only true downside would mean losing SHODAN, since 'she' was such an iconic and terrifying villain.

*Although the final level was an awesome throwback since I first played SS1 back in the mid nineties as a kid. I never made it further than the first or second deck, but that was enough to elicit an 'Oh poo poo!' when reality goes bonkers.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Here's DoomZ, an attempt to recreate DayZ using ZDoom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OwpMANdDfo

Site: http://robertprest.com/doomz/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, Quake Live's on Steam now.

It could be better.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Whaddya mean? It's so much fun when people can spawn with the railgun. :psypop:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Having to choose between the rocket launcher and railgun is the most mindfuckingly terrible idea for Quake 3. :psyboom:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, it looks like you can still find weapons in the maps. I think. I don't feel like being a statistic that downloads the game and leads them to believe their changes are successful.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Enemies carrying weapons still drop those weapons on death, and the maps still have weapon spawns. You're not locked to those two weapons, they're just what you start with.

You don't have to choose between railgun and rocket launcher, you just have to choose what you start with. FWIW I think it makes more sense than the old way of just giving new spawns a lovely weapon and reducing them to cannon fodder if they don't find a powerup or a weapon right away.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I just played two matches. The only noticeable changes (coming from someone who's played some vanilla Quake 3):

-I could bunnyhop by just holding spacebar
-I got to pick from a selection of 2 guns when I spawned instead of just having the machine gun, other guns still spawned in map like normal
-All ammo pickups are universal ammo
-The Heavy Machine Gun is a new weapon. It's basically just a better machine gun.

That's it. I actually like this a lot more than when I first tried Quake Live. Hopefully being on Steam reinvigorates the community.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

BattleMaster posted:

:stonk:

Every texture seen in that video looks like what happens when you give a non-artist a box of Photoshop filters and tell them to recreate Doom textures.

Elliotw2 posted:

It totally reminds me of that Duke Nukem 3D remake we saw in here ages ago that was mipmapped to gently caress and back and made every little divot or dent in the textures look 5 inches deep.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Played Quake Live with some goons yesterday, it's really not too bad, but I still can't stand the lightning gun nerf. :(

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Maaan, I kinda hate to say it (mainly because Essel is a cool-rear end dude), but BTSX2 is kinda giving me Hellbound vibes, and not in a great way. Map4 is just a total slog, like, if you wanted to put a Misri Halek-like level in the game, at least have the decency to put it near the end, jeez. Absolutely gorgeous, though, as if that needed to be said.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Quake Live For Steam is pretty good, but there's a couple of minor things that bug me. First, I can't seem to unbind/change previous/next weapon from the mousewheel. This is annoying because the wheel itself is my use item button and sometimes I swap weapons when I try to hit it. Second, none of the other players' models seem to be displaying. All I see are generic green placeholders.

I had these same issues with the browser version and I recall having issues with unbinding the mousewheel in vanilla Q3A too. What is with that? :psyduck:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Quake Live For Steam is pretty good, but there's a couple of minor things that bug me. First, I can't seem to unbind/change previous/next weapon from the mousewheel. This is annoying because the wheel itself is my use item button and sometimes I swap weapons when I try to hit it. Second, none of the other players' models seem to be displaying. All I see are generic green placeholders.

I had these same issues with the browser version and I recall having issues with unbinding the mousewheel in vanilla Q3A too. What is with that? :psyduck:

Go to advanced options, team settings. You can choose to force enemy models and enemy skins. MLG PROS like Sport or Bright because they're loud and stand out against the dingy arenas.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My mind went down the same path (sort of):
"If it didn't have ultra-resolution textures, it wouldn't be so bad."
"If it didn't have (sometimes slightly modified) Doom 3 enemies, it wouldn't be so bad."
"If it didn't use the Doom 3 weapon models, it wouldn't be so bad."
"If it didn't use that music, it wouldn't be so bad."

But the hypothetical mod I was constructing in my head was basically Doom with none of the benefits of existing in Doom 3's engine, so you might as well go back to playing Doom/II in whatever port you choose.

I'll maintain that the E1 remake in D3 by Flaming Sheep Software is a goddamn good remake and at least tries to make the level layout look like an actual base where people lived and worked. (The chaingun sucked, though.)

I've been looking for some decent maps that will mesh well with Hideous Destructor - decent enemy count, but nothing slaughtermap-y, small to medium rooms and plenty of cover. Besides the maps recommended by Vaecrius in his OP, anyone got any ideas?

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 19, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

I'll maintain that the [url= remake in D3 by Flaming Sheep Software[/url] is a goddamn good remake and at least tries to make the level layout look like an actual base where people lived and worked. (The chaingun sucked, though.)

drat that Classic Doom 3 looks pretty legit, I do like that they made small changes in order to make the level seem more natural with the "this is a real area" textures. I kinda wanna play it but then I'd have to install Doom 3 again...

Just watched some guy play E1M8, looked pretty nice actually definitely did justice to the level imo.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 19, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
SiN Gold is 60%-ish off on GOG this weekend as part of a promo about shooty games.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

SiN Gold is 60%-ish off on GOG this weekend as part of a promo about shooty games.

This is the real DNF, in a good way. Pick this up ASAP.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The controls in System Shock didn't seem so bad when I had played hours and hours of Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. I spent more time than was appropriate getting that game to work in every new version of Windows until Dosbox got fast enough to handle it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RichterIX posted:

The controls in System Shock didn't seem so bad when I had played hours and hours of Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. I spent more time than was appropriate getting that game to work in every new version of Windows until Dosbox got fast enough to handle it.

Terra Nova :allears: it never captured my heart the way System Shock did, but that was a fantastic game, too. And yeah, all of their DOS games -- UUW 1 and 2, System Shock, and Terra Nova -- used variations on the same control scheme.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RichterIX posted:

Oh man, Terra Nova. There's a game where I'd like to see an up res'd version. I still have my disc kicking around somewhere.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh man, Terra Nova. There's a game where I'd like to see an up res'd version. I still have my disc kicking around somewhere.

It's based on the same underlying tech as UUW1/2 and System Shock, I think, so the same techniques I used for the SS1 high resolution patch might work in TN, too. The TN UI has a lot more spritework than SS1, though, so even if this does work it might need new UI sprites hacked in as well in order to not look really messed up.

Speaking of System Shock, the SS1 devs are celebrating SS1's 20th anniversary this Sunday with a System Shock livestream with developer commentary. :frogsiren:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I played through Hellbound again. Knowing the levels made the experience a billion times more entertaining since I could focus on fighting monsters and enjoying the scenery. Does that make it good? No, but it's probably not as bad as I originally thought. Still too many slog sections and one too many times when I have to throw a switch and guess what it did. Managed to fix the brightness problem by playing in GZDoom and hitting F11 twice.

For all its faults though, it did introduce me to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNWUv_5z1c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
TOXIKK - Gameplay Reveal Trailer: http://youtu.be/xuEZyeText0