Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

PoshAlligator posted:

I don't get it, why would anyone buy an Amiibo?

Because I already spent like $150 to import a Sonic Generations collector's edition from Australia to get a cool gold ring and Sonic statue, and this is really a pretty big step down from that kind of insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They are man children who like having toys that interact with their video games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PoshAlligator posted:

I don't get it, why would anyone buy an Amiibo?
Because I want to put Kirby in my butt.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Because it rhymes with amiigo and they need friends

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I will raise my AI Link as if he were my own son

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I will raise my AI Link as if he were my own son

So lots of beatings

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Xavier434 posted:

Me too, but I never gave up! The satisfaction of figuring stuff out in that game was fantastic.

Same here! I guess what I'm getting at is that LttP can be that game for a kid, too.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Jsor posted:

Because I already spent like $150 to import a Sonic Generations collector's edition from Australia to get a cool gold ring and Sonic statue, and this is really a pretty big step down from that kind of insanity.

Out of curiosity how did you feel about that purchase in hindsight?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

TheRam posted:

Out of curiosity how did you feel about that purchase in hindsight?

I don't regret it at all. I probably wouldn't do it again, but I only planned to do something like that once. I guess I might if Nintendo did something similarly stupid with Zelda, but I find it doubtful.

E: To be clear, I'm aware of the scarf and stuff. I mean more like if there was a version of Skyward Sword with the Hyrule Historia and a full scale Master Sword that was only released in Europe or something.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 18, 2014

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Jsor posted:

I don't regret it at all. I probably wouldn't do it again, but I only planned to do something like that once. I guess I might if Nintendo did something similarly stupid with Zelda, but I find it doubtful.

E: To be clear, I'm aware of the scarf and stuff. I mean more like if there was a version of Skyward Sword with the Hyrule Historia and a full scale Master Sword that was only released in Europe or something.

Yeh I was genuinely curious. I often consider spending that kind of money even though I know it's probably stupid. I might have gone for the Bayonetta EU one which literally would be double what I paid just for a neat box with an art book and whatnot.

I can't think of a franchise I'd really go in for merchandise for now, I almost got the blue shell for MK8 too. Instead I just got a shirt that says "2nd is Best" and has a blue shell.

Get it?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I'm all about the artbooks, though those shoot up in price within months if they're any good.

The Hyrule Historia is about £12 on Amazon right now so I got that and it is delicious.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

After playing around with the games that came in today from Amazon, WWHD is amazing, Wonderful 101 is fantastic and saddening that it didn't sell more, Mario Kart 8 is awesome (mostly because I can do well in it online), and 3D World is fantastic and Cat characters are adorable. All in all very happy to get a Wii U, and glad that I was able to get really good prices for all the games on Amazon. Tomorrow Mon Hun 3 Ultimate comes in which I know is good but can't wait for.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

Darts Up was just released in the EU, it's coming out later on the US eShop.

I got a pre-release and here are my thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUUP2fQOxp0.

tl;dr it is a case of aiming the Wii U gamepad and twanging the thumbstick to shoot (it goes laser precision in a straight line). That said it's not crazy easy to get whatever you want.
Unless you just waggle the stick a bunch, because it defaults to aiming you right at the bullseye.

It is pretty much Wii Sports Darts, but I think maybe they would have done it a bit better.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey ElRammo, liked your reviews. Are you going to do one for The Fall?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

greatn posted:

Hey ElRammo, liked your reviews. Are you going to do one for The Fall?

It's not really been on my radar, but if it's recommended then I can do. I'm kind of broke, and the fact that I'm actually being given review copies now is really helping me out haha.

Just checked the release date and I'm shocked I didn't see more of it since it's so recent.

edit: oh it's another game that isn't out in the EU yet. If I ever get success then I think a US eShop Wii U would be a sound investment, assuming things don't change.

TheRam fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 18, 2014

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I was visiting my parents this past weekend and when I woke up my dad was playing Animal Crossing: City Folk for the Nintendo Wii. They have had it for probably 10 years now and he showed me that he had 14,000,000 bells which instantly struck me down with depression.

If I bought 2 Wii Us this coming holiday season would I be able to play with my parents? We would never play at the same times but just in the sense that we could visit each other's towns and plant poo poo and decorate poo poo and mail letters. I read that there was a dream sequence where there is no permanency but that is really what I am looking for since we wouldn't see each other in-game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheRam posted:

It's not really been on my radar, but if it's recommended then I can do. I'm kind of broke, and the fact that I'm actually being given review copies now is really helping me out haha.

Just checked the release date and I'm shocked I didn't see more of it since it's so recent.

edit: oh it's another game that isn't out in the EU yet. If I ever get success then I think a US eShop Wii U would be a sound investment, assuming things don't change.
The Fall is an adventure game that has a sidescrolling interface with some gun/cover combat ala Blackthorne or Flashback. You play as a combat suit AI that takes over control of a pilot's body after they get injured in a huge crash. It's pretty neat. The jumping is a little clunky though.

Decrepus posted:

If I bought 2 Wii Us this coming holiday season would I be able to play with my parents? We would never play at the same times but just in the sense that we could visit each other's towns and plant poo poo and decorate poo poo and mail letters. I read that there was a dream sequence where there is no permanency but that is really what I am looking for since we wouldn't see each other in-game.
Nintendo turned off online support for original Wii/DS titles, because they were powered by Gamespy servers, which shut down earlier this year. That game is offline only now. As far as playing on the same system, I don't know how City Folk handles multiple people/towns. The 3DS Animal Crossing lets you have a couple of different mayors/towns on the same card, but that's a newer game.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 18, 2014

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
City Folk lets up to 4 people live in one town, but not play simultaneously.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Hoping for Amiibo's that unlock characters, sort of like DLC but physical.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I'm planning to get Hyrule Warriors from game.co.uk since its a little cheaper for the download code. I'm in Ireland though and i worry that it wont work, as I understand it's all one regiion but i don't want to waste my money if it isn't. Has anyone outside the UK used codes from game in the past?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I meant if I bought Wii U and the new Animal Crossing also.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If I'm understanding you properly, I don't think a new Animal Crossing for Wii U has been announced yet so it would only be possible to speculate on what features it will have.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Smash will let you use 3DSes as controllers to save some money, right? Does each 3DS have to also own Smash or will it just send a download-play thing?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Gutcruncher posted:

Smash will let you use 3DSes as controllers to save some money, right? Does each 3DS have to also own Smash or will it just send a download-play thing?

I don't think anyone knows the specifics of how that'll work yet.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Decrepus posted:

I was visiting my parents this past weekend and when I woke up my dad was playing Animal Crossing: City Folk for the Nintendo Wii. They have had it for probably 10 years now and he showed me that he had 14,000,000 bells which instantly struck me down with depression.

If it makes you feel any better, City Folk came out in 08.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Best Buy has COD:BO2, ZombiU and Ninja Gaiden 3 for $8:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/save-on-select-wii-u-titles

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I got Super Mario 3D World for my birthday today!

I have been a cat. I have thrown fireballs and I have played as Toad.

I have had fun!

(I also got KH:3D on the 3DS, but that's not Mario :D)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zonekeeper posted:

Edit: ^ That's very true, but LoZ doesn't really have any of the sandbox elements that make minecraft popular and the "exploration" mostly consists of bombing/burning every single tile until you find a door.

Not every. One thing that was known because it was in the manual and other more common trivia of the time is that almost every screen as ONE secret. It's pretty awesome because even as a kid your mind kind of works out "okay here's where there'd be space for a door to be hidden," etc. Similar to how in even in NES Metroid it starts to click and you KNOW where a hidden passage will be and so on. It's also a great game because many of the hidden areas are unnecessary but are still very useful if you seek them out, so it kept the game fun as you were rarely truly "stuck" since you were always stumbling into new stuff.

13/f/cali posted:

If I'm understanding you properly, I don't think a new Animal Crossing for Wii U has been announced yet so it would only be possible to speculate on what features it will have.

I'm not too optimistic. Animal Crossing on Gamecube is fun and interesting, but then the DS and Wii ones were like the exact same game with minimal new content added. I feel like since the 3DS one is so well received a Wii U version will be an iteration of that rather than a new game like the 3DS one is compared to the first three. The coolest thing about Animal Crossing (besides the ENTIRE GAME being loaded into the Gamecube's memory in one second flat, you can take the disk out before the Nintendo logo even fades out completely) was setting the clock on your Gamecube way ahead and then starting your game again to find a weed filled wasteland where everyone hates you.

Gutcruncher posted:

For "preventing lag" they should bring back a link cable requirement for every one who wants to use their 3DS as a controller on the Wii U and also sell a special multi-taps so you can have four 3DSes plugged into the Wii U and a wall at the same time.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Black Ops 2 on Wii U is the worst version of the game, plus it's Black Ops 2 which unless you're really hooked on the zombie mode isn't worth it at all. ZombiU I know is polarzing but it's worth trying for $8. If you're into King's Field, Rogue-likes, or Demon's Souls it may click with you. Some good ideas, I wish it sold better because it seems like the kind of thing where if they made a sequel it would have been incredible. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is a lot of fun. The vanilla release of Ninja Gaiden 3 is embarrassingly bad in every way. For the Wii U though they completely redid the game's combat, balancing, and even many of the cutscenes to be not as horrible. It's not as good as the Sigmas or their forebears but, again for $8 it's pretty much the best (only?) beat'em up of its kind on the Wii U and worth a shot. It got ported back to the PS3 and 360 but while those systems got some additional costumes and challenge maps the game proper is identical.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 18, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm not too optimistic. Animal Crossing on Gamecube is fun and interesting, but then the DS and Wii ones were like the exact same game with minimal new content added. I feel like since the 3DS one is so well received a Wii U version will be an iteration of that rather than a new game like the 3DS one is compared to the first three.

Part of the reason the 3DS game was such a big leap over the other ones was because City Folk got bashed for being a rehash of the DS game, so I doubt they're gonna try that again for Wii U.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kin posted:

I got Super Mario 3D World for my birthday today!

I have been a cat. I have thrown fireballs and I have played as Toad.

I have had fun!

(I also got KH:3D on the 3DS, but that's not Mario :D)

happy birthday

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

is NG3 so bad its not worth 8 bucks?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kly posted:

He's played every side scrolling mario game and is absolutely fascinated by rom hacks and SMBX play throughs on youtube. Mario world and mario 3 are his favorites. Just the other day he ran downstairs in the middle of the night GBA in hand incredibly proud and excited telling us about how he beat bowser in SMW which he had been stuck on for a while. We watched the end together then sent him back up to bed.

Your kid has great taste. :) Though he probably didn't sleep much that night.

I'm going to remember the Lego game.

Louisgod posted:

On the plus side, you can do something like this:

Being pinned down by a newborn is a good excuse to sit and play games.

That's adorable.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

is NG3 so bad its not worth 8 bucks?
I heard the Wii U port was marginally better, but what I played of the original release on 360 was loving awful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

Nap time is Reyn Time! :3:

Also what up, OG Classic Controller buddy :hfive:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Razor's Edge is a big improvement over vanilla NG3 but not so much that you'd actually call it a good game. If you want a 3D action game for Wii U that's not a Platinum game or a musou game then I guess NG3 is it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Louisgod posted:

We have kids like the exact same age, but I've found it's easier to play stuff on a TV than any sort of handheld (including the gamepad) because there's less to put down and out of the way at a moment's notice.

So in SM3DW do you get locked out of the crown world by using the "safety suits" (as my other child calls them)? It doesn't matter how we get the stars/stamps/flags?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
You mean the gold Tanooki suit? Nah, you don't get permanently locked out, but you do have to replay the level without using the suit to unlock it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jsor posted:

You mean the gold Tanooki suit? Nah, you don't get permanently locked out, but you do have to replay the level without using the suit to unlock it.
Okay, "locked out" was probably a poor choice of words on my part. So we have to finish all the levels without using gold leaves to open up the last world?

That could be tricky.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Akuma posted:

Okay, "locked out" was probably a poor choice of words on my part. So we have to finish all the levels without using gold leaves to open up the last world?

That could be tricky.

Without wanting to spoil much, the last world is a pure challenge, so no gold leaves ever show up there. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at these games but to my shame I have yet to actually beat the last world after hundreds of lives lost. If just finishing the game without using a gold leaf is hard enough I wouldn't worry unless you're seriously up for the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

dr.acula posted:

Hoping for Amiibo's that unlock characters, sort of like DLC but physical.

I too can't wait for $12+shipping versions of a single piece of DLC that will only be available as long as a physical figurine exists

• Locked thread