Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

XboxPants posted:

Because there's a huge logical fallacy here being made by everyone on the board. The devs have said that they didn't like the old mechanic. That does not mean, or even imply, that they like the new one or that it's final, yet everyone is acting like that's the case even when it's an obviously broken system in the nightly branch of a beta.

They took one broken system and replaced it with a new broken system one. Chill out, it's dailies, it's not going to last. Getting freaked out by this is no more sensible than getting freaked out about cave removals.

You're right I am sure the point of public testing is that they absolutely do not want any feedback from the public what so ever.

Please then, tell me what I am allowed to post in the Starbound thread what I am allowed to think about the game as a whole.

That was sarcasm. I am not actually going to do as you tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

XboxPants posted:

Because there's a huge logical fallacy here being made by everyone on the board. The devs have said that they didn't like the old mechanic. That does not mean, or even imply, that they like the new one or that it's final, yet everyone is acting like that's the case even when it's an obviously broken system in the nightly branch of a beta.

They took one broken system and replaced it with a new broken system one. Chill out, it's dailies, it's not going to last. Getting freaked out by this is no more sensible than getting freaked out about cave removals.

Yeah I agree that playing nightly builds and getting together online to express opinions, experiences, and feedback is totally "freaking out" and not a means of discussing said nightly builds and the temporary changes they include. If a tentative change turns out to be almost universally disliked, that surely means that people are arbitrarily angry and should be ignored, especially if their feedback was specifically invited.

If you want to be the "quit gettin' mad at video games" guy you should probably find some people who are legitimately mad at video games, instead of beta testing video games and idly talking about video games.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ToastyPotato posted:

Or it was already stated that it isn't a bug and that it is a design choice that they prefer.

This isn't what they said. All they said was that they didn't like the old system.

Anyway I never told anyone what to say or not, just that I thought some peoples' ideas didn't make sense. Am I not allowed to disagree with you in the same way that you're allowed to disagree with the devs?

I guess to have some actual Starbound discussion, what seems like a simple temporary fix to me would be to just make ores not spawn in sand. But that would be functionally identical to the current implementation so it really doesn't matter at all.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 17, 2014

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Have they ever talked about Steam workshop? I know it hasn't been great for a few games like Skyrim where you basically needed external tools to get mods working, but with how simple it is to add mods already I feel like it would have been perfect for Starbound.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

THF13 posted:

Have they ever talked about Steam workshop? I know it hasn't been great for a few games like Skyrim where you basically needed external tools to get mods working, but with how simple it is to add mods already I feel like it would have been perfect for Starbound.

This seems like a really good question... why did they bother making that entire huge mod system on their website when they could have just used Workshop? Steam Workshop was available back then, right? It seems it'd be much easier for the users.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The sand/gravel eating contents thing is terrible and actively punishes players without an even half-way decent reason. Punishing people because stuff spawned in sand/gravel you may/may not be able to mine yet via an anti-sandbox progression system is not going to earn Chucklefish any goodwill from players.

However the issue with the MM got feedback which was taken in to account, so with any luck they'll listen to feedback and at the last, revert sand/gravel to how it was. Ideally removing any sort of forced tiering for mining materials. If someone wants to break out their iron-quality mining tool and spend a minute slowly mining that solarioum or whatever then let them. Technology's already gated so it's not like you could start a new character and crank out Impervium gear after finding a deposit of ore on the planet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

XboxPants posted:

This isn't what they said. All they said was that they didn't like the old system.

Anyway I never told anyone what to say or not, just that I thought some peoples' ideas didn't make sense. Am I not allowed to disagree with you in the same way that you're allowed to disagree with the devs?

You weren't simply disagreeing with me. You were telling me that I had no reason to have my opinion and then smugly suggested that I should stop playing nightlies while quoting the definition of a nightly build. You were also flat out wrong when you attempted to call me out on how simple of a fix changing the ore properties was, and the wording of your post made it seem like you were just trying to brush my suggestion off with a "pffft you probably don't get programming" type argument.

Babe Magnet asked what was up about the changed. The response he got suggested this current change is preferable to the old way and that they implemented it on purpose. I and others in this thread think this new change is not preferable for the reasons we have stated. You can disagree with that, but don't go around telling people that they are wrong for criticizing a test build and that they should stop playing test builds altogether. That's not disagreeing, that is you trying to control the conversation, which you don't get to do.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

no matter what i'm going to blame obama for all of this

thanks obama

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

The sand/gravel eating contents thing is terrible and actively punishes players without an even half-way decent reason. Punishing people because stuff spawned in sand/gravel you may/may not be able to mine yet via an anti-sandbox progression system is not going to earn Chucklefish any goodwill from players.

It will be much more difficult to balance the entire Desert planet type against every other planet type if that single planet lets you mine way, way faster than all the other ones. CF is doing poorly enough at mining speed balance as it is, and they're trying to set up the game systems so they'll be easier for them to balance. Why isn't that a half-way decent reason?

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 17, 2014

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Poor CF won't someone think of them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

XboxPants posted:

It will be much more difficult to balance the entire Desert planet type against every other planet type if that single planet lets you mine way, way faster than all the other ones. CF is doing poorly enough at mining speed balance as it is, and they're trying to set up the game systems so they'll be easier for them to balance. Why isn't that a half-way decent reason?

That's a bit of a silly argument considering sand and gravel can spawn on tons of different planets, and ore progression is still gated by planet level determining which ores spawn. A better compromise would simply be to lower the frequency or average tier of ore on desert planets to compensate for the increased amount of sand to dig up, meaning they're still great for getting early characters off the ground or stocking up on shitloads of coal (because holy gently caress you need way too much coal) and can quickly get you a bit of several different types of ore, but it takes a little bit more effort to amass a shitload of gold or scrounge together the Hugetonium needed to create the Space Demon Summoning Portal so you can kill the boss and get the thing.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

One of the reasons I'm arguing about this is because the game just has so many issues that are so much worse and so much deeper. There are such serious problems with even the basic gameplay loop.

Like, I was watching some let's play videos recently, and I remembered how little incentive there is to build any long-term base. You build houses on the first few planets you visit, but you quickly realize that the most fun, most rewarding way to play is to move fairly quickly from planet to planet, especially as you open up new sectors. Which is all cool, you find lots of fun new things, but if there's no real reason to ever return to your old worlds... it makes it feel really pointless to spend any effort building or terraforming them or setting up big travel systems or whatever.

I know people talked about this issue on the board back in the day. Did anyone ever come up with any good solutions? It seems like a pretty deeply ingrained problem, and I don't really remember Chucklefish ever talking about it. I know they've mentioned making it worthwhile to visit planets from old tech tiers later in the game, but that doesn't really address the problem since you'd still be better off just visiting a new world rather than your old one.

Angry Diplomat posted:

A better compromise would simply be to lower the frequency or average tier of ore on desert planets to compensate for the increased amount of sand to dig up, meaning they're still great for getting early characters off the ground or stocking up on shitloads of coal (because holy gently caress you need way too much coal) and can quickly get you a bit of several different types of ore, but it takes a little bit more effort to amass a shitload of gold or scrounge together the Hugetonium needed to create the Space Demon Summoning Portal so you can kill the boss and get the thing.

I agree.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 17, 2014

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

Poor CF won't someone think of them.

Please consider the multi-million dollar publishing corporations and how your reasoned criticisms might hurt their feelings!

XboxPants posted:

Because, as you've already noted repeatedly, Chucklefish shouldn't be worried about balancing the game right now. Ore drops and getting rid of sand surfing are attempts at "balancing" mining while a chunk of systems that will affect it still aren't in.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Afraid of Audio and Devour of Fire are the thread's two greatest heroes IMO

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

NotALizardman posted:

Please consider the multi-million dollar publishing corporations and how your reasoned criticisms might hurt their feelings!

Because, as you've already noted repeatedly, Chucklefish shouldn't be worried about balancing the game right now. Ore drops and getting rid of sand surfing are attempts at "balancing" mining while a chunk of systems that will affect it still aren't in.

They're like 6 people in an office, but yeah it doesn't hurt em to have an opinion on their game. Also it really should be about getting systems in first and tweaking afterwards you're totally right.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I didn't know they removed sand mining. That was fun. :smith:

Contacting Steam to demand refund now. Class action incoming? :supaburn:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I know people talked about this issue on the board back in the day. Did anyone ever come up with any good solutions? It seems like a pretty deeply ingrained problem, and I don't really remember Chucklefish ever talking about it. I know they've mentioned making it worthwhile to visit planets from old tech tiers later in the game, but that doesn't really address the problem since you'd still be better off just visiting a new world rather than your old one.

Well, there are multiple independent progression paths - you can make money through farming and renting space out to NPCs. You'll be able to build settlements.

Also they are adding player owned space stations which seem to be intended to be collaborative construction efforts for friends, with the ship being an individual thing

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah once settlement stuff and, mostly, farming gets in, you'll have a pretty good reason to make a huge base if only to take care of your farming operation. It would be much easier to pop back into to a low level planet briefly than it would be to keep digging everything up and moving it. Maybe low level planets make crops grow slower to compensate, or whatever.

Do crops grow when you're not nearby in the dailies yet? I remember that being one of the first big mods.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Since farming is going to be a big(?) part of the game eventually, I hope they add some kind of crop vacuum. Mashing E like a jerk gets kinda old after the 20th pass.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Someone already modded in auto harvesting and planting farmbots

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devour or Fire posted:

I'll agree the recent combat update looks good

How is Crea coming along, anyway? I sort of lost interest a while ago.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Vib Rib posted:

I sort of lost interest a while ago.

And repeat for all users.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Creap

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

I am going to pimp the gently caress out of this space train. I am going to do it!

Wonder if trees will grow inside with enough ceiling room?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Devour or Fire posted:

I'll agree the recent combat update looks good

That combat looks like a lot of fun. I guess thats a different game and now I'm sad.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Literally Kermit posted:

I am going to pimp the gently caress out of this space train. I am going to do it!

Wonder if trees will grow inside with enough ceiling room?
Holy poo poo even all the compartments are different colors. :dance:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any Starbound goon servers floating around to play on? Looks like one of the threads in PGS got locked for long time server maintenance.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Avocados posted:

Are there any Starbound goon servers floating around to play on? Looks like one of the threads in PGS got locked for long time server maintenance.

Multiplayer is dead until a stable release happens.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ColHannibal posted:

Game is dead

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Dandywalken posted:

Afraid of Audio and Devour of Fire are the thread's two greatest heroes IMO

To be fair I mostly check this thread to see them post.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Here's a partial changelog for the next stable update, guys:

quote:

The following is a small number of the changes coming in the next update. There's lots more and we're still working on it!

* fix tier 10 chair alignments
* Add piping tiles
* Add ash weather
* Added new weather sound loops
* Added spacedust shower weather
* Added fog weather
* Improved variant < > lua handling
* Added outpost, including large number of outpost npcs, items, objects, etc. Outposts serve as a central hub for buying, selling and taking quests.
* Damage on traps tweaked
* Agaran story arc additions
* Added wind storms
* Added ship upgrades, ships grow larger and unlock new technology
* Added 'moon stone' ore, name will likely change
* Improved songbook UI
* Ship requires power and teleporter enabled before allowing beam down
* New ship upgrade items
* Added Agaran micro dungeons
* Navigator remade and improved, shows far more data on planet conditions, more attractive UI
* Network support for updating central structure in worlds
* Added ember weather
* Anchor block configuration support
* Add spacejunk weather
* Fix a number of object offsets
* Added greenhouse random encounter
* Fix Lua <-> C++ conversion with maps consisting of integers
* Added shroom disguise hat
* Ability to see planet sub biome from nav
* Ability to see gravity on Nav UI
* Ability to see weather on Nav UI
* Ability to see hazards on Nav UI
* All objects are now technically wire objects, allowing all sorts of object scripting/modding possibilities
* Added giant floran pod object
* Matter Manipulator graphic improved
* Weather easier to configure and add new weathers
* Added giant pod 2 object
* Weather is now client controlled
* Fix edge case array assignment in c++ lua api
* Fix damage poly rotation in rotated projectiles
* Massively revamped combat
* Massive number of monster changes, vast number of new attacks, new behaviours, new knockback and physics
* Monster attacks now based on the visual parts of the monster
* Monster palettes now configurable on a per biome basis
* New giant flying monster types
* Massive number of weapon changes, ability to block and parry, aimable swords
* Massive number of shield changes, guard crush mechanic
* Added Staff weapons for sci-fi style 'magic'
* Touching most monsters no longer hurts the player
* Added a way to access the stage of a farmable via lua
* Added case insensitive option to regexMatch, case sensitive by default
* Added treasure underground biome
* Added new function to lua API to get item descriptor (not just name)
* Fixed issue where Grappling hook sometimes causes a crash
* Added ability to fine tune where and when biomes appear
* Introduced an alternate way to specify a Rect variant
* Items can now suppress movement whilst being used
* made preview images flippable for asymmetric tiered doors
* Added stun state to monsters
* fixed sitting position in tier3chair
* Add a lua-side poly collision resolver
* Fully scriptable items with huge modding potential
* Per Wulf_Oman and Mackinz on reddit, fixed some inconsistencies with fuel amounts
* Added harvesting power to harvesting tools
* Added lua bindings to fireable items
* Fixed issue with deprecated information in certain shields
* attacks adjust distance based on monster size
* Guns are now scripted
* New sword for cell cave minibiome
* New crystal minibiome spear
* Added heck knife
* Added getLightColor to pair to setLightColor per modder request
* Added coral breakables for coral caves
* Added coral cleaver
* Slime minibiome additions
* Added homing missiles for monster usage
* Added hive hammers
* Added Shattergun weapons
* Tons of new sound FX
* Player now walks when moving backwards
* New gravity range
* zen garden underground minibiome
* Added stingergun weapon
* melee projectile offset now configurable from .monstertype
* New monster spawning system
* Monsters spawn differently at night
* Monsters are now spawned differently underground
* Big improvements to monster art
* fix tier4door position
* Admin authentication on login
* Lots of projectile graphics improvements
* Kicking and banning added amongst other admin commands
* Added light globe launcher
* Cell biome gun added
* Added new cursors
* Lua modding is possible now on Server Side commands
* Monsters hop on the spot and make a sound to show they're aggroed (it's really cute)
* Monster growls etc removed entirely, monsters now only make sounds when they do something
* Added fixed camera mode
* Draggable slider bars
* Human hair accent colours configurable with underwear colour (Via Kawa)
* Some human hair style changes
* Added barren biome
* Ability to spawn player directly into dungeons
* Added a way of accessing the owner's aim position to the lua api
* Added access to the image metadata database to lua
* Make it so that you can specify collision blocks manually
* Ship now has on board AI called S.A.I.L that guides player through missions, and handles ship upgrades amongst other things.
* Expanded tutorial
* Fix wire node selection bug
* Better wire rendering
* light source color is network aware
* Almost all lights in the game can now be switched on and off via wiring
* Add liquid sensor object
* Added light sensor wiring object
* Fixed up proximity sensor
* Added the ability to control light pulsing/flickering
* Random Guns now support powerProjectiles and (even better) config pass through
* Selling interface
* Massively improved forests
* Make microwave flip appropriately.
* New mission selection UI for prebuilt missions (not to be confused with quests)
* Moon base missions
* Sword damage poly changes
* Combat music changed entirely, less annoying
* New hylotl damage sounds
* New avian damage sounds
* New "Essential Bar" beneath player hotbar. Stores matter manipulator, paint tool and wire tool, with hotkeys
* Ship reboot sequence
* Matter Manipulator reboot sequence
* Fix upgrade cutscene
* Core fragment ore
* Lots of UI changes and fixes
* Add new 'Jupiter' music track
* New unlit options on lighting
* Teleporter enable sound
* Item holster and equip sounds
* Bones now cascade
* Add harvest level system to tile damage
* Drills, pickaxes and other mining tools now break permanently but have far greater power. Provide temporary mining boost.
* Matter Manipulator can now be permanently upgraded and improved
* Upgraded Matter Manipulator can now suck up liquids
* Player death sounds
* Large number of turret improvements, turrets now have item slot and will fire any gun equipped
* Rebalance ropes
* Rebalance hunger
* Recipes now no longer require pixels for the most part
* Ores and Bars are now dropped on death by default
* Monsters can now have different spawn profiles (ability to create swarms etc)
* New bow art
* Rebalanced chests
* Updated platinum art
* Updated lots of art with colour blindness in mind
* Massive change to how tiles are rendered, provides vast performance increase across the board
* Iron furnace added
* Diagonal doors added
* Once a monster has been aggroed, it will attack again on sight
* Fixed Girders
* Added a bunch of new tiles/blocks/platforms/pipes
* Redrew many human armors
* Blocks can now give off light
* Add mining chests
* Added huge mysterious gates (give access to various hubs throughout the universe)
* Added lots of Avian microdungeons
* Added wilderness sword
* Added Novakid species
* Added Novakid armors
* Added Novakid weapons
* Added Novakid ships
* Added Iron crafting table
* Added ability to delete character from character selection
* Added 'sci-fi anvil' (will be renamed)
* Added 'sci-fi furnace' (will be renamed)
* Added manipulator table
* Added accelerator table
* Added separator table
* Added windchime item
* Ability to add instanced worlds
* Ability to add worlds that consist of only a dungeons
* Objects and NPCs can now give quests
* Quests can now require turn in
* Shroom biome hammer
* Revamping temperature system, player is now either 'too hot' or 'too cold', no sliding scale
* Floran mission created
* Ability to add on/off sound to lights
* Fix medkit animation
* Improved ores, bars and ingots
* New smelting system more in line with crafting system, allows for smelting with multiple ingredients
* Updated capture pod graphic
* Massive change to the damage/projectile system, you should no longer see your projectile go through enemies
* Massive updates to netcode to improve performance
* Added ability to upgrade essential items
* Added oil as a fuel
* Mouse no longer renders during cinematics
* Added unique enemies to moon base mission
* Added large number of staves / spells for all different races
* A vast number of balance changes
* A completely new progression system, with branching options and more logical progress through the universe. Completely changes how the game is played.
* Added dirt trapdoors
* Added new starting planet biome, garden biome
* Added rock items
* Added large portcullis object
* Added death warning and falling rock signs
* Added trap chest
* Added bone spikes
* Added Acid light
* Added cave art
* Added skull torch
* Terrain generation changes
* Make caves less flat
* Made system for finding a solar system that matches developer specific requirements more robust
* More Floran creatures
* Fix Human dagger graphics
* Change starting planet size
* Quest turn in indicators
* Quest log UI updated
* Added research table for discovering new crafting lines / for modders to add their own crafting lines to
* Massive change to status effects opens them up for modding, gives them all the abilities of tech

Source

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Well, looks like I'm gonna have to start working on my mod soon.

You guys ever figure out a plan for monster sounds? I know you were working out what sound effects you wanted to use a while back

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well there was the time I drunkcalled supernorn at 4am and sorta made walrus sounds, but I'unno if he ever got around to converting that into FLAC format.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

WarpedNaba posted:

Well there was the time I drunkcalled supernorn at 4am and sorta made walrus sounds, but I'unno if he ever got around to converting that into FLAC format.

"Drunkcalling SuperNorn" is my garage band name, please do not infringe on my copyrights.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Supernorn posted:

Here's a partial changelog for the next stable update, guys:

Apparently, Chucklefish hasn't heard that the game is dead.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

Apparently, Chucklefish hasn't heard that the game is dead.

Clearly the game being dead was all a conspiracy rumor started by CF themselves in order to stop modders from :tinfoil:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That changelist was blank, nice joke, CF hasn't been working on this game.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Avocados posted:

I'll be putting my server back up most likely right before the next large update that seems to be creeping closer. Looking forward to jumping back in with you guys!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm hoping there is a mod that removes the dumb drop ore and bars on death thing ASAP. Or at least makes it toggable. Dropping stuff is fine if you want to play a harder game, but sometimes you just want to chill and explore and build and losing a ton of stuff you found deep down in the depths of a planet doesn't sound too fun. Unless it never despawns, and it is just a matter of getting back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm hoping there is a mod that removes the dumb drop ore and bars on death thing ASAP. Or at least makes it toggable. Dropping stuff is fine if you want to play a harder game, but sometimes you just want to chill and explore and build and losing a ton of stuff you found deep down in the depths of a planet doesn't sound too fun. Unless it never despawns, and it is just a matter of getting back to it.

Yeah, there are times when I'd be into a hardcore system like that but largely I'd want to disable or at least change it into despawning, like you mention. A toggle (hardcore mode or whatever) would be a perfectly good solution. It would be really cool if you could just have that as an option set for individual characters, and even people with different settings could still play together and all go by whatever rule they wanted. I guess who knows maybe it won't even despawn like Vadun said a few pages ago.

Party Alarm posted:

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to start working on my mod soon.

There's some really cool poo poo in there, definitely makes me feel the itch to mod. Specifically the Status system revamp will be incredible for biome makers, since Weather and Fluids (and maybe even terrain objects?) will be able to have just as much insane versatility as Techs. You'll be able to make some really crazy loving biomes if you want. My dream will forever be a bounce-house biome. The lakes and oceans can be replaced with ball pits.

• Locked thread