Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Boogaleeboo posted:

and as is now painfully obvious the world level makes most of these people look like children. Nobody that mediocre should be that in love with his abilities.

e: Itagaki is only qualified to teach people how to fail and die alone and unloved.

The Legend of Strongest Man Makunouchi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Best case scenarios to make the manga interesting again:

1) Ippo and co. actually learn how to become skillful, well-rounded boxers and Ippo actually gets good fights like Vorg's championship bout.

2) Morikawa gives up and literally makes it like a shounen battle manga and the fake superpowers become real superpowers. Like Ippo learns how to use his "Tekken" from the Woli fight and it literally turns his fists into iron. Itagaki moves so fast he becomes one with the speed force, and travels through time to win the match before it starts somehow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fabricated posted:

1) Ippo and co. actually learn how to become skillful, well-rounded boxers and Ippo actually gets good fights like Vorg's championship bout.

2) Morikawa gives up and literally makes it like a shounen battle manga and the fake superpowers become real superpowers. Like Ippo learns how to use his "Tekken" from the Woli fight and it literally turns his fists into iron. Itagaki moves so fast he becomes one with the speed force, and travels through time to win the match before it starts somehow.

It would be neat if he sent Ippo to train with some outboxers or something to learn either evasion or some counters. Maybe Miyata's dad would use it as an opportunity to make up with the gym or something.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Oh god Reverse Itagaki is the most terrifying thing. How do you get more smug than Itagaki?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Itagaki's confidence is simply there to underline the differences between him and Ippo. Ippo is timid and humble, whereas Itagaki is exuberant and confident. Both of which can be irritating in their own ways. I prefer Itagaki's "smugness" to Ippo, who basically thinks of himself as still just a worthless rookie who only got as far as he did because of other people (Kamogawa, Takamura, and all of his previous opponents). He has no belief in himself. Itagaki is good and he knows it, but it gets to his head which is what causes his mistakes and losses. He's a more interesting character to me.

Also I really enjoy his matches. I'm curious to see how the later ones will work in animated form once he's learned to tap into the speedforce.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Itagaki at least seems to try and improve. He's a smuggo poo poo but he at least tries to figure out what's wrong with his style and approach rather than just "Hmm, I hear this dude throws hooks. Hey Kamogawa, what did you do to avoid hooks 60 years ago?"

Ippo only ever does physical training, or training to combat the opponent's gimmick. Like how many times has Ippo literally trained so he can eat punches without going down? Like a lot if I recall.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The past couple chapters would be an interesting turn if I had any faith Morikawa wasn't too much of a hack to do anything interesting with it. As it is it just seems like a way to toss everything back to square one.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

Are Ahista no Joe and RRR the only boxing mangas that have ended?

Check out Bakudan. By Miyashita Akira. It's a fairly slow start, but starts to speed up a bit after he gets his license.

Linnear fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 21, 2014

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Fuyu Hanabi has some boxing, but it's more of a romantic story/coming to terms with your own strenghts than anything else. Still, pretty much better than what Ippo has become.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

The past couple chapters would be an interesting turn if I had any faith Morikawa wasn't too much of a hack to do anything interesting with it. As it is it just seems like a way to toss everything back to square one.

would you be happier if he had won y/n

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

DamnGlitch posted:

would you be happier if he had won y/n

I would be if he won but got injured and couldn't fight the champ, so he had to reevaluate his poo poo before going against whoever the #1 was then going up against ricardo... as it is it feels like it's going to take loving forever to end this lol

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
did Boys on the Run end? I think it did, but hasn't been fully translated? It's not really about boxing I guess and it's exceptionally painful to read, but in a way that is intentional at least.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

New chapter.
http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1072

He can still walk by himself after that beatdown, with just some bandages to the head. Total bullshit. Other than that this 'might' go in a direction that actually brings some character development. For any other manga i'd say 'will definitely go' though. Either way we're heading for depression town for the next 5-10 chapters or so.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder who they'll have him fight on his comeback. In real boxing it's usually some poor catcher that gets picked out for a humiliating beatdown.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
The weirdly sycophantic crowd hive mind is something that's always bugged me about this manga.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Eustace posted:

The weirdly sycophantic crowd hive mind is something that's always bugged me about this manga.
Japanese are more polite I guess? Only way I can explain it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm far more interested in what Takamura's upcoming arc is going to be than Ippo's. I hope he get's more focus for a little while.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bisse posted:

New chapter.
http://www.mangareader.net/hajime-no-ippo/1072

He can still walk by himself after that beatdown, with just some bandages to the head. Total bullshit. Other than that this 'might' go in a direction that actually brings some character development. For any other manga i'd say 'will definitely go' though. Either way we're heading for depression town for the next 5-10 chapters or so.

Seems like they left it on a fairly high note in the last panel at least.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Garrand posted:

I'm far more interested in what Takamura's upcoming arc is going to be than Ippo's. I hope he get's more focus for a little while.

He's got to. He's gonna win 5 world title belts or whatever, and it's been over a thousand chapters and he's got only 2. It's getting ridiculous, they have to move it forward a bit!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Also, I think they are hinting at a few things.. one that Takamura was unhappy with the Coach's methods and two that something is hosed up with his eye which was foreshadowed like ages ago

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm going to be so pissed if it just turns out that Takamura isn't actually mad at coach's methods and is just upset that the coach was let down by Ippo and that he won't let him down. That's really more of an Ippo style thing and not at all like Takamura, but god drat this manga sometimes.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
That's definitely why he's mad. For some reason all of the dudes really love this abusive old man who deliberately has them suffer much more damage than neccessary to prove a point. Kamogawa is really really unlikable so it doensn't come off too good!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Idk, I may be giving to much faith to it but it really looks like to me that Takamura is unhappy about something, and he does that eye-cover thing, the same eye I think that was hinted at being damaged like 500 chapters ago or whatever. It would be interesting if there was a "your style is seriously going to get us loving killed" story or something

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I don't disagree that it would be interesting, but that's just one more reason why I think you're wrong about it happening in this particular story. When Ippo got killed in the ring Takamura was not looking at Ippo and saying "this should never happen!", he was looking at the coach and urging him to not be sad because he'll always have Takamura. "This should never happen" refers to the old sociopath being sad and not Ippo and Itagaki getting nearly murdered for lack of proper training.

It's really funny how the series always manages to elicit the wrong emotions, at least for me personally.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Simoom posted:

I don't disagree that it would be interesting, but that's just one more reason why I think you're wrong about it happening in this particular story. When Ippo got killed in the ring Takamura was not looking at Ippo and saying "this should never happen!", he was looking at the coach and urging him to not be sad because he'll always have Takamura. "This should never happen" refers to the old sociopath being sad and not Ippo and Itagaki getting nearly murdered for lack of proper training.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this is (unfortunately) the correct interpretation.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah upon a reread I think you're right.. it's a shame, considering those panels I at least think can be misinterpreted. But it does look like he's not thinking of the coach as a "wtf are you doing" and more of a "im sorry ippo didn't follow your lessons" or some poo poo. Annoying

But idk, earlier in the series I feel they hit the emotional points almost perfectly. There were so so many great moments, it may just be acase of fatigue now tho

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
1000 chapters later, Ippo finally wants to win.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

New chapter up, in which Ippo decides he wants to win.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

At least it didn't take him 4 months of wallowing in self pity while Takamura does stuff.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ippo you didn't lose because you weren't determined enough, you lost because your boxing style sucks. Hope this helps

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
It's nice to see umezawa again. Wonder if he will ever write his boxing manga: Ashita no Ippo.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I actually kind of liked it and thought it addressed something really annoying about Ippo! One of the worst parts of his fights is definitely the whole aww shucks! attitude he has 24/7.

then again i loving hate takamura and wish this was a series about Aoki and Kimura so my opinions may be bad!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'd prefer a Sendo-focused series, myself.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Incoming Ippo powerup from being trained by Takamura. He'll learn to actually dodge punches trying not to get killed by Takamura sparring full speed with him. His new sixth sense ability will be called something like "Samurai Instinct" or some poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TriffTshngo posted:

I'd prefer a Sendo-focused series, myself.

They did that already.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Trailer for the new game came out.

http://youtu.be/m4Oe5i_6IAI

Seems like it might be fun. I hope there's a VS mode.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
I just want to see Takamura verbally destroy Ippo. Surely this can't be too much to ask?

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
that would mean having to listen to takamura so yeah it is too much to ask! i cannot stand how he's whatever the author needs at any time. Ready to give serious mode speeches on how boxing can't be taken lightly and poo poo, and then ready to go out into a championship match dressed like a loving bug and doing whatever the hell he wants. gently caress that guy!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Toshimo posted:

They did that already.

Yeah. Probably the best thing they've done since eagle, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Simoom posted:

doing whatever the hell he wants. gently caress that guy!

This quote is the entire point of Takamura's character.