Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have to say, pulping a neck is new for me. Good thing there is nothing critical in the neck area like a spine, arteries, windpipe, or anything that would make a fighter die when their neck ceases to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jazzimus Prime posted:

:monocle: Maybe this is the problem that others have been having with macros.

To load a macro, hit Ctrl-L, select the macro, AND THEN HIT ENTER TO LOAD THE MACRO INTO MEMORY.

After that, you may hit Ctrl-P to run the macro.

Only one macro may be in memory at a time, so whichever macro you load into memory will replace the one that was in memory before.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. That does work..!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Jack the Lad posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. That does work..!

I should go back and change the commissioners' instructions to make that step clear. I can't really fault anyone for not making any assumptions when it comes to the DF interface.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I really thought we were doomed, for that fight. Thank Armok for martial trance! Must have been the sight of the Goblin that did it :)

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Picks are freaking nasty.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I thought it would at least be close!

I had no idea martial trances were that nasty. Every single strike aimed at Altoid was cleanly dodged that round. Crazy.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I did zero testing with that build, glad to see it's paying off B)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm sad that Tiger Uppercut will punch no more. The few strikes that did hit were pretty drat impressive though. Wish that bite to the neck had a little more force to it, given that it bruised the bone.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

I'm sad that Tiger Uppercut will punch no more.

Your team has at least two more fights. :colbert:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Altoid: murder dwarf. The combat log for a long section just reads: Altoid bashes Vincent Van Gob in various body parts.

I thought it would be a more even match - there go all my dorfbucks.

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 18, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If there's anyone who still thinks that Jazz shouldn't have reduced the initial point amount, here's something interesting to consider:

Imagine a molemarian somehow getting past the group stage, regardless of its own fighting capability.

It would have 2*1600=3200 points to spend, allowing it to afford the following:

• Adamantine mail suit 12*90*1.25=1350 points
  • Adamantine helm 12*75*1.25=1125 points
  • Adamantine high boots 12*40*1.25=600 points
  • Leather armor 0.75*80*1.25=75 points
  • IN TOTAL: 3150 points

(If you add the 10% bonus for not spending points in round 1, it can even afford a pair iron greaves, protecting its lower body and upper legs from blunt weapons.)

Congratulations, you have a nigh-impenetrably armored monster that cannot feel pain. The only way to stop it is to bash it in the head repeatedly with something heavy, and even then, its skull is thick enough to handle several hits that get past the ridiculously hard helm it has. And there's plenty of legs to distract an attacker, and it will never ever faint, so there will be no easy head smashing here. I doesn't even need eyes to know where you are, for it can smell your fear.

(Just for the record, cutting off both of its lower arms wouldn't be enough to make it bleed to death)
edit: Hmmm... Actually, its possible, it turns out. You need to cut the hands first, and then the lower arms a bit later. Still, takes a long while for this to actually happen.

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 18, 2014

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
I am really disappointed in the amount of shield bashing my Snakeman did though (none).

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Test Tournament 2 match whatever:siren:

Today we will witness gladitorial combat between The Kitten Appreciation Society and Habeas Corpses!

On the left side of the arena is The Kitten Appreciation Society. Fighters are: Noserubbed the Kobold, Charity the female Moleperson, aptly named Lumberelf, and Suns Out Guns Out the troll. Managers are Neurion, Tunicate, Pickled Tink, and Lorrdernie.

On the right side of the arena is Habeas Corpses. Fighers are: Bring the Pain the Moleman, The Obituator the Antwoman, Yetti Page... a yeti, and Gavin Henson the Dark Gnome. Managers are VladtTheEater, Ablative, A good poster, and goatface.

The Kitten Appreciation charges in a ragged line while Habeas Corpses maintains fighting ranks.

Three things happen in the opening second of combat. Charity the moleman bites Bring the Pain in the arm, tearing muscle. Noserubbed takes that opening and stabs Bring the Pain in the left arm which fractures bone. Luckily Bring the Pain is a righty and does not drop his weapon. Down a bit from the molemen Lumberelf hacks Yetti Page in the left foot, bringing the giant fighter to the ground.

The other fighters join the fray after the initial exchange of blows. Lumberelf tries to take Yetti Page's head off, but only suceeds in tearing apart the neck fat. The moleman Bring the Pain strikes the other molewoman Charity with a whip which fractures her right rear leg. Below the X in the center is Bring the Pain who is now severely pissed at everyone. Noserubbed comes to Charity's rescue and stabs Bring the Pain in the left arm again, but this only serves to piss off the surrounded Moleman.

Yetti Page and Suns Out Guns Out dodge each others blows, Charity continues biting Bring the Pain, and The Obituator gets a solid blow against the troll Suns Out Guns Out which fractures his left arm. Suns Out Guns Out retaliates with a blow to The Obituator's lower right leg which explodes into a million pieces. It's now The Obituator's turn to become enraged.

Skipping a screenshot of everyone standing there with no change from the last screenshot and will describe the fight for a bit if that's alright. If it's not, gently caress you.

Noserubbed and Charity continue beating on Bring the Pain. Noserubbed has stabbed the moleman multiple times and cut almost every limb he has. Bring the Pain finally falls over and the Antwoman The Obituator falls down immediately after since her leg was just destroyed.

Gavin Henson dives into the fight, but cannot manage a solid blow. He dodges a few attacks which brings him closer to other opponents which then attack in turn.

Suns Out Guns Out has the enraged antwoman on the ground and decides to gore her in the arm. The arm explodes into a million pieces. The Obituator now has a normal number of limbs after losing two. There is a lot of biting, dodging by both the large and small fighters, and then The Obituator hacks Charity's left foot clean off!

As you can see, the fighters have dodged all over the arena except for the three that are grounded.

Noserubbed continues to stab Bring the Pain in his limbs, this time breaking the right hand of the moleman. Yetti Page's maul connects with Noserubbed the kobold two or three times in a row, but since the yeti is grounded it does nothing more than bruise the small fighter. Noserubbed gets sick of the poo poo and stabs Yetti Page in the arm, causing the Yeti to faint from pain. At the same time Suns Out Guns Out strikes The Obituator again, crushing the second right hand into a pulp. The Antwoman passes out from pain immediately after.

For those of you keeping score at home the tally is: Team Kitten has 4 fighters able to move, while Habeas Corpses has 2 unconscious fighters.

Yetti Page is the first fighter struck down in the fight. Noserubbed yanks his dagger free and looks for a new opponent. If you'll note the screenshot there is a tree-loving hippy elf (Lumberelf) sitting way off to the side not doing poo poo. He dodged down there like 50 lines of combat ago and hasnt moved since. He is uninjured, but maybe he's got the thousand yard stare going on.

In an odd Dwarf Fortress quirk, Suns Out Guns Out smashed The Obituary's head in (and sent her flying) just before the Yetti was killed. The antwomans head exploded into gore, she is clearly dead, but the combat log does not say this until the body comes to a rest by smashing into her downed teammate Bring the Pain. Technically the first kill should be awarded to Suns Out Guns Out, but that's not what the combat log says.

Now we've got a 4v2 matchup on our hands. Habeas Corpses has only Gavin Henson the tiny dark gnome who is uninjured. Bring the Pain is his teammate, but the large moleman is down with a hundred injuries and unable to stand.

In a stunning display of axemanship, the sissy elf Lumberelf charges back into the fray and strikes Gavin Henson from behind. The axe cleaves through the small fighters neck, seperating his head from his body.

The only fighter left is Bring the Pain for Habeas Corpses. This does not look good.

That was fast. Suns Out Guns Out gets his second kill of the match by hammering the molemans chest into a puddle of goo.

The Kitten Appreciation Society wins with a stunning 4-0 victory over Habeas Corpses.
Killcount: Suns Out Guns Out with 2, Lumberelf with 1, Noserubbed with 1. Charity kept the other moleman from engaging anyone by grabbing hold with her teeth and not letting go, but was not able to get a kill with teeth alone.

Combat Log

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Elves are sneaky gits.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

my dad posted:

Elves are sneaky gits.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

my dad posted:

Elves are sneaky gits.

And people wonder why DF elves are the scum of the earth.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
All I have to say about that fight is that even the worst team can sometimes get lucky.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh Gavin, you dodged around a lot but overall didn't do much that was useful.

You have lived up to your name.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I had no opinion on this match before I started reading that update. Reading the lineup, I decided "I'll root for Habeas Corpses!" Even when I don't bet dorfbux, I lose bets.

Anyway, this match raises an interesting possibility, seeing as a fighter doesn't show up as dead in the combat log until their body lands. Say there are two fighters (left) in a match, Fighter A and Fighter B.

1. Fighter A punches Fighter B's head clean off, sending the body flying across the arena.
2. Fighter A bleeds out and dies.
3. Fighter B's body lands.

Fighter A survived longer, but fighter B wins if we follow the combat log.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The combat log has the last word, as far as I know. If DF says a guy ain't dead, the guy ain't dead.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I vote for best 2 out of 3 in that case. 3 new fights run with the teams, best 2 out of 3 wins it.

That may just because I want more fights to run/write/read though and 2 per day is not enough to feed my habit.

Who knew I'd get addicted to fake dwarf fighting.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

pun pundit posted:

1. Fighter A punches Fighter B's head clean off, sending the body flying across the arena.
2. Fighter A bleeds out and dies.
3. Fighter B's body lands.

Fighter A survived longer, but fighter B wins if we follow the combat log.

As much as I'd hate to be the guy forever known as the fighter who lost to the headless guy, I'd have to give it to Fighter B for showing real grit and aerodynamic ability.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'm quite surprised we managed to get away with a perfect victory like that, and that Noserubbed was able to muster up the courage to kill a yeti.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Hooray! I didn't die the longest! :v:

quote:

Suns Out Guns Out_KAS bashes Bring The Pain_HC in the upper body with his silver maul and the injured part explodes into gore!

Oh. :commissar:

In retrospect, whoever decided to name our team perhaps did not consider it basically means "you shall have corpses"

VladTheEater fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 18, 2014

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

VladTheEater posted:

Hooray! I didn't die the longest! :v:

Oh. :commissar:

In retrospect, whoever decided to name our team perhaps did not consider it basically means "you shall have corpses"

I knew full well what it meant, actually.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Test Tournament 2, Week 1, Match 6 :siren:

On the left: 3 Knight Dog, a name that sounds like a reference I don't get. They present HerpicleOmnicron5's Argosiasus Barkskin the elf, Brick Moses' SRIRACHA FARTSTORM the elf, King Cohort's Digmuch Hardhead the kobold and ignite memories' Harold Bird II the Human.

On the right: We're all Friends Here! Their lineup is Spoggerific's A Heart of Steel the dwarf, Frozen_Flame's Brother Boccob the dwarf, Maugrim's Rambold the kobold and Anta's Uselessly long cumbersome name the goblin.

As someone who usually types out names instead of relying on c/p, I hate you all, but especially Herp-whatever and Anta.

Today, we actually have an archer! Boccob pulls out his crossbow, targeting the elves, and... whiffs completely. The melee fighters join battle before he can fire a second time, and Argosiasus almost chops A Heart of Steel's head off with his first swing.

Dwarves are far more insensitive to pain than elves, though, as Heart demonstrates: his platinum war hammer catches the other elf's foot, and FARTSTORM collapses instantly when he tries to put weight on it, unable to even hold onto the light of consciousness.

A little south, Digmuch and Hal Bird abuse Uselessly, the kobold's pick taking out his foot and the halberd crushing his ribs and embedding itself in his chest cavity. Digmuch then turns and chops off Rambold's shield hand.

Hal Bird tugs on his eponymous weapon, but it doesn't come free... and Uselessly is still focused. He thrusts his own spear at the human, and bone snaps. Human falls atop goblin. Neither will stand again this fight. Hal Bird proves the more bloody-minded, though, and in two more sweeps of his dreadful weapon Uselessly is struck down. First kill.

Now it's up to just A Heart of Steel and Rambold to hold the line for their archer, Boccob, who has yet to fire a second bolt. The de-shielded Rambold moves to engage Hal Bird, while A Heart of Steel tries to stand off Digmuch and Argosiasus so he can finish off the unconscious elf. His heart may be steel, but Heart's leg is not. When the kobold's pick strikes him, he finally drops to the floor.

A Heart of Steel's head goes flying, even as his teammate's, Uselessly long cumbersome name, head finally hits the ground and starts rolling along. It will eventually fetch up against the north-western wall.

(This is A Heart of Steel's head, one z-level up)

But all hope is not lost! Brother Boccob finishes his fumble-fingered reloading and shoots another bolt. It flies harmlessly past both elves, not even close enough to merit a 'miss' mention. Good job.

We turn our attention back to Rambold, only to discover Harold Bird and Digmuch Hardhead launch a whirlwind dual attack that crushes leg, hand, liver, kidney... Argosiasus Barkskin joins in on the fun just in time to steal the kill before bloodloss overcomes what's left of the kobold.

Three Z-levels up, A Heart of Steel's head is still flying, with every indication of it still being airborne when the fight is decided.

Brother Boccob slips into an altered state of consciousness. Argosiasus Barkskin misses him twice at point-blank range, then tries a body-check that sees him bounce off himself! Will newly-empowered Boccob's ineffable knowledge let him turn this around? Two more misses from the elf, and two from Digmuch.

The third bolt flies... almost nowhere. He whiffed a point-blank shot against two enemies. They still can't hurt him, though, and Harold Bird II has not yet dragged himself over on his hands. When he does, he merely adds to the misses against the transcendant Boccob.

Another bolt flies. It strikes Argosiasus in the leg, and the elf drops, unable to put weight on his shattered tibia. Elegantly, Boccob weaves away. Digmuch barely ducks the next bolt.

And... Boccob's martial trance fades. No longer invincible, he is struck by Digmuch's pick. A second time. A third. Limp fingers drop his remaining arrows, and he slips into another altered state of being... this one is 'unconsciousness'. After Hal Bird hits him with his steel, it is upgraded into 'death'.

4-0 victory for 3 Knight Dog over We're All Friends Here

Kills
: Harold Bird II - 2, Digmuch Hard Head - 1, Argosiasus Barkskin - 1

Combat Log

Oh, Boccob did last long enough for A Heart of Steel's head to land. Small victories.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 19, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yessss! Am I reading this right? I keep going back to re-check, and the only conclusion I can reach is that harold managed to decapitate a goblin that he was lying on top of, with a halberd, and in such a manner than his decapitated head flew up into the air. That's amazing.

edit: yep, just checked the combat logs. Love it. Great fight, you guys!

I think harold has collected 3 heads at this point.

P.s, it is a pun on Three Dog Night.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 19, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Did everyone in this fight have a steel weapon? Glancing through logs all I see is steel pick, sword, halberd...

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
drat, SRIRACHA FARTSTORM didn't have time to let a single toot slip before he hit the ground. Oh well, that just means he'll get jolted back to consciousness when a really loud one has to come out.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

:siren:Test Tournament 2 match whatever:siren:

Today we will witness gladitorial combat between The Kitten Appreciation Society and Habeas Corpses!

Wow, that went so badly I thought you'd mistakenly equipped Yettie Page with a maul instead of a warhammer like she was skilled for, but she just plain got rocked.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 19, 2014

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Hah. Ahahah. Crap.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

drat, SRIRACHA FARTSTORM didn't have time to let a single toot slip before he hit the ground. Oh well, that just means he'll get jolted back to consciousness when a really loud one has to come out.

SRIRACHA actually woke up before the fight ended!

quote:

SRIRACHA FARTSTORM regains consciousness.
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM: Can it all end so quickly? Begone fear!
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM: Death is all around us. This is truly horrifying.
Argosiasus Barkskin misses Brother Boccob!
Harold Bird II misses Brother Boccob!
Digmuch Hardhead attacks Brother Boccob but He jumps away!
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM: Death... This is truly horrifying.
Digmuch Hardhead attacks Brother Boccob but He jumps away!
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM: Death is all around us. This is truly horrifying.

Big on philosophy, ol' FARTSTORM is.

Digmuch cleaves through limbs like he cleaved through his village's stone! The first step of many to going home a hero!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh goddamn it, even with a martial trance, the crossbowdwarf couldn't hit a single shot? That's sad.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Frozen_flame posted:

Hah. Ahahah. Crap.

Yeah, sorry. But check your PMs.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

A good poster posted:

Wow, that went so badly I thought you'd mistakenly equipped Yettie Page with a maul instead of a warhammer like she was skilled for, but she just plain got rocked.

I am the least knowledgable commissioner but I think these two weapons use the same skill. I am continuously being corrected in the chat room about things, but I think I got this one right!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

A good poster posted:

it seems yetis are crappy.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

it seems yetis are crappy.

They're horrible, die really easily and get the least amount of points.

GLAD I chose one.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, sorry. But check your PMs.

Sorry team :(

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Toady needs to implement skill synergy. Points in archery should TOTALLY improve your crossbow skill a little. All that practice aiming.

Also, not everyone in that fight had a steel weapon, but my kobold never got to use his :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Maugrim posted:

Toady needs to implement skill synergy. Points in archery should TOTALLY improve your crossbow skill a little. All that practice aiming.

Also, not everyone in that fight had a steel weapon, but my kobold never got to use his :v:

quote:

Harold Bird II strikes at Rambold but the shot is easily parried by the adamantine short sword!
Rambold loses hold of the adamantine short sword.

:colbert:

• Locked thread