Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

It's the face of Notch, developer of Minecraft, with burning crosses on either side of him. Hope this helps.

i said i didnt want to explain it an d i cant believe you undermined me like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Narciss posted:

Can someone explain :notch:?

There was a lot of nerds who got mad at Notch as he changed a few thing in Minecraft and they were calling him the Antichrist.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

actually I think someone was convinced he was racist, like the op of this thread, and so put the kkk imagery around his fat gay head.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

It was over a photoshopped tweet of Notch saying something racist. There was also a poster in the minecraft thread whose gimmick was posting more photoshopped things of Notch being racist, I don't remember if he's related to the smiley or not.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Minecraft introduced a slenderman like monster which was black - as in literally black.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
More specifically it was a tall black dude who stole your blocks and died in contact with water

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

More specifically it was a tall black dude who stole your blocks and died in contact with water

The Notch Smiley predates Endermen by quite a while, IIRC. He posted a tweet about Norwegians or someone having the right to vote and someone photoshopped it:

For a little while there was a rumor flying around the Minecraft forum circles that Twitter let Notch edit the tweet after he posted it. :jerkbag:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is the story of :smith: hosted anywhere? All the images in that goldmined thread (and the mirrors) are dead.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
I found this:

http://www.insanefruits.net/v_002/histories/smith/

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Who is that anarchist :anarchists:?

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

General Bort posted:

Who is that anarchist :anarchists:?

Kropotkin, I think?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I could've sworn it was Bakunin, but apparently it's Kropotkin.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not quite on topic, but I didn't see anywhere else better to ask: how do I make a link in the posted-by part of a quote?

LINK HERE posted:

:words:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

Not quite on topic, but I didn't see anywhere else better to ask: how do I make a link in the posted-by part of a quote?

code:
[quote="[url=http://goatse.cx]Subjunctive[/url]"]
[/quote]

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Subjunctive posted:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
funny computer!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"[quote posted:

does that work with every tag
"]I guess so[/quote]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
When did : ralp : change from tubgirl to two toilets?

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Weatherman posted:

When did : ralp : change from tubgirl to two toilets?

A couple days ago.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
How many different platinum icons are there? I'm assuming they're granted for posting in specific sub-forums.

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

How many different platinum icons are there? I'm assuming they're granted for posting in specific sub-forums.

Lowtax held some sort of contest thread when they introduced them. The ones I know of are: diamond, red pill, and little video game sprite(this one is actually a medal I think).

i am he has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Sep 17, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Where does :smugwizard: come from?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It's a wizard from Quest for Glory apparently. So maybe LP or Games. Beyond that, no idea.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

It's a smug wizard.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pierzak posted:

That's Erasmus, as shown in the VGA remake version of Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be A Hero (Erasmus appears in at least Quest for Glory I, II, and V).

He is a smug wizard.

http://questforglory.wikia.com/wiki/Erasmus

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks, I thought he was from the Slavic-themed QfG but wasn't sure.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

God, qfg4 was a good game. That whole series needs to be re-released.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
:fishmech:

Why did we combine :spergin: with :nsa: ? What is this trying to convey? Why is it called fishmech?
He looks so blissfully happy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

:fishmech:

Why did we combine :spergin: with :nsa: ? What is this trying to convey? Why is it called fishmech?
He looks so blissfully happy.

The forums user formerly known as fishmech (currently Nintendo Kid) is a known sufferer of Asperger's Syndrome and works for the NSA.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
fishmech is also the smartest kid in America.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

i am he posted:

Lowtax held some sort of contest thread when they introduced them. The ones I know of are: diamond, red pill, and little video game sprite(this one is actually a medal I think).

I've seen several more firsthand. I was just curious if there was like, a list somewhere of them or something.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Choco1980 posted:

I've seen several more firsthand. I was just curious if there was like, a list somewhere of them or something.

They all came from here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658868

Lowtax posted:

For absolutely no reason at all, I have decided to hold a contest for FANTASTIC PRIZES FOR PLATINUM MEMBERS! By playing, you can win a preavatar (the grenade image before your avatar) of:

- A BEAUTIFUL DIAMOND! A PRECIOUS JEWEL BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS!
- AN EXCITING RED PILL! WHAT MYSTERIES DOES IT HOLD?
- A BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL AWARD! MAYBE IT'S FROM THE PRESIDENT CONGRATULATING YOU ON YOUR POSTING!!!

These amazing, enchanting images will follow your posts wherever they make take you on your wondrous forum journey! But beware, you could also get BANNED.

I have four cups, one containing the jewel, one containing the pill, one containing the award, and one containing a ban. All you have to do is guess which cup, from 1-4, holds the prize of your deepest fantasies! It's a 75% chance of success! The prizes will be randomized for each person's guess, and you will receive your awe-inspiring award immediately! Will you risk it all for such groundbreaking gifts?

Good luck!!!

FOR PLATINUM MEMBERS ONLY! Non-platinum members don't have the space before their names to add the image! Also contest ends when I start getting sleepy!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

syscall girl posted:

The forums user formerly known as fishmech (currently Nintendo Kid) is a known sufferer of Asperger's Syndrome and works for the NSA.

Excellent. How else could we convey our message when we're feeling particularly fishmech.
Thank you for the explanation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

syscall girl posted:

In my dreams every syllable of that is true.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Suspicious Dish posted:

fishmech is also the smartest kid in America.

He saved Aeris too.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Darth TNT posted:

Excellent. How else could we convey our message when we're feeling particularly fishmech.
Thank you for the explanation.

The only thing I remember about fishmech is that he got slightly famous on the forums for posting constantly and having a ridiculously huge number of posts per day.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kimmalah posted:

The only thing I remember about fishmech is that he got slightly famous on the forums for posting constantly and having a ridiculously huge number of posts per day.

And he's the #40 most-ignored poster, on his original account.

He might also be able to post in the Gas Chamber.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

prefect posted:

He might also be able to post in the Gas Chamber.

I know there used to be a thread in there where every post he tried to make anywhere else in the forums got moved to.

Edit: Found it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

m2pt5 posted:

I know there used to be a thread in there where every post he tried to make anywhere else in the forums got moved to.

And there was another poster for whom every post was converted into an iframe containing that thread.