Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Another common strategy is totally not receiving checks on purpose up to the closing of an amendment period via overnight mail while someone else you work with receives other checks of same ammounts. Why would thid ever happen? Can you trade totalmax donors? Is that coordination beyond a reasonable doubt?

And that's why interests such as AIPAC have the power they do: when you have blank checks that you can be called upon for at a moment's notice, and have thousands of them, from all sectors and industries, you have true power.

E:

Ah. Yeah, I dealt with managing and money, only field last week/emergency redeploys after. Hatred, thy name is doubledial calltime, and you are a room at heart in DCCC and DSC.

Yeah the "forgetting" about checks poo poo is so insidious because its so easy and so effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah the "forgetting" about checks poo poo is so insidious because its so easy and so effective.

Is it prostitution if you have a staffer sleep with someone to secure a quadmax contrib?

And that's the inside view of campaigning and politics in America. I hope this stuff answered the dude's question about how he can get involved and achieve actual change.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
and is this all known and accepted by everyone or are you speaking from behind the curtain?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

and is this all known and accepted by everyone or are you speaking from behind the curtain?

Nobody knows nothing when they're smart enough to know where not to ask.

E: Realistically? Its how you play the game well. Not everyone knows how to, hence why experience is necessary to weed out the idiots who you won't have chide by yelling calmly, rationally, and outside for a walk in a wooded area with electronics left behind, something like: "WHAT THE gently caress HAVE YOU DONE HE'S UNDER SEALED INDIGHTMENT FOR SELLING A SENATE SEAT WHAT THE gently caress HAVE YOU DONE"

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is it prostitution if you have a staffer sleep with someone to secure a quadmax contrib?

And that's the inside view of campaigning and politics in America. I hope this stuff answered the dude's question about how he can get involved and achieve actual change.

Hey now, I'm sure the candidate never directly told in a recordable medium anyone to sleep with anyone. Good people don't need to be told.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Hey now, I'm sure the candidate never directly told in a recordable medium anyone to sleep with anyone. Good people don't need to be told.

That's exactly what I mean by needing experience so that idiots are weeded out from the real power-politics.

E: Idiots, being people who need to be told what to do rather than know what they'll have to do.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hold up, since he was /ten/? You sure you didn't mean /twenty/? I think anyone seriously playing major for-real political games (as opposed to running for class president or whatever) at ten years old is probably the Antichrist.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Miltank posted:

so how exactly are politics even an option if everything is so corrupt?

Dehumanize and face to bloodshed? :v:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

Hold up, since he was /ten/? You sure you didn't mean /twenty/? I think anyone seriously playing major for-real political games (as opposed to running for class president or whatever) at ten years old is probably the Antichrist.

I mean /ten/. He's clouted now. drat well clouted. He plays the game drat well. Only question remaining in my mind, how far up does he want to go.

E:

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Dehumanize and face to bloodshed? :v:

Sell the machettes and make a profit off the bloodletting.

E2:

From a thinktank perch, write a policy brief on how machettes deserve a tax subsidy due to their use in bloodletting creating wage-growth and lowering unemployment in middle America.

E3:

From a K-street shop, arrange meetings to express your view that machettes have too damaging a reputation attributed to them, here, have a machette and a coconut and see how delicious you can make the rum in the coke, you nut, and host a coconut/rum machette party at your firm.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 18, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Nessus posted:

The Leslie Knopes of the world have nothing wrong with them. :colbert:

My Imaginary GF posted:

In money and politics, there's 'illegal' and then there's "HOLY gently caress ILLEGAL AND SUPER EASY TO CATCH DO NOT DO THIS EVER YOU loving IDIOT WHAT THE CHRIST."

Think of the FEC as merely offering suggestions for 'best practices.' For instance, lets say you're a multi-B CEO and personal friends with someone running for Congress. You doublemax to them from you, your wife, and all your kids, wired directly from one family trust. Campaign reports contributions and attributions them accurately.

Has anything illegal occured? Can you prove it beyond a reasonable doubt? Can you prove it in a way that won't jeopardize your career by getting the multi-B to call El Pres on your rear end and invite him to a fundraiser or your tuscan villa to ostensibly discuss your re-election/successor to back, and oh btw theres this FEC thing, and bam. You, a lowly FEC civil servant, now have your name known to the President as someone not playing ball.

What happens to you?

El Pres snaps back that Accretionist is in possession of, "The Devices," and, "his interests must not be opposed."

Please tell you have some 'Teachable Moments' anecdotes about that kind of thing

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Miltank posted:

Well you definitely wouldn't be getting someone at 2AM in the morning just talking on SomethingAwful.com if it was confidential.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Well you definitely wouldn't be getting someone at 2AM in the morning just talking on SomethingAwful.com if it was confidential.

There was that airman in Ask/Tell who posted a thread about nuclear weapons that, according to posters in GiP, ruined his life

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Accretionist posted:

There was that airman in Ask/Tell who posted a thread about nuclear weapons that, according to posters in GiP, ruined his life

Never post anything about anyone living or anything specific is generally a good rule for SA.

Accretionist posted:

El Pres snaps back that Accretionist is in possession of, "The Devices," and, "his interests must not be opposed."

Please tell you have some 'Teachable Moments' anecdotes about that kind of thing

Not online, no. In person? Well, depends. Usually, I can't recall anything nothing notime nohow.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 18, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Accretionist posted:

Yeah that is pretty bad.

Edit: But that Illinois politics are incredibly corrupt isn't nuclear secrets. It's not as bad everywhere but you can think of it like a scale.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 18, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Accretionist posted:

Haha I'll assume he wasn't posting blueprints but who thinks posting confidential and potentially classified information on nuclear weapons is a good idea.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

From a thinktank perch, write a policy brief on how machettes deserve a tax subsidy due to their use in bloodletting creating wage-growth and lowering unemployment in middle America.

You can't be unemployed when you're dead! :unsmigghh:

But seriously speaking, as someone who's only interned in Congress and a lobbying firm in DC before by comparison, I'm not shocked at someone being groomed for politics that young. Any sufficiently politically connected family would know your best chances of succeeding in politics comes from a spotless personal record of success, starting from high school. Prepping for high school performance would start from before then, so 10 isn't hard to believe in that context.

Hell, a lot of the Congressional office interns were still in high school from this and that state (eg New York City high schooler interning for a Georgia Democrat), so I can imagine others being involved in some way even earlier than that.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 18, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh, one teachable moment while I was on an official trip to Israel (free travel on government dime? Yes, please):

Two finance staffers, campaign CoS, at district office. Candidate ain't best at CT, better in-person making asks. Two staffers organize event through the richest family in district. Nascars get raced, go drinking at mansion after. Staffers doing checkin ask host for contribution, refuse to let them into event until I get a call on an unofficial line. "WHAT THE EVERLIVING CHRIST YOU MOTHERFUCKERS I'M IN THE loving MIDDLE EAST AND I GET A CALL FROM X THAT YOURE PISSING THEM OFF? MOTHERFUCKERS I AM GETTING MY rear end BACK FROM ISRAEL AND YOU ARE GRASS. FIX THIS NOW. FIX IT FOREVER. I DONT GIVE A poo poo HOW, FIX IT, AND DONT MAKE ME CALL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS FROM HERE AGAIN."

2 weeks later, they were out of campaigns forever, the CoS was changed for a warmanager from Da Whipz office, and DCCC sent two emergency staffers: one completely incompetent who was sn intern there and they wanted her GTFO in a polite manner and one who knew enough his poo poo that he'd know what to do without being told. So yeah, don't call me on my unofficial emergency line for your poo poo while I'm on official business in the ME.

E: Lesson? If someone tries to get into an event, let them in. If they know of the event, they know enough that refusing entry can carry more a risk than accepting a potential tracker in. Trackers are easy to spot when you know how, and easy to isolste for a discussion with a 'sperg the entire time. They try to leave sperg zone? Then you get to gently caress with them.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 18, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Oh, one teachable moment while I was on an official trip to Israel (free travel on government dime? Yes, please):

Two finance staffers, campaign CoS, at district office. Candidate ain't best at CT, better in-person making asks. Two staffers organize event through the richest family in district. Nascars get raced, go drinking at mansion after. Staffers doing checkin ask host for contribution, refuse to let them into event until I get a call on an unofficial line. "WHAT THE EVERLIVING CHRIST YOU MOTHERFUCKERS I'M IN THE loving MIDDLE EAST AND I GET A CALL FROM X THAT YOURE PISSING THEM OFF? MOTHERFUCKERS I AM GETTING MY rear end BACK FROM ISRAEL AND YOU ARE GRASS. FIX THIS NOW. FIX IT FOREVER. I DONT GIVE A poo poo HOW, FIX IT, AND DONT MAKE ME CALL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS FROM HERE AGAIN."

2 weeks later, they were out of campaigns forever, the CoS was changed for a warmanager from Da Whipz office, and DCCC sent two emergency staffers: one completely incompetent who was sn intern there and they wanted her GTFO in a polite manner and one who knew enough his poo poo that he'd know what to do without being told. So yeah, don't call me on my unofficial emergency line for your poo poo while I'm on official business in the ME.

E: Lesson? If someone tries to get into an event, let them in. If they know of the event, they know enough that refusing entry can carry more a risk than accepting a potential tracker in. Trackers are easy to spot when you know how, and easy to isolste for a discussion with a 'sperg the entire time. They try to leave sperg zone? Then you get to gently caress with them.

you make my bones weary

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

My Imaginary GF posted:

All these stories don't really seem to lend credence to the argument that working within the Democratic party is the best way to go about getting left policy implemented.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
So, switching subjects a bit, Obama tweeted this yesterday:

@WhiteHouse
The UK is an extraordinary partner for America and a force for good in an unstable world. I hope it remains strong, robust and united. -bo

Is it just me or does this strike me as a little inappropriate? I mean if the actual Queen stays out of I feel like our President should as well.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

So, switching subjects a bit, Obama tweeted this yesterday:

@WhiteHouse
The UK is an extraordinary partner for America and a force for good in an unstable world. I hope it remains strong, robust and united. -bo

Is it just me or does this strike me as a little inappropriate? I mean if the actual Queen stays out of I feel like our President should as well.
The Queen hasn't stayed out of it, which is a pretty big deal because the Queen almost never comments on politics.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

JT Jag posted:

The Queen hasn't stayed out of it, which is a pretty big deal because the Queen almost never comments on politics.

She said to think very carefully before voting which hardly strikes me as a strong statement.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

She said to think very carefully before voting which hardly strikes me as a strong statement.

She means think very carefully before voting; a gentle threat.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

My Imaginary GF posted:

Are you laying the jargon on thick on purpose? This is almost impenetrable.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Accretionist posted:

Link? Backstory? Awful, but I need to know more!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

All of this corruption talk reminded me of something. Recently I was told by someone "in the know" that Bob McDonnell of Virginia didn't actually do anything that bad and the entire trial was a show. I was under the impression that he was gifted a hundred thousand dollars of stuff with *wink, wink* you'll pay me back in the style of John Roberts not-bribes. Did he really get railroaded? I find it kind of hard to believe in our system that a prominent politician would get sent to jail over nothing and no one along the line would step in to stop it. I know he was offered a plea deal and he didn't take it but even then that it got that far if he didn't do anything seems absurd.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Uranium Phoenix posted:

All these stories don't really seem to lend credence to the argument that working within the Democratic party is the best way to go about getting left policy implemented.

Yeah, it sounds like you're basically useless to the Democrats if you aren't upper-middle class at least, better if you're independently wealthy or merely wealthy and well-connected.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, it sounds like you're basically useless to the Democrats if you aren't upper-middle class at least, better if you're independently wealthy or merely wealthy and well-connected.

Or ruthless. Don't forget ruthless.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

If you're trying to single-handedly change your entire state party, sure. So don't be single-handed about it, and get a bunch of like-minded friends involved. Or start on it, make like-minded friends along the way, and drag them with you.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Ratoslov posted:

I don't think it's any secret that if you really want to change politics, step one is to get rich.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Why is it okay for Democrats to take leftists for granted? Because there aren't enough of them to matter. You live in a representative democracy, and if you're significantly left of the general population, you have to accept that you're also going to be left of the mainstream political parties. You're always going to be either voting for someone who has no chance or holding your nose and voting for (from your perspective) the least bad candidate. Your options are to try and move the general opinion leftward (which you don't do from the top-down, so doesn't involve getting leftists into power) or to advocate a non-democratic system.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Just get drunk on a vodka bottle labeled "Republican Tears" after the 2016 election. Be the best Democratic you can be.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Smaller parties having influence over policy making doesn't require a non-democratic system. In fact first-past-the-post is in many ways the least representative democracy possible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Petr posted:

Why is it okay for Democrats to take leftists for granted? Because there aren't enough of them to matter. You live in a representative democracy, and if you're significantly left of the general population, you have to accept that you're also going to be left of the mainstream political parties. You're always going to be either voting for someone who has no chance or holding your nose and voting for (from your perspective) the least bad candidate. Your options are to try and move the general opinion leftward (which you don't do from the top-down, so doesn't involve getting leftists into power) or to advocate a non-democratic system.

This isn't necessarily true, though. Like, what Socialist Alternative did in Seattle was the right move, because people are more sympathetic to socialism/socialist policies in their local community, and local/state politics have less inertia.

What leftists need more than anything else right now (barring silly poo poo like 80% popularity) is organization, and a political party with people in power provides that organization. The key sticking point is that you're not going to start with a Senator or even a Representative, you're going to start with a city councilman, then a few state legislators.

Note that focusing on the local government can go too far (see: The Green Party), but I think explicitly what you need is local legislators on your side more than anyone else.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Petr posted:

Public opinion is pretty malleable though. What the public will support is in large measure determined by what politicians say and do. You probably can't convince the general public to start redistributing the means of production in a top-down manner, but if the Democratic Party comes out in favor of nationwide All-Day Kindergarten and our candidates start stumping on it, that's going to move the polls on the issue.

Also, while America is a democracy, that's no guarantee that popular stuff is necessarily going to happen - 90% of Americans want less money in politics, but that's not going to happen in the near future unless we get better parties and a better Supreme Court. Pot legalization gets narrow majorities nationwide now, but you know our politicians at the national level will have to be dragged into it kicking and screaming unless it hits 70% support or something. NSA/FISA reform is another one - dramatic cutbacks in spying are broadly popular, but it's not going to happen if our politicians just refuse to talk about it.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 18, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

but if the Democratic Party comes out in favor of nationwide All-Day Kindergarten
Isn't this now the norm? I haven't seen half-day kindergartens since I was in one over thirty years ago. Half-day daycares, yeah, but anymore full day K seems to be the norm, at least in public school. Too many people work anymore and lots of kids come in right from daycare already knowing the drill, as it were.

If Democrats really wanted to make Americans sit up and take notice, they'd offer to pay one parent to stay home with their kids til age 5. No income requirement, just if you choose to stay home, you get x dollars a month. This would appeal to the people who whine about the deterioration of the nuclear/traditional family as well as those who can't make enough to earn money for child care, help single mothers immensely, and people who'd make more working can just keep doing what they're doing.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 18, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oracle posted:

Isn't this now the norm? I haven't seen half-day kindergartens since I was in one over thirty years ago. Half-day daycares, yeah, but anymore full day K seems to be the norm, at least in public school. Too many people work anymore and lots of kids come in right from daycare already knowing the drill, as it were.

When I was in kindergarten it was half day but that was about 15 years ago and it was in Idaho.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Oracle posted:

Not in my area - some counties have it, some don't. And I'm in a relatively wealthy county in a purple state, it's not like I'm in Backwater Parish, Louisissippi.

Oracle posted:

If Democrats really wanted to make Americans sit up and take notice, they'd offer to pay one parent to stay home with their kids til age 5. No income requirement, just if you choose to stay home, you get x dollars a month. This would appeal to the people who whine about the deterioration of the nuclear/traditional family as well as those who can't make enough to earn money for child care, help single mothers immensely, and people who'd make more working can just keep doing what they're doing.

The problem is that the folks who whine about the deterioration of the nuclear family are the same folks who whine about handouts to single blah-people mothers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

The problem is that the folks who whine about the deterioration of the nuclear family are the same folks who whine about handouts to single blah-people mothers.
Which is why you open to ALL (families, but you always say mothers). Your mom/wife works so hard, you think she doesn't deserve a little something more than flowers and a card once a year? How can you say you're for families and children and be against this? Don't you love your mom/wife?

Hell if advertisers can use it to sell diamonds Democrats can use to to sell something actually beneficial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Now I'm wondering if its possible to plan this on a generational scale. Say I'm too old to do politics, with too much online. Can I use a nest egg to get my kids into this power structure? Where would I send the kids for schooling so they are ready to go by ten?