Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Why does Facebook use so much battery anyway? Like what is it actually doing??

Feenix posted:

I really like that Disney review. The tone of it.

Also that sample video on big thunder mountain is so loving impressive.

Yeah it's really great. Feels like someone who actually wanted to give both phones a proper real-world test, rather than wanking about specs and fiddling around with the devices at home. "Hey check out these test photos I took out the window"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Kinda bummed that family sharing shares a single payment method. My partner and I like the idea of it, but we keep discretionary spending like music or apps separate from each other.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Kinda bummed that family sharing shares a single payment method. My partner and I like the idea of it, but we keep discretionary spending like music or apps separate from each other.

I mean if there is significant overlap in paid media used, then it makes a lot of sense to lose a bit of personal freedom for the sake of adding a mutual bank card as the master account. In my family's case, the overlap is probably 40%, which is still at minimum 50-100 a year in saved money. Well worth the inconvenience of having charges on my card.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Why not just have them buy (often discounted) iTunes vouchers and you both enjoy the shared purchases without them using any of your money?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Have iOS 8 running on my 4S and it's not slow at all - those "don't put it on 4S" articles must have just been preemptive clickbait

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MrBond posted:

I think we can all agree that 32 vs. 16 would be better for every user.

I don't think the impact on users is necessarily that bad though. There's plenty of people that don't use their phones to the fullest extent, and for them 16GB is plenty. Someone using an iPhone as a pure work phone probably isn't ever going to break 4GB for example.

The issue is that they didn't leave it at 16GB to cater for a specific user. If you asked anyone if they wanted 16GB or 32GB for $649 they'd say 32GB every time. It would cost Apple a pittance.

They want you to buy 64GB because they want your extra money Wow! I can quadruple my storage for "only" an extra $100! If 32GB was an option I sure as hell wouldn't be spending $749.

They're a business but its still a scummy tactic.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ijyt posted:

It would cost Apple a pittance.
A pittance x 30 million phones adds up quick.

It was a cold and calculated business decision. We'll just have to wait and see if it ends up hurting them. I have a feeling that the guys working there are probably smarter than all of us.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

A pittance x 30 million phones adds up quick.

It was a cold and calculated business decision. We'll just have to wait and see if it ends up hurting them. I have a feeling that the guys working there are probably smarter than all of us.

Uh, Apple has twice the cash reserves of the entire UK. You don't have to defend a multinational corporation. :rolleyes:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ijyt posted:

Uh, Apple has twice the cash reserves of the entire UK. You don't have to defend a multinational corporation. :rolleyes:
Not sure if we should be comparing to a country that's about to lose 1/3 of its land in a secession vote...

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The UK will lose none of its land either way. gently caress sake.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Upgraded to iCloud Drive, does it still back up when plugged in and with the screen locked? Unless I'm missing something my phone didn't back up last night as the last backup date hasn't changed and I can't find the Backup Now option.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any way to delete the recently deleted album from Photos?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Think the space requirements are really going to slow down iOS 8 adoption for normal people. Especially since there are relatively few obvious changes.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I see so many people bitching about the 8GB and 16GB devices. Don't buy them. Stop. If Apple didn't sell HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF THEM, they would stop making them. People keep buying the smallest, cheapest option, then bitch non-stop about it being the wrong phone for them. Apple looks at the numbers, see that most people buy the smallest option possible, so to them, that is obviously what the public wants.

Do you think that Apple cares that you feel that "16GB is not enough" when they see people across the planet line up for a mile at every store to get a 16GB model?

Getting an iPhone 5S with 16GB? Pay just ~9% more for 200% capacity. ($550/16GB -> $600/32GB)
Getting an iPhone 6 with 16GB? Pay just ~15% more to get 400% storage capacity. ($650/16GB -> $750/64GB)

For a device & service that will probably cost you thousands of dollars, how is "saving" $50 to $100 by permanently loving up the device with crippled storage a good idea?

EugeneJ posted:

Have iOS 8 running on my 4S and it's not slow at all - those "don't put it on 4S" articles must have just been preemptive clickbait

Yeah, iOS 8 works amazingly well on my wife's iPhone 4S.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I feel like in general that maybe people should stop projecting their opinions about mobile devices on the entire population. The only purpose seems to be feeding the perpetual outrage machine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
In 2014 the smallest, cheapest option should be 32GB and should cost what 16GB costs, or maybe like $5 more. In 2014 you shouldn't have to pay $100 ($110 in Canada) for an extra 48GB of flash memory in a consumer device that already has large profit margins. 16/64/120 is pretty scummy.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Still trying to get used to SwiftKey but it's severely slowed me down while I check it got my words right. Though I think what bugs me the most is that I can't hold down the keyboard button to get a list of all my keyboards. I can only tap it to go back to normal and then hold it for a list.

Gandhi Theft Auto
May 15, 2007

I'm highly anticipating the inevitable "thumb length to optimal iPhone 6 screen size" comparison article. Until then it's going to be difficult to know which to get for some (in this country we only have fake apple stores that won't have hands-on demo units out for ages). Is this the best we have?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gandhi Theft Auto posted:

I'm highly anticipating the inevitable "thumb length to optimal iPhone 6 screen size" comparison article. Until then it's going to be difficult to know which to get for some (in this country we only have fake apple stores that won't have hands-on demo units out for ages). Is this the best we have?

WSJ updated this with the new iPhones:

http://graphicsweb.wsj.com/documents/smartphone-ergonomics/?standalone=1

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is there a way to turn off the Predictive Text in any 3rd-party keyboard?

I don't want it taking up part of my screen with guesses of what I am typing. I like the idea of having different keyboards, or keyboard themes, but I don't like the cookie-cutter approach where they work way differently than the default keyboard and there aren't any options to change.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My Facebook used up 2% of my battery in the last 24 hours. How exactly is the app a battery hog?

I just checked and Facebook has used 26% of my battery in the last 3.5 hours. I even had background app refresh off. The second was Dropbox at 11%. I checked and both of them had location services 'always' on. I would imagine since I have a very bad signal at work, this is killing my battery life away. I changed Dropbox to 'never', and Facebook to 'while using the app'. Hopefully I will see a change tomorrow.

Edit:

Question about 3rd party keyboards. Is there a way to make a 3rd keyboard the default keyboard. It seems when using Message, that after awhile it keeps going back to the regular iPhone keyboard. Also why doesn't Swype go to the bottom of the messages (already sent and received) automatically when typing. I have to swipe the screen up every time to see the last message sent.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 18, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It is ridiculous that Apple still has it's low tier at 16gb but it is nice that they give you twice as much storage for the same price compared to the last few years. But they're keeping the trend of valuing storage space much higher than their Android and Windows Phone counterparts, even more so if you've got a phone with MicroSD support as you can get a 128gb card for $100 but then again your phone may only come with 4gb of OS space.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Xenomorph posted:

I see so many people bitching about the 8GB and 16GB devices. Don't buy them. Stop. If Apple didn't sell HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF THEM, they would stop making them. People keep buying the smallest, cheapest option, then bitch non-stop about it being the wrong phone for them. Apple looks at the numbers, see that most people buy the smallest option possible, so to them, that is obviously what the public wants.

People will always buy the cheapest one because it's the cheapest, but it's not the existence of smaller storage that rubs people the wrong way, it's the ridiculous markup. Obviously it's a great business decision by Apple, because it will make them a ton of money, but that doesn't mean people have to like it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My iPad Air updated last night. I noticed the new Hey Siri requires it to be plugged in though.

Is that limitation just in the iPads or is it in the phones too?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Aphrodite posted:

My iPad Air updated last night. I noticed the new Hey Siri requires it to be plugged in though.

It's present in both.

geera
May 20, 2003
It exists on the phones, too.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
It, also, is like this on the phones.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I think it's supposed to be more of a while-you're-driving feature, hence why it only works while plugged in.

cb rocks
Jun 10, 2004
sup m8s
Do notes no longer sync through iCloud? Ever since I updated to iOS 8 none of my notes are syncing between my phone and iPad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I think it's supposed to be more of a while-you're-driving feature, hence why it only works while plugged in.

Yeah, I figured it's for driving or like setting up a quick alarm/reminder while it's sitting on the charger or something.

Strange that they didn't make it always on in at least the iPhone 6es. Motorola somehow managed to make theirs work in the new Moto X while getting rid of the secondary low power processor.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Am I doing something wrong or does Hey Siri only work while plugged in and the screen is on? I was hoping it would work whenever it was plugged in.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Whenever it's plugged in. I've done it from screen off many times.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Works fine for me when the screen is locked. It's even triggered a few times listening to podcasts when the host exclaims "is he serious?!"

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Motorola somehow managed to make theirs work in the new Moto X while getting rid of the secondary low power processor.

IIRC it's that the main applications processor in the 2013 Moto X (the S4 Pro) didn't support hotword detection, so Motorola added the sidecar CPU. The new Moto X uses a Snapdragon 801, and in that series Qualcomm built-in low power hotword detection, so no need for the secondary unit just for that purpose.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a feature Apple's holding out on for the A9/6s next year.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

So, noticed that the top-right corner of the screen on my 5s is starting to bulge out. That's probably a battery issue, right?

nerox
May 20, 2001
My iphone 5s has a crack in the screen. Anyone here ever done the screen replacement themselves? How hard is it really? and what kit would you recommend?

I got an upgrade I can use, for the 6, but the resale value of the 5s is so much lower when there is a screen crack.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I'm glad the cheap option is only 16 GB because it really seems to wind up the most annoying bitch rear end posters.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sudo rm -rf posted:

So, noticed that the top-right corner of the screen on my 5s is starting to bulge out. That's probably a battery issue, right?

Could be. Had the same problem, and when I took mine in on Monday I was told the battery was fine and what was really going on was there was a piece of plastic on the inside that had fallen out of place.

They just popped open the phone, fixed that, and reseated the screen.

On the outside chance it's an inflated battery I'd say get it to a Genius Bar stat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For the 5/5s, the battery is along the left edge. So if the right side is popping out there is a chance it's not the battery.. I guess it just depends on random luck because the battery takes up almost half the width of the phone.

Obviously take it in but don't be surprised if it's not the battery. But if it is, woo-hoo, free replacement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

kitten smoothie posted:

Could be. Had the same problem, and when I took mine in on Monday I was told the battery was fine and what was really going on was there was a piece of plastic on the inside that had fallen out of place.

They just popped open the phone, fixed that, and reseated the screen.

On the outside chance it's an inflated battery I'd say get it to a Genius Bar stat.

Was it just an in-warranty fix for you? I don't have Applecare+, unfortunately.