Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

quote:

RUSH: Now, may I remind you, was it last year or the year before when I, who am totally tuned in to this, very conscious and very aware, I was able, my instincts alone, to sense -- it started with this concussion business -- that there were forces out there that were out for this game, that had targeted this game in a political sense. This is what's the toughest thing to make people believe. Because football, sports, is for everybody, an escape from politics. But this is a pure political agenda now that's gotten itself intertwined with the NFL. Make no mistake about it.
Didn't know "Stop beating the poo poo out of women and children" was a charged political issue. Thanks Rush, you continue to be an amazing sack of poo poo.

Also I don't know which "Colorado shooting" he's talking about. Aurora or that thing from July 4th this year where a white dude camped out and gunned down a bunch of Mexicans? No conservative ideology at work there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ohhh no, I'm in a post-apocalyptic society. I dug my way into Yucca Mountain with a stone hoe (looking for yams) and an evil came out, an evil the medicine man can't explain :(

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SedanChair posted:

Ohhh no, I'm in a post-apocalyptic society. I dug my way into Yucca Mountain with a stone hoe (looking for yams) and an evil came out, an evil the medicine man can't explain :(

Take some RadAway or go see a REAL doctor like Doc Mitchell.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

SedanChair posted:

I think you're being ironic, but this always comes off as patronizing to actual indigenous societies. A hypothetical post-apocalyptic tribal society might not understand what kills people in that area, but they also would know that poison is bad without necessarily knowing what a chemical reaction is. They'd figure out the important part, especially with actual honest attempts to mark a place as "no really bad stay away from this poo poo" in a way that a future culture might understand as a warning. "This place is sacred/special/dirty in X way" isn't something any culture has ever had trouble grasping.

It would be good to leave less things that might kill someone around, true, but we're doing a great job of doing that in other less concentrated forms that can't avoided, and that's sort of the core issue.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 18, 2014

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Also note re: neo-hippy last page, the sun is nuclear.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
With the kinds of markings that have been proposed for waste dumps, the only people who would be digging into them would be grave robbers and idiots. Although I guess it is a bit of an assumption that grave robbery would be taboo in a post-apocalyptic world.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

With the kinds of markings that have been proposed for waste dumps, the only people who would be digging into them would be grave robbers and idiots. Although I guess it is a bit of an assumption that grave robbery would be taboo in a post-apocalyptic world.

Hell, grave robbing in post apocalypse games is a way of life. Wouldn't surprise me if that aspect became a reality.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dump the radioactive waste in that place that's made of natural razor blades. Ain't nobody getting in there.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Quick question: I hear quite often from libertarians that the only (or I guess, main reason) we have recessions and depressions is cause of the federal reserve. Supposedly without the fed constantly manipulating interest rates and increasing/decreasing the money supply, and going back to the gold standard, we'd never have to worry about such negative things occurring because "the free market(tm)" would naturally calibrate prices and so you wouldn't have bubbles developing and such.

But..weren't we on the gold standard in the late 1800s? And didn't we have a huge economic depression during that time?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
We were on the Gold Standard in the 1930s too.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Mr Interweb posted:

Quick question: I hear quite often from libertarians that the only (or I guess, main reason) we have recessions and depressions is cause of the federal reserve. Supposedly without the fed constantly manipulating interest rates and increasing/decreasing the money supply, and going back to the gold standard, we'd never have to worry about such negative things occurring because "the free market(tm)" would naturally calibrate prices and so you wouldn't have bubbles developing and such.

But..weren't we on the gold standard in the late 1800s? And didn't we have a huge economic depression during that time?

And the answer is yes, they are libertarians. They haven't been on speaking terms with reality for decades.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Even if renewables can't provide all the power we need all the time, it'd be stupid not to build them and reduce the need for fossil fuels.

No one is saying that we shouldn't build any of them, someone argued that renewables could replace nuclear which they can't yet

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I listened to the Fox News telecast on Sirius XM this morning (I do this occasionally because I am dumb). Every morning is Fox and Friends.

They had the closest thing to a "2 minute hate" I have ever heard. They give the viewers three stories and ask them which one infuriates/irritates/bothers them the most. They have them send in a text message/email/twitter/facebook choosing one and explaining why it is the worst.

I have heard it the last couple of days so it must be a daily thing. Today, everyone was upset that a students was forced to stand outside their classroom....because they did not want to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. I was actually surprised that that one was the one which was chosen. Unfortunately, I kept listening and they read some messages. The majority of the messages were upset that the kid did not want to say the pledge, not that they were forced out of the room. The actors then went on a spiel about how the parent's wanted to raise their kid to be a "free thinker" and now that the kid is in the hallway, the student has time for some "free thinking".

Here is piece of poo poo Tood Starnes writing about it.

quote:

Parent: Standing for the Pledge is Bullying
By Todd Starnes, Fox News Radio

A North Dakota school has drawn the ire of a national atheist group after a teacher made a 6-year-old child stand up during the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Jesse Adams, of New Town, ND, tells the Minot Daily News that school administrators violated his son’s First Amendment rights by making him stand for the pledge.

“We’re trying to raise free thinkers,” he told the newspaper.

Yes, Mr. Adams is one of those parents.

When his child continued to defy the directions of his teacher, the youngster was told to stand in the hallway for the duration of the pledge. Mr. Adams said that amounts to bullying.

Maybe the six-year-old could’ve used hallway time for some personal meditation – or free thinking?

Superintendent Mark Bluestone is a military veteran and a patriot. He told the Associated Press the child was placed in the hallway to avoid disrupting other students who wondered why they could not sit during the pledge.

The superintendent said he feels strong about the importance of teaching children to be patriotic – a rarity in American public education.

The American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center fired off a letter to the superintendent. They accused the school of coercing the underage free thinker.

“Allowing students to exercise their right to sit out the Pledge of Allegiance is a matter of free speech and freedom of conscience,” legal director David Niose wrote.

If somebody had pulled that kind of hippy dippy baloney back when I was in school, they would've been pledging allegiance with a boot up their backside.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

I think you're being ironic, but this always comes off as patronizing to actual indigenous societies. A hypothetical post-apocalyptic tribal society might not understand what kills people in that area, but they also would know that poison is bad without necessarily knowing what a chemical reaction is. They'd figure out the important part, especially with actual honest attempts to mark a place as "no really bad stay away from this poo poo" in a way that a future culture might understand as a warning. "This place is sacred/special/dirty in X way" isn't something any culture has ever had trouble grasping.

It would be good to leave less things that might kill someone around, true, but we're doing a great job of doing that in other less concentrated forms that can't avoided, and that's sort of the core issue.

:lol: yes, I posited that a man could dig into Yucca Mountain with a stone hoe

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SedanChair posted:

This is pretty much the lore behind Adventure Time (with Jake the dog, and Finn the human).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SedanChair posted:

I wish I could find a screen cap of that scene from Godzilla 2014 because it would fit perfectly.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

People who say thinks like that are libertarians who don't understand capitalism, which is a pretty embarassing thing to be, given that it's their holy cow. "There would be no unemployment because market" is even better.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I listened to the Fox News telecast on Sirius XM this morning (I do this occasionally because I am dumb). Every morning is Fox and Friends.

They had the closest thing to a "2 minute hate" I have ever heard. They give the viewers three stories and ask them which one infuriates/irritates/bothers them the most. They have them send in a text message/email/twitter/facebook choosing one and explaining why it is the worst.

I have heard it the last couple of days so it must be a daily thing. Today, everyone was upset that a students was forced to stand outside their classroom....because they did not want to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. I was actually surprised that that one was the one which was chosen. Unfortunately, I kept listening and they read some messages. The majority of the messages were upset that the kid did not want to say the pledge, not that they were forced out of the room. The actors then went on a spiel about how the parent's wanted to raise their kid to be a "free thinker" and now that the kid is in the hallway, the student has time for some "free thinking".

Here is piece of poo poo Tood Starnes writing about it.

quote:

Superintendent Mark Bluestone is a military veteran and a patriot. He told the Associated Press the child was placed in the hallway to avoid disrupting other students who wondered why they could not sit during the pledge.
They should be wondering that because they can sit during the pledge!

quote:

The superintendent said he feels strong about the importance of teaching children to be patriotic – a rarity in American public education.
Because patriotism being coerced out of elementary school students is just as good as patriotism that adults show voluntarily, right?! :911:

I know they want to get their indoctrination in, but if my own experiences are any indication, the Pledge of Allegiance mostly makes patriotism seem like something dumb and boring. Elementary school students barely even understand the component words of the pledge (for years I thought it was "and to the republic for witchid stands"), much less its full meaning.

quote:

If somebody had pulled that kind of hippy dippy baloney back when I was in school, they would've been pledging allegiance with a boot up their backside.
Thankfully we've improved a little bit as a society since Todd Starnes was in school!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

hippy dippy baloney

I'm going to assume he pulled this from The Lego Movie, in which case good job quoting the guy who nearly sacrificed his relationship with his son in pursuit of a childish obsession.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Mr Interweb posted:

If libertarians had any grasp or economics or history they wouldn't be libertarians.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guilty Spork posted:

They should be wondering that because they can sit during the pledge!

Because patriotism being coerced out of elementary school students is just as good as patriotism that adults show voluntarily, right?! :911:

When I was in high school my homeroom rarely stood for/did the pledge. Our home room teacher basically said 'If you want to go for it, if you have something else you need to do like finish homework or whatever, do that.' Some kids stood every day and some didn't and it wasn't a big deal.

Then we had an veteran (either marines or army) sub for a day. He blew up when half the class didn't stand for the pledge right when it started. He threatened to send everyone that didn't stand to the principal's office so everyone stood and half-assed it except one kid who refused. He pulled the kid up and out of his desk by his shirt really forcefully and held onto him for the duration of the pledge then sent him to the office. Needless to say he never subbed again and wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper about 'kids these days' the next week.

Some people take it way too seriously.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I didn't fight for your freedom so you could assert a right to disobey an authority figure under the threat of violence!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cebrail posted:

People who say thinks like that are libertarians who don't understand capitalism, which is a pretty embarassing thing to be, given that it's their holy cow. "There would be no unemployment because market" is even better.

Turn it into a sports analogy. The want the free market football game/baseball game/boxing match but without referees, umpires and weight classes.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

So I think I know the answer to this, but is this seriously a thing? Tl;dr is that Fox News guy claims 4 terrorists were arrested at the border, and presumably we're all about to die.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This is more of a historical question, but I'm reading The Invisible Man right now and I know that is one of Hussein Soetoro's favorite books. There is a lot in there for the right-wing media to go bonkers about and I imagine they did but my ear wasn't attunded to it at the time. Does anybody have any choice tidbits trying to analyze why Obama hates America using this book?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Beamed posted:

So I think I know the answer to this, but is this seriously a thing? Tl;dr is that Fox News guy claims 4 terrorists were arrested at the border, and presumably we're all about to die.

I've been hearing for awhile ISIS is/will cross our border and do bad stuff so wall it up now! Keeping out brown children is just a bonus ...

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

This is more of a historical question, but I'm reading The Invisible Man right now and I know that is one of Hussein Soetoro's favorite books. There is a lot in there for the right-wing media to go bonkers about and I imagine they did but my ear wasn't attunded to it at the time. Does anybody have any choice tidbits trying to analyze why Obama hates America using this book?
The Ralph Waldo Ellison book? If that's the case, because he was a communist.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Even if renewables can't provide all the power we need all the time, it'd be stupid not to build them and reduce the need for fossil fuels.
Sorry, man. The FishKid says it's not possible to develop a storage system capable of handling our energy needs because I willfully don't even understand the difference between a Li-Ion battery in my laptop and a potential large-scale chemical energy storage plant. So I guess that settles that.

It's not like mankind has ever attacked a seemingly impossible problem and solved it, or attacked some other problem and just accidentally solved some other problems along the way purely by serendipity; or anything of that nature. Suck it, humanailures.

Guess it's best to drop it and just realize I'm too stupid to understand the problem.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shbobdb posted:

The Invisible Man or Invisible Man?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The only thing I ever saw was a meme talking about Obunger reading "The Post-American World"

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry, man. The FishKid says it's not possible to develop a storage system capable of handling our energy needs because I willfully don't even understand the difference between a Li-Ion battery in my laptop and a potential large-scale chemical energy storage plant. So I guess that settles that.

It's not like mankind has ever attacked a seemingly impossible problem and solved it, or attacked some other problem and just accidentally solved some other problems along the way purely by serendipity; or anything of that nature. Suck it, humanailures.

Guess it's best to drop it and just realize I'm too stupid to understand the problem.

You know, if there's one thing you're right about is that we need more renewable energy. There's really no reason not to invest in it.

I agree, hippy, we need more Breeder Reactors. Good thing we've had them since the loving fifties.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hazo posted:

The problem I tend to run into when arguing for the benefits of nuclear is the people who wring their hands about how to effectively store the waste that IS created.

One rather large problem is that most of the "waste" is actually fuel that could be separated and re-used, which would decrease the waste volume by about 85%. However, those hand-wringers have banned reprocessing, so we have to dispose of a much larger volume of waste instead.

The worst part is that all this hand-wringing ultimately leads the waste to get stored on-site in big storage dumps that are potentially susceptible to Fukushima-style meltdowns. Yucca Mountain isn't perfect, but it's pretty damned safe, and it's way safer than a surface pool in Hicksville, North Carolina.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 18, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dr. Faustus posted:

As much as fishmech is annoying, he's completely right that you have no idea of the scale of keeping all of the energy requirements of a nation on tap in a big gently caress off battery. It's wholly irresponsible to rebuke arguments against nuclear because of how dangerous the operation is, how the waste is radioactive forever, and that mining uranium is really bad for the environment with "guys, we can make the world's largest battery ever. We don't need nuclear! Just gotta wait around a bit."

If you thought that poo poo like the mining necessary for Prius batteries was bad, the straight up razing of the land necessary for a terawatt battery is not comprehendible.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

One rather large problem is that most of the "waste" is actually fuel that could be separated and re-used, which would decrease the waste volume by about 85%. However, those hand-wringers have banned reprocessing, so we have to dispose of a much larger volume of waste instead.

That wasn't hand-wringing about atoms though, it was an inclusion in a non-proliferation treaty.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Nintendo Kid posted:

Sorry, but batteries that can hold several magnitudes the amount current chemistries can and are capable of constant deep discharge and charge cycles for decades at a time (the kind of things you'd need to store the entire nation's electrical output and needs) represent advances so far in battery tech that if we had them we could do things like eliminate most oil usage. We'd be talking energy densities that make gasoline look like a wet fart.

Yeah, dead on here. And the other side note to batteries, beyond the design needs of the system, is that they're all environmental disasters. You'd be dealing with massive quantities of lead or rare earths which are both Not Fun to produce or dispose of (it just happens in China where we don't have to see the effects).

Stuff like molten-salt solar plants do help smooth the short term fluctuations a bit, but they don't have the energy capacity to smooth longer fluctuations. Really the only effective way to store this much energy is stuff like pumped-water storage, which is an environmental disaster of a different kind.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

There's other means of mechanical storage, but there are still technological limitations that need to be sorted out before it would be efficient.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Faustus posted:

We are already on the search for reversible chemical reactions that let us store lots of energy, though - because we use those to make batteries. That's literally what goes on inside a battery, and we put tons of effort in finding new reactions ("battery chemistries") to let us store more energy in a battery.

What exactly is the distinction you're trying to draw between "large scale chemical energy storage plant" and "a load-balancing plant with a bunch of batteries"? Twelve of one, a dozen of the other.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
[quote="Dr. Faustus" post="435035049"]

I do see the issue with launching spent fuel at the sun. People are afraid a launch vehicle (and you'd be talking about a BIG one for this job) could explode on liftoff and scatter spent fuel across the globe. I'd like to think we're smart enough to do that without incident; but rockets do tend to blow up sometimes. I think scientists can come up with ways of storing away spent fuel without launching it through our atmosphere.

Solution:

Giant fuckoff rail gun powered by an underground nuclear rector to launch payload into sun. Any potential explosion would happen underground or at ground level.

Edit: nvm, beaten. I guess I just got way too exited about the prospect of giant fuckoff rail guns.

Kristov fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 18, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure there are magical solutions just around the corner to all those problems you said that I don't understand.

ReidRansom posted:

There's other means of mechanical storage, but there are still technological limitations that need to be sorted out before it would be efficient.

Build more amusement parks so the Ferris Wheels can double as our Strategic Flywheel Reserve.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, I thought I had made it clear that I support nuclear-powered electricity production. The only thing I said "against it" was that it was "a bit much," as in, overkill, for creating steam. I then qualified that statement by agreeing with another poster recently that it was in fact better for the environment than coal or natural gas. So... wtf?

I've been talking about possible advancement in the field of large-scale chemical batteries. I absolutely do know the difference between arrays of cells or other storage types that are in use today in commercial applications (e.g. electric cars or laptops or smartphones) and the kind of installations some scientists are working towards specifically to store away excess potential energy during periods of production for release during periods where the supply is unavailable, and possibly, as the Fish put it, remove the need for fossil fuels completely for the supply of electricity. That was the entire point of my words.

I have not and do not rebuke nuclear power stations nor am I un-informed on the advances in large-scale storage that are required for the purpose stated above.

I thought I was pretty clear about all of that. If I wasn't, I do apologize.

E: I love the idea of huge gently caress-off rail-guns, and I wish we were building them. I never said anything about them needing to be powerful enough to do more than escape-velocity to LEO, which is obviously hard enough.
I'm also a big fan of putting LaGrange points to good use.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 18, 2014