Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That is a gravity-based system. Not a bad system, I don't mean that at all, but it only works where you can build a reservoir to store water until you need to let gravity drive the generation of electricity. You still need to spend the energy to pump it back up when it runs out. Luckily, water does this quite readily which is why we have water towers all over the place, including the top of basically every high building in NYC; because it's relatively cheap to pump against gravity.
I'm not even sure it counts as much as a storage battery as it does a jumped-up waterwheel.

This is more what I am talking about, or at least a place to start.

If I find a better link I'll post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You just need to build absolutely massive projects and source vast amounts of water to use them....

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Bearing in mind that despite capitalist fuckups, still less than 2 deaths over the entire history of commercial nuclear power operated by private companies.

Personally I'd chock this up to the amount of government involvement. Energy companies that run nuclear power plants have to work very closely with the DOE.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
We could either use literally twice as much land and resources as we actually need to stave off baseload power concerns, as well as develop large and expensive storage systems to keep this excess power...or we could build some normal power plants.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanks for the help with the comments codewords. Here's the article if you want to read the comments and regret humanity. (Or at least Western PA.)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

We could either use literally twice as much land and resources as we actually need to stave off baseload power concerns, as well as develop large and expensive storage systems to keep this excess power...or we could build some normal power plants.
Not sure where your figures come from. Care to elaborate?

What's wrong with developing storage systems (who says they have to always be large and expensive?) when we already can measure the pollution from "normal power plants?"

Look, I don't want the USA to become Beijing.

I also would love to believe that we could build "normal power plants" and learn to sequester the carbon (and mercury and...) emissions. Until we learn to do that, which is itself not a cheap proposition either, is it, I choose to believe that our species is smart enough to solve such problems. What I don't believe is that we have the will to do it until it's way too late.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Normal is codeword for nuclear.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
You just blew my mind.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not sure where your figures come from.

"Renewable" power sources rarely operate at full power, some of them entirely cease for regular intervals, and storage systems inherently lose a great deal of power during storage and while being used to re-generate power. Because of this, if we needed say 1 unit of electric power for the country, we would need 2-3 units of peak capacity output rated systems to handle it, with renewables, since a lot of time is spent operating at less than 100% output and you need to store up energy in the storage systems when even the overbuilt renewables aren't enough.

Dr. Faustus posted:

What's wrong with developing storage systems (who says they have to always be large and expensive?) when we already can measure the pollution from "normal power plants?"

Science says they have to be large and expensive, since storing power inherently takes a lot of resources. You need to store enough energy to run the country for extended periods of time with minimal input in an all-renewables system.

Also the pollution from nuclear power plants is effectively nil.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The problem I tend to run into when arguing for the benefits of nuclear is the people who wring their hands about how to effectively store the waste that IS created.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Renewable" power sources rarely operate at full power, some of them entirely cease for regular intervals, and storage systems inherently lose a great deal of power during storage and while being used to re-generate power. Because of this, if we needed say 1 unit of electric power for the country, we would need 2-3 units of peak capacity output rated systems to handle it, with renewables, since a lot of time is spent operating at less than 100% output and you need to store up energy in the storage systems when even the overbuilt renewables aren't enough.
Of course. I know this much already. What I was asking was this: Is it so unrealistic to believe that we can overcome this storage problem with technological advances in, say, chemical battery storage? Yes, those batteries are going to start out large; but isn't it too early to judge where they could go if given more research and development? I ask because, if some breakthrough is achieved, they could essentially eliminate the problems of storage completely. I do think we're capable of this. I haven't seen any research saying it's impossible.

quote:

Science says they have to be large and expensive, since storing power inherently takes a lot of resources. You need to store enough energy to run the country for extended periods of time with minimal input in an all-renewables system.

It says that now. What about later on, if significant development returns on investment a significantly better storage system?

quote:

Also the pollution from nuclear power plants is effectively nil.

No argument from me. I think using fission to boil water might be a bit much but I'm not against it; I'm for it. Especially if we improve it as well.

What I was not expecting was the term "normal power plant" to mean "nuclear-fission-powered steam turbines," because in the US I think "normal" power plants are the coal or gas varieties. I misunderstood.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Hazo posted:

The problem I tend to run into when arguing for the benefits of nuclear is the people who wring their hands about how to effectively store the waste that IS created.

The solution is obviously to genetically engineer cats that change color when exposed to radiation and then invent and disseminate (through the arts) folklore about how people should be terrified when their cats start changing color.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Faustus posted:

It says that now. What about later on, if significant development returns on investment a significantly better storage system?

This is impossible. You need to have at least 12 terawatthours of energy stored on hand ready for near-instantaneous conversion back to electrical energy, that's the amount of electrical production and consumption on an average day in the United States. No matter how you slice things, storing this will require a ton of money and a ton of space and a ton of resources.

The kind of things that would be required to safely and reliably store this in a compact and cheap matter would themselves obviate the need to have normal renewable power sources in the first place, it'd require stuff that essentially could be used as a clean power source in and of itself.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Faustus posted:

What I was not expecting was the term "normal power plant" to mean "nuclear-fission-powered steam turbines," because in the US I think "normal" power plants are the coal or gas varieties. I misunderstood.

Yeah, I just meant normal in the sense that from a design standpoint a nuclear plant is functionally similar to a coal or natural gas plant in a way that solar or wind isn't.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hazo posted:

I don't see any issue with loading it into a rocket and firing it at the sun. Problem solved.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I think using fission to boil water might be a bit much but I'm not against it; I'm for it.

Personally I feel that burning coal and gas to boil water is a bit much, but that's just me.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A big revolution in batteries could happen in the nexy couple decades with micro/nano technology. Instead of the large cells currently used you could increase charge density by having lots of very small cells in parallel. But there are still plenty of questions aboit how economical something like that would be, and it would be better suited for electric cars than grid generation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

McDowell posted:

A big revolution in batteries could happen in the nexy couple decades with micro/nano technology. Instead of the large cells currently used you could increase charge density by having lots of very small cells in parallel. But there are still plenty of questions aboit how economical something like that would be, and it would be better suited for electric cars than grid generation.

If you did this you would still need massive amounts of them to fit the nation's daily electricity usage and then some in storage.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you did this you would still need massive amounts of them to fit the nation's daily electricity usage and then some in storage.

Yeah, like I said, they would be much better for electric cars if they could have energy density comparable to gasoline. Having Solar panels and windmills with giant batteries is dumb when you can just design new fission plants.
But this is the Right Wing Media thread so here is some content shamelessly stolen from the Rob Ford GBS thread:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/192185-controversial-toronto-mayor-slams-obamacare

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is impossible.
Not going to comment on what's "impossible" with battery power. The science is, I think, too young.

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I just meant normal in the sense that from a design standpoint a nuclear plant is functionally similar to a coal or natural gas plant in a way that solar or wind isn't.
I get that, now. Sorry I misunderstood.

Phone posted:

I don't see any issue with loading it into a rocket and firing it at the sun. Problem solved.
I do see the issue with launching spent fuel at the sun. People are afraid a launch vehicle (and you'd be talking about a BIG one for this job) could explode on liftoff and scatter spent fuel across the globe. I'd like to think we're smart enough to do that without incident; but rockets do tend to blow up sometimes. I think scientists can come up with ways of storing away spent fuel without launching it through our atmosphere.

Phone posted:

Personally I feel that burning coal and gas to boil water is a bit much, but that's just me.
No argument, here. I prefer nuclear fission to burning fossil fuels. On the other hand, I also feel apprehension. I've read it likened to using a bazooka to killing a cockroach, but that might have just been someone trying to justify burning coal or natural gas.

McDowell posted:

I think this is a distinct possibility.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Define "massive." Again, all I am saying is that this technology could advance (if we invested in it and implemented it) and could then be much smaller, cheaper, and more efficient than you envision.

E: Sorry, McDowell, but the technology to which I am referring is nothing like lots of little storage cells in parallel. It's a whole new science of battery, using chemicals and a scientifically-designed dialectric to create storage systems unlike putting lots of little units together.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 18, 2014

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Bearing in mind that despite capitalist fuckups, still less than 2 deaths over the entire history of commercial nuclear power operated by private companies.

Which of the two wasn't Karen Silkwood?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
There was a guy that got murdered by being thrown into some uranium processor.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Phone posted:

I remember talking to some neo-hippie* about this and brought up the idea that in a much, _much_ shorter timeframe than the half-life of fission products we'd have a 100% reliable surface-to-orbit transport method, and if she was really worried about nuclear waste we could send it up and chuck it into a long-term decaying orbit that would end up in the sun.

Her response, in a worried tone of voice: "But what's that going to do to the sun?!"
:vince:

* the sort whose father is a Manhattan corporate attorney and is bankrolling his daughter's alternative lifestyle to keep her out of his hair...

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CarterUSM posted:

I brought up the idea that in a much, _much_ shorter timeframe than the half-life of fission products we'd have a 100% reliable surface-to-orbit transport method...
In a less-horrible world I think you are correct. If we could convince some entity (a government, or a corporation with government-backing, for example) to build a "rail-gun," or a "Magnetic Satellite Launch System" on Earth (which is another technological achievement I believe we could make happen) then we could at least get those products into LEO. From there, we still have to figure out how to fire them off somewhere they will never come back. I think getting them safely out of Earth's gravity-well is the hard/expensive part.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And? What is it going to do to the Sun?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The entire Earth could crash into the sun, get vaporized and it would keep on shining. But that kind of ego crushing reality is just not acceptable.

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Dabir posted:

The photosphere of the sun is ~5000°C and the sun's mass is over 300,000 times that of the entire Earth. You could power the entire planet with nuclear reactors for a thousand years, chuck the entire agglomeration of its collective fission products at the sun, and we wouldn't even be able to see the impact from Earth.

Dr. Faustus posted:

In a less-horrible world I think you are correct. If we could convince some entity (a government, or a corporation with government-backing, for example) to build a "rail-gun," or a "Magnetic Satellite Launch System" on Earth (which is another technological achievement I believe we could make happen) then we could at least get those products into LEO. From there, we still have to figure out how to fire them off somewhere they will never come back. I think getting them safely out of Earth's gravity-well is the hard/expensive part.

Yeah, the trick is getting it up out of the well. Once you do that, you can just do a minor burn and put it into an orbit that will slowly spiral inward over a few thousand years.

Hell, a better solution in many ways would just be dropping it off in one of the Lagrangian points in the Earth-Moon system. That way, it's out of your hair, but still retrievable, if you're so inclined. I don't think you have to hit escape velocity to manage that, but I'm not an orbital dynamics guy.

CarterUSM fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 18, 2014

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Tonight at a bar I saw a new graphic on Fox News on how the poor aren't really poor in this country, no mention of refrigerators but something like 80%+ have microwaves! I think it was a piece on O'Reilly but I really was trying to have a good time with friends. gently caress you Fox for distracting me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radio Nowhere posted:

Tonight at a bar I saw a new graphic on Fox News on how the poor aren't really poor in this country, no mention of refrigerators but something like 80%+ have microwaves! I think it was a piece on O'Reilly but I really was trying to have a good time with friends. gently caress you Fox for distracting me.

What I find baffling is that they claim that the poor having microwaves makes them not poor. I guarantee you could easily find a used microwave for like $5. You can get a brand loving new one for $50 and all told you could probably get that much money just walking around town scraping change out of the gutter for a few days.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I find baffling is that they claim that the poor having microwaves makes them not poor. I guarantee you could easily find a used microwave for like $5. You can get a brand loving new one for $50 and all told you could probably get that much money just walking around town scraping change out of the gutter for a few days.

Yet they're the first to shout class warfare.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Our nation is so wealthy that you can find microwave money in the gutters.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not going to comment on what's "impossible" with battery power. The science is, I think, too young.

Define "massive." Again, all I am saying is that this technology could advance (if we invested in it and implemented it) and could then be much smaller, cheaper, and more efficient than you envision.

Sorry, but batteries that can hold several magnitudes the amount current chemistries can and are capable of constant deep discharge and charge cycles for decades at a time (the kind of things you'd need to store the entire nation's electrical output and needs) represent advances so far in battery tech that if we had them we could do things like eliminate most oil usage. We'd be talking energy densities that make gasoline look like a wet fart.

Massive as in very big, huge. This is an extremely large amount of power. The amount of energy the US uses daily as electricity, is equivalent to the energy of a 10 megaton explosion - the energy of 20 of the largest nuclear fission bombs ever constructed (Ivy King), minimum, contained and ready for conversion to straight electricity with a snap of the fingers.

Like, you don't seem to get that it's not like this is your computer battery or even the many large battery backup racks important facilities use to stay online. Your laptop battery needs to store mere dozens of watt-hours, a facility backup battery system might store a megawatt hour - America's battery backup needs to store terawatt hours, literally over a million times more power than a large scale facility might successfully handle. And unlike the industrial or data facility's batteries which might only undergo a few cycles of discharge and recharge since the power supply's steady, a reneweable-backing array of batteries has to recharge and discharge at least multiple times a day every day for years on end.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dabir posted:

Absolutely nothing, the difficult part is getting all that crap into low earth orbit. Rockets have a non-zero chance of blowing up and then you have nuclear waste parts potentially getting into the atmosphere and going wherever.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Dr. Faustus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moo5nuLWtHs

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Plus, you only pay for the microwave once. $5 bucks for 5 years of operation is ridiculously cheap. Rent, food, health insurance, cars; that poo poo costs money continually, every month.

Kilty Monroe
Dec 27, 2006

Upon the frozen fields of arctic Strana Mechty, the Ghost Dads lie in wait, preparing to ambush their prey with their zippin' and zoppin' and ziggy-zoop-boppin'.

Hazo posted:

Wait for Harry Reid to die, then shove it all into Yucca Mountain.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Look, I know that it's probably not a hundred percent, but all of these people in the NFL, I mean, what political party do you think they vote for and support? (interruption) Well, no wait. (interruption) Now, wait just... (interruption) Before you... (interruption)

Snerdley is in there going, "No, no, no, no! Don't go there! Don't." Wait just a second. Whenever there is a school shooting somewhere, the first thing the media does is try to establish a Tea Party connection, right? Brian Ross, ABC News, at a shooting in Colorado. The first thing he did was go to a roster of Tea Party members and try to find the killer's name.

Whenever there is an incident like this -- any kind of a mass murder, shooting, what have you -- the media does everything it can to link all of those to either talk radio or the Tea Party or conservatism or what have you. So I think it's only tit-for-tat here to be asking: All the people involved in all of these scandals, what is the likelihood that they vote Democrat? It would have to be pretty good.

I'm sure there are some exceptions, don't misunderstand. But, I mean, they're with this phony, totally manufactured War on Women, yet who is it that's really conducting one? Who is it that really, apparently, doesn't have a whole lot of respect for women? It's a bunch of people that vote Democrat, is it not? It's a bunch of people that likely vote Democrat. I'm telling you, folks, all those times...

Remember when Gabby Giffords was shot at a public appearance out in Arizona. They, in the media, tried to link it to me and something that Sarah Palin had on her website. They try to link stuff like this to talk radio every time it happens. They salivate over the possibility! But it really hit the point of ridiculousness when Brian Ross actually went on Good Morning America and said that it is likely and highly possible that one of the shooters at some incident Colorado was a member of the Tea Party.

He didn't wait for any of that to be produced by fact. He started with that premise! He was hoping that was going to be the case, or somebody who assigned him to look at it did. Don't really know. Could have been an assignment editor, producer, what have you. But this is not supposition. I mean, we can pretty much figure out by virtue of demographics and race and statistical analysis how some of these people are voting and who they've voted for.

Remember the Republican convention I think it was in Houston in 1992? Remember when Woody Allen, it was revealed, had had an affair with his stepdaughter? I remember back then a bunch of people said, "The Democrat Party has Woody Allen social values," or whatever. And everybody said, "You can't say that!" Why not? He votes Democrat. Why not? He's a liberal.

You guys make it up about us all the time. I know what some of you are saying. "Mr. Limbaugh, this does not advance the notion of comity and cooperation to simply play tit-for-tat." I'm not trying to advance comity and getting along with the other I'd side. I'm interested in beating them, and the aggressor in any conflict sets the rules.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/09/17/aren_t_most_nfl_players_democrats

quote:

RUSH: Now, may I remind you, was it last year or the year before when I, who am totally tuned in to this, very conscious and very aware, I was able, my instincts alone, to sense -- it started with this concussion business -- that there were forces out there that were out for this game, that had targeted this game in a political sense. This is what's the toughest thing to make people believe. Because football, sports, is for everybody, an escape from politics. But this is a pure political agenda now that's gotten itself intertwined with the NFL. Make no mistake about it.

We had a caller, I think it was yesterday, from Southern California, who had a great point. Liberalism in the media fails at CNN. Liberalism in the media fails at MSNBC, fails in terms of ratings. I'm not denying they have societal impact. I wouldn't be that foolish. Liberalism failed as Air America. Liberalism works in media, in the news business, in Hollywood, in publishing, music and so forth, and sports talk radio.

Sports talk radio is where you find actual condensed, undiluted, pure liberalism, drivel, and bilge. And the danger there is that the fans think they're getting away from politics by caring about sports and statistics and so forth. But you can't escape politics anywhere in America today. You simply can't. If you are an engaged person who comes in contact with some form of media, you can't escape politics because politics is what liberalism is. Liberalism is not compassion. It's not sensitivity. Liberalism is not caring for the disadvantaged. Liberalism is pure politics and the quest for power, and they do a bang up job of disguising it.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Let me add one thing to my description of liberalism, in addition to everything else that I said. It's all politics disguised as something else. It is brute force. Liberalism is brute force. It is bullying. It is intimidation. It is threat. It has all kinds of characteristics related to brute force as its primary way of implementation. Because at no time in this nation's history or present has a majority of Americans ever really embraced it knowing full well what they're doing.

Liberalism has to mask and camouflage and hide itself in order for mass appeal. But when they take the mask off, when they're feeling confident, it's brute force as a form of implementation, because they haven't found a way to sell it in the arena of ideas.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/09/17/aren_t_most_nfl_players_democrats
Good Lord the projection here :psyduck:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Radio Nowhere posted:

Yup, saw that myself when I was out munching on food. It's utterly stupid.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I wonder why Rush assumes NFL players, people who have boot strapped themselves into self made millionaires, vote Democrat?

Must be some other thing, I can't quite put my finger on it.

He's practically falling over himself to avoid saying it. I wonder why.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Even if renewables can't provide all the power we need all the time, it'd be stupid not to build them and reduce the need for fossil fuels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

CarterUSM posted:

Yeah, the trick is getting it up out of the well. Once you do that, you can just do a minor burn and put it into an orbit that will slowly spiral inward over a few thousand years.

I don't think it's possible to create a decaying orbit like that with a single minor burn; an orbit can only spiral inward if there's some force causing it to spiral inward. No way to get something into the sun unless you burn off the 30 km/s of delta-v from the Earth's orbital velocity.

It's still possible in the reasonable future, especially with the half-life of nuclear waste, but it's still unfortunately not as simple as that.

Idran fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 18, 2014