Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

TooManyUzukis posted:

Originally, there was some slight Shu whitewashing because the original historical record (commissioned by Jin) was compiled by a Shu historian. Even so, there was an even larger Wei bias since Jin had usurped Wei, and thus establishing Wei's legitimacy was paramount to establishing Jin's.
Hence why I'm ambivalent about weighing in that hard on the history and stick mostly to the novel when discussing Three Kingdoms lore in this thread.

TooManyUzukis posted:

Finally, the dynasty following the Yuan (the Ming) brought an end to Mongol rule and sought to establish itself as the legitimate successor to the Han. Once again, Shu's struggle against Wei and previous association with the Han made them appear in a favorable light. This is the era in which the original novel was actually written.

Anyone really interested in the full explanations (and not my confused half-remembered reasons) should read the papers in the back of the Moss Roberts edition of the novel. He delves into some very interesting analysis.
We've gone over it more than once in the thread, although I can't remember how many pages back. Also, ironically the even-more-Shu-biased version that we're basically all more familiar with (than Luo Guanzhong's original, no less) and from which the popular lore (and video games) was derived... was written during the Qing dynasty (Manchu rule).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My favorite tidbit I learned was the battle of hulao gate was impossible because it didn't actually exist for another few centuries.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

My favorite tidbit I learned was the battle of hulao gate was impossible because it didn't actually exist for another few centuries.
Well, by the Orochi series we've already determined that time travel was possible back then...

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tae posted:

I believe that the correct name of the battle is Hulao pass. It sounds cooler if you translate it though: the battle of Tiger Trap Pass.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh my gosh, thank you whoever it was who said Ryu was broken. He's amazing even at a third of the levels of everyone else. His Mosou kind of seems to suck, but with his R attack being that, who needs it? Bang, everyone around you is dead, and those guys over there are dead too. Dead from ninja fireballs.

Just battered over 1600 dudes in one battle. That was fun. I like the battles that give you tons of enemies and nobody to guard.

Warriors Orochi has shot to my favourite of the series so fast. Dynasty Warriors has a huge enough cast as it is but Orochi has even more and it's mad. Plus a fuckton of ninjas. Loads.

And Yukimura, who is just great. He needs his Charizard though. :v:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ever since the first Warriors Orochi game, a lot of the really brokenly powerful characters were the ones which had an invincible, spammable, elemental R1 which could reliably sustain itself on Osmosis and the damage it dealt. In this game, it's (in ascending order of brainlessness) guys like Keiji, Nu Wa, Susano, Kaguya, and Mitsuhide who fulfill the Dynasty Warriors stereotype of pressing one button to win a stage--except the button is R1, not Square.

WO3 has another generally strong category, which is people with a really good self-buffing R1, usually Wonder-types who can take Typhoon and cancel out of R1 directly into an invincible guard break. Aya, Joan of Arc, Liu Shan, Gracia. Sweet jesus Gracia.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

HJE-Cobra posted:

Speaking as someone who is both unfamiliar with ancient China and/or the Romance of Three Kingdoms, and DW8 being my first DW game, it definitely felt a bit hard to follow at times. Lots of names of people and places thrown at me, with new people showing up and disappearing all the time, it was kinda confusing at first.

Having played through the main three story campaigns now, it definitely makes more sense as a whole. I just kinda had to get a hang of who's who and the basics of how the factions work.

The whole time I played it, all I could think was how totally awesome it would be if I was actually familiar with the historical people. While it was fun shooting ice powers to save ancient China from chaos, it woulda been better if I was already knew about how Cao Cao was or whatever.

The version of the book I'm reading has it translated as Tiger Trap Pass. I had to look it up to make sure that - yep, this is Hulao Pass I'm reading about. Love it.

I'm halfway through the book and Lu Su has to be my favourite character so far. He's just so chill about everything. Shame about Zhou Yu really, he spent the last few chapters getting duped by Grand Strategist Sleeping-Dragon Zhuge Liang until he got so angry he died.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Keeshhound posted:

Jia Chong, Deng Ai and Guo Huai are pretty impeachable. Also, you forgot Ding Feng.

I will report for my deserved execution immediately. :negative:

Also one of the things I love in the DW/RotK encyclopedias is reading about people who got trolled so hard they died. Stuff like "Zhuge Liang sent This Dude a letter so insulting, This Dude died from rage." or "Was insulted by Cao Cao and died from humiliation." and stuff like that. Unrelenting glory.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

That happens a lot in the 2010 TV show, and it's hilarious every time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zhuge Liang yells at a guy in the middle of a battlefield and just straight up coughs blood and dies because...Zhuge Liang sitting in a wheelchair was too much apparently.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Zhuge Liang, Sleeping Dragonborn.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Enallyniv posted:

Zhuge Liang, Sleeping Dragonborn.

FUS ROH *dies in a wheelchair*

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I CANNOT STOP LAUGHING

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Minor thing, but DW8 Empires's Gamecity page updated a week back with a music section in the gallery for all your buttrock needs

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Likewise minor, but Knights of Valour 2015 is a thing that is happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZbLJ3WusQ4&t=44s

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Chortles posted:

Likewise minor, but Knights of Valour 2015 is a thing that is happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZbLJ3WusQ4&t=44s

Looks very much like an old-school arcadey sidescrolling beat-em-up.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

The GIG posted:

Minor thing, but DW8 Empires's Gamecity page updated a week back with a music section in the gallery for all your buttrock needs

Got to say, I'm getting hyped for this. Empires always had that 'one more turn' thing that made me accidentally play it until three in the morning. But eventually, you know the game so well that both the battles and strategy side lose any challenge. Hope the new one will find some way to mix up each play through.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is DW8 Empires getting a physical release in the US? Probably not, since DW7 Empires and the new Samurai Warriors are all digital, but I figure I'll ask.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It might. The mainline DW series still gets physical releases. The others are digital only because Sony has weird rules about dubbing in retail releases, iirc (Yakuza was allowed to break them, but not sure why.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There are other franchises that have had retail releases with no English voice track, like Agarest and Deception. It's not a requirement. Tecmo Koei just doesn't want to spend a fortune printing and shipping thousands of copies of hyper-niche Warriors spinoffs when the people who buy them will just as well get them digitally.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dragon Quest Heroes gameplay footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjFCfX7g3Rw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

It might. The mainline DW series still gets physical releases. The others are digital only because Sony has weird rules about dubbing in retail releases, iirc (Yakuza was allowed to break them, but not sure why.)
I think Sony used to have those rules, but they relaxed them long ago. Tons of games get physical releases with no dubs these days.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I'm really liking DW games with big monsters in them instead of just thousands of regular dudes

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

I think Sony used to have those rules, but they relaxed them long ago. Tons of games get physical releases with no dubs these days.

A lot of Compile Heart games don't have dubs, in particular the Agarest War games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh goddamn, all these DQ throwbacks. I was already sold on this but daaaaaamn.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
New trailer for Empires out of TGS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_AruyIboc

looking at the trailer closer, I saw Yueying with the blade bow labeled as her EX on the HUD so looks like we're getting some more weapon reassignments coming up.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 18, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh goddamn, all these DQ throwbacks. I was already sold on this but daaaaaamn.

I'm waiting for this and the special edition PS4 being released alongside it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The GIG posted:

looking at the trailer closer, I saw Yueying with the blade bow labeled as her EX on the HUD so looks like we're getting some more weapon reassignments coming up.

no pc? guess we are already being dumped by koei

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

no pc? guess we are already being dumped by koei

They won't advertise pc in a trailer primary intended for Japan.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Aren't Samurai Warriors 4 only subbed? SW4 will be released on physical for PS4. PS3 version is digital only I think.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The GIG posted:

Gonna miss yueying being able to carve her way through an entire map with one button

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

lil baby anime posted:

Gonna miss yueying being able to carve her way through an entire map with one button

Gonna miss Yueying having a weapon that isn't irredeemably bad.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I just can't wait for more ridiculous custom characters. My favorite thing in Empires and Next was pro wrestling all of the three kingdoms into submission.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

oblomov posted:

Aren't Samurai Warriors 4 only subbed? SW4 will be released on physical for PS4. PS3 version is digital only I think.

Probably. Koei doesn't care about dubbing anything other than prime Dynasty Warriors games so you can assume SW4 will be JPN-only.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I hope they bring back officer relocation from 5:E in some way in 8:E. On one hand it was a pain to have to shuffle people around, but on the other, you have practically zero reason to ever play as anything but your main character in 7:E. I miss having to panic defend a fringe territory with a generic or some guy I never bothered to level up much. Maybe they could let you bundle your officers together in groups and move them around like that to minimize tedium, without completely removing the strategic considerations by having every officer be omnipresent throughout all or china like in 7:E.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Maleketh posted:

Gonna miss Yueying having a weapon that isn't irredeemably bad.

Pretty much, yeah. I don't understand why the keep taking her dagger axe away. Does she have some kind of historical affiliation with bows or something? Because they gave her a bow in DW6 too if I recall correctly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jibo posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I don't understand why the keep taking her dagger axe away. Does she have some kind of historical affiliation with bows or something? Because they gave her a bow in DW6 too if I recall correctly.
She doesn't even exist in history. Rather, Zhuge Liang obviously had a wife, and her name *might* have been Huang Yueying, but there's no real records about her existence. In folk lore, she's credited with some random inventions like Wooden Oxen, which is why she gets the invention schtick in the games, but pretty much any weapon they could give her would be made of whole cloth.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 18, 2014

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

It's possible that they just wanted to give her a weapon with more moving parts - one that's more "high-tech" than the dagger-axe.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Does the PS4 version have any features/content the PS3 doesn't? If not, I'll just get the PS3 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PureRok posted:

Does the PS4 version have any features/content the PS3 doesn't? If not, I'll just get the PS3 version.

Of DW8? The ps4 version has the xl expansion included which is another 30$ separately.

Orochi 3 and SW4 are identical AFAIK