Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Is there a specific position to store calligraphy/ink pens (nib down, up, or whole pen flat)?
Pens that use cartridges like this http://www.farbenlaube.at/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Pilot_Parallel_Pen_Set_4_lg-1.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Is there any way to shift the position of a diacritic in InDesign?

specifically, moving the circumflex a bit to the left:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Exclamation Marx posted:

Is there any way to shift the position of a diacritic in InDesign?

specifically, moving the circumflex a bit to the left:

Usually when I have to do this sort of thing I just type the letter normally, then type the accent in a blank spot beside it, then kern the two so they overlap the way I want it.

In this case the circumflex is replacing the dot in the i, so... I don't know. Sorry!

If you're doing it huge in just one spot like that, you could just convert to outlines and move it over. But if it's in body copy I'm not sure.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

triplexpac posted:

Usually when I have to do this sort of thing I just type the letter normally, then type the accent in a blank spot beside it, then kern the two so they overlap the way I want it.

In this case the circumflex is replacing the dot in the i, so... I don't know. Sorry!

If you're doing it huge in just one spot like that, you could just convert to outlines and move it over. But if it's in body copy I'm not sure.

Did what you suggested with a dotless i, thanks!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I need a portable drafting table, does anyone know any that might be good? Someone told me to make one myself... which might be possible but I'm not sure if it'd be too heavy.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Adobe Illustrator CS6 question.

I've drawn a circle, then applied the Zig Zag Transformation:

Now I want to use the Pathfinder's Divide function to cut it in half, like so:

But then it gives me this:

It seems to apply the zig-zag effect to every part of the drawn shape. But I don't want this. I just want a clean division of the object, without it redrawing a bunch of zig-zags in the middle. How do I get it to work properly?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I believe you got to expand your zig zag first. Look at the actual shape, it's still a circle, so it's just applying that patterned stroke. You need to turn the zig zag stroke into an actual shape before dividing it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

I believe you got to expand your zig zag first. Look at the actual shape, it's still a circle, so it's just applying that patterned stroke. You need to turn the zig zag stroke into an actual shape before dividing it.
Oh dear God. Expanding was all I had to do. :doh:

So what's the difference between Illustrator 'Expand' and its Path > Outline Stroke functions? I thought that Outline achieved the same effect, but I was confused as to why it wasn't letting me divide the shape properly.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 13, 2014

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I only have an intuitive understanding of what "expand" does, but it's the rough equivalent of "rasterizing" something in photoshop - it reduces the shape down to being just what you see - any editable effects or transformations (that helped you make the object look how it does now) are stripped away, and it just turns in to an inert shape. Equivalent in the program to a simple rectangle. Any "behind the scenes" math that was being applied is frozen in place. That's bad if you decide you want less zig-zagginess (or more bloating, or more arching etc), because now you're stuck with what you've got. But it's good if you want to do boolean operations on it, or deform it point-by-point, because now the object really IS defined by how it looks on screen - instead of being a base object with editable transforms applied.

Outline stroke just takes your stroke (which is a sort of effect, since you can change the weight and such) and turns it in to a solid shape. But just the stroke itself - the outline of your object. The box on the lower left with the open center controls its color. The object itself (the fill) remains separate. And if you were trying to outline the stroke of an object without one, it wouldn't do anything.

Illustrator is hard to explain, but if you keep messing around you'll get it.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I only have an intuitive understanding of what "expand" does, but it's the rough equivalent of "rasterizing" something in photoshop - it reduces the shape down to being just what you see - any editable effects or transformations (that helped you make the object look how it does now) are stripped away, and it just turns in to an inert shape. Equivalent in the program to a simple rectangle. Any "behind the scenes" math that was being applied is frozen in place. That's bad if you decide you want less zig-zagginess (or more bloating, or more arching etc), because now you're stuck with what you've got. But it's good if you want to do boolean operations on it, or deform it point-by-point, because now the object really IS defined by how it looks on screen - instead of being a base object with editable transforms applied.

Outline stroke just takes your stroke (which is a sort of effect, since you can change the weight and such) and turns it in to a solid shape. But just the stroke itself - the outline of your object. The box on the lower left with the open center controls its color. The object itself (the fill) remains separate. And if you were trying to outline the stroke of an object without one, it wouldn't do anything.

Illustrator is hard to explain, but if you keep messing around you'll get it.

Simpler way to word it would be that "Expand" bakes all dynamic appearance properties.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So in a way, "Expand" actually does just the opposite. :haw:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
With the marquee tools in photoshop, what's the key to make the dots invisible?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Koramei posted:

With the marquee tools in photoshop, what's the key to make the dots invisible?

Ctrl + h

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Something I'm unsure about when writing is handling ranks. Like, say, in this sentence:

"I'm here," Captain Jones said.

'Captain' is capitalized with the last name. But what about when using the rank to refer to a specific person without mentioning the name? Which of these would be right?

"I'm here," the Captain said.

or

"I'm here," the captain said.

I've always done it the second way when I use a rank (or a title, for that matter) to refer to someone without their name, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Detective Thompson posted:

Something I'm unsure about when writing is handling ranks. Like, say, in this sentence:

"I'm here," Captain Jones said.

'Captain' is capitalized with the last name. But what about when using the rank to refer to a specific person without mentioning the name? Which of these would be right?

"I'm here," the Captain said.

or

"I'm here," the captain said.

I've always done it the second way when I use a rank (or a title, for that matter) to refer to someone without their name, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

I'm pretty sure that since you're using captain to refer to a specific person, it's capitalized. If you were talking about the generic rank ("he was a captain"), then it'd be lower.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I would personally go with the same rules as for "Mom" and "Dad". Capitalize it when you are calling a single, specific person "Dad" or "Captain" and lowercase if you are just talkin' about a dad.

trolling idol
Mar 19, 2014
Is it possible to learn how to draw by taking college classes or do you have to be born with that gift/talent?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

trolling idol posted:

Is it possible to learn how to draw by taking college classes or do you have to be born with that gift/talent?

Drawing is a skill that you practice and learn. Some people can learn faster than others, but anyone can be very good with hard work. And by hard work I'm talking years and years here.

So yeah if it's a thing that you want, you can get it. Just know that it'll be a huge time sink if you want to get good with any sort of speed.

Take a class and see how you like it.

trolling idol
Mar 19, 2014

JuniperCake posted:

Drawing is a skill that you practice and learn. Some people can learn faster than others, but anyone can be very good with hard work. And by hard work I'm talking years and years here.

So yeah if it's a thing that you want, you can get it. Just know that it'll be a huge time sink if you want to get good with any sort of speed.

Take a class and see how you like it.

Thank you!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Couldn't find a better suited place for this, but here it is.

I'm working on my portfolio and I'm having trouble with my div vertical alignment. They're set to inline-block for horizontal scrolling (anything else messes up big time), but the pivots/origins/scaling directions of the divs are just all over the place, and I have no idea why. My temp divs in the below rows are fine, but I don't know why, maybe it's to do with differently scaled assets pushing others out of line?

The site is here: http://kodie.me/test/ . All the jquery stuff is thoroughly documented, since otherwise I have to keep spending half an hour remembering what stuff does every 40 minutes.

Here are some illustrations on my woes:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Give #chatterbox vertical-align:top.

EDIT: For what it's worth your site annoys me. If you're just trying to show off your reel, make the page just the embed of your reel centered. That 100% takes away your personality and creativity of the page, but it's not going to turn people off.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 5, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've got a bunch of empty CD jewel cases (500+). I don't want to put them in the landfill and would like to make something creative. I checked out Etsy for ideas and all I see are calendars and photo frames. Yawn.

Any suggestions?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Make tiny one page popup books/dioramas.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

The Dave posted:

Give #chatterbox vertical-align:top.

EDIT: For what it's worth your site annoys me. If you're just trying to show off your reel, make the page just the embed of your reel centered. That 100% takes away your personality and creativity of the page, but it's not going to turn people off.

What actually annoys you? Because I'm definitely not going to remove all my portfolio assets for you. All the behaviours and appearances are still a work in process with plenty of temporary crappiness.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Megaspel posted:

What actually annoys you? Because I'm definitely not going to remove all my portfolio assets for you. All the behaviours and appearances are still a work in process with plenty of temporary crappiness.

The concern would be hiding or delaying the stuff people have come to actually see behind some webdev wizardry because "it looks cool" (assuming that webdev isn't what you're portfolio is for). Hard to tell if that's a worry yet with those two screenshots, but it's something to keep in mind.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It could just be that you're in the middle of things and we shouldn't be judging it yet. Like I said, if your reel is really what you want people to see, then just show them the reel. Seems like a moot conversation for now then and it would be better for you to ask for feedback when the page is actually done (unless you need any more help with putting things together).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also be VERY careful when you start messing with scrolling. Right now your main site, http://kodie.me/, is very jankity on its horizontal scrolling (not smooth, was jumping left and right for me) and can easily get people to just leave your site from frustration.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

The Dave posted:

Also be VERY careful when you start messing with scrolling. Right now your main site, http://kodie.me/, is very jankity on its horizontal scrolling (not smooth, was jumping left and right for me) and can easily get people to just leave your site from frustration.

Yeah I know, I threw together that site very fast in between deadlines, I should've just stuck with vertical scrolling on that one. Hopefully I'll be able to fix the terrible scrolling with this one in time though, if you just stick with using the arrow keys/wasd it's fine, but I need to spend a lot more time with the scrollwheel/scrollbar before it becomes non-annoying. I'll try and sort out the presentation of the showreel too.

Saffronica
Feb 10, 2009
Can anyone please recommend a decent wireless printer (and sensible ink replacement cartridge prices ) for under £200 that is good for printing on card? I've been reading reviews for three days on the internet and it's driving me insane.

If there is anyone out there who occasionally draws on a tablet and prints out their work, please let me know what printer you use :)

Thank you very much!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Creative Cloud - can you install and use things like Photoshop CC on multiple computers (but not at the same time) with one account? Like how Steam does it?

Edit: Nvm https://forums.adobe.com/thread/998899

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it's nice my work pays for my Creative Suite CC and the license allows me to have it on my home machine as well.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Hey guys. I'm kicking around an idea I had to make a little money by selling wall decals of some paintings by my sister (or rather, most likely vectorized versions of them). Here are a few of her pieces: https://www.facebook.com/BrittDeMarisArt/photos_stream
She's done pretty well for herself selling prints here and there and I think she has a pretty broad appeal that would lend itself to largish wall decals (which I see everywhere right now)

I've always thought she could make a killing by doing custom wall murals for people with too much money or kids rooms or whatever.. but she has too much going on to get into something like that. So I've been doing a little research on how realistic it would be to make and sell them as decals and make a few extra bux for her and her baby. I have a few questions, if anyone knows anything about printing decals I'd appreciate your input.

It seems like any kind of specialized printer/cutter is way beyond my means. And Any kind of website that lets you upload your own images to be mailed to you as a decal is prohibitively expensive. I do have my own Epson 3880 17" printer though, do you think it would be possible to use that to print directly on to either contact paper or some other kind of specialized transparent film? I should know my own printer better but as far as I know there is no advertised function that can do this, but thought maybe there was some possible hack or something.

Other than that, can you think of any other way to cheaply make my own wall decals? Is there some kind of media that I can stick cut-out parts of paper prints onto that can then be put onto a wall? Either by static or adhesive, I don't know what would be best.

Probably none of this is possible but thought it was worth a shot. Thanks!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Forget web printers, check out local printers/sign-makers. May not be cheaper, but they might be willing to work with you. Or at least point you to what paper you could buy to do it yourself.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed. If you want to produce something of high enough quality that someone would actually pay money for it you're going to have to go with a professional printer. Heck, you'd probably spend as much money on ink for your printer as you would to get it done professionally.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I have some Liquitex gloss medium & varnish I want to use as a varnish. Their site says to let the painting cure for 48 hours. Other varnishes I have seen say it's okay to use them after 24 hours of drying time. Would I be really messing things up if I went for 24 hours with their product (most of the painting would actually be dried for long enough, but there are parts here and there where it will be less than that, mostly touch ups)? I unfortunately didn't plan things too well and am running short on time for getting this painting varnished. And should I be diluting it before I varnish? It says it can be, but I don't know the pros and cons of doing it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
What do I need to do to open an SVG file in Illustrator CC 2014?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Um open it like anything else?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Detective Thompson posted:

I have some Liquitex gloss medium & varnish I want to use as a varnish. Their site says to let the painting cure for 48 hours. Other varnishes I have seen say it's okay to use them after 24 hours of drying time. Would I be really messing things up if I went for 24 hours with their product (most of the painting would actually be dried for long enough, but there are parts here and there where it will be less than that, mostly touch ups)? I unfortunately didn't plan things too well and am running short on time for getting this painting varnished. And should I be diluting it before I varnish? It says it can be, but I don't know the pros and cons of doing it.

I think 24 hours should be fine if you're in a hurry. You're varnishing acrylic right? It'd be completely different with oils, as the painting would have to be completely dry for a proper varnish. That can take several days to several weeks or even months.

Diluting, I dunno...you could dilute it a bit and paint several thinner layers for a neater finish. Also, the thicker the medium the more likely it's to crackle over time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, I sent off a coloring submission to a comic company the other day. A friend of mine told me to email one of the editors, since the editor was really nice when my friend met him.

I'm wondering if that would be a major faux pas though. I'm sending in my submission like everyone else, where the guidelines are "don't call us, we'll call you." I'm not sure if an unsolicited email or communication through LinkedIn would leave a very good first impression. The other part of me would love to have an editor look at my stuff and give me feedback. Their submissions guidelines say that will only contact you if they have work for you, so I'm not really expecting any kind of response back.

Am I right in thinking that an unsolicited email to an editor would do me more harm than good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to practice drawing females more. I enjoy a more cartoony style, and I'm trying to work on faces, hair, noses and eyes. Any good resources for tips or advice for practice? I could also practice anatomy more.

I've been looking at how Doug TenNapel, Shiyoon Kim, Gris Grimly, and other artist I like from this Pinterest board draw them, and I've been trying sketches in different styles and anatomy studies, but I could use a lot more ideas, resources, or stylistic techniques to study.

Any and all help/resources would be amazing.