Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

lol

I'm going to make this really simple for you and the other dumb people: different landscapes own for different reasons and asking a very broad question like "what makes a landscape work" (as if all landscape photos are the same) and expecting a specific answer is just going to get you laughed at.

hth
Yeah LOL. I'm dumb because I can actually read into the context of a statement. You're a genius.

Would have been a good response to say what kind of visual techniques you used in a photo and why it was good or not, but instead of posting that we get a bunch of posts telling him to gently caress off or some equivalent. What a great forum this is. Do everything you can to avoid some analysis that goes beyond a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Helicity posted:

I dislike the style of landscape that fills up my social media feeds:

Take a picture of clouds or an aurora or whatever with a Canikon with the same 2-3 wide lenses, don't give any thought to composition or any of that boring poo poo, crank the clarity/saturation to 11. That aurora should look like an acid trip, so crank the red/green sliders to 11 as well. The camera "saw" it, so it's like you're showing what the scene really looked like.

Crank contrast because otherwise those clouds are boring, who cares about the noise you're adding. On second thought, let's do noise reduction until that cloud looks like a liquid blob. Maybe clone out things that don't "belong" like signs on the side of the road or powerlines. Shoot wide open with a lens that looks like poo poo in the corners wide open, but you need that ISO locked at 100 so don't think about moving to something like f5.6. When you're done slap your nasty "Bart Radfucker's Nature is The poo poo & Wedding Photography" watermark across the bottom 1/5th of the image so people don't steal your image.

I like anything that's the opposite of that. I've really been digging mountain pics lately that have been done on MF/LF film. Some of the stuff in Patagonia's catalogs is really awesome, and throwing a climber/hiker in the shot provides a great sense of scale. Because of my aversion to the Kinkadesque poo poo above, I gravitate towards slightly desaturated images. I'm also really liking those things that "ruin" landscape photos like buildings, people, signs, powerlines, and whatnot. You're telling a story and capturing a moment in time, and those things shouldn't be ripped out thoughtlessly.

Social media is killing my ability to appreciate or enjoy other people's photos, pretty much because of what you said here. I was looking at this supposedly well reputed "Fine Art" photo magazine page and the "winning entry" for whatever month/competition/whatever it was was pretty much exactly what you described above.

Now I try and think very carefully before heading towards a beach to take photos. Kind of part of the reason I restrict myself to black and white these days (as well as cost on bigger formats), I think it helps me pay more attention to the subject matter rather than just relying on a nice stock-standard sunset to do half the work for me. But that's just me :P I still suck.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 18, 2014

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Serves you right for developing a sense of taste I guess.

I really want to go out and take some photos just now.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

East Lake posted:

That's not dumb or reductive in context. Maybe you'd like it to be so you can continue with this retarded dogpile. The answer in this particular thread is that it's useless to ask because nobody here knows what they're doing. When you reduce discussion to "does it own or does it not" asking any sort of difficult question is going to get that response.

Can we get a mod challenge here. Judged by a neutral party. Tia.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sludge Tank posted:

I still suck.

You're developing film and posting the results more frequently than I am, so you don't suck. I think the worst landscape photo is the one you don't take because you're paralyzed by some neurotic gear/technique thing.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I don't think a mod challenge is going to shake this thread's aversion to talking about technique.

It's not a landscape but you might like this zippy.

http://aboveboards-art.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-entrance-of-masked-dancers-edgar.html

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

which would be the best place for my 'bart radfucker's nature is the poo poo' watermark on this or does the presence of a road and telephone poles mean I need to tweak the wording slightly?

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 18, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Needs more sunset

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Put it on the wire between the two poles.

Subtle but intriguing.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

East Lake posted:

Yeah LOL. I'm dumb because I can actually read into the context of a statement. You're a genius.

Would have been a good response to say what kind of visual techniques you used in a photo and why it was good or not, but instead of posting that we get a bunch of posts telling him to gently caress off or some equivalent. What a great forum this is. Do everything you can to avoid some analysis that goes beyond a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Except that this is a far more specific question than was asked :thumbsup:

Quote a specific image (or gently caress off, whatever) and we can talk specific techniques. Until then, you're asking us to reduce a huge visual genre to a paragraph or two.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Except that this is a far more specific question than was asked :thumbsup:

Quote a specific image (or gently caress off, whatever) and we can talk specific techniques. Until then, you're asking us to reduce a huge visual genre to a paragraph or two.
I love that this is the main gripe about the post, too broad a question. What a tragedy. Everybody poo poo on the guy for too broad a question. Imagine what the world would be like with too many of those. I like posting to respect the spirit of the courtroom or else the autism gets uncontrollable.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

crap nerd posted:

which would be the best place for my 'bart radfucker's nature is the poo poo' watermark on this or does the presence of a road and telephone poles mean I need to tweak the wording slightly?

That's sweet.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Rad :taco:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

East Lake posted:

I love that this is the main gripe about the post, too broad a question. What a tragedy. Everybody poo poo on the guy for too broad a question. Imagine what the world would be like with too many of those. I like posting to respect the spirit of the courtroom or else the autism gets uncontrollable.

You're the only one here who seems to think it's a tragedy.

:)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Well this thread sucks.

:siren:MOD CHALLENGE:siren:

Due to our bangin' new thread title, your challenge (you being everyone) is to create an image that perfectly encapsulates the name "Bart Radfucker's Nature is the poo poo Photography." Not only should you be sure to watermark your images, points will be awarded for the style, size, and overall effect of the watermark as well as the image. What are the criteria? I don't know, what does Bart Radfucker find interesting?

Judges will be myself, and a LITERAL POOPING ROBOT, forums user Shithouse Dave, of Best Thread fame, as well as FAMOUS HOCKEY MODERATOR Hand Knit.

TO THE WINNER: Something nice like plat or archives or a new title, OR the ability to give the worst entry a custom title of your (worksafe/not-ponies/you know what I mean) choice. Also the decree of being deemed Objectively Correct regarding one issue relating to one poster.

TO THE WORST ENTRY: At the very best you'll get the "Musket banging your mom" poem as a title, at worst, whatever the person who won decides you deserve.

You have until 00:01 AM Monday, Pacific Time (as in you have all of Sunday if you need it.)

ZippySLC, grack, Musket, 8th, and other noted posters are encouraged but by no means required to participate

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 20, 2014

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

everybody posted:

Bart Radfucker

Please stop posting my Tinder name.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 18, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
This thread just went next level :allears:

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Nice, time to dust off the HDR button.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

I'm so sorry

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

grack fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 18, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Nice try, non-D4-having shitlord.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Nice try, non-D4-having shitlord.

Better throw some digital ICE on that burn.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

It is also allowable to change or update your submissions until the deadline (which is actually Monday 00:01 AM, as in, you have all of Sunday to do it).

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Jungle Gym by TomOlson, on Flickr

Coney Island Beach by TomOlson, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Bart also does weddings :colbert:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Haha, pulling out the big guns.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

beep-beep car is go fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

This will be bangin your mom, yolo.

Musket fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 18, 2014

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

BartRadFucker.jpg by ninetysevena, on Flickr

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

poo poo. That's good.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

East Lake posted:

What a tragedy.

Hey, so since you haven't posted again, I had a thought: does this mean you're going to go back to not discussing landscapes for another year? Just wondering. I'll just go ahead and mark "EAST LAKE SHITPOST" on my calendar for September 20th, 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

East Lake posted:

This member is no longer active on Flickr.

Awww BABBY shut down his flickr. For someone telling us how lovely we are at discussion, you sure didnt add to it at all.

Honestly not one of us found you worth helldumping anyways. I was just curious about what you did landscape wise. Shameful that I couldnt give you a critique. Some of your work was mildly ok.