Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

lol the Phaseshift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Honestly, though, that's fine because Tartan is a filthy Welshman who uses queendollars and not real dollars.

What Tartan doesn't know is that I'm actually half Welsh :colbert:

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

quote:

Sep 18
Daily sale: NS-44G Commissioner
Members sale: LC2 Lynx / GD-7F / VX6-7

o muerte posted:

Buy these. Whatever faction you play get them these are great guns.

Holy hell bought the Lynx and it is by far and away the best and most fun gun i have ever used, i have a KPH far higher than even my hacksaws using it for a little last night :stare:.

I cannot recommend this gun enough if you play TR, (almost makes up for the fact i bought it with SC the day before todays sale).

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Oh it's the Gold commissioner. gently caress that put the cheap one on sale :mad:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Figured I'd post this here since its becoming a regular thing. I generally work in the PM so I'm routinely up around 7-8AM CST doing Planetside so if anyone likes doing "Coffee Ops" or needs a morning gunner/buddy I'm on Emerald NC as SigmaEins, VS as SeventeenCats, and TR as Abigfathamlincoln.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I don't really get why people say the Pulsar is literal dogshit. I mean, what about it is so bad? It has roughly equal DPS to the Gauss Rifle and Reaper (698 RPM x 143 is roughly equal to 600 RPM x 167 or 500 RPM x 200) and comparable recoil stats, and has a long reload that's shorter than the Cycler's short reload. The only noticeable weaknesses are comparatively low damage per reload (which is a general VS issue) and the fact that the Terminus exists.

Similarly, the Corvus isn't bad by any means, but is slightly overspecialized. It's probably the smoothest-handling gun in the game and loving owns for mid and long-range. It's also the highest-DPM AR available to the VS :v:

I will say that it's hard to defend the CME since it's a direct competitor to the NS-11A at the same price.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

Figured I'd post this here since its becoming a regular thing. I generally work in the PM so I'm routinely up around 7-8AM CST doing Planetside so if anyone likes doing "Coffee Ops" or needs a morning gunner/buddy I'm on Emerald NC as SigmaEins, VS as SeventeenCats, and TR as Abigfathamlincoln.

Join me in the Higby's Heroes mumble for Coffee ops. Crushing ghost cappers hopes are dreams every morning.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Look, I think we can all (aside from Arghy) agree on some basic stuff:

- VS ARs are pretty crap. A few are functional but they're overall disadvantaged and could use some improvement.

- The Solstice and it's variants are poor carbines. The rest of the VS carbines are just fine, if a little dull. You guys get the Pulsar C for free, and it's in the running for the best drat carbine in the game.

- VS LMGs are boring but functional. There's a stinker or two, but nothing worse than the NC or TR 'bad' guns. You could use some more options with larger magazines (VS only has one LMG with a 100 round mag; NC and TR have three) but that's about it.

- Pistols need an actually good burst gun. The rest are fine, Spiker aside.

- VS has probably the best set of ES specials. Lancer, Lasher, Phaseshift, MAX arms, all good. You've got the best AI and AV combo for vehicles. The Spiker is your only stinkbomb and it's pretty minor in terms of overall game impact. Meanwhile NC has to deal with AI MAXes that are vastly less effective at ranges greater than 8m and the crap that is the Railjack, and the TR have the months-broken Striker.

VS has a couple of drat fine guns and a lot of average ones.

Also seriously, all of us have VS characters on Emerald even if they're not in GOKU. Stop claiming VS pubbies are smarter/better, we all get to see that they're as stupid as any other pubbies out there. You're not convincing anyone. At best you're better at herding them, but they're still goddamn stupid.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Pulsar, like the CME, has extremely low sustained recoil, which is really good on a stock gun. The only thing thats really "bad" about it is the tolerance is super high, but its less of an issue on a gun with such low recoil than it would be on other guns. Other than that, its just boring.
Corvus just needs its rof brought in line with similar guns. Change nothing else. Congrats, you now have a functional gun that isn't a turd compared to similar guns on other factions.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

novaSphere posted:

I don't really get why people say the Pulsar is literal dogshit. I mean, what about it is so bad? It has roughly equal DPS to the Gauss Rifle and Reaper (698 RPM x 143 is roughly equal to 600 RPM x 167 or 500 RPM x 200) and comparable recoil stats, and has a long reload that's shorter than the Cycler's short reload. The only noticeable weaknesses are comparatively low damage per reload (which is a general VS issue) and the fact that the Terminus exists.

Similarly, the Corvus isn't bad by any means, but is slightly overspecialized. It's probably the smoothest-handling gun in the game and loving owns for mid and long-range. It's also the highest-DPM AR available to the VS :v:

I will say that it's hard to defend the CME since it's a direct competitor to the NS-11A at the same price.

I already posted about the Pulsar on the previous page. It's not literal dogshit but it is disadvantaged when compared to the NC1 or T1. A tolerance fix will go a long way toward bringing it up to the level of those two. A 1000 cert AR is objectively better than the Pulsar VS1 by most metrics, which is a very bad thing when it's the faction's starter gun.

The CME handles just as smoothly as the Corvus does without the drawback of awful DPS (didn't think I'd ever say that about 652x143). When compared to the NS-11A it is smoother, has no drop, better velocity and more effective range. You feel the 0.75x downsides really kick in beyond 30-40m.

Tempest_56 posted:

- The Solstice and it's variants are poor carbines. The rest of the VS carbines are just fine, if a little dull. You guys get the Pulsar C for free, and it's in the running for the best drat carbine in the game.

The Solstice is fine really. It's a Pulsar VS1 with the correct tolerance value.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

I really can't think of a carbine worse than the Solstice.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Solstice Burst :v:

Really though, there isn't a carbine in the game I have a problem with balance-wise and I've auraxed all VS ones except for the Burst. Also have significant time on the NC and TR ones.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

I have auraxed the Burst and it's imo much much better than the stock. I ran it with a laser and HVA. The laser combined with the burst mechanics meant you could hipspam it in cqc with really good precision and mobility, while the HVA and burst ADS cone give you a relible weapon at range. It was an actual versatile weapon unlike the Solstice which imo is just inadequate at all ranges.

Seriously, I personally rate it over the Zenith.

Pand fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 18, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

novaSphere posted:

Low damage per reload is a big deal for VS. In a game where close combat is a thing and most reloads are shorter than the TTK having a really fast reload but small mag is not a good deal. Also, VS reloads are not any more efficient than TR/NC reloads; the time it takes the Cycler to reload takes into account that it's reloading a 33% larger magazine. The Pulsar is fine at midrange where you can reload without concern and then lay back into someone and the moving ADS COF advantage matters, and it's a gun that doesn't suffer too much from hitting the long reload... but then it inexplicably also has worse horizontal tolerance than the Cycler, a weapon with more DPS, more DPM, no recoil angle (Pulsar has the sharpest recoil angle of any default), and so forth, which all poo poo on that role.

Where is it supposed to be better than the Cycler? Up close? No, it has the same hipfire and worse DPS. So why is it objectively worse than the Cycler at the range it appears best suited for? It doesn't matter if it's workable (it is), it isn't as good and it's intentionally hobbled at its ideal role. It'd be like giving the Gauss Saw a 0.1 standing ADS COF because whatever, gently caress you. The Gauss is balanced rolewise against the Cycler, the Pulsar isn't. But bringing in the tolerance would mostly fix it (I'd also make the recoil angle shallower, personally). The Terminus existing is another matter (as is the T1S existing, which gives the TR their own Pulsar that is arguably better).

The Corvus is bad. It is a bad gun, objectively. It is over-penalized on ROF for insubstantial handling advantages, giving it the worst TTK of any AR. I'm sure you can do fine with it, so can I. It is very accurate. It also has lovely DPS for no good reason. Compare it with the Pulsar C; it's pretty much slightly more accurate overall, yet the Pulsar C gets 577 RPM which makes it perfectly competitive. Similarly the Razor/Cougar have better-than-average handling but only drop to 550. Would the Corvus be killing everyone everywhere with a bump to 550 or 577 RPM? I don't see why, it's not like everybody slaughters everyone with the more TTK-competitive SABR and Tross. In fact, the Tross is basically the Corvus except much more competitive, and it only has slightly better DPS. A small bump to the Corvus to bring it properly in line with other ARs is absolutely warranted. Or, if they're really fixated on making it slow-shooting, give it 35 rounds like the Cougar so it unquestionably has the best sustained damage capacity per magazine than any other 167 AR. It still makes the Corvus a strictly midrange weapon (where the CME is great midrange but still workable up close), but at least it's a niche.

All that being said, if anyone tells you the Solstice is bad they're full of poo poo. The Solstice might be the most dull weapon in the entire game, and it might be hard to argue it against the Pulsar C, but it lacks the same handicaps the Pulsar has against the Cycler. The Solstice is noticeably better at handling than the TRAC-5 and has a more efficient reload. Just make the Pulsar to the Cycler more like the Solstice is to the TRAC-5 and we're in business.

bUm posted:

I don't know what you're talking about : DA and AC are filled with upstanding paragons of MLG pro gaming and not a one ever seems suspicious.
DA players' stats are noticeably worse than AC players' stats despite being better than almost every other outfit. Also a lot of DA players stream. Considering the hackusations DA gets, draw your own conclusions about AC.

A Tartan Tory posted:

DA are legitimately that good.

There is a reason AC is called always cheating though.
Or just draw Tory's conclusion.

o muerte posted:

Hint: a lot of them are situationally good just like every faction's ARs. No, the VS don't get a TORQ clone, nor do they get a Reaper clone or a Tross or or or.. But then No one else gets an Orion or an SVA-88, so whatever.
Yeah TR doesn't get anything resembling the Orion or SVA-88.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nakar posted:

Yeah TR doesn't get anything resembling the Orion or SVA-88

The Carv-S or MSWR aren't at all bad, but they're not really comparable when they're missing the defining feature of the Orion and SVA-88.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
^^^ I'd take the MSW or CARV-S over the Orion or SVA-88. They lose the .75ADS but they gain a lot in return.

Nakar posted:

DA players' stats are noticeably worse than AC players' stats despite being better than almost every other outfit. Also a lot of DA players stream. Considering the hackusations DA gets, draw your own conclusions about AC.

This is literally the "best" defense I have ever heard someone give AC. "They can't be hacking, I've seen their players stream!"
Then they fight said players and go "what the gently caress, this is not legit"
Even having some of the highest overall accuracy stats in the game, mine are nothing compared to AC players, and its very rare I can 1v1 anyone from that outfit unless I shoot first and they're luckily not using the I Win Shield
Just take a look at this page and it'll give you an idea how far outside the norm AC's stats are: http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/play...%5D=2&f%5B%5D=3
For reference, IVI score is determined by Accuracy and Headshot Rate %

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

wei posted:

The Solstice is fine really. It's a Pulsar VS1 with the correct tolerance value.

It's not bad but it's a bit weak. I wouldn't call it a good carbine and I'd say the worst of the three defaults. Serviceable, but not a good weapon.

I just shake my head when I hear "Well, VS carbines are terrible! Except the Pulsar C. And the VX6-7. Serpent's pretty good too. And I guess the Zenith is okay. But the rest suck!" as has been said in this very thread.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Horizontal Tree posted:

^^^ I'd take the MSW or CARV-S over the Orion or SVA-88. They lose the .75ADS but they gain a lot in return.

I wouldn't say they gain a lot in return. The MSWR gets Soft Point, the CARV-S gets to be overshadowed by the CARV. But they are still great guns!

Horizontal Tree posted:

This is literally the "best" defense I have ever heard someone give AC. "They can't be hacking, I've seen their players stream!"
Then they fight said players and go "what the gently caress, this is not legit"

I've lost count of the number of times we've had a "No their really suspet stats are totally legit" discussion here only for them to be banned a few months later. I'm not sure if that pile can stack up to the "MLG outfit claim they're not assholes and try to explain why their assholish behavior was totally fine in this circumstance" pile yet though.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I feel like the basis of the argument about the Pulsar stems from the fact that the Cycler is what it is, and not that necessarily that the Pulsar is bad. I've always had a problem with TR getting 143x750 weapons stock on top of deeper mags.

I'm fully aware of the argued lack of relative efficiency w/r/t VS "fast" reloads or that the Corvus is considered, by the numbers, an inferior weapon. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as everybody here is claiming it to be; however, I'll confess my lack of argumentative and debate skills makes it difficult to articulate why I think the issue is overblown here, so I'll just bow out of this.

edit: out of curiosity, I wanted to hear more about the Darkstar. I'd think a Pulsar with a compesnator and heat mechanics would be pretty good, but it makes wei mad? I'd like to hear more, as once I'm done with SMGs I plan to focus on AR directives.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Horizontal Tree posted:

Just take a look at this page and it'll give you an idea how far outside the norm AC's stats are: http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/play...%5D=2&f%5B%5D=3
Ahahahaha I mean come on. Like 2/3 of AC has a higher IVI score than NivX. And we all know how totally legit that guy was.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

hailthefish posted:

Now I almost kinda wonder if it might be that the other VS ARs are actually fairly OK but since everyone treats it as the gospel goddamn truth that they're all literal dogshit that we'll never ever know for sure.

This is the heart of the problem of Goon Gun Opinions. Incorrect assumptions from a one or a few get parroted as 100% the Best And True, and fads in playstyle dominate what we think of as the best stats for guns. The Solstice carbine is the single best example of this because of how much poo poo it gets despite being an extremely reliable gun. DPS doesn't matter when you have to fight the gun to achieve even half of it, and the Solstice will cooperate with the user all the time. Same with the Corvus- poo poo looking stats until you bother shooting people with it, because it has almost no effort wasted on fighting the gun so you can focus on fighting the persons movements. The Cerberus got a lot of flak and even I expected to hate it because I was looking at it as just an inferior Rebel in the role of headshot pistol. It's actually a pretty fuckin' amazing pistol combining the best trait of revolvers with the DPS and control of a Beamer.

HE tank weapons are verboten because of their nerfs, even though they remain 100% the best for what they do- dealing damage to more than one enemy behind cover that you otherwise would deal zero damage to. The situations you're firing HE in ideally don't matter about how many more times you have to shoot; that room will be full of red pulp sooner or later. The PPA spent months in its most bullshit good form before people deigned to try it enough and talk about it enough that it became the go-to thing to whine about VS using. Even the flash shotgun is turning out to be amazing now that at least a couple of us are trying it (coincidentally) on a whim.

Nakar posted:

Ahahahaha I mean come on. Like 2/3 of AC has a higher IVI score than NivX. And we all know how totally legit that guy was.

In their defense, they are basically a gestalt NivX that never fight without the rest and seem to redeploy away if they meet people who kill any of them two or three times. They have this heel poo poo down to a T.

Sard fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 18, 2014

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Horizontal Tree posted:

For reference, IVI score is determined by Accuracy and Headshot Rate %

It's not only the IVI score. It's the IVI score combined with the really high KPH and KDR on mostly automatic midrange weapons that sends my bullshit alert in overdrive. Like even if you acknowledge that they statpad like crazy against ultra bads (which they do) their stats are just way out of proportion.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
DA does the same thing (and indeed, AC and DA often redeploy to the same fights), yet their members - all of whom are really good - do not have stats as good as the AC guys. Vonic can scrubstomp a tower on a stream for hours and not put up numbers like this. GOKU redeploys a lot and some of its better members have very high stats.

AC does the same thing and posts impossible numbers. It certainly makes you go hmm.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wow this thread is even worse then I remember. Can we bitch about skygods now? Just for nostalgias sake?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Famethrowa posted:

Wow this thread is even worse then I remember. Can we bitch about skygods now? Just for nostalgias sake?

Sadly the nerfs to the Liberator and the new resource costs firing up the pubbies enthusiasm for pulling Coyote/A2AM fighters has managed to end the Skygod plague who now spend their time complaining on Reddit that lock on missiles swarms are ruining their honorable air game of ganging up on single clueless pilots.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Are you voting today Tory? Yay or Neeeighh?

Fart Car '97 posted:

Join me in the Higby's Heroes mumble for Coffee ops. Crushing ghost cappers hopes are dreams every morning.
Both of you join me in GOKU mumble so we can airshit during coffee hours, or just general poo poo. We always tend to have at least a squad of lovely horrible (disgusting) euro people at those hours.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
So a bug happened where the game thought I was in a sunderer and so none of my bullets, grenades or knife swipes did anything while running around. :soe:

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Delacroix posted:

So a bug happened where the game thought I was in a sunderer and so none of my bullets, grenades or knife swipes did anything while running around. :soe:

Could you still honk, this is important.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

It's not bad but it's a bit weak. I wouldn't call it a good carbine and I'd say the worst of the three defaults. Serviceable, but not a good weapon.

I just shake my head when I hear "Well, VS carbines are terrible! Except the Pulsar C. And the VX6-7. Serpent's pretty good too. And I guess the Zenith is okay. But the rest suck!" as has been said in this very thread.

I prefer the Solstice VE3 to the TRAC-5 in most situations, but the TR get the Jaguar so whatever. The Solstice SF is probably my favourite of the 3 carbines with underbarrel attachments. I dislike Burst weapons in general but like Pand I've done reasonably well with the Solstice Burst. All those guns are fine to very good, and the NS-11C is a worthy addition to that list.

novaSphere posted:

edit: out of curiosity, I wanted to hear more about the Darkstar. I'd think a Pulsar with a compesnator and heat mechanics would be pretty good, but it makes wei mad? I'd like to hear more, as once I'm done with SMGs I plan to focus on AR directives.

It's a 25 round Pulsar. You need 51% accuracy for enough damage to kill a Resist Shield Heavy. Basically get headshots or you overheat and die. With 30 bullet magazines you'll probably still lose but at least you potentially have the DPM to still win if the other guy is bad.

The Compensator's kind of redundant on a weapon with such low vertical recoil, but it's there I guess. It's good as a support weapon (i.e. other people are shooting the same things as you are) but if you don't have very good accuracy and HSR (30+/20+?) you're going to have a lot of trouble killing full HP targets by yourself. It might still be worth working towards because they're still tuning Directive weapons. The overwhelming response from VS players is that the Darkstar and Eclipse both need 2-3 more rounds.

Nakar posted:

Just make the Pulsar to the Cycler more like the Solstice is to the TRAC-5 and we're in business.

This is what I need to enjoy using the Darkstar like I do the Eclipse or Betelgeuse. I wouldn't turn down 2-3 more bullets per heat magazine too. It could be worse I guess, I mean the GODSAW still has some hilarious attachment choices.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Pand posted:

Could you still honk, this is important.

I didn't have time to try, I was killed by C4 from another hex.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
An enemy Vanu Complainery Sundy raced towards me as I stood, magnificently, in the center of the road, heroically popping off ineffectual bursts at their great war behemoth. My body may have been demolished by their nerfed VS sundy, but the mines I had placed behind me most certainly were not.

That's my amusing kill of the week. 5 VS dudes tragically cut down in their youth, I can hear their voices complaining about their gun options even now.

They're with the angels now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

God you people call the air enthusiasts autistic then bitch and moan about gun balance for pages and pages.

Remove infantry from the game, buff the lib.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

God I can't stand the Rhino. It's good for making GBS threads on really bad people all day, but every time I come up against someone who isn't awful it just doesn't have what it takes... Only 520 more kills to go on it, though.

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
If you've ever made or read a graph about this game, you are as bad as anything you're bitching about and my eyes glaze over at the thought of your existence.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Sep 18
Daily sale: NS-44G Commissioner
Members sale: LC2 Lynx / GD-7F / VX6-7

buying the one doesn't get you the others on all factions does it?

if it doesn't why wouldn't I just use my certs on it?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Fans posted:

I wouldn't say they gain a lot in return. The MSWR gets Soft Point, the CARV-S gets to be overshadowed by the CARV. But they are still great guns!

I've lost count of the number of times we've had a "No their really suspet stats are totally legit" discussion here only for them to be banned a few months later. I'm not sure if that pile can stack up to the "MLG outfit claim they're not assholes and try to explain why their assholish behavior was totally fine in this circumstance" pile yet though.

MSW gets SPA and Adv Laser (if thats your thing... I run a grip), and a lot less/better recoil. Carv-S is also way more controllable than the Carv and SVA. I prefer them for that reason.

honda whisperer posted:

God you people call the air enthusiasts autistic then bitch and moan about gun balance for pages and pages.

bestpost

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

Show us on the doll where the bad infantry touched you.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The loathsome serpent turns and devours its tail, dreams of choking.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

o muerte posted:

Show us on the doll where the bad infantry touched you.

Points to dalton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Horizontal Tree posted:

Carv-S is also way more controllable than the Carv and SVA. I prefer them for that reason.

I like the Carv-S because you can stick Extended Mags on it and forget what the reload button does for a while.

• Locked thread