Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If he wants to take more Skill Powers as feats, just let him---most of them are just utility powers or the kind of stuff a better skill system would let you do anyway. Or let him trade out utility powers, there's no real harm in it, since for a ton of classes their specific benefits from utility powers have more combat impact than given skill powers, and outside of combat's already so ill-supported by the rules that it never hurts to have more options.
The LAST thing I'd suggest is letting someone replace attack powers with skill powers, because burning out the (already limited) number of attack options a character has in favor of giving them more utility/edge case bonus options is just going to lead to a player getting bored when they run out of all their "good" attacks that much sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dremcon posted:

What if assassin shrouds were more of an internal counter thing and could be invoked on any target. So instead of putting them on targets you put them on yourself and use them up whenever.

I think there are powers and feats that have effects on your shrouded target; I haven't worked that out yet.

In the 4E game I'm in we have a shroud Assassin and they use this exact houserule, it works fine.

In fact Mike Mearls himself once said in an article that this should probably have been incorporated into the Assassin class but I guess being the D&D Lead Designer at the time it wasn't within his remit to do anything like update a purely digital class or anything, oh well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That would have the benefit of cluttering our Masterplan battlemap less with connections between tokens. We've already got two marks and at least one curse up at all times and it has more than once gotten to the point where we couldn't see a token for all the labels.

They're already more or less steamrolling everything but then the most fun battle we had recently was one where they weren't in any real danger to begin with so if it removes a source of frustration, I'm willing to give it a shot. Have to have a look at those powers and feats though.

Skill powers: yeah as far as I'm concerned he can load all his utility slots up with skill powers, no issue with that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There are some powers that do extra damage to targets with a shroud on them, stuff like that, but it in no way makes the Assassin overpowered or imbalanced to just say "you get any such bonuses so long as you have at least one shroud built up, go to town."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ha, we even just now finished the storyarc where he officially entered the Assassin's Guild, this will make a great reward. Superior training to make it Assassin's Focus or whatever.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah, Shroud Assassin's are underpowered as poo poo unless you either:

A)Homebrew them, and even then they usually won't be on par
or
B) Use some EXTREMELY legalistic assumptions about shrouds that describe them as seperate damage rolls that are part of the attack invoking them, allowing them to benefit from any vulnerabilites or extra damage one might deal.

From the charop forums- Look Very Carefully: The Shroud Assassin's Handbook

Look Very Carefully: The Shroud Assassin's Handbook posted:

Assassin's Shroud
Assassin's Shroud represents the Assassin's mystical ability to analyze the best way to attack a target. They are the Assassin's core damage feature, and the biggest thing which people have cried endlessly to fix about the class. Understanding exactly how this unique and oddly worded feature functions is necessary if you intend to build an Assassin that won't disappoint you.

"If you invoke your shrouds, the attack deals 1d6 damage per shroud, minus one shroud if the attack misses, and all your shrouds then vanish from the target. This damage roll never benefits from bonuses to damage rolls, and is in addition to the attack’s damage, if any."

There are five things to note in these two sentences.

1) "the attack deals 1d6 damage". The attack, not the shrouds, deal the damage. This is important for two reasons. First, modifications to the attack will affect the shrouds. Second, it proves that Assassin's Shroud is not itself an attack power according to the definition in the rules compendium, which would get in the way of any other free action attacks you picked up.

2) "and all your shrouds then vanish from the target". The shrouds do not vanish from the target until after the damage is dealt. This is important for certain timing interactions.

3) "This damage roll". Shrouds are explicitly their own damage rolls, and therefore their own instance of dealing damage.

4) "never benefits from bonuses to damage rolls". Alright, that means we can't add anything to our shroud damage, right? Wrong. It means we cannot add "bonuses to damage rolls" to it. This is huge, because it means shrouds are free to be increased by extra damage, vulnerabilities, critical hit damage bonuses, and all the miscellaneous dregs of the system that are not "bonuses to damage rolls". In short, if a source of damage benefits brutal barrage, it generally benefits a shroud roll.

5) It is clear that you recieve at least one additional damage instance. It is unclear whether each shroud is its own damage roll or if the shrouds together are a damage roll. Expect table variation on this. (My personal advice to DMs? Let it be per shroud, because otherwise you're removing all incentive to stack them and essentially castrating your poor stealth Assassin who took Hidden Insight and persuaded the entire party to hold back for three rounds so he could build up. The occasional one-shotted monster with preptime from a character named "Assassin" is a good thing.)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Madmarker posted:

Yeah, Shroud Assassin's are underpowered as poo poo unless you either:

A)Homebrew them, and even then they usually won't be on par
or
B) Use some EXTREMELY legalistic assumptions about shrouds that describe them as seperate damage rolls that are part of the attack invoking them, allowing them to benefit from any vulnerabilites or extra damage one might deal.

From the charop forums- Look Very Carefully: The Shroud Assassin's Handbook

Honestly, I think that even if the authors of feats and powers and classes didn't always fully appreciate/comprehend this kind of legalistic interpretation when they wrote the powers, it's one of 4e's strengths that it CAN be parsed so precisely, and I would also support that interpretation of shrouds.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One instance of damage per shroud seems a bit much. I dunno. I feel like the wording is essentially "extra damage, just in other words" but distinction by omission of key words and proofreading errors are both things known to happen in 4E so who knows.

Anyway, something else entirely. I'm toying with the idea of giving my party a gun. Not in the sense that guns are a common weapon in the world, storywise it would be somewhere between a one-of-a-kind irreproducable special weapon and, at best, a prototype. I'd also like to invite them to use alchemical items more because one of them decided to be an alchemist, so I'm thinking about something that could be called the Alchemical Cannon. Now, it could be a reflavoured repeating crossbow and alchemy comes into play simply by making custom ammo - my favourite option but none of them uses ranged weapons and they probably wouldn't start just for that. So it could also be something like a grenade launcher that shoots regular alchemical items (or ammo-ified ones), but offers the option to load them up in advance so they don't have to waste actions drawing them (again, similar to a repeating crossbow). Regular bullets could reenter the equation as custom alchemical items, or maybe it's just the launcher, to keep things simple.

I'm vaguely aware of the Alchemical Launcher for Warforged but I'm not sure that's what I want this gun to do. It's mostly supposed to make using alchemical items a bit easier and introduce the concept of complex technology.

e: for story reasons, this should also be something an NPC companion can wield for a while, but if it's more complex than a single power it can just be his entire gimmick.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 17, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

One instance of damage per shroud seems a bit much. I dunno. I feel like the wording is essentially "extra damage, just in other words" but distinction by omission of key words and proofreading errors are both things known to happen in 4E so who knows.

Anyway, something else entirely. I'm toying with the idea of giving my party a gun. Not in the sense that guns are a common weapon in the world, storywise it would be somewhere between a one-of-a-kind irreproducable special weapon and, at best, a prototype. I'd also like to invite them to use alchemical items more because one of them decided to be an alchemist, so I'm thinking about something that could be called the Alchemical Cannon. Now, it could be a reflavoured repeating crossbow and alchemy comes into play simply by making custom ammo - my favourite option but none of them uses ranged weapons and they probably wouldn't start just for that. So it could also be something like a grenade launcher that shoots regular alchemical items (or ammo-ified ones), but offers the option to load them up in advance so they don't have to waste actions drawing them (again, similar to a repeating crossbow). Regular bullets could reenter the equation as custom alchemical items, or maybe it's just the launcher, to keep things simple.

I'm vaguely aware of the Alchemical Launcher for Warforged but I'm not sure that's what I want this gun to do. It's mostly supposed to make using alchemical items a bit easier and introduce the concept of complex technology.

e: for story reasons, this should also be something an NPC companion can wield for a while, but if it's more complex than a single power it can just be his entire gimmick.

"Extra Damage" is a defined game term that has a specific meaning. If the shrouds were supposed to be merely "extra damage" they would have been labeled as such. Further shrouds don't say "the attack does an additional 1d6.." which would lend credence to your argument that it would be extra damage in other words. However, the way the phrasing on shrouds is currently written, it essentially adds the relevant text to the effect line of the attack.

Whether or not each shroud counts as its own damage instance or if all shrouds count as 1 damage instance is a relatively pointless argument. If invoking each shroud grants a separate damage instance, it is still optimal to place 1 shroud and invoke it upon the next attack. Really, all the ruling that it doesn't grant an additional damage instance does is make the feats that grant additional shrouds useless, and prevent the assassin from occasionally performing a coup de grace in combat with all his shrouds, which is a bit of a flavor fail. I personally would rule that the assassin can use each shroud as a separate damage instance, to incentivize them to place all their shrouds and invoke them, rather than doing necessarily that which is mechanically optimal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just ran my first game! I had fun, and I think most of my players had fun. One of them didn't, but I'll see if I can't help him rework his character into something he'll have fun playing. Skill challenges were surprisingly well received, the one fight we had was a bit slow due to us learning the game but was overall fun, with lots of movements and tactics. The Cahulaks are crazy good weapons.

My players:
- A Dragonborn Sorcerer Templar, works for the new King Tithian
- A Mul Arena Fighter, crazy and looking for his sanity (a bit fishmalkish, but the players ahd fun, so heh)
- A Half-Elf Bard Minstrel, looking inconspicuous
- A Mul Battlemind Nomad, just trying to survive
- An Elven Druid Elemental priest, who wants to bring back the rains
- A Dwarven Druid Primal Warden, who wants to bring back balance (the players who didn't have fun because he thought Druids would be closer to their 3.5 versions)

I'm crazy excited about the next game in two week. So far 4E seems to be what i wanted it to be.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's obvious that each invoked shroud isn't a separate instance of vulnerability-proccing bonus damage, and even more obvious that the Assassin's Shroud power is missing the word "extra". That is to say, it should read "the attack deals 1d6 extra damage per shroud", not "the attack deals 1d6 damage per shroud", since the existing wording implies that the shrouds somehow overwrite the damage the attack was actually going to deal. Even if it instead said "additional" or "complimentary" there's no reason to believe that the whole affair doesn't sum to a single damage total which then interacts with vulnerability or extra damage in the usual manner.

The way you include a shroud assassin is a game is by making sure the other characters aren't all built exclusively to ping an enemy with Vuln 30 All with twenty separate instances of 1d4+40 damage.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Shroud Assassin suffers by compare even in lightly/near unoptimized parties, though, so. While treating every individual shroud as a damage roll is probably going too far, shroud invocation as a whole being a damage roll is an interesting method of lifting Assassin up out of the well of suck.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
In a lightly/near-unoptimized party, shroud invocation being a whole separate damage roll wouldn't help because it wouldn't be true that every enemy is constantly suffering vulnerability to all damage and separately adding extra damage to every attack thrown at it and so on. You'd be like, hooray, this is a separate damage roll! But it just deals its listed dice expression anyway because we aren't piling on the game elements that care.

I don't think the shroud assassin is that bad in unoptimized parties, though. Its main problem is that it can't take multiple turns per turn the way that rangers, rogues, wizards, and fighters effectively can. If you roll with rogues that don't stack up on the minor action attacks, wizards that that use fire-and-forget dailies, etc you'll be working on the same basic math that your friends are.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For what it's worth, he's having fun, the main source of frustration for him wasting his shrouds when he misses. The others taking down a shrouded monster is even a secondary concern. I think a small problem is that he never seems to think of just putting on one shroud and invoking it immediately (which would put his damage on roughly the same level as that of a ranger, rogue or warlock), it's usually all or nothing. It has lead to some nice one-shots but I might have to tip him off that waiting for four shrouds works best for elites and solos.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Except the rogue will by their features will do more damage than an assassin. Per turn, at heroic, an assassin deals 1d6 extra damage per turn while the rogue does 2d6. At paragon, the assassin will do 1d6+3 while the rogue will do 3d6. At epic, the assassin will do 1d6+6 versus the rogue's 5d6. While the assassin can stack shrouds, this both reduces their damage for the turns they don't invoke them and runs the risk of the creature dying before the assassin can activate the shrouds.

Edit: That was in response to Ferrinus, but it works with My Lovely Horse, too.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 18, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's true. Scratch the rogue. Never played or DMed for one very long so I don't know their details.

And of course, the warlock can have multiple curses up, the ranger can hold back his extra damage until after a confirmed hit etc...

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
For what it's worth, they do have around parity with the warlock. But the warlock has the curse benefits and is also partly a controller. And the ranger also has parity, but it has dual strike, so it comes out ahead there.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
There are more things than just vulnerability that care about being a separate damage roll - some of them are difficult to apply to Shroud, but they exist.

djw175 posted:

Except the rogue will by their features will do more damage than an assassin. Per turn, at heroic, an assassin deals 1d6 extra damage per turn while the rogue does 2d6. At paragon, the assassin will do 1d6+3 while the rogue will do 3d6. At epic, the assassin will do 1d6+6 versus the rogue's 5d6. While the assassin can stack shrouds, this both reduces their damage for the turns they don't invoke them and runs the risk of the creature dying before the assassin can activate the shrouds.
This is even worse than it seems at first glance, since Assassins can typically only apply one shroud, and only on their turn. Rogues can sneak attack once per turn, but since there's no need for it to be their turn, they're also able to stick sneak attack on any off-turn or granted attacks they may be given. The same thing applies to Warlock's Curse.. and, of course, Executioner's Attack Finesse. Ranger's limited to once per round, but can invoke that at any point during the round, and it has features like Prime Shot to make up for it. Other classes, like Sorcerer, just apply it as a flat bonus and thus sidestep the issue entirely.

Sure, Assassin has Night Stalker.. but it's conditional and also doesn't have any tier scaling, so even if you were landing Night Stalker consistently and rolling shrouds, you'd still fall behind again by Paragon. And you're still the worst choice for granted attacks.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

For what it's worth, he's having fun, the main source of frustration for him wasting his shrouds when he misses. The others taking down a shrouded monster is even a secondary concern. I think a small problem is that he never seems to think of just putting on one shroud and invoking it immediately (which would put his damage on roughly the same level as that of a ranger, rogue or warlock), it's usually all or nothing. It has lead to some nice one-shots but I might have to tip him off that waiting for four shrouds works best for elites and solos.

This is the most important thing.
As long as the guy is having fun, then just school him a little on different ways of using his shrouds.
Make sure he understands that there is no difference to him unleashing 2 shrouds twice and 4 shrouds once.
Make sure he understands that losing his shrouds on a miss is not a bad thing - hell he is getting damage on a miss which no one else gets to do outside of dailies (unless there was only one, so in that case there is no downside)
If he has 1 or more shrouds on a target and he gets a bonus to hit from flanking or another character buff then he should invoke them
If he wants to go for the big impressive one shot, build them up on a target that no one has engaged yet (a little un optimised but hey)
If I remember correctly there are also a bunch of attack/utility powers that interact with shrouds in interesting ways - make sure he is using these too.

On paper their extra damage mechanic is not as good as the 3 original strikers (rogue, warlock, ranger) but they still work in their role and can contribute to a party - they are far from being a seeker or vampire.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

It's obvious that each invoked shroud isn't a separate instance of vulnerability-proccing bonus damage, and even more obvious that the Assassin's Shroud power is missing the word "extra". That is to say, it should read "the attack deals 1d6 extra damage per shroud", not "the attack deals 1d6 damage per shroud", since the existing wording implies that the shrouds somehow overwrite the damage the attack was actually going to deal. Even if it instead said "additional" or "complimentary" there's no reason to believe that the whole affair doesn't sum to a single damage total which then interacts with vulnerability or extra damage in the usual manner.

The way you include a shroud assassin is a game is by making sure the other characters aren't all built exclusively to ping an enemy with Vuln 30 All with twenty separate instances of 1d4+40 damage.

I won't argue with you about whether or not EACH shroud invoked grants a separate damage instance, or not. The wording is vague enough that it could go either way, but it is certain that invoked shrouds are a separate damage instance. Since the power is missing the word "extra" the shrouds are not granting the defined game term "extra damage". Further the ability was never errata'd to reflect this, so by RAW, the shrouds are an extra instance of damage rather than "extra damage". Shrouds don't overwrite the attack as the ability doesn't say "instead of" any where in its text. You can argue about RAI until you are blue in the face, and I could even concede that your perception of the designers intent is accurate, but that would not make you any more correct about how shrouds actually function, which is how I outlined in my above post.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Madmarker posted:

I won't argue with you about whether or not EACH shroud invoked grants a separate damage instance, or not. The wording is vague enough that it could go either way, but it is certain that invoked shrouds are a separate damage instance. Since the power is missing the word "extra" the shrouds are not granting the defined game term "extra damage". Further the ability was never errata'd to reflect this, so by RAW, the shrouds are an extra instance of damage rather than "extra damage". Shrouds don't overwrite the attack as the ability doesn't say "instead of" any where in its text. You can argue about RAI until you are blue in the face, and I could even concede that your perception of the designers intent is accurate, but that would not make you any more correct about how shrouds actually function, which is how I outlined in my above post.

So I activate my shrouds hit with an attack that should deal 5 damage. Now the attack deals 5 damage and 1d6 damage, also known as 1d6+5 damage. Where does it say those two instances separately proc vulnerability, extra damage, or other rules toys? It doesn't. In fact, the language states that shroud damage is considered to be coming from the attack, not from something distinct from the attack and therefore entitled to separately trigger whatever special conditions apply to that mysterious, second entity.

The simplest assassin buff is probably a flat declaration that an assassin automatically and for free places a shroud on anything they attack, 1/turn, in addition to shrouds they place by activating powers or triggering feats or whatever. Then they, like other strikers, would be at least reasonably attractive to grant attacks to.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The assassin also suffers from lacking feat support, not just in terms of lots of feats, but in terms of good feats.

Like, consider. At Paragon, any Warlock's going to take Twofold Pact, which lets you curse two enemies/turn. The closest comparison for the Assassin is Killer's Insight (a Heroic feat), which lets you put two shrouds on one guy...once per encounter. And then half their Paragon feats are dumb fiddly concealment poo poo or buffing racial powers for more "1/encounter, get something useful out of this feat" stuff.

If they either added shrouds to targets per attack, or could spend additional actions for more shrouds (hell, make it a feature called Studying the Target, letting you spend a minor for a shroud in addition to the free action 1/turn or a move for 2, then bump those numbers up by one at either Paragon or Epic or with a feat or something), and suddenly they'd start looking a lot more competitive.

And all that, without having to rely on the most disingenuously Charoppy interpretation of the relatively straightforward language of

quote:

If you invoke your shrouds, the attack deals 1d6 damage per shroud, minus one shroud if the attack misses, and all your shrouds then vanish from the target. This damage roll never benefits from bonuses to damage rolls, and is in addition to the attack’s damage, if any.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
What the assassin needs is minor/multi/off-turn attacks so that it's not worse than Rogue in every respect. I really like the assassin and its features/utilities, but it's attack powers suck something fierce.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

quote:

and is in addition to the attack’s damage, if any.

That phrasing makes me think that they were very deliberate in not using the words extra damage, as extra damage cannot be applied to attacks that don't already deal damage. They wanted you to be able to kill somebody with a Bull Rush or something.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone run Zeitgeist in this thread? Was thinking about running it for my group and was wondering if there is anything I should know off the bat about it. Been reading through the players guide and about to start the Campaign guide. I do also realize it's not done and they are taking their sweet time to finish it

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cerepol posted:

Anyone run Zeitgeist in this thread? Was thinking about running it for my group and was wondering if there is anything I should know off the bat about it. Been reading through the players guide and about to start the Campaign guide. I do also realize it's not done and they are taking their sweet time to finish it

I subscribed to the whole thing, and get an update every couple months, which . . . seems about right, for the level of quality they're producing.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

homullus posted:

I subscribed to the whole thing, and get an update every couple months, which . . . seems about right, for the level of quality they're producing.

Cool I'll probably try the intro see if my group like it then grab a sub.

Those updates, how long ish do they last in terms of sessions? I mean if I start now I'll have a bunch of backlog but I'm kind curious

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 18, 2014

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cerepol posted:

Cool I'll probably try the intro see if my group like it then grab a sub.

Those updates, how long ish do they last in terms of sessions? I mean if I start now I'll have a bunch of backlog but I'm kind curious

Forums superstar dwarf74 is the only one I know of actually playing through it right now.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Really Pants is running Zeitgeist here.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cerepol posted:

The main thing I noticed is that NPC dialogue is extremely bare-bones--just a couple lines per scene, along with some basic motivations and response guidelines. You have to be pretty good at improvising, or at least better than me, to keep it rolling well at an IRL table.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cerepol posted:

I'm running it and loving it. It's well made, and very fun. The designers understand 4e better than the WotC designers, which is fortunate.

My only concern is that the maps are gigantic! Otherwise, it runs really well.

The first adventure is pretty short. Past that each one is probably 30 to 40 table hours if you're not rushing.

My biggest advice is to get player buy-in for the setting. Strongly encourage Zeitgeist themes, if not outright enforcing them; it runs way better that way.

Second, try and get your players to think kind of holistically and to keep track of NPCs. There are downloadable cards to help. Stuff like prestige and investigation require this.

I also prefer inherent bonuses. They work well, here.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

So I activate my shrouds hit with an attack that should deal 5 damage. Now the attack deals 5 damage and 1d6 damage, also known as 1d6+5 damage. Where does it say those two instances separately proc vulnerability, extra damage, or other rules toys? It doesn't. In fact, the language states that shroud damage is considered to be coming from the attack, not from something distinct from the attack and therefore entitled to separately trigger whatever special conditions apply to that mysterious, second entity.
Well, no, the language DOES state that it's treated that way. There are a few relevant rules at play here:

1) RC 222. "... an attack power might contain multiple damage rolls ... if a creature has a bonus to damage rolls and uses such a power, the creature applies the bonus to every damage roll of that power."

2) RC 223. "Extra damage is always in addition to other damage and is of the same type or types as that damage ... An effect that deals no damage cannot deal extra damage. However, a power doesn't necessarily have to hit a target to deal extra damage - it needs only to deal damage to the target."

3) RC 225. "Being vulnerable to a damage type means a creature takes extra damage from that damage type. ... For instance, if a creature has vulnerable 5 fire, it takes 5 extra fire damage whenever it takes that type of damage."

So, as mentioned upthread: Shrouds aren't an attack, they're part of the attack. However, they're not extra damage, which means it's not added to the rest of the power's damage, which can only mean it's a separate instance. This is further reinforced by the rule for damage rolls, since Shroud is a damage roll - it just can't gain bonuses to damage rolls. Since it's a separate instance, it would therefore trigger vulnerability independently, as it's another instance of taking damage.

Ultimately, this is RAW. It's not a disingenuous or charitable interpretation, this is How It Works. 4e's language choices are deliberate and intentional, to the occasional detriment of the designer who forgets that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

What I'm not seeing is any indication that a power with multiple damage rolls therefore triggers vulnerability or extra damage multiple times. You're right that assassin's shroud would be able to double up on bonuses to damage rolls... which is why it explicitly does not benefit from bonuses to damage rolls. Otherwise, multiplying an attack's extra damage by the number of damage rolls that attack requires, even when all those damage rolls occur in the same instant in response to the same single d20 attack vs. defense roll, comes out of nowhere.

If I had to pick a single biggest problem with your reasoning, it would be this:

quote:

However, they're not extra damage, which means it's not added to the rest of the power's damage, which can only mean it's a separate instance.

That doesn't follow. You can not be formal, capital-letters Extra Damage... but still be added to the rest of a power's damage. Nowhere in the book does it say that only things called Extra Damage are allowed to do that. 4e very frequently simulates rules concepts without directly invoking those rules concepts, usually to create loopholes or otherwise avoid triggering certain effects. For example, if I used a Move-action power to Slide myself a number of squares equal to my speed, I would be able to dodge Immobilized. In this case, by not being actual Extra Damage, Assassin's Shroud is capable of adding damage to missed at-wills, bull rushes, etc. However, there's no reason to assume that it counts as a helpful ghost who attacks simultaneous to your character and therefore doubles a bunch of your miscellaneous/weirdly-worded bonuses.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 18, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

What I'm not seeing is any indication that a power with multiple damage rolls therefore triggers vulnerability or extra damage multiple times. You're right that assassin's shroud would be able to double up on bonuses to damage rolls... which is why it explicitly does not benefit from bonuses to damage rolls. Otherwise, multiplying an attack's extra damage by the number of damage rolls that attack requires, even when all those damage rolls occur in the same instant in response to the same single d20 attack vs. defense roll, comes out of nowhere.

The "extra damage" from vulnerability happens whenever the creature with vulnerable takes damage. A damage roll is one instance of damage. Each time a creature takes damage, vulnerability pings. This can happen multiple times during an attack. Thats why "Extra Damage" is a defined game term, as is "bonus", those are modifiers to a damage roll/damage that do not count as their own separate instance of damage. Pinging vulnerability and abusing this fact of 4e design is a good portion of 4e striker optimization.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Madmarker posted:

The "extra damage" from vulnerability happens whenever the creature with vulnerable takes damage. A damage roll is one instance of damage.

Is it, though? Where's it say so? I'm pretty sure there's no such game term as "instance of damage". The vulnerability rules certainly don't use it - they just say "whenever".

What we do have, though, is this language in Extra Damage:

"Extra damage is always in addition to other damage"

And this language in Assassin's Shroud:

"This damage roll never benefits from bonuses to damage rolls, and is in addition to the attack’s damage, if any."

So the two actually work the same way. They're both in addition to damage. Why would one, but not the other, double-tap vulnerability and other miscellaneous not-technically-bonuses?

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

One attack spawning multiple independent damage rolls is weird, I agree, but that's what it is. Sort of like a multiattack with only one attack roll. I can't think of any precedent setters here (Hellish Rebuke, Flame Spiral, et al. wriggle free from helping here via being either Effect lines or having different timing rules), so I'm deferring in the hopes that someone like thespaceinvader wanders along with better knowledge.

quote:

That doesn't follow. You can not be formal, capital-letters Extra Damage... but still be added to the rest of a power's damage. Nowhere in the book does it say that only things called Extra Damage are allowed to do that. 4e very frequently simulates rules concepts without directly invoking those rules concepts, usually to create loopholes or otherwise avoid triggering certain effects. For example, if I used a Move-action power to Slide myself a number of squares equal to my speed, I would be able to dodge Immobilized. In this case, by not being actual Extra Damage, Assassin's Shroud is capable of adding damage to missed at-wills, bull rushes, etc. However, there's no reason to assume that it counts as a helpful ghost who attacks simultaneous to your character and therefore doubles a bunch of your miscellaneous/weirdly-worded bonuses.
Well, that's why I brought up the damage roll rule: because Shroud is still a damage roll, and independent damage rolls within a power are still treated as independent instances of damage. Going from the extra damage rule is just working backwards to the same conclusion: if it's its own damage roll, it's separate.

Ferrinus posted:

Is it, though? Where's it say so? I'm pretty sure there's no such game term as "instance of damage". The vulnerability rules certainly don't use it - they just say "whenever".

What we do have, though, is this language in Extra Damage:

"Extra damage is always in addition to other damage"

And this language in Assassin's Shroud:

"This damage roll never benefits from bonuses to damage rolls, and is in addition to the attack’s damage, if any."

So the two actually work the same way. They're both in addition to damage. Why would one, but not the other, double-tap vulnerability and other miscellaneous not-technically-bonuses?
Because it's called out as being its own damage roll in the same line. Instance of damage may not be a term, but damage roll is, and a damage roll that doesn't benefit from bonuses to damage rolls is still a damage roll.

That's seriously the only difference.

The Assassin rabbit hole is deep, unlike their power set.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It's not called out as being "its own" or an "independent" damage roll (more terms appearing nowhere in the rules). It's called out being:

A) damage dealt by the attack
B) damage in addition to any already dealt by the attack

That second part is how extra damage works. Extra damage is, and here we actually do have explicitly matching language, dealt in addition to any already dealt by the attack. So, unless you think that an enemy with Vuln 5 all takes 10 extra damage from a rogue striking from combat advantage, you don't have any grounds on which to claim that an enemy with Vuln 5 all takes 10 extra damage from an assassin striking with prep time.

An attack having multiple damage rolls is unusual, but it doesn't automatically spawn new rules in its wake. There are powers floating around 4e that deal, like, 2W + Stat weapon damage and also 1d6 thunder damage. Such a power is still a power which generates a single attack which has a single Hit: line attached.

"Damage roll" isn't the thing that triggers extra damage - the only thing it triggers is damage bonuses. Damage is. Having multiple damage rolls isn't the same time as dealing damage multiple times.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
No, but it's called out as being a damage roll, which is what makes it independent. It is not a modification to a damage roll, or a bonus, or extra damage. It is a damage roll. That has very definite meaning, since a damage roll is what all those bonuses and modifiers stick to.

RC 222, Damage Rolls: "When most attacks deal damage, they do so through a damage roll: a roll of dice to determine damage. Whenever a power or other effect requires a damage roll, it specifies which dice to roll and how many of them. For instance, an attack might indicate that it deals 2d8+4 damage on a hit. When a creature hits with that attack, roll 2 eight-sided dice and add 4 to determine how much damage it deals."

RC 222, Modifiers to Damage Rolls: "Many powers, feats, and other game features grant bonuses or penalties to damage rolls. A bonus to a damage roll is added to the damage roll as a whole, not to each die within it. ... If a creature has a bonus to damage rolls and uses such a power, the creature applies the bonus to every damage roll of that power."

This isn't the same for rogues: When Sneak Attack comes along as part of a successful hit, it's just as extra damage. You're right that there is a match between extra damage and in addition to, and normally I'd agree that would be enough to just rule it as poorly-worded extra damage, but in this case you're putting the cart before the horse: it's a damage roll in addition to the attack's damage.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just be a Monk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Just be a Monk.

Monks have there own rules weirdness to deal with. Specifically their poorly written, and therefore awesome, powers that let you use the attack technique of certain full disciplines as part of the movement technique. Dance of the Stinging Hornet is the first one that comes to mind.