Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Scrub Lover posted:

New Silent Hills trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NptycDmjZfU

It looks like a decent horror game but doesn't look at all like a SH game. I feel like they could have just created their own IP and it would still generate a lot of buzz due to the Kojima/Del Toro collab :shrug:

What exactly does Silent Hill look like these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yardbomb posted:

I'll continue to recommend HarshlyCritical to people that want good playthroughs of (Usually shorter) horror stuff. The guy himself admits that some of his much older stuff is of eh quality for a few reasons, but a lot of his videos are him just being super :effort: about terrible indie horror games and it's great seeing the polar opposite reactions of people like PDP or Markiplier for once.

He plays during the day with the lights on. :colbert:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

I'll continue to recommend HarshlyCritical to people that want good playthroughs of (Usually shorter) horror stuff. The guy himself admits that some of his much older stuff is of eh quality for a few reasons, but a lot of his videos are him just being super :effort: about terrible indie horror games and it's great seeing the polar opposite reactions of people like PDP or Markiplier for once.

There isn't a horror game in existence that is scary if you tell yourself not to be scared. Horror games need the player to willingly immerse themselves. This simple concept continues to elude most people including you and this youtuber.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Regarde Aduck posted:

There isn't a horror game in existence that is scary if you tell yourself not to be scared. Horror games need the player to willingly immerse themselves. This simple concept continues to elude most people including you and this youtuber.

Except HarshlyCritical only typically shits on small tryhard freeware games that aren't scary at all, but which contribute to click-baiting YouTube "personalities" and their masturbatory videos and annoying fanbases. Bad games need to get called out on being bad, and people should stop buying Early Access horror games that are bad just because PewDiePie and Markiplier played and shrieked at them.

Scrub Lover posted:

It looks like a decent horror game but doesn't look at all like a SH game. I feel like they could have just created their own IP and it would still generate a lot of buzz due to the Kojima/Del Toro collab :shrug:

This looks absolutely amazing, and there's nothing I don't like about what I'm seeing there. I kind of want a PS4 just to play that game, because I'm all but totally positive that it will never see a PC release.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

HarshlyCritical was pretty scared shitless playing Five Nights and PT. He does get into the games if they are actually good and not lovely indie tryhards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJDqNjJIPs

Noirex fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 18, 2014

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Agnostalgia posted:

Like a generic haunted house full of bugs and a big hand monster

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scrub Lover posted:

Silent Hill 4 was ten years ago. You are old. Your childhood is dead. Time to finish mourning it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any good LPs of horror games? I love the sense of seeing somebody to explore the game and trying to figure out what's what, but most of them aren't any good. I've mostly watched TFS Krillin plays but the screaming gets on my ears and some Besdt Friends LPs, which are alright.

There's a Current LP of Outlast by DumbRodent that I think is very good. He lets the atmosphere and the game speak for itself, and has a very soothing, calming voice that actually adds to the experience. And the aformentioned LP of FF2 by Egomaniac I found good as well.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Silent Hill 4 was ten years ago. You are old. Your childhood is dead. Time to finish mourning it.

That's exactly why the SH name doesn't need to be slapped onto something just to get attention from "old" nerds like me, especially if its only connection IS the name.

That being said:

"This concept movie was created just for internal purposes (to convince KONAMI that Kojima can do horror, i guess) and was not meant to be shown." [source]

Apparently the Haunted House video isn't Silent Hills, it's just Kojima flexing his horror muscle.

scrub lover fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 18, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Regardless, the visuals, the technology and the atmosphere in that video are pretty amazing. It could be cool if we get at least that degree of style in the actual game.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Scrub Lover posted:

I read that as "big band monster" and life was grander for a moment.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Literally Kermit posted:

I read that as "big band monster" and life was grander for a moment.

76 trombonemonsters in the big parade

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agnostalgia posted:

A shambling corpse.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
A zombie nurse with huge tits.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Clever Spambot posted:

A zombie nurse with huge tits.

Eugh, if there's one thing I wish Silent Hill would get over it's the whole "Hypersexify horrid abominations because every protagonist is a brooding white dude with complicated sex feelings brought out by the town and"

There's so, so much cool stuff that could be done with that premise and yet game after game it's Nurse Tits

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It worked well in 2 and would have worked well in Homecoming if they made Alex gay, but yeah I agree its mostly lazy as poo poo callbacks to 2.

Seriously though, Homecoming would have made a lot more sense if Alex was gay instead of being generically crazy.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 19, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I hope that Kojima at least uses the living toys in the actual game, we don't really see enough possessed toys in games. In fact I can't really think of any in recent memory. One of the early Resident Evil 4 builds had possessed dolls, but that version was never actually finished and released.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

I hope that Kojima at least uses the living toys in the actual game, we don't really see enough possessed toys in games. In fact I can't really think of any in recent memory. One of the early Resident Evil 4 builds had possessed dolls, but that version was never actually finished and released.
There ones in Fatal Frame 2.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Heather wasn't a dude, Silent Hill 1's and Silent Hill 4's nurses weren't sexualised. The only game that really applies to is 2.

The rest of the games don't count because they were made by unimaginitive retards. I'd say the huge, singular problem with the post-4 Silent Hill games is the idea that Silent Hill is about a town teaching a troubled protagonist with a secret a lesson with some dumb 'twist' . That was one game out of 4, every single 'proper' silent hill since has used the exact same concept (Origins, Homecoming, Downpour, Shattered Memories) it's time they gave it a rest.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I really like to imagine some Konami higher-up rolling their eyes as Kojima strolls in to tell them he wants to make something besides MGS--a Silent Hill game, no less--only to see that proof of concept video and completely lose their poo poo.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Accordion Man posted:

It worked well in 2 and would have worked well in Homecoming if they made Alex gay, but yeah I agree its mostly lazy as poo poo callbacks to 2.

Seriously though, Homecoming would have made a lot more sense if Alex was gay instead of being generically crazy.

i remember there was an oddly enduring fan theory that stated that Alex was transgender because. It kept cropping up in the weirdest places. Apparently it either came out of, or gained popularity on TVTropes, so that may go some way to explaining it.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Scrub Lover posted:

That's exactly why the SH name doesn't need to be slapped onto something just to get attention from "old" nerds like me, especially if its only connection IS the name.

That being said:

"This concept movie was created just for internal purposes (to convince KONAMI that Kojima can do horror, i guess) and was not meant to be shown." [source]

Apparently the Haunted House video isn't Silent Hills, it's just Kojima flexing his horror muscle.

Well, it starts with "P.T. Concept Video" in text. Seems to make sense to me that this in turn led to the P.T. demo.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

They had the hanging dolls in SH Origins but that game was poo poo

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If there was one good thing about Origins, it's that the Butcher was really frigging creepy. Well, the buildup to the Butcher was really creepy. Then you had a boss fight and that was lame.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Scrub Lover posted:

I can see they're returning to their silent hill 4 roots with the canned screams

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

If there was one good thing about Origins, it's that the Butcher was really frigging creepy. Well, the buildup to the Butcher was really creepy. Then you had a boss fight and that was lame.

I found it impossible to be creeped out while laughing at the lazy devs who just changed the shape of Pyramid Head's face and called it a new character.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Origins is a decent game, the soundtrack and some of the areas were nice. I've said it before but what really made it worse was forcing it to be a prequel and its clusterfuck of a development.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
This may be a myth but i heard they were basically handed the prerendered cutscenes by konami and were told to make a game around that, which would mean that the not pyramid head wasn't really the devs fault.

Overall origins was not bad, i enjoyed it alot more than homecoming.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I'd say Homecoming is the only Silent Hill game that really is legit bad, I still enjoyed my time with it though.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
0rigins had its moments, sure.
The theatre had an interesting gimmick. The row of peepholes in the motel was disturbing, although 4 had already tried the peephole thing.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I'd say Homecoming is the only Silent Hill game that really is legit bad, I still enjoyed my time with it though.
This, but Shattered Memories, and minus the enjoyment.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Poulpe posted:

Eugh, if there's one thing I wish Silent Hill would get over it's the whole "Hypersexify horrid abominations because every protagonist is a brooding white dude with complicated sex feelings brought out by the town and"

There's so, so much cool stuff that could be done with that premise and yet game after game it's Nurse Tits

I dunno, it was pretty rad in Catherine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hw-GzeIgOA&t=260s

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

lol ''it doesn't look like a Silent Hill game.''

Yeah, because after #2 they all sucked rear end. God forbid it becomes good again.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SH3's my favourite of the series, and I know several people who cite The Room as the one they like best.

In other news, opinions aren't absolutes :tviv:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I like Silent Hill 4 just fine, if only because I find it atmospheric enough to look past some really lousy gameplay decisions. As opposed to Downpour, which was the only Silent Hill I didn't feel like finishing since the monsters just pissed me off.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Clever Spambot posted:

This may be a myth but i heard they were basically handed the prerendered cutscenes by konami and were told to make a game around that, which would mean that the not pyramid head wasn't really the devs fault.

Overall origins was not bad, i enjoyed it alot more than homecoming.

Not exactly. What actually happened was it was originally being developed by Climax LA as a dark comedy game inspired by Scrubs. Konami realised it was being made by a bunch of incompetent idiots and dumped it on Climax UK to try and make something out of it. It was such a mess they told Konami that they'd pretty much have to change the entire thing and Konami told them they could, but they're not getting any extra time or budget to do so. The story, monster and level designs were redone in a week.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

"Quick, give every creature a QTE attack!"

Although I maintain that I liked what they did with the Butcher. :colbert:

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I give Origins a fair amount of slack considering the system it was created for and the other limitations it suffered from. Overall still found it pretty uninspired but at least it didn't completely piss me off like Shattered Memories (or the mere idea of Book of Memories) and it didn't reek of desperately trying to emulate the earlier games like homecoming did (here's the cult! and sexy nurses! and pyramid head!). It was basically exactly what you expect it to be: a portable prequel that didn't really try to do much differently or "rock the boat" and as a result was fairly dull and forgettable but at least it was relatively inoffensive.

The soundtrack was great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

SH3's my favourite of the series, and I know several people who cite The Room as the one they like best.

In other news, opinions aren't absolutes :tviv:

While I certainly don't think The Room was the best Silent Hill, I did really like some ideas it had. It was why the P.T. looked really interesting to me; this idea of a place of safety being slowly corrupted by some outside force. (The references to Hell not withstanding... that's an idea which I think should be retired from the series because it restricts things too much in the realm of personal punisment. Real horror should be ineffable; you lend a thing meaning, you lend it rhyme and reason, which takes some of the horror away. There was no reason Harry, Heather, or Henry got ingulfed in some strange, scary world; it just happened due to random chance, and that's what's scary. The only SH that did "personal hell" right was SH2, because they weren't so drat in-your-face about it.)

And speaking of that, "in your face" is what I think about that concept trailer. No slow burn to the scares, no gradually creeping out a person whith shifts to atmosphere, architecture or the environment, just BAM, maggots from the walls and a big hand reaching for you. It resembles more a funhouse than Silent Hill. However, P.T. does give me hope.