Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Tagra posted:

Rift is free and is pretty well polished.

Does Rift still have the population to handle the events in all the zones? I only played a few days at release, but already then the newbiezones were running out of manpower to handle the invasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I had lots of fun with Lord of the Rings Online. No idea how it is nowadays though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm looking for a turn-based strategy game with fixed starting armies -- no income or unit production -- with two-person, asynchronous multiplayer (i.e. upload turn files to a central server or play by email -- both people don't have to be connected at once.)

I was thinking of picking up Elven Legacy, but it looks like it only has hotseat multiplayer. Something similar would be great, though.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a turn-based strategy game with fixed starting armies -- no income or unit production -- with two-person, asynchronous multiplayer (i.e. upload turn files to a central server or play by email -- both people don't have to be connected at once.)

I was thinking of picking up Elven Legacy, but it looks like it only has hotseat multiplayer. Something similar would be great, though.

Check out Mode 7's games, Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex. They are different in theme (gun-play and football, respectively) but they both fit the bill of what you're describing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shab posted:

Check out Mode 7's games, Frozen Synapse and Frozen Cortex. They are different in theme (gun-play and football, respectively) but they both fit the bill of what you're describing.

How close to complete/release-ready is Frozen Cortex? It's very tempting but I don't really care for Early Access much.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How close to complete/release-ready is Frozen Cortex? It's very tempting but I don't really care for Early Access much.

It's a pretty straightforward game and the core is there and very solid--matchmaking, stats and leaderboards, replays, a few different gametypes. I picked it up about 6 months ago when it first released to Early Access (under the name Frozen Endzone; they changed it to downplay any connections to American football, which it is not) and it was extremely playable and fun, albeit fairly simple. They've since patched in stats for individual players and some more bells and whistles so I imagine it's pretty close to a release state, but I haven't played it lately to check out the changes myself.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Dongattack posted:

Does Rift still have the population to handle the events in all the zones? I only played a few days at release, but already then the newbiezones were running out of manpower to handle the invasions.

I haven't played in a few months but it seemed to have a pretty healthy population last time I logged in. I also played at release and saw a number of zones get overrun, but I didn't see that at all after F2P

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Chess, it's a classic.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shab posted:

It's a pretty straightforward game and the core is there and very solid--matchmaking, stats and leaderboards, replays, a few different gametypes. I picked it up about 6 months ago when it first released to Early Access (under the name Frozen Endzone; they changed it to downplay any connections to American football, which it is not) and it was extremely playable and fun, albeit fairly simple. They've since patched in stats for individual players and some more bells and whistles so I imagine it's pretty close to a release state, but I haven't played it lately to check out the changes myself.

Thanks, we'll probably go with this.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Chess, it's a classic.

If my opponent wanted to play Chess I wouldn't be asking you nerds for recommendations.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
This is a bit specific, but has anyone ever made an Elite clone where you're flying an old airplane instead of a spaceship? I remember a couple of old point and click adventure games (Flight of the Amazon Queen, The Heart of China) where the main character is a pulp adventurer/cargo plane pilot, but I've never run into an open world trading game based on that premise.

Edit: Closest thing I've run into myself was that PS2 dieselpunk mecha game that someone lets played a few years back, "Bumpy Trot" I think it was. But is there anything else?

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 19, 2014

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I really need a new PC game that's good to play for 5 minutes or an hour at a time, while stoned, preferably using just the mouse. FTL fits the bill absolutely perfectly, and I love it, but I'm getting a bit burned out on it after ~130 hours.

Other stuff I've played lately and really liked includes XCOM, Xenonauts, Civ V, One Finger Death Punch, and Papers, Please.
Stuff I've tried and not liked at all includes Desktop Dungeons, that Dancey Necromancer thing, Mark Of The Ninja, Bastion, Terraria, Blood Bowl, Binding Of Isaac, Kill The Bad Guy, Sword Of The Stars: The Pit.

Rather than waste more dosh on stuff that doesn't float my boat, I figured I'd ask you lot for suggestions. Got any?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know how well you'd do while high but I've been playing Puzzle Quest for 10-30 minutes at a time since January and enjoy every minute of it. It has become my de facto "I literally have 5 minutes to kill" game and I still feel like I'm accomplishing stuff.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

al-azad posted:

I don't know how well you'd do while high but I've been playing Puzzle Quest for 10-30 minutes at a time since January and enjoy every minute of it. It has become my de facto "I literally have 5 minutes to kill" game and I still feel like I'm accomplishing stuff.

Cool, sounds like the kind of thing, I'll give it a go. Ta!

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Fair warning: i realize dark souls/demon souls kind of fit this bit I don't want those games.

I'm looking for something similar to early mmo's like dark age of camelot/everquest. First person rpg with inventory management/ hotbar combat/ classes/ leveling/ loot/quests unique zones. Not TES. Two Worlds was sortaish close but more action oriented, looking for something a bit slower paced.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
So what's the scuttlebutt on Endless Legend?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Funktor posted:

So what's the scuttlebutt on Endless Legend?

It looks to me like it's a hell of a lot like Endless Space (which I hated), although some claim otherwise.

Past that, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659888

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Chomp8645 posted:

It looks to me like it's a hell of a lot like Endless Space (which I hated), although some claim otherwise.

Past that, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659888

It isn't anything like ES.

I think it needs time to sit - it only very recently got a major patch that revamped combat statistics and AI completely, so the balance and longevity of the game remains to be seen, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Take a Civ game, add manual combat that is fast-paced enough to be played through during multiplayer, and set it in a fairly inspired fantasy setting with wildly different factions, like one that can't even declare wars and uses mercenaries to do their work.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 20, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pipski posted:

I really need a new PC game that's good to play for 5 minutes or an hour at a time, while stoned, preferably using just the mouse. FTL fits the bill absolutely perfectly, and I love it, but I'm getting a bit burned out on it after ~130 hours.

Other stuff I've played lately and really liked includes XCOM, Xenonauts, Civ V, One Finger Death Punch, and Papers, Please.
Stuff I've tried and not liked at all includes Desktop Dungeons, that Dancey Necromancer thing, Mark Of The Ninja, Bastion, Terraria, Blood Bowl, Binding Of Isaac, Kill The Bad Guy, Sword Of The Stars: The Pit.

Rather than waste more dosh on stuff that doesn't float my boat, I figured I'd ask you lot for suggestions. Got any?

I'm gonna say DiveKick.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

madpanda posted:

Fair warning: i realize dark souls/demon souls kind of fit this bit I don't want those games.

I'm looking for something similar to early mmo's like dark age of camelot/everquest. First person rpg with inventory management/ hotbar combat/ classes/ leveling/ loot/quests unique zones. Not TES. Two Worlds was sortaish close but more action oriented, looking for something a bit slower paced.

Kingdoms of Amalur. It was an MMO in development that failed and got salvaged as a single-player game before the studio went under.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Hoping for something a bit older, tried the demo for Amalur and didn't like it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm looking for a business simulation-type game that I could run on a five-year old laptop (so something like Patrician IV would choke it up). I don't want something too finicky so things like Capitalism 2 or Football Manager are out. I've also already played most of the classics like Railroad Tycoon and Theme Hospital.

What I'm hoping for is a quirky gem without having to sift through the shovelware that seems to dominate the genre.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm looking for a business simulation-type game that I could run on a five-year old laptop (so something like Patrician IV would choke it up). I don't want something too finicky so things like Capitalism 2 or Football Manager are out. I've also already played most of the classics like Railroad Tycoon and Theme Hospital.

What I'm hoping for is a quirky gem without having to sift through the shovelware that seems to dominate the genre.

Have you tried Patrician 3?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

Port Royale 2 as well. It's like Patrician 3 (made by the same devs) but a little less micro-managey.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
This is kinda marginally within the threads parameters, but here goes anyway since i couldn't find a Hearts of Iron megathread. I saw the Hearts of Iron 4 gameplay premiere vid (here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGNpPz_W2A ) and thought "holy poo poo i need this". Should i check out the previous games?

I enjoy some Paradox titles, specially Crusader Kings 2, but i don't want to be bogged down in endless menus either which as far as i can see is the main HoI complaint. Can someone recommend the previous titles, or should i wait for 4 which seems a fair bit more streamlined?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Dongattack posted:

This is kinda marginally within the threads parameters, but here goes anyway since i couldn't find a Hearts of Iron megathread. I saw the Hearts of Iron 4 gameplay premiere vid (here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxGNpPz_W2A ) and thought "holy poo poo i need this". Should i check out the previous games?

I enjoy some Paradox titles, specially Crusader Kings 2, but i don't want to be bogged down in endless menus either which as far as i can see is the main HoI complaint. Can someone recommend the previous titles, or should i wait for 4 which seems a fair bit more streamlined?

Paradox Thread might be a better fit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Cheers!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

I actually have Patrician 4 on my desktop but I'm away from it for a while. I've also tried a bit of Port Royale 2 and it was OK.

What I'm hoping for is to find out that among all those Pet Shop Tycoon XLs and German Post Office Simulators churned out by fly-by-night Eastern European flophouses there's something that's actually Secretly Good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You must have tried Startopia since it's exactly what you want, but I will mention it anyway.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I have two requests, somewhat related. I love RPGs. I've played through most Western RPGs. I'm playing through Wasteland 2 right now. But, I'd like to expand my horizons.

To that end, I am now interested in MMORPGS and JRPGs.

MMORPGS

I have played and enjoyed The Secret World. I have played Guild Wars 2 and kind of liked it but didn't love it. I have played The Old Republic and hated it.

I really liked the storyline and several of the quests in The Secret World. I enjoyed exploring in Guild Wars 2, but couldn't get decent at the combat. I disliked the combat in The Old Republic, found exploration tedious, and the quest dismal.

Of primary importance in a good MMORPG to me would be a good storyline, well developed world, and exploration. Also, interesting quests(i.e., something more interesting than kill 5 monsters or click 5 spots on map.)

Of secondary importance are good crafting and customization options. By this I don't mean being able to play dress up or barbie or modifying your character model extensively, but a skill tree with lots of interesting options. And I love item crafting games. Also, this would be icing on the cake, but a good player housing system.

Right now I am between: World of Warcraft(which I have never played), Final Fantasy 14, and Wildstar. But I am open to other suggestions.

JRPGS

So as a fan of Western RPGs, I'm used to hearing this genre derided. But I've recently played Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 and absolutely loved both. The above factors play into this decision as well.

I don't love the anime art style, but its by no means a deal breaker. If there is some exemplar of the style that would overcome this bias, I'd love to try it out. What is a deal breaker is horrible voice acting, or voice acting that can't be turned off. I picked up Bravely Default and I like it, but the voice acting is abysmal, and this seems to be an issue in Japanese popular media that's been translated into English.

I love fiddling with numbers and several JRPGS seem good for this.

I am thinking the Persona series seems like the strongest candidate. System/platform is not an issue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

prometheusbound2 posted:

I have two requests, somewhat related. I love RPGs. I've played through most Western RPGs. I'm playing through Wasteland 2 right now. But, I'd like to expand my horizons.

MMORPGS

I have played and enjoyed The Secret World. I have played Guild Wars 2 and kind of liked it but didn't love it. I have played The Old Republic and hated it.

I really liked the storyline and several of the quests in The Secret World. I enjoyed exploring in Guild Wars 2, but couldn't get decent at the combat. I disliked the combat in The Old Republic, found exploration tedious, and the quest dismal.

Of primary importance in a good MMORPG to me would be a good storyline, well developed world, and exploration. Also, interesting quests(i.e., something more interesting than kill 5 monsters or click 5 spots on map.)

Of secondary importance are good crafting and customization options. By this I don't mean being able to play dress up or barbie or modifying your character model extensively, but a skill tree with lots of interesting options. And I love item crafting games. Also, this would be icing on the cake, but a good player housing system.

Right now I am between: World of Warcraft(which I have never played), Final Fantasy 14, and Wildstar. But I am open to other suggestions.

JRPGS

So as a fan of Western RPGs, I'm used to hearing this genre derided. But I've recently played Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 and absolutely loved both. The above factors play into this decision as well.

I don't love the anime art style, but its by no means a deal breaker. If there is some exemplar of the style that would overcome this bias, I'd love to try it out. What is a deal breaker is horrible voice acting, or voice acting that can't be turned off. I picked up Bravely Default and I like it, but the voice acting is abysmal, and this seems to be an issue in Japanese popular media that's been translated into English.

I am thinking the Persona series seems like the strongest candidate. System/platform is not an issue.

Just play WoW, it'll give you some decent fun and has far more content than the other two.

As for JRPG's, try Tales of Xillia on the PS3 or Tales of Vesperia on the Xbox 360. They both have very anime cel-shaded art styles, but have decent writing and english voice acting. Plus the english VO's can be turned off if you don't like it. If you have a Wii or WiiU, get yourself Xenoblade and The Last Story. Both have amazing english dubs and are worth hunting down despite the price they can command.

If you're going to dip into the Persona series, get Persona 3 FES first. Persona 4 improves on it in every respect, and should be played after it because of this. The writing and voice acting in both games is surprisingly really good and well worth checking out.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Guild gets recommended fairly often here. Is there a goon thread for it?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

prometheusbound2 posted:

MMORPGS

JRPGS

The FFXIV crafting is probably best that I've seen in an MMO, with each profession being treated as a class like the combat classes are. That said, it does feel clunky interface wise to WoW especially with how customizable WoW's UI is.

Wildstar... I wanted to like that game but the story just didn't grab me the way WoW's and FFXIV's did. It does have a pretty fun combat system though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

There isn't and never will be a better MMO than WoW unfortunately.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
I'm looking for some new PC 3rd person action / collection / stealth games to play. Games I've enjoyed are: Darksiders and the sequel, Saints Row Games, Arkham games, GTA games, Prototype 1 and 2, Infamous series, Ratchet and Clank series and games like that. I'm mainly looking for the more arcadey games closer to Saint's Row 4 but I'll take any recommendations at all as I'm just looking for some new games to pass the time in that genre. PC only sadly as I just sold all my consoles.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Onion Rings posted:

I'm looking for some new PC 3rd person action / collection / stealth games to play. Games I've enjoyed are: Darksiders and the sequel, Saints Row Games, Arkham games, GTA games, Prototype 1 and 2, Infamous series, Ratchet and Clank series and games like that. I'm mainly looking for the more arcadey games closer to Saint's Row 4 but I'll take any recommendations at all as I'm just looking for some new games to pass the time in that genre. PC only sadly as I just sold all my consoles.

Have you played the new Tomb Raider? It borrows the connected world elements from Arkham Asylum, combines it with some great shooting, has a lot of collecting hidden objects and scrap to build up your weapons, has a reallly satisfying bow and it was a game that completely surprised me because I was expecting it to be mediocre.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

al-azad posted:

Have you played the new Tomb Raider? It borrows the connected world elements from Arkham Asylum, combines it with some great shooting, has a lot of collecting hidden objects and scrap to build up your weapons, has a reallly satisfying bow and it was a game that completely surprised me because I was expecting it to be mediocre.

I have! I agree it was a really solid game and quite fun, I really enjoyed it and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel. Good suggestion though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Onion Rings posted:

Deus loving Ex.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You must have tried Startopia since it's exactly what you want, but I will mention it anyway.

Actually, no! I remember reading about that one but haven't tried it yet. Thanks.

Onion Rings posted:

Sleeping Dogs or Assassin's Creed 4?

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Actually, no! I remember reading about that one but haven't tried it yet. Thanks.

Sleeping Dogs or Assassin's Creed 4?

Beaten Sleeping Dogs and AC4 as well. I couldn't remember all the ones I had played through in my initial post so my apologies. Also good suggestions though! I'll check out the new Deus Ex as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Onion Rings posted:

Watch_Dogs? I hear it's not amazing, but fun for a while.