Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
South Slavs got me thinking: since Norse is going become Germanic paganism in Charlemagne and the South Slavs are also going to be pagans from now on, the history nerd in me kind of hopes that they implement some kind of system where the references to certain gods change according to your culture. It makes sense for Norse pagans to talk about Thor and Odin, but since the Saxons are also going to be sharing the same religion it'd be a nice touch if references to those gods changed to Donner and Wotan.

Also, since I'm Finnish I can tell that the gods referred to in Suomenusko events are very clearly the Finnish versions of those gods, which is okay if I'm playing Finland, but if I were to start as one of the lesser known Finno-Ugric tribes like the Permians it'd be interesting to see variations on those names.

That said, I don't see them implementing anything like this because it wouldn't have any perceivable gameplay value, I just find it funny when my Permian King swears by Perkele (which is basically a Finnish form of the Balto-Slavic god Perkunas/Perun that none of the other Finno-Ugric people recognize).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Hipster Occultist posted:

Man, how many times do I have to butcher the Knights Templar? I'm currently trying to force Britain to bend the knee to Odin, but I'm constantly facing 6k+ stacks of holy orders after my armies are already depleted from fighting their regular troops. :saddowns:

If you are still looking for help on this:

Whenever you holy war someone, always be sure to put at least 4k troops in or next to their capital province. When they hire holy orders, they always appear in the capital province, unless occupied then they appear in a nearby province. They'll show up with little to no morale so just send in your 4k troops and smash them for free, chase them around a bit, and eventually kill them getting free warscore the entire time. Then return to the capital to do it over again with any other mercenaries or holy orders to show up.

Edit:

Autonomous Monster posted:

What, an entire build chain or just one building level? Because. We're talking dozens upon dozens of raids just to kill a single holding here.

I'm pretty sure it's just one building level. But if you start early enough and focus on a specific area you can do it. But yeah either the guy got lucky or really really has it out for paris.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 18, 2014

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Could someone summarize what is new/changing in
Charlemagne and/or the next patch? I was out of the country when it was announced and I'm having trouble finding a source that gives a good rundown.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bold Robot posted:

Charlemagne and/or the next patch? I was out of the country when it was announced and I'm having trouble finding a source that gives a good rundown.

Moves the start date back to 769, adds more cultures, overhauls the tribal system.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also: ways of "upgrading" titles into higher tiers, i.e., turning a Duchy into a Kingdom, as I understand, and narrative events for Charlemagne's life.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bold Robot posted:

Also, tribal nations have "tribal holdings" instead of castles, bishoprics etc. You don't automatically get levies from them, you have to call them up like an ally so vassals liking you is so much more important as a tribal nation. Also, elective gavelkind succession, where powerful vassals can get your titles when you die as a tribal nation. Also, a vassal limit like your demesne limit so you have to delegate power more instead of directly controlling 100 counts as a king.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

Also, tribal nations have "tribal holdings" instead of castles, bishoprics etc. You don't automatically get levies from them, you have to call them up like an ally so vassals liking you is so much more important as a tribal nation. Also, elective gavelkind succession, where powerful vassals can get your titles when you die as a tribal nation. Also, a vassal limit like your demesne limit so you have to delegate power more instead of directly controlling 100 counts as a king.

Temple holdings apparently remain, probably for Holy Sites.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Man, that Nantes start is kicking my rear end. As soon as my ruler dies, some Liberator tries to take over. My vassals like me, not much, but they like me. So where do those 3.5k guys suddenly come from? I just have under 2k, and the are at Rome taking the Pope's lunchmoney. I'm hoping that Liberator guy switches up his armies, it's the only way I stand a chance.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pakled posted:

Also, a vassal limit like your demesne limit so you have to delegate power more instead of directly controlling 100 counts as a king.

But that's in the complimentary patch, and not the DLC, right?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
e: ^^ Oh, yeah, I believe so.

beedeebee posted:

Man, that Nantes start is kicking my rear end. As soon as my ruler dies, some Liberator tries to take over. My vassals like me, not much, but they like me. So where do those 3.5k guys suddenly come from? I just have under 2k, and the are at Rome taking the Pope's lunchmoney. I'm hoping that Liberator guy switches up his armies, it's the only way I stand a chance.

"Liberator" revolts are province revolts that have a chance of happening every month in provinces you own that have a different religion or culture than you, and for wrong religion AND wrong culture provinces it's pretty considerable. You can mitigate it by sending your marshall to suppress revolts until you get big enough that a single province revolt won't wreck you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
By the way, what's the best way to reorganize vassals? As an emperor, I'm sure I have a bunch of counts/mayors/barons/whatever that I could transfer to other people - is it just hunkering down and going through each of my 50+ vassals?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
What I did one time was to go through the vassals list in my character menu, hover over the relations and jot down any 'Wants Control of X' you find. It should be pretty speedy since that long string of text stands out among the other modifiers. As far as I know, there's no faster way to do it, which almost makes me want a notification up top for 'You have vassals that are De Jure vassals of another vassal' or something. One time during my world conquest, I lost track of it and had to beat down a large civil war that started because I had somehow ended up with seven baron-level vassals that should have gone to a powerful jarl who otherwise would have been my friend.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The Witch-King in the Paradox thread posted:

"Tribal titles" of the old kind won't exist anymore. This means all those titles will now be connected to the de jure mechanics. Of course, not all titles will exist at all start dates - so for example, the de jure Empire of Germania is only available in 769 (replaced by the HRE in later starts).
I thought holding types would change, but titular (tribal) titles would remain untouched. This is sounding like more of an overhaul than that-- updating for it won't be too difficult, I imagine, but now I am curious as to which entries where decide when a title's tribal and when it's not. Will it still be a landed_titles entry? Title history? Maybe province history sets holdings to tribal mode and the rest of it's determined from that.

Man now I just want to take a peek at the innards of the DLC, even if I can't play it yet.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ofaloaf posted:

I thought holding types would change, but titular (tribal) titles would remain untouched. This is sounding like more of an overhaul than that-- updating for it won't be too difficult, I imagine, but now I am curious as to which entries where decide when a title's tribal and when it's not. Will it still be a landed_titles entry? Title history? Maybe province history sets holdings to tribal mode and the rest of it's determined from that.

Man now I just want to take a peek at the innards of the DLC, even if I can't play it yet.

Seeing as it's meant to differentiate gameplay for pagans (according to the first livestream), it's probably tied to culture (to tie in with cultural change) or religion (probably unreformed).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
CKII sells 1 million+ copies

:toot:

Not bad for a niche murder/incest simulator!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Fintilgin posted:

There's still some hope left for this industry!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Congrats, that's a great milestone to hit :toot:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd look up my post in one of the old Paradox threads where I assured all the doubters that it would be the greatest game ~ever~, but.... :effort:

I'm assuming it's the best selling Paradox game ever, too. Suck on that HOI. :smug:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
For some reason the game has stopped letting me create titles. I control all of the de jure counties of Sweden bar one and can't create any duchies.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I'm assuming it's the best selling Paradox game ever, too. Suck on that HOI. :smug:

Look at this casual here.
You just don't realize how much more fun you'd have if the tech tree was expanded to have at least 50 different types of medieval units with each having proper rock, paper, scissors, kitchen sink mechanics and specific terrain bonuses. And nobles who act like command centers, which without will cause your armies to crumble.

Don't even get me started on how there aren't enough provinces to properly represent York's history, or why Constantinople should be five microprovinces to represent the sheer power East Rome had.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Apparently with the DLC that's 7 million units. Ish.

Glad to see the game has and still is making them money. I know I spent way too much on it already, even though a lot of it was sales.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Bel Monte posted:

--sperging--

No lie this is what I want. Make it so paradox, and also make each province be made of hexes

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Pakled posted:

"Liberator" revolts are province revolts that have a chance of happening every month in provinces you own that have a different religion or culture than you, and for wrong religion AND wrong culture provinces it's pretty considerable. You can mitigate it by sending your marshall to suppress revolts until you get big enough that a single province revolt won't wreck you.

I beat the bastard :D. Turns out my daughter just turned 16 while I was thinking about what to do. Married her to the prince of Hungary. Called him into my war, he sent over 14k troops. Then suddenly there were 10k more rebels, but I still was able to beat them all. I also started a plot to kill the leader, and forgot about it. After the war, while he's imprisoned, I get the message that my plot is about to fire. I pause the game to check how much money he has, I see it's over 200 gold. So I quickly banish him to get that money, and 2 days letter I get a pop-up that he was assassinated. Good riddance!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do I remember seeing somewhere that some important person had said CKII would be a flop and that Paradox shouldn't produce it?

Bel Monte posted:

You just don't realize how much more fun you'd have if the tech tree was expanded to have at least 50 different types of medieval units with each having proper rock, paper, scissors, kitchen sink mechanics and specific terrain bonuses. And nobles who act like command centers, which without will cause your armies to crumble.

Don't even get me started on how there aren't enough provinces to properly represent York's history, or why Constantinople should be five microprovinces to represent the sheer power East Rome had.

This would be so amazing and needs to happen. Even if it was just optional. All that work went into HoI3 they can just import it to CKII :colbert:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yes I remember someone at Paradox saying the game would be a waste of money or something. How wrong they were.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I feel like they've said that about everything that isn't EU or HOI.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

cheesetriangles posted:

Yes I remember someone at Paradox saying the game would be a waste of money or something. How wrong they were.

Fred Wester (the CEO) argued that they shouldn't make Victoria 2 as it wouldn't break even; he bet his hair on it, in fact. I don't know if he ever said something like that about CK, but the property was as obscure as Victoria before the sequel.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I assume it broke even at some point right.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Who would have thought that if you make the game good, people will actually like it despite low interest in an old crappy inceration. It's not like people who loved CK1 or Rome don't enjoy the same stuff in CK2 as everyone else, we just had to be willing to see past the bugs and lovely mechanics in previous games.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
Anyone have any ideas on when we'll see the charly? I'm thinking maybe November?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Well done to all paradox staff who read this thread (or are read anything from this thread), I think CK2 is the best game on the market right now and well deserving of a million units sold.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Bort Bortles posted:

This would be so amazing and needs to happen. Even if it was just optional. All that work went into HoI3 they can just import it to CKII :colbert:

I'd rather just have this:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I have, with this Prince Mayor:

Killed one Pope while a teenager in a field of battle
Put a leper-ridden greedy pervert as an anti-pope
Plotted to kill the next guy (1056% Plot rating, either everyone really hated him or nobody says "no" to the Prince Mayor anymore)
Appointed his son as a successor so he would be the next Pope
Then invaded the real pope in the name of his son (the real pope is now somewhere in Middlesex leading troops under a random count)
So now his son is the Pope.

"Our father who art in heaven...also our father right here on Earth..."

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 19, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's a good start? I feel like I've done every good interesting start with a decent long term goal, but I'm open to suggestions.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What's a good start? I feel like I've done every good interesting start with a decent long term goal, but I'm open to suggestions.

Emirate of Socotra. Long tem goal? Nestorian Arabian Empire, and mending the Schism (which for some reason is actually possible) :getin:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

ninjahedgehog posted:

Emirate of Socotra. Long tem goal? Nestorian Arabian Empire, and mending the Schism (which for some reason is actually possible) :getin:

I think it's left over from when Nestorian was an Orthodox heresy.
The heresies becoming dominant was added in Sons of Abraham, and later there was a patch that meant that Orthodox heresies could mend the schism etc. if they became dominant.
Then in Rajas of India Nestorian was moved to its own Religion.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Have you tried Matilda of Tuscany? It's a pretty good start for creating the Kingdom of Italy as a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire through fabricating claims on your neighboring duchies, and then you've got the long-term goal of creating the Empire of Italia. In my game I got lucky and won Jerusalem in the first crusade, meaning that I fulfilled all of the conditions to create the Empire after I secured Sicily and got independent.

Speaking of said game, my income is somewhere around 200+ ducats a month due to taxation, having lots of vassal republics and having finally vassalized the Pope, and I'm kind of starting to run out of things to do. I've conquered all of Africa (the De Jure Kingdom, not the entire continent) and at this point I'm basically just waiting for the Kingdoms outside of De Jure Italia (Sicily, Venice, the Papacy and Africa) to drift into my Empire.

Also, something really bizarre is going on in Europe: at some point one of the Godwins with a strong claim on England had become a bishop under the now-dismantled HRE, and when the HRE pressed his claim England became a Kingdom level theocracy with its capital in Holland. I've seen a number of claim wars and adventurer conquests on England and even though they always win the King bishop still remains the ruler. Might this have something to do with the fact that the King Bishop holds no territory in England and only holds the landed title of a single bishopric, so at the end of an adventurer conquest there's actually no appropriate land for the conquerors to take?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hmmm.

Ratpick posted:

Have you tried Matilda of Tuscany? It's a pretty good start for creating the Kingdom of Italy as a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire through fabricating claims on your neighboring duchies, and then you've got the long-term goal of creating the Empire of Italia. In my game I got lucky and won Jerusalem in the first crusade, meaning that I fulfilled all of the conditions to create the Empire after I secured Sicily and got independent.

I've never done Matilda, but I just finished doing the whole count to boss of the HRE thing in one of my recent games.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I've never done Matilda, but I just finished doing the whole count to boss of the HRE thing in one of my recent games.

The difference is that in Italia via Matilda you'll eventually have to fight your old boss for independence and then deal with two big Empires who both want your poo poo (if you become independent as King of Italy the Holy Roman Emperor will get a claim on Italy, and Sicily is de Jure Byzantine Empire so you'll have to deal with them too). If I hadn't gotten so lucky in my game I would've probably been crushed by the Byzantines and HRE a number of times in my game (especially that one time when they were allies).

e: One thing I noticed in my game: Become Paragon of Virtue is the best ambition as a Catholic king. If you have Papal investiture you can combine the insane opinion bonuses this nets you to just go to the Pope and ask for ALL THE MONEY and then spend that money on reshaping the college of cardinals to your liking. If you get a member of your dynasty (or just a vassal cardinal whose election you supported) in the Holy See they have a +200 opinion bonus towards you, which is basically four free requests for money.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'd rather just have this:

Why would you want the Scots fight the English in Provence? This doesn't make any sense.

• Locked thread